Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: Newly hived honeybees absconding

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bil1
Algonquin, IL

May 15, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6549848

Hived three packages of honeybees and within 3 days they took off. No comb built, no signs of swarming. Have one hive which survived by putting a queen excluder between bottom board and first hive box. Anyone have this happen and what remedies did you use.I had the entrance reducers removed as I should have probably left them. I hived new bees and now left the reducers and queen excluder in place. We will see if they go now.
jjslick
Benton, PA

May 18, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6564875

From the very little I know, when you hive new bees we are to cover the small entrance to the hive with a small chunk of grass and let the bees work their way through it. That way they will remember their location and return to the hive. I am very new at bee keeping also but I have been reading up on the subject. for sometime before getting my first hive. I have also been feeding my hive as I live in the North of Pa.
knpeterson
Waynesville, MO

May 18, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6565799

I had the same thing happen. 3 days and they tried to leave. Fortunately I came home before they got far (they were hanging on a tiny tree about 15 ft from the hive. I called the guy I got them from and he told me that sometimes they do that. They are still wildlife and have minds of their own. I have since convinced them to stay home. I don't know why they didn't like the home I gave them. I even sprayed all the frames with sugar water. They are happy now. I did have an entrance reducer but did not have it plugged. After hiving them a second time, I put a wad of grass in the little hole for a couple of days.
Lauraven
Eureka, CA

May 22, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6582999

They could have left because of a lack of food. Feeding them 1:1 syrup for a few weeks could help keep them in place, and help them build comb.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America