Photo by Melody

Self-contained Box Gardens: Disease or deficency ?

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 10, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6552298

These plants (Squash and cucumbers were planted 2 weeks ago. I can not believe the growth. Suddenly the leaves are beginning to develop brown spots. Any idea what is happening? The containers are self-contained but I did mix a slow release fertilizer rather than use the 10-10-10 strip.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6552309

Close up of one of leaves in question.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 15, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6553707

I hope you get an answer soon, because my cucumbers are doing the same thing, planted in coir with the fertelizer strip.
carol
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

May 15, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6553966

Are you seeing anything on the back of the leaves? This could be some type of sucking insect. Spider mites and white flies can do this sort of damage.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6554041

Mine do the same every year, it's mainly on older leaves and never on the new foliage. Never have figured it out. It doesn't seem to slow down production at all. I just remove the bad leaves.

Here's a link of Cucumber diseases that might help... http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Cucurbits_Foliar.htm
Jaywhacker
Kerrville, TX

May 16, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6554707

If the spots or patches are crisp and brown, underwatering is the most likely cause. If the area is soft and brown, overwatering is the probable cause. Watering during strong sunshine can cause something similar too. Beads of water form a magnifying glass for the suns rays and burns spot s on leaves. And that is my learned opinion...well...actually it came straight out of the book. :-)
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

May 16, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6556396

You all made me go outside and check on the Lemon Cucumber =).

Thanks for posting your question!
Jaywhacker
Kerrville, TX

May 16, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6556559

One more other thang...you notice in Ray's post above, he said it the spots showed up on the older leaves only and not on the new leaves. Thats what made me think it was a temporary over/underwater deal that didn't seem to really do much harm to his plants in the long run.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6556761

Thanks for the info Jay. Since it doesn't take over the plant, I've ruled out disease awhile ago. I just figured it's what cucumbers do and their older leaves just die off eventually, kinda like my squash does. The leaves do get very dry and brittle. Mine are in an EB so it's curious if over/under watering is my problem. With your info, I'm thinking our heavy morning dew and morning sun could be causing it. I've been picking a lot of nice cukes all week, so production is still good.
Jaywhacker
Kerrville, TX

May 16, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6556860

I have always had a hard time trying to figure our whats going wrong with my plants. My best books on the subject, with good explanations and pictures (I like pictures) are written by D.G.Hessayon who has written a series of "Expert" books. The two I have are "The Container Expert" and "The Greenhouse Expert." The Greenhouse Expert seems to have a little more extensive information on diseases and problems and has one whole page on Cucumbers.
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6556941

Ray, like you my first thought was that over/underwater made sense but how could that be true with self contained methods of growing? I had decided I would try allowing most of my water to be used before I replenished water supply, which I may still try. Your theory "heavy morning dew and morning sun could be causing it" very well describes conditions here currently. I am encouraged that none of you feel that production suffers. This is my first attempt at self contained gardening with anything but tomatoes. I am thrilled with results so far, but very pessimistic about any little negative aspect !! . LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America