Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: KOI died

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 15, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6576516

One of my favorite KOI died today.
Reason unknown.

Checked out the water :
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Hardness 75
Alkalinity 300
Ph 9
Ammonia 0

All the other fish seem to be OK
Bleeding from the Gills.
All was OK this morning.
Any Ideas.
Doing a partial water change today and tomarrow.
4500 gal pond with two filter systems and waterfalls.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6576626

No clue...but, I'd add salt, to put a slime coat on all other fish. It will also kill simple bacterias and fungi,so if anything is lurking, it may get it under control. Are you using a an enzyme "good bacteria" pond additive, such as KoiZyme?
I can't imagine gill flukes would have that quick of an effect, with no other "pre" symptoms such as gasping for air around the water out-take. It's also odd for only one to die when all pond conditions seem to be ok, and no other fish are showing signs of anything.

But, occasionally...fish just die... bummer :(
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6576721

I jumpstarted mine with Zyme. Looked it over and the skin was perfect. Put in another tank with oxygen and salt. but it was too far gone
Just kep watching the others. They are behaving just fine and eating every chance they get .
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6576759

I hope it was just a one off situation and not a health issue. How old/long was this koi? How old is your pond?

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6576938

Pont is four years old and he was about 12 inches. I liked him because his nose was blunt and was three colors. Bright orange on top of his head.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6602500

Bleeding from the gills is one of the symptoms of KHV. Have you added any new koi in the past 30 days? Since it's been 6 days since you last posted how are your other fish?
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6602611

No no new fish. Lost another one yesterday I guess. But found it in the skimmer. Had been there a while going by the smell. LOL
The rest of them are doning fine.
Lost my waterpump today. Have to go to town tomarrow and get another one. Away goes another 200.00
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6602780

Oh My! Sorry about losing a second koi. Do you know why it got into the skimmer? Losing a pump is a bummer. It's happend to me too. I now have a spare, completely plumbed and ready to drop in at the first sign of trouble. My pump went out in the middle of a Saturday night. No way to get one until Monday and it was touch and go keeping the water oxygenated until I could get the replacement. I kept draining off some old water and adding fresh with as much splash as I could arrange. All day and all night Sunday. I don't ever want to have to do that again. What brand pump was it. Mine was a Danner Mag Drive. The impeller wore out.
evesta
Kearney, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6609683

What water tests do you use? If it is a dip stick I would get some API dropper tests because they are more accurate. With such a high ph just a little amonnia could be toxic and bleeding from the gills could be a sign.

How often do you normally do water changes?
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6609867

evesta - You've go it! pH 9 is high (and the outer limit of tolerability for koi). I don't use the testing strips for either of my ponds or my aquarium. They're just too unreliable. Ammonia is much more toxic at a high pH. You're one smart cookie to catch that.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6614786

Checked the PH and it is still high. The water source is OK, but rain runoff makes it go back to a high number. Cannot do a large water change because it will go below the skimmer intake. Have a bottom drain so it is easy to let out a little every day. I added one pint of muriatic acid yesterday and another today. Will check it again in the morning. 4500 gallons is a lot ot time to refill.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6615093

I admire your efforts T5. I don't have bottom drain. When I do a 50% water change ( which I just did) the fish just hang around in the ever shrinking water. It does go below the skimmer but I've turned off the pump anyway so it doesn't matter. I have a separate pump just for water changes that I lower into the deep part with a veeerrry long hose that pumps the water out into the lawn. I do this twice a year. However, I'm only dealing with half the volumn you are so it doesn't take as long. I use two hoses to put fresh water back in so it goes pretty quick. The fish love the refill part. A twelve hundred gallon water change takes about 2 hrs hours total. If I vacuum the bottom of course it takes longer. Rain here is acid/soft and actually lowers the pH. All the surfaces surrounding the pond slope slightly away so that there is no ground runoff. Geography sure makes a difference doesn't it? Is your pond 9000 gal? That's huge!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6621784

PH is 7.5 Ya! Ya!
Now to start on getting rid of the Pea soup.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6622095

If you don't have the UV's installed in the Savio skimmer start a piggy bank, save up, and install them. The bulbs do have to be replaced after 12 months of use time on the bulb. It's still worth the cost. You'll have no regrets.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6622686

Question on the UV's
5000 gal pond. Use one 50 watt on one side or use two 25 watt on each side of the skimmer.
You are right about the piggy bank. Needs a big one.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6622839

One 25 on each. That provides more bulb surface area and a greater volume of water passing in front of the bulb. You want as much water exposure to the bulb as you can get. More exposure means better algae kill.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America