Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

First Time WS#9 Stayin' Alive, Stayin Alive.....

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

I am assuming everyone is outside in the garden transplanting the huge amount of plants you wintersowed. ;)

How is it going?

Have you lost plants to transplanting?

How is the weather?

All of the poppies I put out died.. they never got very big in their containers so I am wondering if some of the earliest ones to germinate were kind of "stunted" in their growth. The same thing happended with my spinach. It germinated early and never got more than an inch high. Now it is quite deformed and setting seed in the container still only an inch high. I will have to just try that one again. LOL.

I was starting the massive planting adventure when the main water line for our irrigation broke. So my husband is busy plumbing away so that we don't lose the 4000 square feet of grass we just planted. Then we will be out of town until next Friday.

Is it wrong for annuals to be flowering IN their containers.... oops!

Thumbnail by LissaD

I have "Giant Purple Poppies", courtesy of klstuart. I sowed them 8 Feb, had germination by 13 March, ptransplanted them in HOS to 8 pots on 13 April, and I have now moved some to the garden and have VERY healthy plants; have given others away, and the receipients split them into individual plants before planting in the garden; and all are doing great.

On the other hand, the Escholzia (California Poppies) are a complete failure! Came up early, hated being in the containers, have yellowed and grown stunted. I'll continue to broadcast those in the open in the futire.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Many of my Cal. Poppies have disappeared- stolen by birds. I think they like seedlings for nesting material.

Some of my gaillardia disappeared, too. Only a tiny hole remains where they were plucked out by something..

Karen

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

I too have had a few plants just disappear. The latest (and right now the only one I can recall) is a profusion zinnia. I did fine just the very top of it but the root and stem were gone.
I have transplanted blue flax and it is starting to bloom, red flax looks like it will bloom soon, some scabiosa 'Bianca' which surprised me as it doesn't look at all like the blue scabiosa I had a few years back. The plant is much larger. Terese if you read this is this the way it grows. The leaves look like they might be getting more fine textured but it came up big leaved. I also have some knautia planted but am waiting on it. Wonder if it will bloom and if my soil will suit it. I have clay but my beds are so amended that the clay should not be a problem. Still have some sea holly to plant out but don't know where to put it. Today's article by Todd Boland was informative for me because I was wondering about the round leaves on these as my purchased plant has the cut leaves. About half of my wsing did not germinate.

I just mentioned the poppie because Lissa talked about her problems.

I have now transplanted several HOS of my Mesembryanthemums (Ice Plants) and given several away. Mine would be doing fine if it were not for a renegade Corgi who thinks replacing plants with bones is good gardening etiquette. We are working on this.

Lots of Cosmos have gone into my and friends' gardens by now. We will await results.

Joanna's Larkspur are going to be in many gardens this summer: the seed was SO GOOD. It is going to be interesting to see how it does under a variety of garden conditions.

"Poached Egg Plant" is my "ground cover du jour" this year. It germinated really well and I and several friends are busy planting the transplants.

klstuart's Giant Purple Poppy, even though she said she could send me only a few seeds, have been prolific, and I and several others are now waiting for it to bloom.

Echinacea "Paradiso" will grow in my garden and that of others this year, although I suspect it won't bloom this year.

I've transplanted several Monardas and Agastaches and am waiting to see.

[Edited for spelling.]

This message was edited May 17, 2009 10:42 AM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

i dont have my notes in front of me... but from memory [which fades easily]

i planted out 2 'wild cherry' tomato .... both eaten by some critter, along with 1 'desert 4-O'Clock

I also think 1 or 2 Red Flax has disappeared ... i think the neighbors dog was out there trompsing around.

I've planted out some Indian Summer BES, Merlot Coneflowers, Tunic Flower, Grey Mist MG [hope the bunnies didnt eat them] a few clumps of Golden Jubliee, about 7 Scarlet Milkweeds, 2 Bronze Fennel. and all the Yvonne Salvia seeds i had [9] .. there were some other plants.. i just cant think of them right now.

I have a HUGE chia of Fever Few that i have to figure out what to do with.

I'll be home on monday and i'll be a planting fool for about 2.5 days .... i'll be bringing up some agastache and other Butterfly & Bee attracting plants when i come back up.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have larkspur in 2 different spots. One is doing well and growing, the other I have put seedlings out twice and something is eating or taking them. I still have some left in the jug so will try replacing again. I have lost a few of the rudbeckia's due to the hard rain wew have had it look like.

My dill & parsley are sad looking but I will plant the this week to see if that helps them!

My 2 Bronze Fennel look good. Hope to get some of my Lady In Red salvia out this week.

My zinnia aren't big enough yet to put out.

4 Swamp Milkweed look good that I have out. Still have more sprouting.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that reminds me... i planted out 2 pink milkweed also. No Lady in Red yet... i forgot to sow them. Ops. I hope there is still time. i can direct sow them.

also put out my celosia wheatstraw ... such a neat lil plant.

Oh yeah...I planted my 1 zebra mallow and my Cleome....

I just sowed the the Asclepias curassavica last week that you sent me...forgot about it. Hope it's not too late for it!!

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

I could have sworn I planted out 5 Larkspur -- not huge, but about 2" and healthy. Not something that would simply disappear in 4 days without "outside intervention." Now I only have 4. And it's behind a fence, so deer are not culprits ....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I am transplanting teensy tiny celery and onions while I remember what they are!

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

They're predicting 38 degrees tonight .... is anyone else covering anything up? I've never taken steps to protect anything before, and I'm uncertain if I should ...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't think WS stuff needs to be babied any more than it did in Jan. or March.

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

I planted out my Lavatera Silver Cup and it was very healthy. I woke up this morning and something had nibbled all the top leaves off. I took one of the tops of my milk jugs and just staked it over the tiny plant so that maybe the lower leaves will have a chance to fill in. What a pain, and I have no idea what could be eating it!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Bummer that it's yummy!

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

Ive been offline for the most part with my dad whose gall bladder ruptured and had complications with that. Two days before this happened, I transplanted several jugs into my garden and had enough left over to make almost 3 trays of transplants.I took one to my dad's and planted them and the rest were doing well until this past saturday. My momma cat for whom I made a safe haven away from the 3 neighborhood dogs, had her 4 week old kittens on the back porch playing. Didnt register....the next morning when i went out, the kittens had demolished my transplants...many I had planted in styrafoam cups. now shredded. upside down. dirt EVERYWHERE. its funny now, but when I vented to my dad I threatned to make cat soup.

During his stay at the hospital I had a bad case of poison ivy from pulling up vines, so today my dad actually drove over to spray for me because I seem to have a block where poison ivy is and every year he has to show me. seriously. so he saw my wintersowing jugs for the first time. He told me that he had been sceptic, that he really didnt think it would work, but he hasnt quit bragging yet about the bulk of flowers I have! ha ha we never get too old to get that seal of approval from our Dads, do we?

I have to say my poppies were weak too. My lavender is amazing. strong healthy. my larkspur is great. Ive given tarragon, cardinal climber, delphinium, columbine, rose campion, away. and there is still so much that needs to be planted but I missed several good planting days while i was at the hospital and now its rain, rain, rain, again. I'm not giving up.
my herbs in freezer bags are full....tomatoes need sunlight as do my peppers. thats all I can remember @ 10:30pm. time to quit gardening for the day =)

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

I seriously have to take a picture of these poor deformed poppies. I looked out there today at the poppies I sill have in their container and I do believe they are trying to BLOOM! They are not more than 2 in high and most of them not even that, but they never really got big enough to transplant. I think I have the bonsai poppy experiment going on here. LOL. They are getting a fuzzy nobby head on them that looks just like a poppy should look, only smaller.

Nannie, I hope your Dad is doing better and there is no more poison ivy for you to deal with. We don't have any out here, I have actually never seen poison ivy in my whole life.

The very best results have come from the plain old milk jugs.

I LOVE the 2.5 gallon water containers that are big and square. I think it gives them just the right amount of filtered light. The seeds I sowed in the hard plastic juice containers did well for the most part, but they do produce hot spots and fried a bunch of little seedlings. Most of my milk jugs had beautiful foliage and produced very healthy plants.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Can't beat milk jugs. I use only those and 2 liters.

Karen

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lissa, I had something like that happen with Poppies a couple of years ago. I think it had something to do with staying in the container too long, and weather getting too warm. Mine had little deformed blooms in the jug, and didn't recover when set out. I think Poppies need to be set out when they're pretty tiny to work well.

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

All of the ones I put out a while ago were just little tiny and they all died. I thought I would see if these got a little bigger, but look at them. You can see the size of the plant marker in there. LOL. Of course I am going to be gone for 3 days now out of town so I may miss the end result here, we will see.

Thumbnail by LissaD
Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

On a more positive note, we replanted a whole yard of grass and I was watering it this morning. It is going to be amazing when it all fills in.

Thumbnail by LissaD

thanks. my Dad is doing great! a good friend sent a bar of Burt's Bee poison ivy soap in the mail. I hope I dont have to use it. I ended up buying Zanfill which helped more than anything. its pricey but I got results from one washing. Ive lived here 4 years, cleaned out the same flower beds each year and thought I was immune to it till this year.

Well, I couldn't stop. I sowed more this week: 4 kinds of sweet peppers that Klstuart gave me last fall, another round of garlic chives, and cilantro. something I got from ebay called jessamine, i think, and a tray of mexican sunflowers. I think thats all for the year.

I had a good bit of of kinds of heirloom tomato seeds, but only about 6-10 of each kind. So I used two liter soda bottles and tried some of the green colored ones as well. I have to say the green ones didnt do well...I got straggly, leggy plants. Ive been lucky so far and haven't had to water any of my jugs but I gave the tomatoes a dose of fish emulsion and left them opened up. I decided I will wait a few more days till the temperatures are warmer at night on a consistent basis, not like the 36 and 38 degrees we had earlier this week.

milk jugs still rock. i had less results in the freezer bags. keeping them up was the hardest part. I'll try to take the camera with me and show you how 'messy' they look. ha ha I guess results is more important than looks.

Well something..I think the bunnies.. ate my milkweed babies. aargh!! AND the Zebra Mallow is gone....

AT least my cleome, larkspur, salvia, fennel and rudbeckias are hanging in there!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hooray for your cleome, larkspur, salvia, fennel and rudbeckias!

How is it that we have a "nannie" and a "nanny"? My DD's name is Nancy and we call her "Nan" and then "Nanny" sometimes. She's 15 -- you two are probably older than 15. ^_^

:) yeah..just a little!! I have 2 GD's(sisters) one calls me nana and the other calls me nanny..go figure!!

It does make me have to pay attention to the post! lol

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Funny.....

and my name is Phyllis, LOL. i always look twice too because I think I am nannie and am 54

my g'kids call me nannie.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I wonder what my grandchildren will call me....? (My daughters are 15 and 18.) My step-grandchildren (who have known me their entire lives) call me Carrie.

I hadn't really given it any thought...but after the GD was born. Somebody at worked asked me what I was....grandma, nana, etc. and then our DH asked us both what we wanted to be called...which I thought was really nice of her. Never mind what all she had just put us all thru!! (18 & still in school.. the dad in jail...blah blah)

Nana just had a nice safe, comfy feel to it for me...and I wanted that baby to be safe & comfy.

I planted out my sunflowers yesterday...I am running out of room and still have some stuff in jugs...not good!! LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I never had a Nana, but I had a Grandma and a Ma. (Ma was not like Maw and Paw, it was a very elegant abbreviation for Grandma, so I guess it really should have been 'Ma!) Grandma has a lot of other associations for me, and Nanny is what we call my daughter Nancy,

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I am no where near ready to be called Gramma or anything close to that... we have told our kids that too.... "Not ready for Grandkids."

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hence I am Carrie to my husband's grandchildren.

Well, I asked to be called 'Nannie' when my DD got preg.
thats only because she wouldnt let her kids call me Grand-MaMa (you know, said with an accent like Grey Poupon) lol

my dgk are from Atlanta, GA so when they say it, its real slow and sounds like Nan-eeeee. the youngest loves to call me Phyllis, like he's really pulling something over my head.

gotta love em' . and you can always send them back home

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We're not talking about WSing any more, and it's all my fault! Sorry . . .

Something is eating well on all my babies...about a third of what I plante dout saturdy is now gone!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

nanny -- i think it was last year, when i posted about disappearing seedlings.... someone commented that birds will eat them too. i had originally blamed the bunnies... though i do have a lot of squirrels too.

I'm away for a few weeks... i hope when i get back in June i still have some plants left.

yesterday i planted some Honey Bee White, Agastache and some Verbena Bonn.
I hope they do well in part sun. I think they get a bit in the afternoon.... cant check today as we are cloudy, but i just checked and they have perked back up again after being planted.
I gave one of the Lavatera Silver Cup to one of my lady friends up here... she's excited about it... even said she didnt care if it didnt bloom, since she loves the foliage.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Have a good trip, Theresa!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Carrie... oh, it's just fabulous... .just me and the pooch.[we're in an RV park in Lake Delton, WI ] I hang out with Sr citizens all day... we play bingo on weekends, cards during the week -- eat out a lot... though since i'm by myself... friends keep inviting me over for dinner.
DH will be up here in about a week.

I get to garden all day long if i want. But i'm doing 2 common areas with plants ... some of them are my WS plants.
I will do before and after shots of the "Flag Pole" bed where i'm yanking the Lily of the Valley and attempting a butterfly garden. If the rain holds off today... i'll get some of it done.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sounds like aot of fun!!!

You are right...Theresa...could be birds especially out in the garden area!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.