Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sea Hollies - Prickly Beauties: My experience

Communities > Forums > Article: Sea Hollies - Prickly Beauties
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sea Hollies - Prickly BeautiesReplies: 4, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cheerpeople
northwest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6564552

Nice article. Thx.

I have the kind that is more common, like in your second and third pic.

Visitors often point to it and ask if I'm growing a weed.

I don't like the floppy flower phase and have staked them but it really ruins the 'effect'.
They take 2 yrs to bloom from seed and if transplanted may not bloom that year either.
The pretty one I purchased ( your alpine pic) but it died after transplant.

So the jury is out. I'm pulling much of it out after growing it for 3 yrs, but it has roots to China and causes a lot of root disturbance to other plants to remove. I think I will next try Roundup on the ones I want to replace with something more attractive. I wish it stood tall and looked less like a weed.

K
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6565932

I've never had any species flop in my region but then I grow mine is open areas in full sun.
cheerpeople
northwest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6567287

Hmm. Mine are like yours then open and full sun and windy.
I have a pic on my trade list.
Karen
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6570579

Oh, cheerpeople, don't you hate it when someone thinks one of your plants is a weed?! --esp. when it's one you have been coddling along ? And, when I Do have a weed ( or more!), I remember this quote: "A Weed is only a plant that you haven't found a use for yet!" Todd, I have always loved these blue flowers, but I never see them here in S.TX., only in pictures. I like just about any blue/purple flower, but these are so unique; do you know if they would grow down here, or is it too hot & humid?
skiekitty
Parker, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6570615

No wonder that these didn't grow from seed for me. Also, only 1 nursery here ever gets them.. and they ALWAYS look really scraggly, so I haven't had any luck. Which is a crying shame considering how gorgeous they are!

Petalpants - I would recommend delpheniums (sp?). If I can grow them, ANYONE can grow them! I have more than just a black thumb.. the only thing I seem to be able to grow is daylillies (who can't?) and roses! However, I bought in spring 08 some $0.99 delpheniums at Home Depot and planted them. They were so teeny and pathetic.. and they BLOOMED! like crazy! And, they're already back this year and almost a foot tall! Seriously, I'd go for them. Also, I think they're called "concord spiderwort". Awesome plant.. love humid and tolerates wetfeet! AND is good for cold winters (but you're a zone 9.. *sigh* I wish!!!). My leaves are coming in a dusky purple this year after having a dusty green color last year. If you look in the DG Plantfiles, it's under Concord Spiderwort but my flowers are a lot more darker than these show. I also like Gold & Blue Spiderwort, but that requires almost full shade. Spectacular plant, however!

Thumbnail by skiekitty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sea Hollies - Prickly Beauties Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article jadajoy 2 May 16, 2009 6:21 PM
Great article aguy1947 0 May 18, 2009 11:12 AM
invasive Dollykat 2 May 18, 2009 7:17 PM
Sea Holly kbeehalperin 2 May 19, 2009 8:34 PM
sea holly fairladymi 0 May 18, 2009 1:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America