Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Help with flower Seedling Identification!

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 17, Views: 241
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #6581933

I bought a bunch of heirloom flower seeds this year...sewed them out in early spring like the directions said...but didn't label where they all were. Now I have quite a few seeds sprouting, and I'm not sure what are weeds and what are flowers. Does anyone know of a seed identification website where I can look at pictures to see if I'm growing weeds or flowers? I've searched, but have been unsuccessful.
Thanks!
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6583746

Have a look at http://www.theseedsite.co.uk
But not all seedlings are on it.
If it's possible for you, take some pictures and give a list of what you sowed.
Heirloom flower seeds are for some people weeds.
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6585529

Thank you for your help...all the way from Belgium! I will take some pictures and post them when I get around to it.
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

May 23, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #6586019

I have many zinea seeds that have sprouted but they don't seem to be developing true leaves. Does that mean they need more nutrients?
trc65
Galesburg, IL

May 23, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #6586064

Here are a couple of links that may be of limited help depending on which flowers you are looking for. First is the USDA image database of plants (mostly US natives, but also includes some cultivars and non-natives) http://plants.usda.gov/gallery.html
The USDA also has many pictures of seeds for those looking to ID unknown or unlabeled seeds.

Second, why not spend some time to learn weed ID so you know what to pull as well as what not to pull.
http://www.weedalert.com
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2009
5:38 AM

Post #6608040

I finally got out to take a picture of my little seedlings. I've looked on the websites you've all suggested, but haven't determined what this plant is yet. Anyone recognize this?

Thumbnail by CassysCorner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trc65
Galesburg, IL

May 28, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6610226

Were Hollyhocks in your mix?? I'm not sure if that's what they are, but it is a possibility
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6610385

That are no Hollyhocks in my opinion. Could be a lot, maybe Geum.
Do you have a list of what you did sow?
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6614496

I know it's not hollyhock, because I planted those, and these look different. Here's an incomplete list of what I planted... I often will throw down seeds from a friends house, then forget about it! It's called A.D.D. gardening. :)
--Pimpernel 'gentian blue'
--Browallia blue lady
--Chinese foxglove (not digitalis)
--bells of ireland
--snapdragons

I looked on theseedsite website, and the closest I could find was a geranium or mallow. I don't think I threw either of those down, but could have...never know.
Thanks for all your help!
--Cassy
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6614502

One more thing, I know they are not Geum's. I have Geum's and their leaves are much longer in length. Thank you though.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6614963

Well, it's not:
Pimpernel 'gentian blue'
Browallia blue lady
Bells of ireland
Snapdragons
I dont't know Chinese foxglove , but I googled it, and I think that's not the one.
Maybe this one just volunteered in your garden.

trc65
Galesburg, IL

May 29, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6615438

After eliminating most of those on your list, it could very well be one of the mallows that are weeds. In my part of the country, we have several weedy mallows. Check some of the weed ID sites and you may find a match.
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2009
6:18 AM

Post #6688910

I agree these do look like both hollyhock and mallow seedlings. But, our mallow weeds have a tougher leaf that is a bit darker green. The hollyhocks have a lighter green leaf with a more textured leaf. The plants have grown, so I'll go out and take another picture to see if anyone can further identify. I'll post it soon.
If we don't figure it out, I'll just wait until they flower! If they're ugly, I'll yank them out. :)
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2009
7:04 AM

Post #6726436

I just read today's article about creeping charlie. Could that be what this is? I did transplant a bunch of stuff from my Grandma's house. I wonder if it transfered to my house from her soil???
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 1, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6761838

Look like it to me.
This is my creeping charlie

Thumbnail by kassy_51

CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2009
6:04 AM

Post #6783324

So, Kassy with a "K", this is Cassy with a "C"...
Is your creeping Charlie a nuisance? Or is it a nice groundcover? Do you recommend I pull it up? It's not currently invading anything super important.
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6785209

Hi Cassy with a "C'
It's a ground cover in an area of my boyfriends lawn. He has an acre of land, and it is near the back south west corner. We just mow over it where it is, and let it be. I remember my mom having it too, and when it went towards the flower beds, we pulled it. We always left some, but pulled what was going towards the flower beds. Plant files say it may be a noxious weed or invasive.
But then so is Dame's Rocket, and my boyfriend likes that one. And so is Butter and Eggs, and he likes that too.
But my Russel Lupine can be considered invastive and I love them.
The call is up to you. If it's not bothering anything, and you like it, leave it and keep an eye on it.
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6785225

A close up of Charlie in bloom :)

Thumbnail by kassy_51

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America