Can anyone ID these as poppies?

Iowa, IA

I planted these probably around the 10th of April. I gave up on them not coming up after about 3 weeks and hadn't even went near them in frustration. Anyway, yesterday I walked by them and saw what is in the pic. The larger one I think is where I planted my purple/blue somniferum. The smaller ones are where I planted my red setigerum. Are these poppies? I think so but don't want to get my hopes up lol. The setigeum look like they need thinned really badly.

I even got fed up and planted some mccormics poppy seeds in some peat pellets. Surprisingly they germinated GREAT, probably 95% or better. I put them outside and they were doing good. Three days later we had some freak storm with INSANELY fast wind, followed by about 5-10 minutes of marble size hail. Needless to say the newly planted sprouts were toast... I was so fed up I never even looked back till I saw these yesterday lol.

Thumbnail by boogiemanspud
Iowa, IA

here is what i believe to be setigeum

Thumbnail by boogiemanspud
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

No idea on the second ones, but I'm pretty sure the first ones are, in fact, somniferums:)

Iowa, IA

I already weeded around the somniferums, there were several little ones in the weeds, but none so close they needed thinned. I have to still weed around the setigerum and thin them. It's hard work weeding around poppies lol! Well, time consuming anyway!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.