p. incarnata (white form)

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

A new member of the family...

Thumbnail by gordo
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Amazingly gorgeous! I have been wanting a pure white Passiflora - where did you find it?

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Grassy Knoll.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks!

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

You're welcome. :)

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

That really is lovely. Congrats Liz!

Erick

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Erick!
I think you would like this one! Very easy to pollinate!
All kinds of new possibilities...

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

That is absolutely beautiful. Can you tell me if you root them or do they have to come from seeds? I have a red one and a purple one and just waiting for blooms to start so i can see how beautiful they are.

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Passiflora are more reliably obtained by cutting (clones) of existing plants, unless seed is produced in extremely controlled circumstances.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Gordo, I planted seed from a mollissima passiflora a week ago and was wondering if you know about how long it takes to sprout? Is there anything special you have to do to get it to sprout? I also planted seed for a chinese magnolia vine and it hasn't sprouted either. Just wondering. I've never been real good with seeds but couldn't find the plants. Is there anything you can tell me to help?

This message was edited Jun 3, 2009 7:37 PM

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Passiflora can sprout in 5 days or up to a full year. I've even heard of them sprouting in compost bins after being thrown away for two years! Just plant them, keep them between 75-85 degrees and moist, then wait. That's pretty much all you can do. I've heard of people using all kinds of methods to treat the seeds before they're planted, but the best bet is just plant 'em! ;-)

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I have an unknown white that I would love to start cuttings from but I never have luck rooting passis. I have a couple of seedings I started from some self pollinated seeds but they haven't bloomed yet.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

That one looks like P. edulis "Norfolk".

It does except "Norfolk" produces red/purple fruit. This one produces yellow fruit.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Dang! That sure is a pile of fruit!

At one time it had about 130 fruit. They were good. (tart but sprinkled a bit of sugar on them.) I cut it way back to the main leader as it was taking nearby trees. Does not sucker though which it a good thing (except when you want a new plant with the same characteristics. LOL) I may have to send some cuttings to someone with more luck then me in rooting them. I'm going to try air layering also. BTW, it also smells devine.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Could I try a couple cuttings of it? I can send you a purple hardy one from zone 7 for them. Mine have sweet fruit.

Mekos
Dmail me and will work it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images