Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions: Columbines in Berkeley Springs WV

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris CompanionsReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ayla2
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6579293

Hey Critter
We're neighbours within an hour and a half. Great article on winter sowing. I really had spring fever this year and bought more seed than I can possible plant this spring. Some major winter sowing needs to happen here in WV. I am passionant about growing heirloom varieties of fragrant flowers, roses, and vegetables. I also grow and use herbs for medicinal teas and healing balms. I am really overwhelmed with my garden chores and dreams, but trying frantically to get it all done. I work full time away from home, ughhh so garden time is a luxjury.
I lost 2 summer's to frozen shoulders that put a complete stop to any activity requiring use of my arms. Imagine what happened to my Iris beds. Total nightmare due to Johnson grass invasion. Ahaaa well, I will prevail. The Iris's will have to be moved and possible herbicide used on the grass. I will be planting columbine with the Iris in their new location, thanks to your article. Just had my first intoxicating whiff of Julia Child Rose... my dreams are slowly progressing to fruition. Thanks for the inspiration. If ever you'd like to meet and exchange seed's or plants that would be great.
Just reaching out from my little paradise to yours. I'm a newcomer to posting.
Green Blessings to all
Ayla
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6579306

Urk. I'm battling that nasty grass here, too. I've tried a grass-specific herbicide with mixed results (worked better last year; maybe it's just too old now).

I'm glad you've started posting! Please drop by the MidAtlantic Forum... we just had a great plant party up at Holly's in PA... we plan get-togethers pretty regularly. And you're welcome to stop by here, any time... just let me know if you'll be in the area, and I'll send you directions. You'd probably feel right at home in the Herb Forum and in Cottage Gardening, also.

:-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article roserairie 3 Feb 3, 2009 1:08 AM
Columbines as Iris companions leopoldconnecti 22 Feb 3, 2009 1:16 PM
zone 4 winter sowing maddyrose 5 Feb 5, 2012 10:58 PM
Good Article phicks 1 Feb 3, 2009 1:02 AM
Great info on Columbines, Jill! tabasco 1 May 22, 2009 9:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America