Photo by Melody

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Anyone know what's wrong?

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 8, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6569391

These azaleas were planted about 5 or 6 years ago in Cincinnati (zone 6.) They have done really well until this year. 3 of the plants still look pretty good, but two are looking terrible. Any idea what is causing the deterioration?

Thumbnail by MaryEv
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6569400

a few more pics

Thumbnail by MaryEv

MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6569404

I wasn't sure what would help identify the prob., so I took several shots

Thumbnail by MaryEv

MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6569408

last one...and thank you in advance for any help! :)

Thumbnail by MaryEv

arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6571117

You have a lacebug infestation
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2009
10:59 AM

Post #6573603

Lacebug? I'm not familiar with those...what do you do to get rid of them? Any suggestions? There are dogs around who I don't want to poison!
Stovall_Gardens
Nahunta, GA

May 20, 2009
11:13 AM

Post #6573621

I agree, Lacebug, also you can find some sprays or dusts that are harmless to pets. If you are primarily spraying the plant, I doubt a dog would be harmed by it, I spray plants all the time and have dogs and a cat whom wander all around in my greenhouse and my shrubs, none have ever been harmed. I would recommend Bayer sprays, I found one that is awesome, I think it is called Bayer Advanced Complete, which is for turf and plants, I spray all of my plants, from orchids to begonias, and some cacti and have had NO problems at all. I had a plant someone gave me that infested a couple of plants in my house, I used it, bam bugs are gone, and the spray has a residual effect, it is water proof after one hour and is considered a systemic spray, which means the bugs will continue to be killed long after you spray.

I will advise it is a bit more costly, I paid $12.50 for mine, but it is worth it, they offer it in the type of bottle you can attach to a hose, also a bottle that you dilute yourself, which the later is the best buy. When you spray the Azaleas, be sure to get the undersides of the leaves, basically drench the whole plant to the point of run off. I also advise you spray it very early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the sun will not be pounding on it to burn it. Hope that helps, if you need any more info, dmail me, I will try to help if I can. Good luck and ACT FAST with an infestation like that, it needs treatment asap, and you may have to repeat the treatments a few times to be totally rid of it...oh, and you might want to spray surrounding plants as well, as bugs will travel when you spray!
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #6573660

Thank you both! I'll get to work on this, this weekend. I really hate using insecticides, but hate bugs eating plants even more!
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6576778

I've used neem oil or Safer soap with success. There are still a few lacebugs sometimes but the plants are healthy. Azalea lace bugs generally won't damage plants too badly, except in sunny locations - maybe you can move the azaleas to a shadier spot?

Stovall Gardens! I forgot about my order, I will send you an d-mail tonight.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America