Photo by Melody

Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?: Ya did it again! A delightful article!

Communities > Forums > Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?
bookmark
Forum: Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?Replies: 53, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6599368

You never let us down. Any time I start to read one of your delightful articles I know that I am in for a delightful surprise. I don't know how you continually do it but KEEP up the good work. I didn't know that ivy produced berries and I had never thought of making wreaths for later use as a nice place to feed the birds in the winter. Great idea!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6600002

Hi Elena,
So nice to hear from you, and I am glad you liked the ivy story. Well, I was taught to 'make do' with most things, so most of what I write about is the result of that teaching. I am glad it entertains you. When we used to visit where there were no children, my mom would say 'Just go outside, find a stick, and make something'...and I always did.
Thank you so much for writing.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6600238

I learned early in life to not be bored and to find something to do. I haven't been bored since. My mother used to always have the same response if I was bored. She always found WORK for me to do. That is a sure fire cure for a kid to learn to "make do" and create or just get busy doing something other than working!!!!!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 26, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6600648

Sharon: We've been out of town this weekend and just got home. Another wonderful article from your very imaginative child self. I must admit I'm not a fan of ivy, but I can certainly appreciate its beauty and the folklore associated with it and all nature.

Hugs,

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6600655

Hi Angie, hope your weekend was great.
Thank you!
And hugs back.
duchessdreams
Reno, NV

May 26, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6600878

Great story as always. Haven't lived anywhere that I've planted ivy but it sure is lovely.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6600978

DD, your comments always make me smile.
So good to see you, and nice to share my world with you, too.
Someday you will have to show me pictures of yours.
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6601153

Friends don't let friends plant ivy!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6601362

I am just about ready to agree with you, teri.

I have this planter in front, filled with ivy, and it looks really pretty. It is the one I mentioned that grows in the shape of a turtle. I always keep it trimmed and it stays where it is supposed to stay. But I have been gone for about 10 days, and the rains came. I just now came in from trimming that pot of ivy. It was growing in the driveway, up my brick arches, on the sidewalk, into the iris, around the daylilies, and up on the butterfly bush.

I was trying to remember if I had any bitter enemies I could send all these trimmings to.
I think it is too late to erase this article.
But thanks for your advice, made me smile through the sweat, too.
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 26, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6601425

i spent the weekend pulling up ivy that had wrapped itself around every nearby plant---i came in and my arms were all welted up--so i am not ivy appreciative today! a house nearby has it covering the front and looks like an english cottage! ivy is pretty but can be a lot of work ! i will always be "blessed" with it since nothing gets rid of it--all that said-nice article and thanks
duchessdreams
Reno, NV

May 26, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6601479

LOL. Ever since I heard the story of great grandma of my husband having an asparagus fern get out of controll and grow thru the airducts in her house, I haven't wanted to plant that or ivy.
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 26, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6601509

sometimes vines can just be a bit scary!! a fern growing thru the airducts would be a bit creepy!! pretty funny stuff!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 26, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6601628

As always, my first thought is if an asparagus fern can get in those air ducts, can't snakes? I am terrified of snakes. Maybe I should change my user name to Herptophobic!

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6601727

Ha ha...
I have been out battling it again. In the article there is a picture of a big pot I have filled with ivy on a stump in my back yard. In the 10 days I have been gone, that ivy crept down the hill the 10 or so feet to my back deck. There is pea gravel under the deck, the silly ivy is growing in the gravel, has it's little roots wrapped around it and when I pulled it out, the gravel came too.

I don't know what ever possessed me to write this blasted article but just delete it from your screens, please, and never mention it again. I must have been out of my mind.

Angie. Do not talk to me of snakes. I know they have uses, and I know they have a purpose, but do not mention them or ivy ever again.

Grrrrrrr...moan...mumble...
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 27, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6601784

sharron that is too funny! " delete it from our screens!" i feel like between us all we need to write a horror movie -vines wrapping around everything while snakes slither out of the air ducts! sorry angie-i shouldn't add to your snake phobia with that mental image!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6601802

Your feelings toward ivy reminds me of my feelings toward wild violets!!!!! LOL! My flower beds and borders are overcome by those beautiful little buggers.
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 27, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6601815

since i have never grown a violet i cannot imagine it not behaving
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6601830

Actually I think I wrote the article sometime during the winter when I was having kind warm feelings toward it because it was about the only green thing out there. Sure is a good thing I didn't write about it today. Goodness what a mess.

Yes about the novel.

Once upon a time there was a little old lady living with her two cats and the rains came and the ivy grew and grew and grew and the little old lady and her two cats were never seen again.

The end.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6601842

Linda, do not listen to Elena, she has a thing about my violets. I love 'em, she doesn't. Most of the time she and I agree on things, but not my violets. She doesn't know but I am going to sneak some down to her some day when she least expects it. She can't possibly say no to a gift now, can she?

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 27, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6602329

Our house in WI had Boston Ivy on the walls, it drops its leaves in
winter, unlike the
english ivy. Not as spreading, although do cut it off shutters.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6602335

OH, YES SHE CAN!

I think I will just take my camera outside in the next few days after the monsoon is over and take pictures of those wonderful little plants choaking out my other plants. Each of the grown plants has to be dug out individually. The precious little ones are coming up EVERYWHERE!

Oh! Ivy and I get along together just fine so I am not that difficult to get along with. LOL!

Sharon, I love you but save your gas coming here with more violets. There is no more room for them since their brothers and sisters have squatter's rights and they have taken over everywhere. I guess I could name my place, "violet garden" and just let them kill out everything else. .
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6602399

Iris, please ignore Elena's rants. She gets like this over the very smallest little purple things.

Thank you for writing, Iris, and in spite of my adventures or misadventures today with my ivy, I will let it remain in my yard, at least for a while longer. I should never have let it go this long before trimming.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6602406

Shar I feel your pain!
We filled three 32 gallon trash cans w/ it today.
This from a 5' x 20' bed... probably 3 more cans to go.

GREAT Article.

Wish we did have Fairies in there. I'd put the little buggers to work on the Ivy!

Ric
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 27, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6602413

the next article could be----" elena and sharran battle it out over the wild violet-beauty or menace"
then again it could be ---"house crushed by english ivy after sharran encourages dave's gardeners to increase their ivy planting"

i'm off to bed and hopefully without visions of ivy dancing in my head! or snakes! but wild violets are ok! since i still can't picture those little violets causing any problems! of course my violet experience is african violets --good night all

This message was edited May 26, 2009 9:08 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6602433

Shar I'll send you some Bamboo to test for an article next year...
Along w/ some Northern Sea Oats...

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6602465

Yes, Ric...do!!! I have bamboo, but not the kind I know you have. And Northern Sea Oats?? Don't know about them at all.

Tell me again about your bamboo, I remember when you mentioned it somewhere, I instantly wanted it.

Thanks Ric.

Nite Linda, ha ha about the next articles...
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 27, 2009

Post #6602466

[quote]Once upon a time there was a little old lady living with her two cats and the rains came and the ivy grew and grew and grew and the little old lady and her two cats were never seen again.[/quote]

BUT down where the woodbine twineth, the snakes and the asparagus ferns lived on and on and on...

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6602547

If anyone wants to send me a box of chocolates that would probably help the situation greatly. If I am in a chocoholic stupor, I probably won't mind pesky violets nearly as much as now.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6602621

I always love your articles, but I have to agree that English ivy is veeeeeeery scary. Just read about it in PlantFiles! I keep mine confined to a pot in the guest bathroom.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6602638

Shar I'll send you some 'sea oat' seeds or seedlings.
They basically look like the Sea Oats from the Shores on the East Coast.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/798/
Just don't let the seeds get away.
GREAT winter interest plant.
You can do an article
Sharron Sowes Sea Oats from the Sea Shore!

We grow about 10 different Bamboos.
The one you are thinking of is probably Phyllostachys nigra (Black Bamboo).
The dwarf ones are really the thugs.

Ric
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6602648

Yes, but Biv, I notice YOU have some!!

Mine is supposed to be confined, too, but this time it got terribly out of control. Thanks for reading the article. It's always fun when one of them stirs up things as this one did. And yes, I did read about it in PF, but even so, I just had to write the article. Glad to hear from you. I hope the flooding has stopped at your house..

Elena, I always keep my chocolate to myself, sorry...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6602669

Yes, Ric, it was the black that caught my eye. I didn't even know about it till I saw your picture or read what you wrote.

A tongue twister for an article...hmmmmm, sounds like an idea to me! And you know I am up for all kinds of crazy article ideas. Thank you, also for the Sister Sharon Sea Oats from the Sea Shore...
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 27, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6606178

henry there was a very bad story a while back about a fight between neighbors over bamboo! the thow men were friends until one planted bamboo and it all got ugly from there on out-- i guess it can get totally out of control too--

elena--i agree chocolate does make everything easier -- which is why i should have the chocolate donations with my very bad ivy!!

love the tongue twister henry!!

biv be very careful of that guest room ivy--i wouldn't want it for a guest!!

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6606219

Bamboo! My husband is the bamboo king! If he ever gets unable to keep it in check, I fully expect it to overcome the neighborhood. Won't we be popular then??????????????????????
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6607215

Guest Eaten by Ivy in FL...Film at 11...

Luckily my neighbors liked the Bamboo so much they WANTED it to run over to them.

Ric

This message was edited May 27, 2009 11:09 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009

Post #6607232

Great photo, Ric...

Maybe it was an unwanted guest, ya think?

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6607464

No need to worry about my guests: For some odd reason this ivy never has clung to the walls or anything else...even though I rather hoped it would climb up the wall. It leans against the wall, but it's never grabbed onto it as my other ivy grabbed onto the side of a cabinet in the kitchen.

And now the poor thing, heretofore so lovely, has developed an illness. The ends of several shoots have turned black and are dying from the tips down. I'm wondering if it's some kind of bacterial infection. I really hate seeing this happen because it's about three or four years old now. It really looks so pretty in its cobalt blue pot sitting on the vanity which houses a Mexican Talavera sink with a cobalt background.

So, no, my guest have nothing to fear from that poor English ivy since it's truly confined to that pot. However, the pitcher plant on the back porch is another matter altogether...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6607514

Ummmmm, what's a pitcher plant, Biv??

Poor ivy. Give her a nice burial, please...if it comes to that, of course.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6607548

A pitcher plant is a carnivorous plant (heh heh) that has long, bulbous containers which trap insects. I have a very healthy one, not too creatively named Audrey.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6607561

Picture of the pitcher, Biv, please...
Audrey is good.

Has the water stopped gushing down your hill?

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6607602

It's not gushing as much as it was. Our gullywashers the past couple of days haven't lasted too long. Sat. my WH dug a trench in an effort to direct the water away from the porch and the foundation. I noticed that the water still is running down the sides of the street next to us. Last year after Hurricane Fay, the street had water running down it for about a month even though the rain had stopped, and our yard still had rivulets finding their way to the bottom of the hill. Mind you, this is FL; so when I say "hill," don't picture a small mountain.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #6607640

Daughter and friends live in Florida, one of my favorite places, so I know about hills.
I am glad you aren't having it pouring in your house anyway.
Strange weather patterns these days.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6607650

Up here we say slight incline fpr a FL Hill...

Love to see a picture of Audrey...

Ric
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6607655

Yes, I gotta see Audrey now, too!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6607681

I'll try to get a picture of her tomorrow.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6607690

Thank you, Biv, I can't wait!!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6607756

She lives on our screened porch at the back of the house. We've had her since April 19 when we bought her at a spring festival in a nearby town. As we were walking with her in hand, a woman stopped me and said she had one that was old and healthy because she misted it daily. However, when I researched pitcher plants online, I read that they shouldn't be misted. Ever. I can't believe that stranger was malicious; I've always found plant people to be especially nice and generous with their knowledge. So I misted her for a few days and then stopped when I read that. Audrey still seems very healthy and happy in her new abode.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6607775

I have to see her. I can only imagine...

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6607906

When my husband saw her, I knew he'd want her, too, because she was so unusual looking.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6607922

I am going to be up all night just thinking of Audrey. You paint an intrigue with your words, Biv.
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 28, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6610850

hope no one is offended but my friend calls it the rubber plant
looks sort of like condoms hanging down over the side of the pot--at least the one i gave her did--
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6610885

Heh heh, Linda...I just saw a photo of one of them.
You are right!!!!
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 28, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6610918

a whole new meaning to rubber plant!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6611094

Yep!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Treasure postmandug 7 May 26, 2009 7:16 PM
mature and juvenile forms of ivy gloria125 15 Jan 28, 2013 7:50 AM
other ivies jrainger 2 Jun 2, 2009 5:19 AM
Great article dbelcher 1 Jun 13, 2011 9:28 AM
Caution the_naturalist 1 Jun 14, 2011 4:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America