Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time!: Forsythia

Communities > Forums > Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time!Replies: 1, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ladybeetle
zone 7, TX

May 25, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6595297

So what you are saying is after pruning less than 1/3 of it, the branches will look the same, only the bush will be thinned out looking? Do I cut off the branch all the way to a nub? My Forsythia was propogated from an adult bush, two years ago, and it has a ' fountain' look to it. Is that how I should keep the shape? I notice I have growth off of these branches, should I prune them off to keep the fountain look?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6596055

New growth will not bloom. To optimize blooms, yes, you should cut the long, newest growth off. Depending on whether or not you have a newer cultivar, forsythia will generally look bushier and fuller if pruned; if you go all the way back to a joint, you should accomplish that easily (and the bush WILL recover), but just a few inches here and there to prevent those scraggly long new non-flowering canes from spoiling the shape (whichever YOU decide you like and your forsythia can handle) will do. I.e. the branches will be bushier looking but the bush's shape should be the same. I'm not saying cut every third branch off, rather cut every branch shorter by one-third. (Like getting a hair cut. You don't want your hair layered, just trimmed by 3".)

Whether to keep what you describe as a "fountain" look is entirely up to you and the particular cultivar of forsythia in question. If yours was bred to be a round little dwarf, it won't be happy as a big fountain. Conversely, if it was designed to be a weeping form, you will never be able to get it pruned into the shape of a ball or a hedge.

Hope that helps! I should have gone more into what to do instead of what NOT to do, I guess!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
pronunciation sallyg 17 May 27, 2009 9:04 PM
DEAD FORSYTHIA REBORN!!!!! HILLHEAD 11 Sep 1, 2010 8:44 AM
spring pruning plants - forsythia incl. pspiersy 1 May 26, 2009 2:04 PM
You got confused... Elysia 1 Apr 2, 2010 9:49 AM
suckers paulaj0 3 Jun 28, 2010 7:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America