Photo by Melody

Hydrangeas: Varigated Hydrangeas getting eatten alive!

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 10, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Youngbb
Miramar Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6578807

My three baby varigated hydrangeas' leaves were being eaten about a couple of months ago as they were growing out for the season, so I sprayed them with diazinon (I am still working with a bottle purchased a few years ago) which usually takes care of any infestation. But am still having this problem. This year in the NW gulf coast of FL there have had a lot of problems with slugs. Do you think this may be the problem and what should I use to combat this? They are looking terrible.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6579738

If it is slugs, I would get Sluggo or something along those lines (make sure you check the active ingredient on the front label though--iron phosphate is the safe active to use, metaldehyde is another common one but is extremely toxic to pets so I definitely wouldn't recommend it). Sluggo has iron phosphate as the active so if you can find that brand then you're OK.
Youngbb
Miramar Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6594827

Thanks, I will try that. Someone said something about beer...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6594879

You can use little dishes of beer to trap them--they will crawl in and drown. I remember doing that to catch the slugs in our strawberry patch when I was a kid. But it's kind of gross because you have to clean up the dishes with the dead slugs at some point, vs with Sluggo you just sprinkle it around and forget about it, no cleanup needed!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6611788

I have been using Sluggo here in my NW Florida yard, and with our humidity and sudden rains, it turns into a solid cake and the slugs can't eat it. I am thinking of buying the liquid and spraying it on my Brugs.
Youngbb
Miramar Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6781098

Thanks Everyone, after spraying twice they started coming out beautifully and now are blooming. Can't wait for next year when they are larger (hopefully).
Kay, this Spring I came over to the Garden Tours in PC. Brought home lots of Daylilies from Dragon's Mead on N. Holland Road.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6781884

I wish you had dmailed and let me know about your visit - I am too new to the area to know about gardening events.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

July 12, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6811179

Can anyone give me some advice about cutting back the oakleaf hydrangea? Mine is simply over powering!

Shirleyd
Zone 7b
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6811396

You can prune 1/3 of the stems a year until you have pruend them all. Start with the oldest ones and end with the newest ones on year 3. Consider transplanting the shrub if this will become annual gardening chore.

Oakleafs will produce flower buds starting this month so, if you do not want to loose bloomage, it would be best to prune after blooming next year and before the end of June 2010. If this is not a problem for you then feel free to prune 1/3 of the stems now.

For more information, see http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

July 14, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6816213

Thanks----I will give it a try--------if I can get a cool (cooler) day---

Shirleyd
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2009
11:08 AM

Post #6817410

Yes, it is way too hot with daily 100s over here and morning temps in the 80s. I lost a rose that had to be transplanted due to work being done to my property. I never recommend moving/transplanting in the middle of the summer (unless you have to) as the transplant shock and the temps are too great of a problem.

Keep an eye on the soil moisture with those oakleafs. They are very very sensitive to too much moisture (root rot). I lost an Alice Hydrangea (oakleaf) because we got too much rain for three months and the saturated ground did not dry so well (part clay, of course). It was on a high spot and protected by a tree (from sun and rain) but that was not enough. They also tend to grow rather large so believe it if the plant label says it will get large, ie, allow space for growth around it. That Alice would not have fit in the spot I had it after a few more years.

There is a cold front approaching though. Should do down from 106 to 97... sigh... Stay cool.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America