AuthorContent
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6556242

Hello all beekeper. Today I took some pics of my lovely field of Taraxacum.
I have buy the field to save the wonderful flowers for my bees.
I have thinking about collect seeds from other kind of taxacum I know there is plenty.
Sylvia in Sweden

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6556298

Close up

tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6565180

Over here, those would be dandelions, I think. The bees love them! The beekeeper who's bees are in my yard asked me not to mow them until they've gone to seed so the bees can enjoy them.
How many hives to you have? I've just got a small suburban yard - enough room for one hive.
Deb
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6565840

Hi Deb
yes of course it is dandelions, we start beekeeping last spring, we had two hives this spring. Last week we buy another beevillage (do you say so!?)
So now whe have 3 hives.
Itīs very interesting.
Sylvia
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6566023

Hi Sylvia,
I love to watch the bees going about their work. I have a very small orchard and lots of blueberry plants for them to pollinate. Here we just call them beehives. I think beevillage is probably more appropriate. Here is a picture after the hive received it's second level, about 2 weeks ago. Do you harvest the honey? for sale or for yourselves?
Deb

Thumbnail by tamberlin

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2009
7:00 AM

Post #6568865

Hi Deb
we donīt get so much honey last fall, only for us relatives and near friends. Perhaps we get more this year, we have the bees for it is a nice work, first for ourself, and if we get much, we try to sell it to people drive passing our house.
About beehives or beevillage I think we can use both. But when I talk about beevillage I meant the bee and their inhabitant. And when I say beehives, I mean the boxes they live in. :o)
Iīm not so good in the languare, to write, I think I understand better.
A picture from today, enclose
Sylvia

tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #6568962

What lovely hives! I love the landing pads for the bees. I'll have to show Paul (the beekeeper) - maybe he'll be inspired to spruce up his hives with some more color!
Deb
PS: Your english is great! Better than my swedish!
curzio
Kenosha, WI

May 20, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6573659

we don't use the expression bee village ... we refer to the insect body as a colony. beekeepers often have several hives (several colonies - usually each colony only has one queen) in different locations. The location is called a bee yard.

I'm a member of Dave's Garden who specializes in potato crop. I return frequently to check on beekeeping but don't see much relative info being posted. I've joined a much more interesting group on www.freedomgardens.org - search for the group named Bee Keepers
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6574362

Hi Curzio,
I'm trying to grow potatoes again after a long hiatus. I stopped because my DH is diabetic and potatoes were by far the worst thing for his blood sugar. Now that he's got it under control, I'm trying again. I'm trying two varieties, Prairie blush and russet. Both are in "potato hi-rises". I'll try to get a picture later. Do you also grow sweet potatoes in WI?
I'm hoping that the bees in my yard will dramatically increase my vegetable and fruit yields. If they don't, it's been enjoyable watching them do their work at least.
Paul, my friendly beekeeper, refered me to a blog called Hive Mind...the writer is very good. Here is the link: http://www.hive-mind.com/bee/blog/2009/
Deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America