Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poppies: Can anyone ID these as poppies?

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 3, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
boogiemanspud
Iowa, IA

May 24, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6591630

I planted these probably around the 10th of April. I gave up on them not coming up after about 3 weeks and hadn't even went near them in frustration. Anyway, yesterday I walked by them and saw what is in the pic. The larger one I think is where I planted my purple/blue somniferum. The smaller ones are where I planted my red setigerum. Are these poppies? I think so but don't want to get my hopes up lol. The setigeum look like they need thinned really badly.

I even got fed up and planted some mccormics poppy seeds in some peat pellets. Surprisingly they germinated GREAT, probably 95% or better. I put them outside and they were doing good. Three days later we had some freak storm with INSANELY fast wind, followed by about 5-10 minutes of marble size hail. Needless to say the newly planted sprouts were toast... I was so fed up I never even looked back till I saw these yesterday lol.

Thumbnail by boogiemanspud
Click the image for an enlarged view.

boogiemanspud
Iowa, IA

May 24, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6591635

here is what i believe to be setigeum

Thumbnail by boogiemanspud
Click the image for an enlarged view.

artemiss
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6599373

No idea on the second ones, but I'm pretty sure the first ones are, in fact, somniferums:)
boogiemanspud
Iowa, IA

May 26, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6599798

I already weeded around the somniferums, there were several little ones in the weeds, but none so close they needed thinned. I have to still weed around the setigerum and thin them. It's hard work weeding around poppies lol! Well, time consuming anyway!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America