Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ornamental Gourds: to trellis or not?

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 6, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
d_lilly
Vandalia, IL

May 18, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6563042

Ive been blessed with 4 --100' rows of bushel and bird house gourds..In the past I trellised my gourds,,,but it was probally only 20'...what is a good thining /space to have them,,and with so many,,what would youall do if it was you?? grow on ground?? put ? under each,,will they rot?? this is my first large quanty... rr the africans are doing well:):):) Dee
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6567621

Seems to me that bushel gourds would get too heavy to hang from a vine. Those could grow on the ground, and you could have the bird house gourds hanging from the trellis . . . could even make a tunnel out of it.
d_lilly
Vandalia, IL

May 19, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6568368

would you put wood to separate the dirt from the gourd? Road runner suggested pallets for the african gourds. This may be a big crop,,I am trying to be economical,,but want them not to rot,,excessively. Ive always wanted a tunnel..thank- you for the input Dee
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6569230

I don't know about pallets . . . for me, anyway! I wouldn't know where to get them! What I did last year to protect my gourds from the wet grass was use a layer of dried grass under the gourd. Still grass, but it was dried out, kinda like straw.
d_lilly
Vandalia, IL

May 20, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6572657

good,,straw is easy for me to get. thanks for the info! Dee
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6602848

I like the news that your Africans are doing well!!

I had some sheets of the stuff they put on houses before they put the vinyl siding on...it's sorta thin like Styrofoam (smooth)...it worked very well under gourds to keep them out of the dirt and gravel.

I think pieces of plywood would work well too...straw should do fine too...just anything to keep the gourds off the ground as they start to mature. Jo
d_lilly
Vandalia, IL

May 30, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6617725

Im down to 3 plants of AF, really 2 groups,,I was afraid to divde one pot.. weve had such a weird year,,cold for so long,,now 3" of rain in2 days..glad I mounded dirt around them last week. also it seems I have 4 club gourds that made it also..what shape are they? see ya Dee

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America