Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Anyone ever use the Horny Toad..

Lakeland, FL

All year I've been pitching and flipping rubber worms.Today I decided to leave the rubber worms home and go topwater with the Horny Toad in Bull Frog color..I had 7 big boil ups .My first 4 I didn't know how to set the hook..plus the exploded water freaked me out.LOL Here's a 22 inch 5 pounder I boated this morning .I boated 6 in all. I tossed a weedless spinner bait as well.

Thumbnail by Chuck7
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice Fish Chuck . when do the Carppies start biteing again ? paul

Orange, TX

Say, phicks thats that new preppie species carppies? lol Just funnin ya man. Nice Bass bro.

Lakeland, FL

Paul..the crappie start biting in late November..

Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

I have both the white and bull frog horny toads but i haven't had any luck :( My friend swears by them but i haven't seen any results. I fish in frostproof and crooked lake alot. Down here i have had pretty good luck with the Zoom Salty Super Flukes believe it or not. I use the rainbow shad color. But sometimes when i feel like sitting and not working i will go pick up some wild shiners.

Lakeland, FL

I've been using shiners as well. { -:
I can't get the bass to stay on with the flukes..although I got a hefty 2 pounder last week using a Carolina Rig..I got about 20 bass to bite the Horny Toad this year..It took quite a few misses to finally start catching them..
The toad will want to sink you have to keep it moving..squish. squish squish pause.....squish squish squish pause..then POW!! you get a big boil...don't do anything ..act like it's a bass taking a rubber worm..let him run with the taod..than set the hook..
My son recently got this 5 pounder on a Horny Toad as well in a private pit. I mostly use Horny Toad in thick hydrilla and eel grass..and lily pads.

The date is on his hat because I have an online tournament going on with another hunting and fishing forum. So far I'm in first place..It's the heaviest 2 fish ..ends Aug. 31st. We have a north and south division/

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 2:28 PM

Thumbnail by Chuck7

Now I am going to go fishing. Have you ever fished in winter haven?

Lakeland, FL

No Sir,
Never fished the Chain of Lakes..I have fished Lake Alfred a few times. I put a new carburator on my boat today. I only have a heavy duty 10 footer ...here I'll post a pic..Can easily hold a 800 pounds ..It's a Polarkraft.no rivets all weld heavy duty aluminum
note the benches..I cut them out to hold the life jackets and stuff.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 4:44 PM

Thumbnail by Chuck7

That is all you need man. I use a small Bass Tracker, works great for Crooked Lake. My buddy has a little custom job with a 9 horse on it that is perfect for some of the small lakes around here. I fish lake reedy a lot right off a dock and usually do pretty well with the bluegill and catfish.

Lakeland, FL

I work with a teacher whose dad is a pastor at Winterhaven .Their church is right on Lake Rochelle. I could fish there if I wanted. Have you ever fished that lake before?

No. I am just starting to "experiment" with the lakes in winter haven. I grew up by Crooked Lake and that was all I ever needed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.