Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: white flowers/green then red berries - please help identify!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flwrchld70
Clinton, MS

May 16, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6555941

I'm wondering if anyone here can assist in identifying a plant I received as a gift. Nobody (even the person I received the plant from) seems to know anything about this plant except that it's pretty hardy and can be planted outside in the ground, although I have mine in a planter.

It has long leaves, is somewhat "bushy" and the leafy part has a similar smell to tomato plant leaves. It produces small white flowers with deep yellow middles. After the flowering, green "berries" begin to appear (though not from the place where the flowers were). The berries are NOT grouped, but rather spread out all over the plant and they eventually turn deep red/orange. Also, when the "ripe" berry is cut open it's skin and insides look very similar to a tomato. Full size berries are about the same size as cherry and/or grape tomatoes (maybe a few mm's smaller in diameter).

The flowers bloom from the bottom of the stems and the berries sprout from the top.

I've enclosed several closeup photos and one from a few feet away (with my front door in the background) to give access to "scale" the size of the plant.

When I first received the plant this past fall I took it to a local nursery and they were unable to identify.

Thumbnail by flwrchld70
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flwrchld70
Clinton, MS

May 16, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6555956

I'm sorry that the above message said there were several photos - it was a copy/paste to my county extension office and I thought I had edited properly. At any rate, I will enclose the "scale" photo so that you all may get a better idea of the size of the plant.

Thumbnail by flwrchld70
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6556026

Jerusalem cherry (Solanum pseudocapsicum). It's poisonous (don't eat it) and can be invasive in warm climates.
Fruticosa
Midway City, CA

May 16, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6556040

Just a quick, offhand guess, without comparing photos...
The Solanum genus contains a lot of plants that have berries that cycle through strikingly different colors, such as Solanum dulcamara, and I remember seeing one of those species in New York, so that might be a good starting point for search.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6556209

Definitely a Solanum of some sort, S. pseudocapsicum sounds like a good possibility. S. dulcamara has purple flowers so it can't be that one.
flwrchld70
Clinton, MS

May 16, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6556220

Thank you both. I'd actually found the Jerusalem Cherry plant in my searches but most of the images never matched up.

At least now I know not to eat the "tomato-like" fruit, which I wouldn't have without first finding out what sort of plant I have.

Anyway, I did another search for the Jerusalem Cherry and sure enough, there it was. Yes, you are right about how aggressive it is in a warm climate. I'm in Central Mississippi and the extreme humid weather here seems to have really made this plant explode in just the past month. Again, Thank you!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America