Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring: My forsythia is covered with seeds

Communities > Forums > Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings SpringReplies: 5, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6592290

The seeds are all over the long branches. I first noticed them two years ago. The finches love to eat them and so do the cardinals and a few other unidentified birds.
I gathered a bunch of them and planted them in pots and they germinated readily.
I don't know if it is a species or a cultivar so don't know if they will come true from seed.
I use the cuttings to plant here and there in my large yard that is otherwise pretty sparse in the area that they are in.
I have a humongous one in the front yard that covers a large area and provides a haven away from the scorching sun for my cats and dogs.
I noticed you said you did not see any seeds on yours.

Thumbnail by Windy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Aunt_A

May 24, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6592549

Interesting...no seeds still on mine...hmmm...I always love free bird food though. Calling beautiful birds to a dinner is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for reading and writing.

April
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6595697

I went out and pinched a piece off of my bush. It is setting seeds now. The pointy things near the woody branch. They will dry to a brownish color and then split open. This is when the birds will enjoy them. There are tan seeds inside that are about four to five to a pod.

Thumbnail by Windy

Aunt_A

May 26, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6598078

Windy,

Wow...interesting. Do you have a pic of your plant in bloom?

BTW: Nice yard pic; love all the plants in the yard. I plan to get more planted in my yard...someday when I've got some time.

Planted some yellow Morning Glory plants today; hope they do well.

April
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6601407

I was going to post one but couldn't find one earlier. Thank goodness for search programs. LOl
This was in March this year.

Thumbnail by Windy

Aunt_A

May 26, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6601681

Gloriously splendid!

Thanks for sharing.

April

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fond memories Dutchlady1 7 May 5, 2009 11:31 PM
Love and Hate darius 7 May 25, 2009 8:10 PM
An ardent admirer of forsythias. heavenscape 1 May 5, 2009 11:33 PM
We are responsible DianeEG 1 May 5, 2009 11:24 PM
MY FORSYTHIA HAD NO BLOOMS LAST TWO YRS SABELLA 1 May 5, 2009 11:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America