AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #6581417

Old thread way to long. It takes a long time to come up for me & I'm on high speed.
We came from here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986840/

Bernie

This message was edited May 21, 2009 9:49 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6581559

Thanks Bernie!

We had a beautiful clear day in the mid 80's.
Looking for the same thru Saturday afternoon.
Then T-Storms Saturday afternoon thru Tues... but still in the 80's.
Our Ave High should be mid 70's. Our Lows though are staying about right at mid 50's.

Punch list is getting very small at the Dayton remodel.
We went up today to avoid the drama.
Got a lot of the nagging little things done.

Here's our Rose from yesterday.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6581691

Another very nice day here. Upper 70s and a slight breeze.

Pretty rose, Ric.

Thanks, Bernie.

I found this headless cat today. It made some funny noises.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2009
9:52 AM

Post #6582040

Marylyn HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Bernie I wish I could have lilac here. Our lawns are in the same mess. Lots of cleanup to do.
Adina Your path is going to look great when finished!
Celia - That has happened to me before. It takes one second to start a fire. Love the Gaillardia! Its not the time of year for this type of weather here. Kinda late in the season for us. Im not going to complain though our aquafirs are getting filled up.
Ric Gorgeous rose!
Celia Im cracking up! Monty is so cute LOL!

70.7 F
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 68 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2200 ft
Scattered Clouds 3000 ft
Overcast 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

High surf advisory in effect until 4 PM EDT this afternoon...
Flood Watch in effect through this Evening...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 8 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Mostly cloudy and windy. Showers likely in the morning...then showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High76. East winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

At lest the rain chances are getting lower! Tree down

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6582163

Our weather is finally straightened out. 55 to 65 overnight & 70's daytime. Beautiful for holiday weekend.
I see the money hoarder gasoline companies have figured out it is a holiday weekend. Gas has been on the rise for last few weeks. It hit $2.459 yesterday. Don't the stupid *******
know they are the cause of the falling economy ?
With high gasoline prices, we will be in the same boat this fall that we were last year.
Make people spend their earnings on gas, with nothing left to buy other goods. It's a no-brainer, how come the fools are so stupid ?

Off the soap box.

Everyone have a great weekend!
Bernie

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6582433

Gas rose up quickly price as day is $2.04 then next day is $2.14 so I did get some gas for my van so in 2 hours later rose up to $2.27 then 3 hours later price down to $2.24! What the world keep price goes up then drop down again... Make up the mind what they doing for!

Pink Iris bloom today...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6582547

Thanks, Sharon and Celia! :-)

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie.

LOL at the headless cat, Celia.

That's a beautiful iris, Rusty!

There's a 30% chance of rain today and a 50% chance tomorrow. I was going to water the garden tomorrow morning, but maybe I'll wait... Right now I need to finish cleaning the house so the babysitter won't run away when she gets here tonight. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (54 min ago)
Temperature 74 F 23 C
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 73%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.7 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NE 50
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 69.1F / 20.6C

Today Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent in the morning increasing to 30 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. North winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6583257

71.6 F with 83 fopr our high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 14000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

We're in for a wild weekend.

"SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED ACROSS SOUTHERN AND EASTERN UTAH DURING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND...

MOISTURE... MORE TYPICAL OF THE MONSOON SEASON OF JULY AND AUGUST... WILL SPREAD NORTH ACROSS SOUTHERN AND EASTERN UTAH DURING THE UPCOMING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. THIS WILL LEAD TO AFTERNOON AND EVENING THUNDERSTORMS THROUGHOUT THE WEEKEND. HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THESE STORMS... WHICH COULD POSSIBLY LEAD TO LOCALIZED FLASH FLOODING WITHIN FLASH FLOOD PRONE AREAS OF SOUTHERN AND EASTERN UTAH."

Sharon, Monty gives endless pleasure just watching the stuff he does.

Rusty, very pretty. Crazy prices makes you wonder what's going on.

Ric, things have to get better, don't they? I can't imagine our economy collapsing completely. We've been through this stuff before and will again. Good luck.

FINALLY got these in the ground this morning. Guess I should have looked at the weather before I did. Oh, well, at least they'll be somewhat protected.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 22, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6583585

51*F - overcast, but nice. Highs to 60's.
Thanks for the new thread, Bernie. Sounds like all kinds of damage to be taken care of. Sorry to hear that.
Adina~the rock pathway will be so nice; lots of hard work but, rewarding, too.
Celia~so cute~
Rusty, such a gorgeous blossom~very nice.
ric~it's a good feeling to have some of the small projects done and out of the way, isn't it? Love the rose, too.
Marsue ~ I know what you mean; good weather here, and terrible weather in other places.
There continues to be major ice/flooding in parts of Alaska along the rivers as the ice continues to go out.
MySharona~hope it's beginning to quiet down ~ what a welcome to the new location.
New growth on the Spruce trees.
Happy Anniversary, Marylyn.

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 22, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6584200

Hi, guys! Thanks for appreciating my path, I'm still working on it. That is another lawn I sowed , so it'll be between the rocks too...I hope it gets well! I just found a visitor in my yard, a cute little kitty...the dogs are outside at the fence, watching her. She was hungry, ate a lot and now she's lying outside on the window. DH seems to want to keep her...keep your fingers crossed so he doesn't change his mind!LOL
Kelli, thanks for the names of the plants.
It's getting hot here, tomorrow it'll be 93.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6584260

Cute kitty! I so hope you get to keep her. If you name her quick, he'll a have a harder time changing his mind. LOL
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6584794

Partly sunny yesterday and mostly sunny today, 50's temps. Bit blustery today. It's clouding up and supposed to start raining tomorrow. The garden needs it, could do without the wind though.

Bernie - so sorry about the damage to the greenhouses and the lilac bush. What a pity. Glad it's calmed down finally!

Adina - does the kitty have a name yet ;-) lol Very cute. Hope you get to keep her :-)

Marylyn - Happy Anniversary!!

Sharon - hope it stops raining soon! What a mess!

Celia - LOL at Monty! Nice plants!

Bernie and Rusty - don't get me started on gas prices ... people would be lining up to buy gas at $2.50! We'd call that a bargain! lol
$ 4.86 is the price here, and that's with our messed up currency ... taking into account the fall of the currency since our wages are still the same (or less), it would equal about $7.71. That will really put a big dent in your wallet.

We have a stray too ... one of our neighbours found a hamster running around in their house yesterday. They walked from house to house trying to find where it belonged without any luck ... they couldn't keep him so being the big softie that I am I took him in ... The girls are hoping that we don't find his owners so they can keep him. lol Like we need more pets ... sigh ... He is very cute though and he's been named Snlli (pron. Snoolly = cutie).

Have a good night!

Rann

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6585071

HOT!!!! We hit 90 today and didn't have a breeze til later in the afternoon. I had to go inside the store often to cool down.

Of course that was after we unloaded a nice shipment of butterfly perennials which I had to get some of. LOL. Lupine, lamin (sp?)-shade loving ground cover, columbine-purple and ivory that is similar to the pink and ivory, astible, silver frost sedum. I might get more lupine and other tall plants tomorrow since alot of my natives didn't come back this year. I need to get them while they are super nice looking. And I need lamin to cover my tulip bed instead of weeds. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6585429

I think lamium is the word your looking for... lovely little plants.

Adina what a pretty little girl there!
How are the dogs taking to her?

Rusty what a nice color of Iris!
I'm getting back into growing them again.
Our problem is lack of space.

Celia that will grow in nicely!
Pretty design.

Sharon I hope it's letting up down there.
That's a LOT of rain!
Jon's brother was up from Naples this week.
He said they are in burn conditions down there.

Mid 80's here today but we did see some clouding.
Our rain cycle should start Sunday.
Mostly went shopping today.
We're moving more to Resin pots now for the plants we have to winter indoors.
So we picked up some whoopers.

Here's a Dayton shot.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 23, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6586930

40*F sunny and no wind yet.
Adina~cute kitten; named yet?:)
ric~what a cute shot you've posted. Sounds like a busy time for you, too.
Pepper~enjoy the new flowers.
rann~your new temp pet sounds cute; still at your home? Love seeing that you've had good weather.
Off to a glass class today as to how to fuse copper between the glass.
The tree in the background in the woods, has had the bark peeled off by hungry moose. It doesn't seem to harm the trees.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6587215

Rusty Beautiful iris!
Celia Hang on to your hat! Your plants look good!
Kiska I bet the spruce smells good!
Adina 93*? Wow! Your new kitty is adorable! I agree with Celia give her a name soon!
Rann I would have taken in Cutie too. Im a softieyou should post a picture!
Pepper Your garden is going to look so good. I wouldnt have been able to resist taking some home either LOL!
Ric- Cute birds!

72.9 F
Rain Mist
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 69 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the ESE
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 F
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1200 ft
Overcast 2500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Through 1215 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms will continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving northwest to north at 10 to 20 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Crescent Beach...palmcoast...St Augustine...Crescent City...Palatka... Middleburg...Orange Park...Bryceville and St George. Expect...brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity

This Afternoon
Showers likely and chance of thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High 77. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Yep - more rain. Atleast the wind has calmed down. I'm not looking forward to steam, mosquitos and flies when all this is over. Although the weeds are really happy (grrr).

This Phal hasn't bloomed in years. I have forgotten the actual name and what it looked like LOL! It's the only bloom so far.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6588159

It was supposed to rain today, but no rain yet and it's almost 6:30 pm. Got some rain overnight though. Partly cloudy today, quite breezy and 56F. The breeze is quite cold though so it feels cooler. Today was the annual garden club plant swap so I was very glad the rain held off! Managed to sell a few plants and brought home a few new ones as well :-) Still, I sold a lot less than last year. People are holding on tighter to their money now ...

Cutie is still here ... and he's not getting much sleep during the day when the girls are at home poor guy ... lol (Hamsters are nocturnal and normally sleep during the day) Hildur Eva's determined to turn him on a different schedule so he'll sleep during the night! lol He slept like a log the entire time the girls were at school yesterday! I imagine he'll be happy when the weekends over! The girls have gone door to door in the neighboring streets but apparently no one's missing a hamster. I might have to start looking for a hamster cage ... ;-) He's currently residing in Frida's (our rabbit) carry cage.

Sharon - hope it stops raining soon! Pretty Phal :-)

Ric - cute photo :-)

Have a good evening!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 23, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6588268

Rann, he really is cute!
I'm sorry I'm on the run again, just a quick note for now : The noo kitty is scared of the dogs who come at the fence barking at her, so she's been hiding under the car today. I named her Lily, although DH wanted Daphne.
I've been pulling weeds outside the yard , the ones growing near the fence and I'm beat ! I think I'll go to bed and hopefully, I'll sleep well...I hope tomorrow I'll be able to get out of bed!LOL
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6588678

Adina, it looks like you have some nice African violets.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on May 23, 2009
75 F
Clear
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 8 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.90 in (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

We went to the Arboretum today. It felt hotter than 75F.

orchids in the orchid house

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6588699

alluaudia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2009

Post #6588704

matilija poppy

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6588853

Market Day.
Lousy weather, not what the weather liars predicted. Sprinkle rain all morning & cloudy. Of course the sun came out at 12:15. Beautiful afternoon.
So sales were slow.
A guy in Mankato had a Hostas sale. I went late in the afternoon. He gave me a tour of his beds. Very nice & lots of varieties. All with EON markers. I bought a Blue Angel & a Leading Lady from him.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6589251

Well Adina it appears you now have a Cat.
I like both names...lol!

Rann I've found many odd pets roaming around in my time.
An 2 Horses, an Alligator, Boa, Snapping Turtle, Parrot and of course cats and dogs but I've never heard of someone finding a Hamster.
How odd! But a cutie!

Kiska it looks SO Green!

Sharon nice job!

Bernie we plant specimen Hosta as Grave Markers for our pets.
H. 'Blue Angel' marks R.I.P.'s (one of our dear Tabby Cats and a Rabbit hunter extraordinaire).
It's our favorite Blue Hosta . Beware of the sun though they burn easily.

Kelli you're killing me! LOL!

90F here today.
We had to water for the first time this year.
Rain should be moving in by evening tomorrow.
The yard is shaping up nicely... weather permitting we should be about done planting by Tuesday.
Robyn did TONS of seedlings.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6589447

HOT!!! Sunny too. Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't on asphalt. LOL. I go under the eaves and work when it gets to be too much. Greenhouse and sun are too hot. Shady area is nice and coooooool. LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6589816

Adina, that's cute you both want to name her after flowers. Why not name her both? I think Lily Daphne is pretty. Isis has a full name...Isis Drisilla Veruca Santiago.

Stay cool, Pepper! To heck with the asphault. Tell them you have a condition.

Ric, thanks. We needed something silver/white to light it up. There are Shasta daisies back there, too.

A pretty overcast day today. Very pleasant. 83
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #6590253

Good morning!

Overcast and breezy, no rain yet. 55F.

Ric - it is weird, I can't imagine the little guy could travel very far on his own so we naturally thought he must have wandered out of some of the neighboring houses ... but no one seems to be missing a hamster. Wow - I wouldn't be willing to take in an alligator, boa or turtle! lol Fortunately it's highly unlikely we'd find something like that wandering around, reptiles are illegal here and if found they are destroyed. Still there are always some people who try to keep them as pets ...

Adina - Lily Daphne is very cute! And your lawn is so green! :-)

Have a good day everyone!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6590488

Finally a temp break.
It's 70 and was all night... but rain is moving in... they're saying 75 for the high.
We're doing a Family Party today later in the afternoon.
Hope the rains hold off till evening.

One of our new Clematis.
Think Concord Grape Purple.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6591056

Very pretty, Ric. Have fun with your family.

Lots of rain here last night. More on the way.

59.3 F with 73 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

1st mini rose of the year.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6591074

NOID rambler.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6591082

This bed is going to be extended to the edge of the driveway.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6591125

Celia I'll get you the Rosa ID.
It's probably a 'Rootstock' Rambler.
When they graft roses they use certain Rambling varieties for vigor.
If the grafted top rose dies these come up.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6591152

You could be right, Ric. It was here when we moved in and is growing behind the Golden Showers. I have to cut it way back after it blooms and a couple times thru the summer.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6592076

Like yesterday

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 24, 2009
74 F
Clear
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 8 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 17 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

I've got another video for you to look at if you want. The camera seems to make things look more squat and further away (or something) than in real life. Again, it's not exciting but it might be educational.
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/travel_and_culture/watch/v18507876tZATM7qp#

more Arboretum - kapok tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6592079

kapok tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2009

Post #6592080

daylily section

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6592082

daylilies

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6592087

The statue says "I will not forget" in French. My guess is that it is a WWI memorial, but I don't know.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6592808

Cool and cloudy today. Yipeee!!!!! Now if I could just figure out what's wrong with my truck. It seems like the tranny is bucking on me but it didn't do it for my dad when he drove it around today. Truck just likes to yank my chain. LOL

One of my irises that I got from Powell Gardens. Have no clue on it's name this year. Last year I could have told you. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6593046

O2 Sensor Pep?

Kelli THANKS that was fun!
know that stretch of road! LOL!
We drove that gravel road the runs along side too.
Picked up some rocks and a few photos.

We had a few giant drops of rain and a few mild cool breezes.
Mostly though it was calm, hot, muggy and still... 73 and 84% Humidity .
Now they are saying slight to moderate chance of rain all week.

New pot and a new Cordyline
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6593271

Take it to an authorized dealer for your brand of truck. They have better computer equipment than the backyard mechanics. Two years my truck was acting that way, his scanner didn't find the problem. He even put in a new fuel pump, $600. I took it to the Dodge dealer, they put their scanner on & it told them is was the O2 sensor. They put a new one on & it hasn't missed a beat since. $120.

Went for a drive tonight. Just took some back roads. All to see was corn & soybean fields. But it was something a little different. Stopped at a Dairy Queen for a snack for supper.

68 tonight, so veggies should grow a bunch tonight. Things are coming along great. Been doing a little watering. We use T-Tape so once it's on the rows, it's just a matter of turning on a section. It don't use much water either. Anyone want to look,
http://www.t-tape.com/
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6593293

How do you get it up after the season Bernie?

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6593339

Most is under plastic mulch., so we just roll the whole thing up & recycle it. It is only $200 for 10,000 foot roll. So we don't reuse much of it. In the greenhouses & flower gardens where we lay it by hand, we reuse it.
Here is the machine for laying the plastic mulch & the tape.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6593431

Cool!
Could it be laid in existing beds on a smaller scale?
Say on bare ground then mulched over.
Would it have to be taken in come Winter?

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6593432

The day here started out rainy. We went to see Terminator Salvation and when we got out, it was sunny. At home 10 minutes later, still sunny. 5 minutes later, after we're in our shorts and outside, we had this...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6593588

If you don't take it up, mice get into it & chew holes in it.

Off to bed,
Bernie

This message was edited May 25, 2009 6:21 AM

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 25, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #6594010

Hi, guys! I'll just post some pics now and comment later.
First with the African violets...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 25, 2009
10:32 AM

Post #6594013

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 25, 2009
10:33 AM

Post #6594017

The sky yesterday...it was so hot!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 25, 2009
10:35 AM

Post #6594019

Another one with the sky.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 25, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #6594022

The path is ready, yiippeeee!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
10:46 AM

Post #6594032

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY! Be sure to give thanks to all who have given their lives and those whose lives are currently in the line of fire for this great country of ours. God Bless all of you.

Too much to comment on now, but Adina your Lily Daphne is adorable!

The sun came out around 3pm yesterday and brought the steamed humidity with it. It sure was nice to see blue skies again though.

71.8 F
Fog
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 68 F
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
Visibility: 0.2 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 100 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Fog will continue to expand across northeast Florida and southeast Georgia through the early morning. Visibilities will generally fall to between 1 and 3 miles...with localized visibilities below 1 mile. Be on the lookout for sudden changes in visibility. The patchy nature of the fog will drop visibilities quickly in a short distance. Use low beams...reduce driving speed...and allow for plenty of room between you and other cars. In addition... visibilities may become severely restricted over inland waterways.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 81 South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

E Hookeri is budding now

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6595535

Sharon, I was looking forward the your E. hookeri. I remember it from last year and I love it!

Great sky, Adina. Your path looks great!

65.6 F with 72 for the high. More rain probable but, for now, sunny and nice.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 44 F
Wind: 2.0 mph Variable
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4800 ft
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Giving thanks to those who have served, are serving or who have given the ultimate.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6595891

64* and a nice light rain. The grass was completely dry when I got up, so I hung clothes early and brought them in dry before 11:30 am.

I read all the last link and this one. Just too far behind to comment on all the pictures and stories.

Rann, advertise that you need a hamster cage and one of your neighbors will most likely have one. Sounds like someone doesn't want it back :o) He's really cute!

Adina, I love the new kitty! Both names are cute. maybe DH needs a kitty of his own to name :o)

There are some really pretty flower pics!

Pepper, it's a good thing we don't work together, but it sure would be fun! We would both be broke buying plants!

Two more rescued iris from last year.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6596031

We're finally getting a soaking rain!
Started about 1/2 hours ago.
Lots of rumbling in the distance then slow and steady.

Just what we need!
We put in some Green Beans, Zuc's and Maters this morning.
Ric

This message was edited May 25, 2009 3:13 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6596045

We took "Cutie" to the vet today and he's in pretty good condition considering what he's been through, a bit under-nurished though poor guy. She gave him a vitamin shot and hopefully he'll perk up soon. He's eating well so he should regain strength in a few days. We're keeping him - the girls are already so attached to him ... oh well, with all these critters already what's one more? lol A hamster doesn't take up much space. Need to find a cage for him, unfortunately there are no used hamster cages advertised at the moment ...

Sally - lol that's my thoughts exactly. No one's advertised a missing hamster, it's been 4 days ... if we lost one of our pets we'd be out looking for it! Gorgeous iris!

Adina - nice work on the path! :-) Your african violets are so pretty :-)

Rain this morning and a few rainshowers in the afternoon with sunny spells in between. 53F. Light breeze.

Have a good day!

Rann

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6596194

Ric, you must be getting my perfect rain. It just quit. The sun isn't quite out, but it brightened up considerably. No rumbling tho. I love to listen to thunder.

Rann, a hamster is much better than a guinnea pig in my opinion. He is adorable and the girls deserve some ''positiveity'' after the year they've been thru.

It dropped to 64 from 70 while it was raining. And it's still windy. Good thing I never changed into shorts.

(Edited to add sun)

This message was edited May 25, 2009 2:54 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6596234

Burgers and hot dogs are on the grill and the tater tots and coleslaw are ready.
Iced tea, lemonade, icy water and a frosty light Chenin Blanc ready to go! I stuck it in the freezer for about 30 minutes yummmmm!

Celia That pic is from last year. I just checked on the plant its ok. I was afraid all the rain might have harmed the buds. Love the pic of Old Glory!
Sally pretty iris!
Ric Yummmm! Glad you are getting some much needed rain. Were finally drying out.
Rann- Im so glad you are keeping Cutie. He cant eat very much and doesnt take up much space and besides how can you not love that sweet little face LOL!

80.2 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 66 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the East
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of thunderstorms. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 67. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Feels much hotter than 80*. Went to the beach for a little while. What a mistake...so many people I couldn't see the sand! Came back home and laid out in the back yard LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6596251

Hey, Sharon. Do you have room for two more? LOL

This message was edited May 25, 2009 11:50 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6596282

Absolutely!!! Come on over and we'll scooch you in LOL!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6596365

Sharon we had inch thick Iowa pork chops and all beef hot dogs on the grill. The only side dish was applesauce. I couldn't finish my chop, but I have a delicious supper coming to me ;o) ROTFL over the beach!!! Gorgeous side shot of the rose!!

Kwanjin, ROTFL!!

The last rescued iris

Thumbnail by billyporter

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6596833

I almost bought thick pork chops, then I was thinking about pulled pork, but the hamburgers won! I haven't had a hamburger in months.

We can always scooch more people in LOL! Love the Iris! Dinner sounds awesome!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6597774

Rainy all day and cool. Both people and plants perked up big time!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6597799

What is this thing you call rain ?
Hot & sunny here all day.
Maybe rain tomorrow, NOT!

Bought some lily bulbs Sat. Went to plant them today, they were dead! Returned them to store, they gave me my money back & didn't care.

Worked on cabinets most of the day.

Tomorrow will be driving to Albert Lea early in the morning. It is an hour & half drive. I need to get fertilizer for our garden & some more Maple lumber. I need to be home again by noon to get to Farmers Market by 2:30 PM.

I'll check in late tomorrow.
Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6597985

Only things we did today were pull a few weeds, gave away the hottub and put up a new porch light. The old light was falling off. (And before you say anything, the hottub didn't work and has been taking up space on the patio for 4 years. :-) )

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6598179

Lovely Light!

Just got out of ours! lol!
We got some things planted and dug some others up for the RU on June 6th.
Rain was a nice soaking two hours... good for settling in the plants.
Looking at 2 more days of moderate chance... then a nice hot low humidity spell.
Should really set off the plant growth!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6598843

Pepper Cool rainy weather does that to me too LOL!
Bernie Good luck on the trip
Celia I like the new light!
Ric Talk about plant growth. After 5 days of rain the plants are growing like crzy as are the weeds LOL!

71.2 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 29.89 in (Steady)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 100 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the late afternoon. High 81. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #6598885

Good Morning! I finally made it back...It's raining pretty steady, for now. It was nice & hot over the week end...90 & very humid on Sunday. Lots of grilling & such. And Thanks to all of the Vet's & service men out there! :D
At Dublin...
Rain: 66F
Feels like: 66F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 66
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 5 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:06 AM
Sunset: 8:34 PM

Ric, Love the Rose! The pink reminds me of one that my granny used to have.
Celia, Love the new light! Our sky looked like that yesterday, but we got just a few sprinkles.
Bernie, Sorry to here about the wind & the damage it caused...
Sharon, Can't wait to see a pic of your E. Hookeri! Mine's growing new shoots...I hope it does something..like bloom. :D That Rose is gorgeous! All of the wild Roses are blooming here & the scent is heavenly!
Kiska, How are the MG's doing? With your TLC I'm sure they are thriving! :D
Sally, Your rescued Iris's are Beautiful!
Adina, You new path looks Great! And you new kitty is so cute! Glad that she got to stay! :D
Ric, the garden things sound really good! We strung up our peas yesterday...we'll have too many, of course.
Kelli, I hope you don't mind, but I have your Hookeri as my desk top. ;) Gorgeous!

Well, gotta go
Have a Great Day! All! :D

Joey

(my flowers are 'going to town'!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
10:32 AM

Post #6598886

Here are the wild roses...

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
10:33 AM

Post #6598889

And my Peoni is in full swing! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2009
11:16 AM

Post #6598939

Good morning!

Gorgeous sunny day today, light breeze and 51F. Perfect for working in the garden - which I'll be doing today :-)

Joey - pretty peony!

Have a great day!

Rann
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6599222

Good morning!! We had a very quiet Memorial Day. We watched a car race on tv (well, no, we watched people talking about car races during rain delays with scattered intervals of cars actually moving around the track a couple of times before the next rain band moved in. It was pretty funny! I would have called the race a long time before they did!) Charles cleaned the leaves/etc off of the roof and gutters in the morning before it got TOOO hot and then went to a friend's house to help them with their computer. The bunnies and I played inside most of the day, which was fun. :-) It was a very relaxing weekend!

It's going to be a very hot week. Our "normal" weather is definitely back! Upper 80s and low 90s with lots of humidity and a chance of rain every day. Air conditioning is my friend! LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (2 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 91%
Pressure 29.80 in 1009.2 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Ceiling 300 ft 91 m
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Heat Index 80 F 27 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

Through noon, expect increasing shower and thunderstorm coverage as disturbances move across the area. Rainfall amounts will average under 1/4 inch with isolated totals over 1 inch possible in association with the stronger or slower moving thunderstorms.

Today Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then a 40 percent chance in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then a 20 percent chance after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6599801

63.0 F with 75 for the high. Sunny and pretty.
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 42 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the ENE
Pressure: 30.02 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6599968

Beautiful Celia!
What are they?

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6599974

Snapdragons. I'll get better pics later. They come up a different color every year.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6599987

Self seeding eh? Cool!
Thanks

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6599991

Yes. The house came with them. First year, one white, one bright pink. Now a variety.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6600039

Expensive Snaps but if the House was free... WHAT a bargain! ;-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6600065

ROTFLOL Free house! Ah ha ha ha!!! Darrell's gonna get a kick out of that one!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6601040

78 mostly cloudy, hasn't rained yet and I have the fan on. Outside, it's perfect and I should be mowing.

Sharon, burgers would have won if I'd had some fresh meat!

Pepper, flowers feed the soul. Must have been some hungry folks out there!

Bernie, I'm giggling because we say ''what is this thing you call" all the time. Cracks me up!! Was sorry to read about your terrible wind on the last link.

Kwanjin, you can put chairs on the porch and have iced tea! Ohhh, that's a beautiful light!

Ric, sounds like you had a nice rain. We got almost 1/10' out of ours. Heavy rain expected tomorrow, starting this afternoon... sometime this afternoon... Sometime.

Thanks Joey, I'm really enjoying them! Is that Yellow Flag? Mine is just blooming too. My wild roses bloom the first week in June :o) Love the peony!

Rann, sounds like a perfect day for working! Hope Hildar Eva has no more sun rashes.

Marylyn, laughing over the races! Gosh, are we all to get rain?

Kwanjin, snaps are one of my favorite annuals!! I started tall one's in the house and they are waiting to get planted. I'm waiting till after the heavy rain so they don't get beat down.

Ric, that was a good one!!

Clematis, Claire de Lune,

It accepts some shade and it's shaded most of the day here.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6601277

Joey, the hookeri belongs to Sharon. Gotta give credit where it's due.

Celia, when I was a kid, we had snapdragons like that. They'd be yellow one year, pink another, magenta another, and so on. Fun with genetics.

Rann, why is it that reptiles are against the law in Iceland?

Feels hotter than 72F, but not bad.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 26, 2009
72 F
Clear
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

no id epiphyllum

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6601564

Kelli - I have no idea ... something about diseases I think. I don't really get it. There are plenty of reptiles in the country illegally, haven't heard of any incedences of them doing any harm ... it's just one of those strange laws no one understands. Pretty epiphyllum :-)

Rann
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6602187

Just a bit too cool today and cloudy with a strong breeze. Luckily my plants are soaked so I didn't have to worry about them blowing over.

Truck acted up again today. 2 bucks and it quieted down. Then I get home and I could smell gas. My dad checked it when he got home and said I was leaking some out of the front tank but the lid was tight. So I have to switch between tanks for a few days and see how it acts. We still haven't figured out exactly what's wrong but we are gonna replace my REG or something like that to see if that helps and to be able to say it's not that if it keeps up. I told my dad that my truck will probably die on me before we get it figured out. LOL. As long as it dies between work and home I'll be ok cause my brother works near both.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6602330

BP That's a really nice Clematis!
If we don't already have 'Claire de Lune' now we will next year Thanks for the pic!

Reptiles are illegal in Iceland because the Bankers were afraid they'd get eaten.

Actually the band Risaelan (Reptile) got some airplay here in the late 80's... lol!

We took a maintenance day today... weed whipped and hedge trimmed.
The first major push for eradicating the Boston Ivy started today also.
That and regular green Vinca are toast here!
We filled 3 trash cans (NEVER Compost that stuff!) and probably have another 3 to go.
We did get a few 'Touches' done too.
Touches are those little surprises you tuck away to give the Garden that Special Touch.
Small surprises.
Makes people really see instead of just looking.
You'll know them when you see them... lol!

We got a SPLAT Rain this afternoon.
Lots of Thunder, a little Wind, then SPLAT 1/4" of rain in 15 minutes.
I heard it got rough east of us.
Probably some more tonight and tomorrow.
Dayton is getting it now.

Don't remember if I told you.
The House in Dayton is back on the Market for $15,000 more because of the remodel.
In that market it's about a 15-20% difference.
Once the cash out gets paid back that's about $2000 more each so...
And the good news is we are done 'hanging' w/ the Family.
The Picnic Sunday wasn't as tense as I figured it would be but still... no Picnic! LOL!

Look you can finally see all the way thru!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2009
9:40 AM

Post #6603366

Bumping in to say Good Morning. I have to go do my annual bloodwork so I have to be at LabCorp around 6:50am to get in. I'll pop back in later.

We got cloudy yesterday, but no rain.

68.9 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 64 F
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Areas of low clouds and fog early in the morning. Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall in the afternoon. High 83. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Painted Lady Hibicus

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6603610

Good morning!

Started out sunny, but a bank of clouds is moving in and it looks like rain. 53F and breezy.

LOL Ric! :-) Wow you've got a good memory, I don't even remember Risaelan (Dinosaur)! lol Good news on the Dayton front! I know you're glad it's over! lol

Sharon - gorgeous hibiscus. Hope everything goes well :-)

Have a good day!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6603790

70 now and we had some more rain overnight.
Radar shows everything to the east of us now.
Should get Sunny here in a bit.
This weather has been perfect for the transplants and plants we're readying for the RU.

Rann we have a station here that does a lot of Nordic music on a certain show.
The DJ's name is Karan Arnardttir so...lol!

Kelli I like that Epi!
Never seen a Yellow like that.

Sharon our Hibiscus are blooming also.
I like that white veining.

Off to the yard.

Ric
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6603905

62F under cloudy skies this morning with rain expected over the next day or so. I've planted my veggie garden the past few days and could use some rain to kick things into gear. The weather here the past couple of weeks has been mostly gorgeous. I've spent the days fishing and gardening.

It's been a while since I've checked in here and you guys sure are busy!

Ric...Looking good there! I think I see a couple of empty pots though. Did the hollyhock seeds I sent come up for you this spring? Reptiles will eat Bankers in a pinch but only when they have run out of lawyers.

Sharon...Have you finished cleaning up after last weeks storms. That hibiscus just glows!

Rann...Are there any reptiles that are native to Iceland?

Joey...I love that yellow iris. Maybe we could work out a trade.

Kwanjin...I like the new light. Is it a custom job or is it available somewhere?

For the first time in many years I decided to grow some veggies this year. I bought a bunch of heirloom seeds and built a big coldframe and a bunch of raised beds this spring. So far, so good...

Photo...New raised beds and cold frame.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6603945

Might as well post a fishing photo too.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6603985

Blast off!!!

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6604129

But they'll eat them both before Rats...lol!

Yes e_b the Hollyhocks have come up nicely.
Robyn is transplanting them now.
I was just going to DMail you about them.
Thanks!

Grey and threatening rain now...

I'm caging up plants that are falling over from the rain... lol!

Ric

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6604337

Ric - well that explains it - sounds like an Icelandic name. ;-)

Gorgeous photos EB :-) The veggie garden looks great! A lot of people are growing veggies here too this year, there's a very sharp increase from the past few years I think it's safe to say. Even our neighbor who we've never met the past 5 years we've been here was outside a few days ago planting potatos! lol His potato garden's been overgrown with weeds since we moved here! lol

No there are no reptiles or amphibians for that matter native to Iceland - we're a reptile free country ;-) lol Unfortunately the same is not true about bankers and lawyers! ROFLOL But I can tell you that the "big guns" of Icelandic business who can add the feat of bankrupting a whole country to their lists of accomplishments are keeping a low profile to say the least ... most of them are hiding out in London or somewhere else oversees. lol I don't think they'd be safe here to be honest. You can only imagine how despised they are by the people who are left to pick up the tab ...

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6604627

But bankers and lawyers are not natives, either!

EB, the light came from Lowe's.

67.4 F with 79 for our high. A few clouds but nothing else.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 42 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.04 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

White snaps with a hint of yellow. Last year we had a very pretty salmon colored one.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6604636

Fuschia snaps with the yellow again.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6604645

Pink and white.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6604658

One with not so much pink.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6605114

Kelli, what a gorgeous yellow on your epiphyllum!

Rann, I'm not much on keeping reptiles, so your law wouldn't bother me. I'll enjoy my turtle basking on a log.

Pepper, hope you can figure out what's wrong with your truck, and it doesn't break down on your way home no matter how close anyone is!

Thanks Ric, a DG'r was talking about it when I first joined and I turned right around and ordered it from Bluestone in 2006. (I see Clair doesn't have an e.) It gets a lot of shade and still has all those blooms. I just took the picture the other day, so it's in full blom right now. I love your definition of touches. That is so cool! It's nice to be able to see all the way thru. I like the hanging planter!

Sharon, such a pretty hibiscus! Did it come with the house?

Early, very nice raised beds and cold frame!!! I really love the cold frame! Nice shot of the take off! I've missed your pictures!

Good one Celia!! I like all the snaps!

64 and overcast. We got about an inch of rain from yesterday afternoon to this morn. It's about as wet as it can get and I really need to mow!

Spinich!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6605380

Everything is really wet - as it has been for a couple of weeks. The squash plants seem to be thriving on the moisture but everything else seems to be growing in slow motion.

Cool, Wet, Grey.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 27, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6605918

Dyson, we'd need some of your rain now!
Sally, your irises and the clematis are so beautiful!
Kelli, cool pics , love the statue!
Sharon, do you still have burgers? I'm coming over too!LOL
Celia, I have a lot of snapdragon seedlings. So far only white is blooming. Love yours!
Bernie, cool method!
Ric, I also have TONS of seedlings and they are still popping up!LOL
Joey, lovely flowers!
I'm so sad, Lily has gone...I hope back to her home. It's still hot, no rain/ We have lots of weeds too. My lawn is green now , but full of bad grass...I'll have to pull it out.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6606653

Cool and 60 right now. We only reached mid 60s for a high today. Cloudy with about 80% humidity.

Went shopping and ended up at Westlake. Biiiig mistake!!! For some reason I decided I needed a climbing rose. So I got Climbing Queen Elizabeth cause it's supposed to have fragrance. But now I can't plant it because I have Phaseolus Sunset growing in it's spot and I don't have another spot. So I left the rose in it's pot and put it just behind the obelisk. lol. I will try to get a pic tomorrow and post it. It's over 6 feet tall.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6606708

Gee, I'm so far behind that I'll never catch up! LOL so I won't try. I just skimmed through everyone's photos real quick--great photos everyone and you are a chatty bunch--as usual! :o))
Weather here right now is sunny and 75. I used the weed-eater yesterday on the parts of the lawn that needed it and I hand-weeded the rose garden today for a couple of hours. Tomorrow I will mow with the riding mower and hopefully it won't need it again for a few days!
Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny with a high of 80 and lower humidity, thank goodness. We have been in a steam bath lately with all the rain we have had! It should be a good day to mow.
Everyone have a good evening!
I succumbed to an urge to buy this fountain grass at Home Depot. It is called "Fireworks". Those are my Illustris EE "babies" coming up in the background--all from one plant I bought last year.
edited to add: if anyone wants an Illustris baby, let me know but I think I should warn you: I sent 3 babies to a DGer in Mississippi and it cost $11.94 for the packaging and the postage to send them to her.

This message was edited May 27, 2009 7:29 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6606729

Ok, I got a pic of my new rose earlier so I went ahead and resized it for you guys.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6606937

billy...there's nothing better then spinach fresh from the garden. I planted several types of beets here. I love eating the beet greens so few if any will make it into adult-beet-hood.

The local garden tour was last Sunday and I managed to visit 3 of them and take a few photos. Here's how the tour brochure described one of the gardens, Raku Place.

Raku Place is a forty-seven-acre naturalized Arts and Crafts-style garden with eighteen named gardens and a serendipitous Continental Divide that provides two gentle water courses, creating fourteen ponds and pools to serve the polka dot garden, the primrose-less path, the lady pools, the alpine forest, Hungarian tea house, and Stevens Mountain. Two artists, working over thirty years, are turning a neglected landscape into a pleasure garden, whose numerous paths circulate through the plant colonies supporting myriad ideas.

The gardens are filled with art.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6606942

A sculpture at the edge of one of the many ponds.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6606950

Horses flying from the arch of a bridge.

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009

Post #6606953

Good Evening! Lots of rain today & supposed to have more tomorrow. A county across the state line in VA is under a flood watch. At the moment it's very humid & 72.
Clear: 72F
Feels like: 72F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 68
Humidity: 88%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 5 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:06 AM
Sunset: 8:35 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Rann, Thanks. In reference to your neighbor planting potatoes...I think that most everyone is trying to plant something to save from buying...It sure can save some money! :)
Marylyn, The air conditioner is my friend too! :D Sounds like you're going to be steamy down there! :-O
E_B! You really shouldn't stay gone so long! ;) Love that cold frame! And if you want the yellow Iris just d-mail me. I've actually got plenty of Iris, but I don't think they like where I have them, so they refuse to bloom. My Blue Flag has done well, but the yellow one is the only other one that has bloomed for me. I'm still hopeful. Next time you go fishing...can I go? What a gorgeous place that must be & what a Great take off! :D How do you do it?
Kelli...I do have yours as my desk top! I have the epiphyllum! with the red on the outside. It's sooooo Pretty! :D Sorry that I gave it the wrong name.
Ric, I see that you still have your bar stools! :D I love the coziness of your place :D
Sally, thanks. I don't know what the name of my yellow Iris is. I want to enter that picture in the state fair. I'd like to get hold of E_B's pic & enter them! :D LOL Your spinach looks yummy! I need to take a pic of my peas...I tried something new with them...an idea I've had for several years & I think that it's gonna work really well. :)
Sharon! Your Hibiscus! Is Gorgeous! I wish I could grow them here...to many trees! :D
Celia! Love those Snaps! Soooo pretty! :D
Mau, I think your fountain grass is what I call a "Spike"! I've been seeing that color, but not the color I've been getting in the past. The color I'm looking for is green & red stripes. I shall persevere! LOL
Pepper! Oooo, are you going to put your Rose in the round trellis 'thingy'? I like that! And what color is your Rose? It's really a good size! :D
Thanks Adina! Sorry to hear that your kitty is gone. :( Your walk looks Great! And it seems that you have your work cut out for you, with the unwanted grass.
Where's Kiska?

Have a good evening All! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6606962

the building perched on the cliff in the upper left is the Hungarian tea House.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6606969

The view from the Tea House with the flying horse bridge below.

early_blomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6606973

E_B! What a neat place! :D I especially like the looks of the tea house! :D
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6606981

There are acres of winding trails through woods and meadows and you never know what you might find.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6606998

A row of pink chairs glowed at the waters edge and a huge canvas tapestry stretched along the nearby shore.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6607003

The photos don't do this justice. The color was amazing!

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6607011

There were 2 of these huge sculptures in a grove of trees in the middle of a big meadow.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6607031

I really liked the gazing ball in the middle of the old millstone.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6607045

There was so much to see there and these photos don't even begin to scratch the surface.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6607055

Time to rest...

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6607068

Dyson! Hang on to your hat! :-O
THE FOLLOWING AREAS... IN NORTH CAROLINA... ALLEGHANY NC... ASHE... SURRY...
WATAUGA... WILKES AND YADKIN. IN SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA... BLAND...
CARROLL... CRAIG... FLOYD... GILES... GRAYSON... MONTGOMERY...
PATRICK... PULASKI AND WYTHE. IN SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA...
GREENBRIER... MERCER... MONROE AND SUMMERS.
VERY HEAVY RAIN... AT THE RATE OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR... IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT UNDER THE HEAVIER RAIN SHOWERS

E_B, I'm sorry to keep interupting! Did you have a straw hat on? Love the Gazing Ball! :D Neat idea! Maybe I'll just go visit there! But I still want to go fishing! ;)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6607112

e_b your yard looks so clean and organized. I HATE you! LOL!

Those Fishing shots are great... especially Blast Off... Perfect! I can hear it!

Celia that's some nice Snaps. I really like that old style of plant. Not really a fan of Rockets.

bp Spinach ... yuck! But VERY Nicely Grown! lol!

Mau remind me in a few weeks about the Illustris.
If mine haven't come back I may need some.
That postage is cheaper than potted price here.

Pepper there's always room for another Rose! lol!

e_b I love that place! The Horses are especially Cool!

Well according to the weather Idiots we had a total of .5" of rain Mon and Tues.
My gauge says .95... Last night and today another .88.
A T-Storm moved thru in the classic late Summer style about 4 PM.
Lots of rumble, black clouds and Huge Crack of close Lightning and immediately Buckets of rain.
Then a nice steady soaking 2 hours...
We're about saturated now.
Maybe some more tonight/tomorrow then clear and dry.

On the job front... we will know by June 5th if we get the Detroit Diesel contract.
(It's down to us and a company in Belgium)
If we do it's back to work June 8th... on an emergency full speed ahead ...
So fingers crossed.
It's going to be hard going back...lol!

Today we moved the rolling planters from in front of the house to under the iron canopy.
It took about 4 hours total... decisions, decisions...
We have though now nixed moving the Futon Swing back there (Robyn's vision)... it's just too big.
So it will come off it's current pad and move 15' east to the middle of the Bamboo.
The pad gets a Shed... I'm thinking a Victorian/Hobbit looking structure...

Here's one of the planters. I made these about 3 years ago for Aroids.
Originally we rolled these into the LR during the winter.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6607119

Hi Joey! The fishing has been phenomenal this spring but on the morning I took those photos we didn't catch a thing. The sunrise in the mist sure made up for it though. The last time we went out in the boat we saw 6 bald eagles sitting on a sandbar. (2 adults and 4 youngsters)

This photo's not too good--taken at high magnification from a moving boat--but still cool none-the-less.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6607172

Joey you'll get a laugh when you see one of out 'Touches'.

e_b I posted too soon.
That's an AMAZING place!
Eagles! WOW!
We might see an Eagle a month...

Here's one of Robyn's 'Touches'

BBL off to the HT

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6607419

Joey, it's a pink rose.

Ric, I will have room when the vine that's just starting to grow is dead for the season. LOL. The obelisk there is too small for 2 plants.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #6608260

Blueberry Buckle

Rann This was the first time Ive ever had blood drawn and didnt feel a thing. Im so impressed with this woman. Some hospital will snap her up soon Im sure.
E_B Yes, weve got our lawn cleaned up. Some others in the neighborhood are waiting for their lawn company to show up to do it for them. Your raised beds look great! Gorgeous pics!
Celia I dont have any snaps this year. Theyre generally a staple for me, but none came back. Ill have to buy some next season.
Sally Thats my Hib. The only things that came with this house are the weeds, oleanders, lantana and the camellia. The rest are mine.
Adina Theres always room for more burgers! Aww, I hope your Lily comes back to you.
Pepper Im sure thats the perfect spot for your rose!
Mau I love the fireworks! Very pretty!
E_B The sculptures are cool, but the horses are amazing! The gardens are beautiful. It makes me happy any time I get to see bald eagles.
Joey I love the chair! What did you line the seat with, is it burlap?
Ric Good luck on the job front!

71.4 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 29.86 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 70 F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers in the morning... then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. High 85. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

We're iun the trpoical seasonal pattern with our afternoon thunderstorms. The one yesterday dropped 1" of rain in an hour. Then ith rained gently for 2 hours - very nice change of rain pace!

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6608873

Thanks Sharon!
Nice Mandevilla!
Do you have an ID? It looks a lot like the ones we're growing.

Drizzly day here 68 supposed to be out of here by 1 or so...
The gauge says an additional .6" of rain.

When I was a kid Traditional Memorial Day opened the Pool.
It was toss... some years 80 some years 60's.
We are definitely in an 80's cycle. More mid June... Than May.

Here's our new Hummer Feeder.
W/ some 'Touches' the Monet in the left corner is an aging mirror.
Set to pick up on the late afternoon sun it gives a nice soft EE pic too.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6609090

Good morning!! :-)

Thanks for the tour, E_B! The statues and etc are amazing! I liked the horses, too. And that fabric was gorgeous!

Adina, I'm sorry Lily disappeared. :-( I hope she either went "home", or that she'll be back safely soon!

I love those rolling planters, Ric!!

Shipping is SO expensive these days, isn't it, Marilyn? It's crazy how much the prices keep going up.

Celia, your snaps are gorgeous! Mine are done, and I need to pull them. I hope they reseed and I get more this winter/early spring. I love them while they last!

Pepper, that rose looks happy and healthy. :-) Have you figured out where you are going to put the rose that is sitting in its place?

Yummm, spinach!

Were you getting your thyroid checked, Sharon? When will you get your results back? I get mine checked on June 8th. The folks at LabCorp know my blood pretty well, too! LOL

Kiska mailed us some ash from Mt Redoubt. The bunnies think that is SOOOOO cool! (I do, too, actually!) :-) Thank you again, Janet!!!

Yesterday morning/early afternoon, the big bunny and I were at church. I was helping with our bi-weekly organic fruit & veggie co-op and Joy had a blast playing with the son of one of the co-op organizers. We left at about 1:30, planning on stopping for lunch and then getting home by 2:30 so we could meet Katie's bus. We put our veggies in the trunk of the car (my good little 1996 Geo Metro.. it's not pretty, but it's paid for!), got in, and... the car wouldn't start. grrr... It wouldn't even turn over... just made a clicking sound. I looked in my purse for my cell phone so I could call Charles, and it wasn't there. (I still haven't found it... I need to look as soon as I send this!) So we went back into the church to borrow someone's phone - and then I realized that I don't know Charles' work number. I just push "his" button on my phone! So we went up to the office to look it up in the church directory. One of the staff guys came down and tried to jump the car, but that didn't work. I didn't expect it to... the lights and AC were coming on just fine, so I didn't think it was the battery. Probably the starter. Anyway... Charles left work and made it home in time to meet Katie's bus (whew!), and then he called a shop near the church which is owned by some friends (who also go to our church.) Mark came out, tried jumping it again, banged on the starter with a large crowbar (which made me laugh), and then called one of his guys to come tow the car back to the shop. Hopefully it won't end up costing too much to repair.

Poor Joy... when the car didn't start she burst into tears. I told her we were just fine, there wasn't anything to cry about. When Gary started to hook the jump cable onto the car, she asked, "Are we going to die??" Umm... no. Not even the car is going to die. LOLOL She's so funny. She has a hard time dealing with things that don't go exactly the way she expects them to, which is pretty typical for people with autism. I took her back into the church to play with Eli again while I called Charles. A friend took two boxes to the post office for me (your monkey grass and Boston ferns are on their way, by the way, Sharon!) The church receptionist handed me the phone when Charles called to say he and Katie were on the way to get us (I was sitting on the comfy couch in the office area enjoying the A/C at that point, while Joy was playing on a computer in the kids' area.) Several people offered to give us rides home and/or bring us back some lunch if we had to wait very long. The moral of this story: If you have to break down, do it at church!! :-)

If we have to be down to just one car, this is a good time to do it... The girls and I don't need to be anywhere during the day today or tomorrow, and if by chance it takes longer than that to get the car fixed (it shouldn't!), Charles is going to be in Maine next week helping his brother do repairs on the cabin that their grandparents built 70+ years ago. Charles and his siblings co-own the cabin now. It's on Mt. Desert Island, where Bar Harbor is - gorgeous!!! They rent the cabin in July and August, and there are several things that need to be done before the tenants arrive. It should be a fun working vacation for them - more work than "vacation", but it's fun to hang out together anyway. :-) (And if anyone is looking for a place to go on vacation this summer, I know of this cabin... ;-) ) We honeymooned there and have gone up for vacations a couple of times since. We don't get to go too often because the airfare is really expensive.

There isn't a chance of rain until next week, so I'm watering the garden this morning. That usually makes it rain whether it is "supposed" to or not. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (46 min ago)
Temperature 77 F 25 C
Dew Point 63 F 17 C
Humidity 61%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.5 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir NE 40
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 79 F 26 C Temp | 24 Max | 24 Min | Dew Point | Pressure | Feels Like
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 68.0F / 20.0C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s. North winds around 5 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6609392

71.1 F with 81 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 30.05 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Getting ready for a weekend visit from Crystal. Great pics, all!

Monty got shaved yesterday and Isis gets her shave today. He doesn't fill up the basket anymore!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6609548

Ric No formal id on the mandevilla. Memorial Day here is the actual opening of the beaches. Not that the beach ever officially closes! I like the new hummer feeder!
Marylyn My thyroid and to check my testosterone (menopause) level LOL! It usually takes a week for me to get the results. LOL at the crowbarwhen all else fails LOL! Poor Joy. Gary gets unsettled when things dont the normal routine. He doesnt get upset or cry, I dont think he has those emotions, he just pacesrainman. Sounds like a nice cabin! I bet you are looking forward to spending some time there.
Celia- ROFLMAO! Montyyyyyyyyy what did your Mom do to you? Actually some people do shave their pets here in the summer.

82.2 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 63 F
Wind: 3.2 mphfrom the East
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 83 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft

I have to go back to work now...pouting

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6609568

Monty gets shaved every year. he shows off for the 1st few days. When daddy came home, Monty met him at the door and was waving his tail-tassel so Darrell could see it. Monty is so proud!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6609843

Quoting:Sounds like a nice cabin! I bet you are looking forward to spending some time there.

The girls and I are not going this trip. Charles and his brother and a few other guys are going to do a bunch of work. The cabin is pretty small - it only sleeps 6, or 9 if you put 3 people in the "doghouse" (the original shack/tool shed.) It has a gorgeous view, though!

Looking at Long Pond from the deck.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6609852

This is looking down from the house to the dock. They have a canoe and a row boat with an optional motor. Also some bikes. If you like to fish, bass, pickerel, and salmon live in the "pond." (Downeasters may call Long Pond a pond, but it's actually a BIG lake!) There's a kayak rental place not very far away, too.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6609857

Bar Harbor is on the same island. And Acadia National Park, which is gorgeous. Here is a map... The yellow area points to the peninsula that the cabin is on. Bar Harbor is on the northeast side of the island. All of the green parts are national park.

Hopefully we'll get to go back there next year or the year after. The last time we went, Katie was just barely 2 so she doesn't remember it.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6611206

Quoting:She has a hard time dealing with things that don't go exactly the way she expects them to

Sounds just like DH, actually.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on May 28, 2009
78 F
Clear
Dew Point: 56 F
Wind: 13 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.86 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

We were able to get out today. There are still wildflowers. I don't know how they survive, but dew must be of utmost importance.

rose snapdragon - almost doesn't look like a wild plant

This message was edited May 28, 2009 4:47 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6611220

These are the plants. I took some seeds last year and have a couple plants going at home now. I don't know if they will bloom this year. It doesn't look like it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009

Post #6611224

purple clarkia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6611235

golden yarrow and chacedon checkerspots

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6611239

sapphire wool star

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6611248

Where it's rocky, you get chaparral.

Thumbnail by Kelli

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6611534

I FINALLY have caught up with you all.. I am SOOOO far behind & have missed you all terribly! We have had bad storms but now getting the hot weather. My garden is doing VERY well in fact I won Yard of the month for May! It's not even in FULL bloom yet! We haven't got the butterflies or hummers yet but I am ready for them! haha I have also not got my pics developed yet so I can't wait to show you all when it does happen!

luv ya!! :0)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6611719

cl Good to see you back! Congrats on the Yard of the Month!

Kelli those do look like a commercial type plant.
Ah well there's always next year on the bloom.
I'm surprised there are still plants blooming in the wild!

We had rain til 2 PM then off and on drizzle... which is STILL moving thru.
Supposed to be sunny and warm thru the weekend.
We went out and got supplies for a new project... and a few new plants.
Tomorrow we'll get some stuff done... lol!

Ric
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6611781

66F with scattered rain and thunderstorms most of the day.

Marylyn...I've vacationed at Acadia in the past and love the place. What a great place for a cabin. It's a shame you are so far away.

Kelli...Still some green there I see. The soil (rocks) the wool star is growing in looks absolutely parched.

Ric...Don't be hatin'! I really am on top of things here this spring though. I'm laid off this all this week and with all the short work weeks I've had lately there's been plenty of time to garden. I built 2 more raised beds today, filled them with top soil and compost and planted them just in time for all the rain.

Joey...No straw hat. I think its the reflection of the house in the background.

Here are a few photos from another garden I visited on last Sundays tour. This place was really impressive. I loved the old growth trees. Here's the description from the tour guide.

The Frenzel Gardens

Twenty-five years ago, Bob and Kathleen Frenzel acquired a seventy-year-old stone house on seven acres of heavily wooded property on Lake Erie. Mature plantings of deciduous trees, conifers, rhododendron, and other shade-loving plants enhanced the beauty of the setting. The Frenzels have added more than fifty additional garden areas featuring more then 300 rhododendron and azalea species and hybrids, and large collections of dwarf conifers, kalmia, hydrangea, magnolia and other shade-loving herbaceous and woody plants. Other features include stone walls, a gazebo, a lily pond and statuary.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6611792

Looking back at the house.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6611802

Looking north towards the lake.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6611831

There was a gazebo on the bluffs overlooking the lake.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6611844

Looking from the gazebo to the house. Walking into this garden was like walking into another world. I wasn't aware there are private gardens like this in this area.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6611857

I'll leave with another fishing photo.

Dusk on Pymatuning Lake.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6612016

e_b the entire series at the Lake is Marvelous!
We just have too many projects going at once to ever get that organized!
So it's envious hate... LOL!
Really nice tour!
Lovely old growth!

I just found out our neighborhood tour is the day after our ORVG RU.
So several of us are going to do a Day 2 together...
Now we HAVE to get organized.
Our place is the base camp...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6612037

Bad Hair Day

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #6612090

Perfect day today!!! Not too cold and not too hot. Got cannas and ornamental peppers planted.

My rose is going in the bed that it's sitting in but gonna climb the obelisk that's kinda cut off there in the front of the pic. But I already have something on it so the rose has to wait unless I get another obelisk or something for it to climb.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6612241

The front's finally moving thru... Lots of Flash, Boom, Splat...

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6612420

John, you need to print a bunch of your photos on nice 5x7 photo paper, buy some nice card stock and envelopes and make sets of cards and sell them on the DG Marketplace. You take FABULOUS photos, and they would sell well! At least I would buy them! :-)

P.S. You, too, Kelli!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2009
10:01 AM

Post #6612847

Monty Bald is Beautiful!
Marylyn Gorgeous setting for a cabin!
Cindy So glad you are back! Congratulations! I cant wait to see the pictures!
E_B The gardens and the lake are beautiful. I agree with Marylyn.
Ric LOL at the Cardinal!

74.3 F
Overcast
Humidity: 86% (oh goody)
Dew Point: 70 F
Pressure: 29.89 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 73 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 400 ft
Overcast 1000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Areas of fog and low clouds through the early morning. Partly cloudy with slight chance of showers late in the morning... then mostly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent

Another 1" of rain yesterday due to the afternoon storm. I got caught in the storm this time - couldn't see 2' in front of me. Scary stuff.

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6613022

Mornin'! :D Well the rain has finally stopped! We had a Huge series of T-Storms come thru yesterday evening! I haven't seen the lightning dance like that in years! We got almost (lacking .10) 3" of rain! I heard the rain coming from across town! I may need to take more flooding pics.
Partly Cloudy: 63F
Feels like: 63F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 63
Humidity: 100%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:05 AM

Marylyn! Your place is Gorgeous! I love the water (you know). I may have to take you up on that cabin! Wow! Salmon? you say? :D And, yep, That would be the place to get 'stuck'! ;)
Ric, I LOVE your "Touches"! :D LOL! I think he has gotten his feathers 'ruffled'! :D And it sounds as if there will be much fun on 'Day 2'! :D My Bachelor Buttons look sad today, because of all the rain, but they'll perk up! :D
Sharon, I put an old woven rug (the $1 kind) in the bottom of the latter back chair, but I put Heavy duty floral wire underneath for support. You could use chicken wire or anything like that, tho.
E_B! More gorgeous pics! I Love that place, too! :D Oooo, Soooo Gorgeous! Pymatuning Lake is Somethin' Else! Thanks! :D
Cindy, Glad you made it back! Yahoo! Yay! for the Yard of the month! :D

Well, It's raining again! The creek has been roaring for 2 days!

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6613279

Ceila at first I thought you had gotten a Sheep! LOL
He does look much cooler though.

Well the Weather Officials say about .88" of rain for the last 4 days.
But that is 15 miles south and slightly west of us.
Our gauges say 2.35 and I know they got much more East of us.
It has moved on now.
Sun and near 80 for a few days.
Near 90 next week! Yikes!

Joey I've always been partial to Pineys (Peonies) love the white!

Funny how tastes change.
Never was much of a Marigold fan... now we have them popping up everywhere.
Pretty basket Sharon.

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6613812

Ric, those look like pelargoniums but what the white with it? Monty may not have fur but he still manages to get wads of it up my nose! LOL

Sharon, very pretty marigolds. I have some coming up from seed from last years bunch.

Cindy! Glad you could make it back and congratulations! We have a guy about a block from us who won in 2006.

Now we need to find Cuckoo. I'm wondering how she's doing with the new house.

70.4 F with a high of 85.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 44 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Here's our black "sheep".

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6613859

Forgot to say...Adina, sorry about Lily! I so wished you could have kept her.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6614071

Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina' is the candy cane looking plant.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51464/
The white is Valeriana

The Cardinals have a nest in the pink roses.
That's why they are so aggressive.
We can't see it but can hear the peeping and see little beaks popping up...lol!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6614107

Great! Thanks, Ric.

I went out and my peony is blooming! I can't remember it's name.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6614696

11am~ 43*F Highs to the 50's. Overcast/light rain earlier this morning.
Sunrise: 4:32am
Sunset: 11:16 pm 22h 17m visible light.
We took a few days to go down on the Kenai Peninsula and had a wonderful time. We saw Mt. Redoubt looking regal and steaming as it continues to be active.
Glassing the mountains, we saw a grizzly sow w/ cubs, Mt. Sheep/Goats, eagles, and the beauty of the Kenai River.
Hi to all~have a great weekend.
Steaming ~ Mt. Redoubt earlier this week.
Jackie

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 29, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6614897

Jackie, I was wondering about you and there you were! Glad you had a great trip! Steaming means it's done with the eruption?
It's been a long week and I'll be working tomorrow all day...ugh! I've been weeding a lot and it seems it doesn't end!LOL At least we had some showers since last night and I didn't have to water anymore. The temps have dropped to 80 and it was cloudy all day.
Sorry I can't comment about your great pics here, but I hope I can do that tomorrow.
I'll just post some pics from the field with the poppies blooming.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 29, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6614911

More poppies and camomile ...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 29, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6614918

Last one, I promise!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6615125

Peonies are one of my dad's favorites.

There are supposed to be thunderstorms today in the mountains but that won't effect anything here. (Whenever I mention "the mountains", I mean the real mountains, the stuff that is over 6000 ft, not the wimpy Santa Monica Mountains. The Santa Monica Mountains are in the same basic weather system as I am.)

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 29, 2009
69 F
Haze
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: 5 mph from the WSW
Pressure: 29.99 in (Steady)
Clouds: Overcast 2400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

more pictures from yesterday

elegant clarkia - I don't know what is "elegant" about it, but that's what it's called.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009

Post #6615131

it's certainly fancy.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6615138

Yes, I guess so. The petals are different from most flowers.

A tree had fallen across the trail and the person who cut it up made this out of the remainder. As you might expect, rot is not a big thing here, so this should last for a long time - probably until the next fire, which of course could be today or could be 30 years from now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6615144

swallowtail and larkspur - Swallowtails do not like to get their picture taken. I tell them that they have to put up with that if they are going to live in Hollywood land. ;-)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6615146

Indian pink

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6615150

Turkish rugging

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6615208

Rainshowers today with a few sunny spells in between. Quite blustery. 58F, feels much cooler because of the wind.

EB - wow what an amazing tour! Both gardens are out of this world! Thanks for sharing the photos and the Lake photos are gorgeous!

Kelli - that rose snapdragon is very impressive ...

We just felt an earthquake a few minutes ago ... don't know the origin or size yet. Yesterday was a year since the last "big" quake in the south that caused quite some damage. Weird coincidence.

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6615407

The earthquake was 4.5-4.7 ... I was wrong, the big quake last year was a year ago today. This one was centered on the Reykjanes peninsula SW of our town. No reported damage.

Kelli - love the carved heart! What a neat idea!

Celia - LOL at the "black sheep" - she doesn't look too happy. lol

Adina - LOVE the poppies - so pretty :-)

Beautiful photos everyone :-)

Rann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 29, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6615418

Just back from the Mankato Hospital. I had a little skin cancer on my ear that they removed today. I didn't know what to expect, never have had surgery before. I found out there are a lot of nice people working in an institution like that. Mankato Hospital is part of the Mayo system. Even our little hospital in our town is part of it. Everything went very well. The surgeon said he got it all! Ain't that great!
I was awake most of the time. Boy, the real thing is sure different than the phony stuff of TV
These people were very professional & yet having fun while working. Everyone had their job to do & did it very well.
I worked on cabinets this morning. We need to get a kitchen in on Monday. I think we will make it. My son has been working all day & has them stained & varnished.
They planted bell & sweet peppers yesterday. Around 800 plants. Still need to get the hot peppers & eggplant in.
Beautiful day today & yesterday. Around 80 each day.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6615621

Adina, Isis isn't mad at us anymore. She was grumpy most of the day yesterday. She hissed at Monty and blamed him.

Earthquake? That's weird it should come on the same day. Glad there no damage.

Bernie, doing a happy dance for you!

I wish, oh, I wish I hadn't thrown away the tags for these irises. I cannot remember what they are. Very dark puple, almost black.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6615691

Whoa! Hold it! Slow down! You folks make it hard to catch up! LOL I'll trybut not necessarily in order:
EB--great photos, wonderful garden art--very unique--absolutely gorgeous photo of "Dusk on Pymatuning Lake"
Joey--very neat idea for the "chair garden" --how clever of you
Ric: love the "touches" in your garden, too--especially the "Monet" mirror. You are welcome to some Illustris but if I wait a few weeks they may be far too large to ship them to you--do you want some now? dmail me if you do.
pepper: love that obelisk--so pretty!
Celia: Monty and Isis are ready for the summer!
Kelli: great hiking photos, as usual--wonderful photos of the butterflies
Adina: love those poppies
Marylyn: I know it isn't funny but I had to laugh at your re-telling of the "adventure" with starting your car or trying to. Hope everything works out okay and it doesn't cost that much to get it repaired. The cabin sounds like a lovely spot for a get-away! Very serene looking place!
Sharon: do you think you could send me some lantana, if you have some to spare?--would it survive the trip?
Kiska: glad you were able to get away for a few days
Hi, Joey!
Welcome back, Cindy--congrats on the yard of the month award!
We've had some lovely days this week--lower humidity for a change and no rain for a couple of days.
Here's what our day looked like today:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6615698

Currently 80 and sunny at 7:09 p.m. Rann, you are probably sweltering just thinking about 80 temps! LOL

Here's my Jacob's Cline Monarda which was given to me by another Mid-South DGer last year. My DGS saw this photo and said this is what his hair looked like on "Crazy Hair Day" at school!! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6615798

Marsue - LOL at the "Crazy Hair"! Very pretty! Yeah thinking of those 80F temps makes me sooooo thankful for the 50's we've got ;-) lol

Celia - wow those irises are stunning!

Rann
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6615877

High 80s, sunny and a bit humid but there was a breeze today.

Here is my Sylvia Denny Clematis bloom. Fist ever bloom off it. I have had it 2 years but it almost died the first year when my neighbor's puppies kept digging in the dirt around it. Had to move it and it's just starting to take off this year.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2009

Post #6615880

Guess it would help to post the pic. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6616303

60F, rainy and Dyson Dark. Looking for low 70's and sunny all weekend!

pepper...Clematis are hit or miss for me. I usually don't kill them but quite often they don't do real well.

Bernie...It's good to hear everything went well for you. My late grandfather was a Chaplin at the Mayo Clinic back in the day.

kwanjin...I'm really bad when it comes to keeping track of what I've planted too. I have been keeping track of the daylilys I've planted the past few years.

Went fishing this evening for a couple of hours. A thunderstorm blew in from across the lake and chased me home.

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6616311

I bought 3 clematis this year. They seem to be doing well but no blooms yet. I really don't expect any, either.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #6616469

Pep that is a beautiful Double!

Clematis a sometimes a bit hard to get going Bernie.
The old saw about 'Head in the Sun feet in the shade' works for the majority though.
They also seem to do better companion planted.
LOVE to ramble thru bushes and especially climbing roses.
But I've seen some nice displays using them as ground cover too.

Clear and 68 going to 58 by morning.
Upper 70's low 80's thru the weekend... Clear!
The water is slowly soaking in... we thru down some old carpet in the canopy.

Go a lot moved today.
You can actually see the Futon...FINALLY!
Lots of little stuff arranged. A few containerized trees have found their homes.
Not much planted but our theme has finally reveled itself.
The 'Rooms' are locked in permanently now.
So now we can start dirting some of the containers.
We have about 3 dozen Hosta in containers.
NIce little mobile empty space fillers after the Spring Blooms.

Monday we'll start potting up for the RU.
It may take two trips to get it all down there...lol!

e_b looks scary but beautiful.

Celia that is the nicest Black Iris I've seen.

Thanks for the Monarda shot Mau.
It just goes to mildew here. Can't get enough air flow.
I might start some in our veggie garden at Jon's.
It's a wind tunnel over there.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 30, 2009
10:22 AM

Post #6616975

A little thunder over night, not much rain. 60
Took a camera tour last evening. Many Iris blooming.
Bridal wreath nicest in years.
Were are off to market this morning.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #6617178

Wow, Bernie--gorgeous Bridal Wreath! I got a start of one at our RU on May 2nd. It is still just a "stick". Sure hope it grows up to look like yours! I meant to say "Hooray" for the good outcome on the skin cancer procedure.
Ric: nice shot of the clematis/roses--lovely combo! When is your RU?
EB: another stunning photo!!
Pepper: lovely double clematis. I've never grown clematis although I think they are beautiful. I keep saying I am going to try my hand at them.

I have two granddaughters here.-ages 14 and almost 11(in July). These two belong to Buddy's oldest son. The "almost 11" yr. old says she is going to help me in the flower beds this morning--should be interesting. LOL Everyone have a good day.

The Weather Channel says we are heading for a high of 90F today! I'm not ready for this yet!

My orchid in the morning sunlight yesterday

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6617341

Very lovely, Bernie.

Thanks, Ric. I love the iries. I have to get them divided this year. They're getting a little crowded. Which clematis is that?

Mau, I LOVE your orchid. Just a hint of pink. Have fun with your DGDs.

Crystal is on her way here this morning. She should be here in an hour so I must get ready. She and I both have tattoos and we're getting matching ones today.

59.4 F with 81 for the high and a 20% chance of thunderstorms.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.02 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Hosta doing nicely.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6617414

We'll be in the mid 70's and Sunny today.

I just noticed the second Clematis blooming in the Paul's Rose.
Been too busy to really 'look' at them... lol!

Our RU is next Saturday... Garden tour next Sunday.
Looks like 4 or 5 of us will be going.

Bernie glad to hear the surgery went well.
I'd never had any surgeries either till about 2 years ago.
I too was amazed by how well the team pulled together...
even though they were a pulled together group for an emergency holiday weekend deal.
Glad they were able to get it all!!
Hats and Sunblock!!!!!

Thanks also for the pic.
I'd been trying to ID that shrub at a neighbor's.

Here's a little early flowering Aster.
No ID but working on it.
The bloom is about the size of my Thumbnail.
The Ivy (we're pulling out English by the trash cans full BTW) is one we got as an annual...
5 years ago... been out there ever since.
Lovely variegation, not real aggressive.
I'll get a better shot.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6617427

We cross posted Celia.
I'll have to get down and check tags for the Clematis.
(My data base isn't up to date.
The Main reason we bought the lap top.
In Garden data! LOL!)
There are two different ones their.
Notice the slight reddish tinge on the right one.

Here's the Rootstock Rose again.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 30, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6617876

Ric, what wonderful blooms! Great you can garden now!
Celia, poor kitties, no wonder they were mad at you!LOL That is so strange...I wanted to post something like this, but change my mind because I didn't have much time for writing...DID YOU READ MY MIND??????
Sharon, such nice marigolds! I'd love to grow them but they give me an allergy ...they remind me of my granddad.
Bernie, I'm so glad your surgery went well!
Kelli, you find the most amazing blooms! BTW, I loved your article about the cactus spines.
Mau, what a beautiful orchid !
E_B, those gardens were great, thanks for the tour!
Rann, how scary! Is everyone OK?
Marylyn, dear Joy, to be scared like this!I think I would have been scared too in such a situation, especially being with the kids. I have to agree with Kelli, sounds like my DH too!LOL
Joey, that was scary for you too, so much rain...flooding? Are you OK guys? Thank God the rain stopped! I have a rose like that too, so beautiful!
Cindy, can't wait to see the pics, congratulations! Wow, !!!

It's raining here too, seems it's not going to stop soon. I have to leave from work in a few minutes . My poor squash flower must be in dirt now...
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6617941

Sunny at the moment, a few rainshowers earlier today. There was another quake 4,3 around 1:30 pm ... we didn't feel it, but Selma's friend who lives in the next street to ours said everything rattled in her house ... I think we're immune to earthquakes, we keep missing them. I hardly felt the one last night just noticed the shelves in the garage rattle. There's a lot of activity in the area - hundreds of small tremors ... which we don't feel ofcourse ;-) lol

Nice photos all! Have a good day!

Rann
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6618736

Nice & sunny here & HOT!! had to water the garden for the first time in May!!
Hey Bernie... glad you are ok... skin cancer can be bad!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6619475

We have some thunder and a little rain right now. Nothing too bad.

My DD is here and we got our tats. I will show whomever wants to see them. D-mail me.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6619685

Celia: matching mother-daughter tattoos! That's real togetherness! LOL I have a high pain threshold but don't think I could do that to myself on purpose. My daughter had her lips tattooed(outlined in red--as in "permanent lip-liner"). She does not have a high pain threshold and said she wouldn't have done it if she had known it was going to hurt so bad.

Adina: that's a lovely squash flower--hope it didn't get "squashed' in the mud! (sorry--I couldn't resist the pun) LOL
Rann: Oh, no--you have earthquakes, too?
Ric: nice rose
Cindy: it was hot today here, too.

I had a good day with the two DGD's. They "helped" me plant 5 hostas which I got at the bargain bench at Home Depot. Here's hoping the hostas make it. The girls mainly had fun posing in my gardening hats with my little schnauzer, Friday.
Here's the younger one, Nancy with Friday:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6619697

Here's the older one, Natalie, with Friday: (I told you they acted silly!)

edited to add the weather! LOL
Currently 84F, clear sky and the sun is setting

This message was edited May 30, 2009 8:13 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6620004

Well we had a wonderful day weatherwise... UNTIL..
about 8:30 PM...
We were watching a movie and heard a big THUNK on the window.
Thought it was a bird... then a flock of themmm...
Actually a driving Hail Storm.
15 minutes of solid downpour and hail... most marble sized... and a few clumps golf ball sized.
And at least 1/2" of rain SPLAT!
That Tornado effect... so we quickly hit the Radar... it was past us.
NO NO Tornado...
Lots of damage to the big leaved plants.
Hostas were hit the hardest.
Luck it's early in the season... sometimes they regrow leaves after a bad shock.

This thread is getting slow and it's late in the month so I'll throw one shot here and start one on the damage.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6620033

Hot and super windy this morning. I had geraniums falling off the railings and six packs also. The geraniums were falling on top of the six packs and plants falling out of the containers. It was a mess. Had to water severa times to get enough weight in them to hold them in place.

A bunch of my grandma's irises blooming last week.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6620104

Beautiful Stand of Iris Pepper!
Congratulate grandma for me.

Here's a link to the Hail
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995735/

The new Weather Thread will be started tomorrow by Bernie I suspect.

Ric

This message was edited May 31, 2009 7:44 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6621260

Ill start a June thread in the morning.

Joey You are definitely getting your share of rain! I enjoy watching thunderstorms. That peonie is beautiful!
Ric Ive come to like marigolds over the years. They are great at keeping bugs away from the veggie garden. Pretty blooms!
Celia- LOL at Isis! Your peonie is beautiful too. I wonder if they would survive down here.
Kiska - Thats a neat picture of Mt. Redoubt!
Adina The poppies are beautiful!
Kelli Elegant clarkia has the look of a fuschia. I think its fancy too! That heart is so neat! Cute idea.
Rann- So glad there was no harm done in the quake.
Bernie Im so glad they got all the cancer. Doing a happy dance for you too!
Mau I will send you some lantana. I have tons now LOL! I forgot I owe you for postage shame on me. LOL at crazy hair! Thats a pretty bloom!
Celia Im lovin your iris!
Pepper Wow your clematis is a beauty!
Ric- Youre busy busy as usual! Youll have to post more pics!
Bernie Thats a beautiful bridal wreath. Ive never seen one of those.
Mau Your Phal is gorgeous! Your DGDs are so pretty! Looks like you had a good time. I would never look that good after working in the yard.
Ric Im rootin for the rootstock rose! Look at all that hail! I hope your hostas make it.
Pepper You DGM has a beautiful lawn and garden!

75.4 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 69 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the East
Pressure: 29.98 in(Rising)
Heat Index: 75 F
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. High 88. West 5 mph becoming southeast 10 mph in the afternoon.

No rain in sight for 2 days. Now we are watching mosquitos bounce off the windows. We knew they were coming. E Hookeri bloomed Saturday morning. I wish the blooms lasted longer than 12 hours.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6621329

Sunny with rain showers now and then, my thermometer says 64F, can't be right, I think it's closer to 50F.

There was another quake, 3,9 yesterday afternoon, DH felt it but I was on my way to mom's with the girls and we did't feel a thing. We were probably in the car. Lots of activity but nothing to worry about experts say. The origins of the quakes are centered very close to the Blue Lagoon which is a popular tourist destination. Iceland is formed on the junction of the Eurasian and American plates which are moving apart ... therefore Iceland grows a tiny bit each year ... you could say the tremors are growing pains ;-) lol Some of the tourist in the Blue Lagoon were a bit shook up ... no pun intended. I heard there was a big splash in the first quake on Friday evening ...

Ric - so sorry about the hail damage ... glad there weren't any tornados though.

Marsue - cute DGD's and Friday :-)

Have a good day!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6621402

Talked to some friends just north of us.
No Hail anywhere but here it seems.
They though had T Sirens most of the night.

Sunny and Clear and Calm right now...

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6621510

Good Morning! The sun is finally out! :D It was out for a little while yesterday & folks were trying like mad to mow their yards before it rained again. It rained again last night, but not too hard. My flowers are rather beaten up! And my peonies are virtually gone. It's gonna be very muggy...
Clear: 70F
Feels like: 70F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 63
Humidity: 78%
Wind: 6 mph SW
Sunrise: 6:04 AM
Sunset: 8:38 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Ric! Thanks! My granny used to call them Pineys! LOL! Sorry to hear about the hail tearing up your pretties...I feel sure they will heal. :) Crazy weather! We haven't had this much rain altogether in years!
Mau, Thanks. I thought that All little girls were silly! :D You have 2 beautiful DGD's! :D And clever? Nahhh...I just didn't have the money to have them re-caned. There is one lady in the county that does it, but she also does basket weaving...keeps her pretty busy. btw, Your Orchid! The lighting! it's Gorgeous!
Sharon, Thanks. Yes we've had more than our share of rain, but I figure in a month or so we'll be begging for it. ;) Love that Bloom! :D
Dyson? Hope that you haven't floated away!
Bernie, Glad to hear that they got it all! Yes, lots of sun screen & hats!
E_B, What a fishing hole! :D What kind of fish were you catching? or did you have the chance? You could do a good business with all of those great pics! ;)
Rann, Glad the quakes aren't very bad...the earth has been moving a lot here lately.
Adina, yes we're fine, thanks. DH always said that we would need a 'Noah's Ark' if the water got up this high. But our drive way is a mess... that can be fixed.
Celia! Love that Black Iris! I need to move mine. I don't think they like where I have them, because they have only bloomed once. :(
Kelli! LOL I can hear you talking to the critters! :D (do that myself) Great Pics! Thanks.
Kiska, Glad that you had a great trip. Love the shot of Mt Redoubt! Wow! Magnificent!

Well, Need to get busy...
Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6621601

Rann The quakes seem to be more active this year. LOL at a bit shook up!
Ric - Glad to hear there werent any tornados. A least the hail melts and waters the ground.
Joey I feel your paintoo much rain then none. The story of our summers. Beautiful bud!

Well, I went outside earlier and got stung 3 times by mosquitos. I came inside, got a dryer sheet tore it in half, put one in each front pocket, not one mosquito bite. I can hear them and see them though. I'll have to remember this little trick.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6622373

I had a bid post typed and then I hit something on the keyboard and POOF!!! Oh, well...

Should I wait until fall to divide the irises?

The tats don't hurt much after a few mins. Your endorphins kick in and it's okay. :-)

Sharon, YEA on your EH!!! They're so pretty.

76.9 F with 83 for our high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

"Sheep" of a feather.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6623272

We are running the new dishwasher for the first time today. It is so quiet, I don't know how it can possibly be doing a good job.

Ric, that's a bummer about the hail. Will all lot of stuff turn brown as the damaged areas dry up? I get some rootstock roses, too. I call them sucker roses or just "dumb suckas". The bloom once a year and that's it. I think the variety is "Doctor Huey". They would be o.k. if they weren't sapping the strength from the legitimate roses.

Celia, you should wait until about two months before your general growing season ends and then divide your irises. You could probably do it now if you really had to, but it is harder for them to get established in hot weather. However, if you want to send plants to someone in a different zone, you can dig those up any time that is right for them.

There is talk that the state is going to close down the vast majority of the state parks. In my area, that would include half of the public lands in the Santa Monica Mountains and almost all of the beaches.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 31, 2009
66 F
Haze
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: 4 mph from the South
Clouds: Overcast 1900 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I thought all of my irises were done a long time ago but here are two blooming now. (Both need to be moved to a sunnier spot.)
Congratulations

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6623277

Lightning Streak

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6623279

portulaca

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6623285

nigella growing in a gap in the sidewalk - No, we aren't very good a keeping things all neat here.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6623952

Thanks, Kelli. With the pretty things that grow in your sidewalks, I wouldn't be picky about neatness. All we get a dandelions and the neighbors tree seeds.

A lovely day. Not too terribly hot and now it's cloudy with a chance of some rain.

Crystal left around 10:30am. Now, I'm sad again. BUT, she'll be bringing the god-babies next time. Yea! I guess they were pretty mad at her yesterday when they found out she left w/o them! LOL

Two "sheeps" that pass in the night.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6624073

Celia Endorphins shmendorphinsI had 1 tat done 10 years ago and it hurt the entire time! Never again I say LOL! Maybe I dont have any endorphins left.hehehehehe Aww Monty is so sweet give him and Isis belly kisses for me
Kelli Why are they talking about closing the state parks. They are National Institutions (my thoughts only). Thats crazysorry my vent beautiful blooms!
Celia - Tooo cute :)!

77.5 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 61 F
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Low 67. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

note to self - next time I use dryer sheets to ward off mosquitos - remove said dryer sheets from pockets BEFORE washing shorts - verrrrrry messy laundry :(

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6624128

I gave Isis belly kisses for you and she just looked at me like, "What the...?" Monty loved every second! LOL Have I mentioned he purrs REALLY loud? Sounds like a motor boat.

"Sheeps" Ahoy!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6624294

Ahh, the lamb laying down with the lion.

Cool hibiscus! The state is in mega-debt, so they are thinking of ways to cut back. They'll leave open the parks that pay for themselves, but want to close the others. I'm sure they could find better things to cut back on, but I'm not going to go there. I think sales tax in L.A. County goes up to ten point something percent tomorrow.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6624529

Sunny with a small breeze and muggy today. Now dark and muggy.

Thumbnail by pepper23

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #6625323

We've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/996360/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America