Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: Any Seed Sales Starting Soon?? May 25, 2009

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 13, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6596805

Hi, Wintersowers,

Thought you all would know better than any others when the seed sales will be starting!

Seems to me Thompson & Morgan usually has their sale the first week in June...?

Does anyone know of other sales starting up??

Thanks. t.

p.s. I didn't get my wintersowing done this year and I miss all of you!!

Hope you are having great success in your gardens this spring and I will look for photos!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6597630

tabasco: No wintersowing at all this year? I've just about finished planting out, still have lots of weeding/ moving volunteers/ mulching to do though.

Sorry, I don't know of any current seed sales. I'm rarely efficient enough to plan that far ahead. I'll start thinking about it in the fall.

Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6597840

No, no wintersowing at all and I really regret it.

I had some family responsibilities to take care of this winter and couldn't muster up the energy to get my milk jugs lined up. And I thought my garden was full anyway.

I just ordered a bunch of native wildflower seeds from Everwilde this evening (this always happens when my DH goes out of town and I have lots of time to surf the internet!) so I will be busy sowing those seeds, probably next winter. I plan to convert part of my back yard from a sickly lawn into a wildflower native garden with a focus on butterfly nectar and host plants.

k., I know you have a wonderful garden with all of your wintersowing successes. Someday I'm going to get over there and sneak a peek at it! (-:

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6599109

o bad you didn't get to wintersow at least a few.

A wildflower garden sounds great. A lot of wildflower seeds can just be broadcast to come up in spring without the jugs at all I think.

My yard is a mess now. I only WSed about 35 jugs this year I think and most are planted out. I dumped 3 duds a few days ago and am holding on to only the last 2 now. But the volunteers are unbelievable! It just looks like a mass of weeds. I've been trying to get rid of verbena bonariensis for 2 years without much progress. Every time I clear an area of them, the soil is disturbed and dozens more pop up. Someone please shoot me for ever planting it in the first place. Rudbeckia is another- it's showing up everywhere and I actually sowed more this year. I have to be better about deadheading than in the past.

I don't have a whole lot in bloom yet. White rose campion (WS last year) is just starting as is Penstemon Smallii. I think I'm going to love that one. I didn't have a whole lot of sprouts in it last year so planted the whole jug together as one hunk. Although I knew it would be a tall plant I stuck it in the only place I could find - a spot right in front of a border. Bad placement.

Also blooming now are established chives (which need to be deadheaded), verbascum, one maltese cross, columbine (destroyed by sawfly larvae), gaillardia and Laura Bush petunia are just starting. Last year's digitalis is pretty this year.

I'd love to meet you sometime, tabasco. I'd love to see your place, too, which in pictures looks like the Ponderosa. Mine is just your average suburban lot, now a weedy-looking one.

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6600549

Sounds like your summer garden will be glorious! And your digitalis are already beautiful!

I could kick myself for not getting some of those WSed, so now I have to fuss with the seed starting this summer! I am going to do Excelsior hybrid seeds. They look a lot like your pretty photo.

I am moving around lots of volunteer Verbena B. too, but I don't mind it so much because my butterflies love it. I'm planting a butterfly garden at my sister's home nearby for her three little girls so I move all the V. babies over there. (She has better sun for the butterflies.) If you have any extra seedlings of Tithonia, zinnia, milkweeds or other Butterfly magnet plants, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands and trade or pay you for them. I mapped out a rather large space for her butterfly garden~~what was I thinking??!

I wish you would stop in at the RU June 6 at Steamboat cove (Woodland Mound Park) but I know you are very busy with family, work and garden this time of year!

Good luck with your seedlings and weedlings! t.

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6601773

I wish I had know someone actually wanted verbena bonar.- I think I've composted a whole bin of volunteers this year. They're even coming up between, among, and within my established plants. I just can't get rid of them.

Don't know about the roundup. I really have nothing to trade. I sowed few this year and certainly wouldn't have tried to pot up all these volunteers.

Among other things I tackled volunteer nicotiana today. These can't be new, volunteer annual roots. They have to have overwintered.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6601778

More roots, same plant

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6601781

more

Thumbnail by kqcrna

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6604007

Well, you don't have to trade anything to the RU (I don't), just come to meet everyone. I just go for an hour or so and then sometimes since I am so close (a mile or so away), sometimes a few DGers might come over to my house for a visit when they are ready to leave. Just a friendly afternoon.

Interesting about your nicotiana roots. I didn't know those had to be overwintered. I think I have three coming up in our garden, but they may just be weeds that I am nursing along! Not sure. Must look for a leaf pic on Plant Files.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6605896

t- I don't know if your interested in ordering any perennial plants, but Bluestone is having their 1/2 price sale now.

Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6606092

Thanks for the tip on Bluestone! I guess I'm off their e-mail alert list these days!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6606767

Well, since you didn't wintersow, you could overcompensate by buying out Bluestone ;-)

Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6610229

Oh, you are truly an Enabler!!

I'm supposed to cut my spending at nurseries and just sow seeds and take cuttings this year!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6610554

I have been lusting for echinacea pink double delight, a hybrid I CAN'T start from seeds. I haven't seen it locally, though I must admit I haven't looked too hard. I was thinking of ordering it from Bluestone during the sale. Today after work I stopped at Nature's Corner, a garden center near my home. They had it, $13 for a gallon sized pot. I bought it; it seemed meant to be. After all, no shipping cost.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America