-
AuthorContent
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6552435

This is one of my favorite herbs and I use it in numerous dishes for a little different flavor. Also, I like to make a tea out of it, letting a few leaves steep with a slice of lemon and a little honey. This is my relax before bed concoction. I also make a sage pesto. I mix sage leaves and flat leaf parsely with the other ingredients of a typical pesto and use it much as the traditional basil pesto.
Allwild
North, TX

May 18, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6564331

Nice article and I am saving your recipes! I also grow sage and it can be used in so many dishes, even added to grilled shrimp marinade. It does go well with fish!

I too enjoy an ocassional cup of sage tea. It is said to be associated with longevity. It's also used as a digestive stimulant.

This message was edited May 18, 2009 8:35 AM
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6566098

Seems like a lot of folks enjoy it in a tea. I should try it.

Thanks for the comments...jan
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 17, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8217020

I would like to know who can get sage to grow from seed??? Or maybe, I just do not have the patience, so who has the patience? Not me!

I also have had a little trouble maintaining sage? I plant it, it does good for a season or two, then it gets leggy or almost dies or does die during the winter.

No, I am not over harvesting like I did the first year (30 years ago) I got it.

I did maintain one for about five years (many years ago) that was right up next to an above ground swimming pool facing south.

I think I may have found my answer again too, maybe???? I planted it right up againest a metal building again facing south. That was two summer agos - looks pretty darn good.

Like all of your ideas, never tried it in cake, but have tried the tea one time, I mostly just chicken based soup, but that covers a lot - like pumpkin soup, butternut soup, .broccoli soup, cabbage soup that sort of stuff.
Allwild
North, TX

November 23, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #8227132

I grew sage from seed two years ago. Most of it died out when it got too hot; but one clump survived and came back from last year. I was actually surprised when it came back up in spring---we had a colder than usual winter. The clump that came back is still growing out there. It has been surrounded by other herbs towering over it all summer and seemed to appreciate the shade.

I'm planing on harvesting to use in our Thanksgiving meal, and dry the rest... freezing temps are expected Friday.

It hasn't ever flowered or gone to seed... hmmm not sure why? Does it take awhile to mature? I hope it sticks around many more years.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 23, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8227727

This I do know All Wild in Texas!
If you trim it tooooo much it willlll die!
You must not cut too much into the wood.
Best way to trim it is to give it a mohawk. Lightly harvest (trim) down the middle and leave the rest for a couple of weeks. Then come back and lightly trim down one of the sides, coulple more weeks the other side.

Blooming comes the second year in the spring. Can't have seeds untill it blooms, you know of course.
Allwild
North, TX

November 24, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8228351

Thank you Liquidambar2!

I will use your advise. And I hope to have blooms come spring!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #8229045

You are welcome, Wild Texas!
I am sure you will enjoy fresh sage this Thanksgiving, although I am humbled that you were able to be patient enough to start it from seed! Good JOB!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The 'seasoned' gardener cooks with sage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I use sage for everything... Sundownr 1 May 18, 2009 7:58 PM
Nice article about a favorite herb! Bookerc1 0 Nov 17, 2010 7:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America