Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Who has a fountain without a pond feature?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 15, Views: 202
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6601173

We found a great fountain this past weekend at a local water garden store. Their website is http://www.prairiecreeknursery.com and the store was a BLAST to visit!

Hubby and I took the fountain home and set it up in the shaded hosta area, near the space we were originally going to put a koi pond. Koi pond is indefinitely nixed, but we love our new fountain! Ignore the cord, we are going to bury that!

Who else has a fountain without a pond attached? Please share your pictures : )

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6601175

Here is a close-up of the part where the water enters the basin.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6601591

I don't have a fountain, but I'm so glad you found one to substitute for your pond! haha! I wish they made more that are solar powered. Congratulations on your new garden addition! :)
Froukje
huvenia
Lake Charles, LA

May 27, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6603622

Great fountain. How large is the basin? Maybe you could add a couple walmart goldfish to it, just to show DH the 'need' for fish . LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6604167

I've posted a few pics of my blue ball before, so some of you may have seen it. It sits near my front door where the front brick walk comes in and the stone walk goes around to the side of the house. So it's a main feature of the front entrance.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6604203

Here is a link to another thread, this will show you the whole install for anyone that is interested in something like this.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/831255/

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6604234

Last shot.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6604465

Thank you for posting the pictures, your blue fountain is gorgeous!
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 16, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6697785

HollyAnn, what a gorgeous garden feature. Magnificant colour as well. What is it made of? Is it heavy? How do you replenish the water? It truly is beautiful!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6698369

bedouin, I posted a link that will take you to a thread with a description of the whole project. Basically it is a glazed heavy pottery ball it is hollow with a hole in the bottom about as big as my fist and the small one in the top just big enough for a piece of tubing. It wasn't very expensive might have cost around $30. Under the stone bed is a metal grid that fits over a cut off 55gal plastic drum that was buried in the yard. There is a submersible circulating pump in the bottom of the drum. That is what holds the water and to replenish it I just run the hose close to the bottom of the ball and let it rundown thru the grid and into the tub.
Thank you for the nice comments. Holly
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 17, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6698949

I thought the price would be much higher! What type of business stocked it? Nursery? Not that I've seen anything like your beauty sold locally, but I imagine if one ever did find it here, it would be at a much higher cost! Your like was very clear. Thanks for posting it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6699753

bedouin, I picked it up while on vacation in Duck, N.C. I had been looking for something like it for a long time. I had been thinking an old mill stone would be nice but couldn't find one in my price range and liked the look of those stone balls but the ones I found were $$$. Then I saw this and it was just right. The shop inside had the typical beach shop junk, but outside the yard was filled with tons of pottery lots of large pots. Not sure where it was imported from but I always think Mexican Pottery when I find this heavy clay type of pottery. We go down there a couple of times a year and although they still have all the pots I have never seen these fountains other than that one year and then they only had 3 of them.
Have you been over to the Hypertufa and Concrete Forum? They have a lot of projects that would make nice water features. There is a thread that will show you how to make the balls that I had first been interested in.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6700600

This inspired me and I found this at the auction friday night for 20.00

Thumbnail by TARogers5

bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 17, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6701398

Thanks for the information HollyAnn. Similar types of water features (granite balls, huge upright pillars/vases etc, none as lovely as yours ) are priced in the $4-500++ range at Dania Water Gardens near Ft. L. Given their price and the unpredictability of hurricane strengths, anything in the garden is at risk every summer! Particulary if its large and not secured into the ground. Believe me, if I found one like yours, blue, green, or yellow range of colours for that price, I'd probably not be satisfied with one!...I flurk on the Hypertufa and Concrete forum religiously. Keep promising myself that I'll start with something simple, but have not put thought to action! Such creative artists! Wish there was a locally held Hypertufa class one could sight up for.
TARogers, my eye went to the delightfully whimsical frog! Good find!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6702841

I got the water fountain at the auction and added the frog to sing praises to the angel. Thought that was pretty cute. LOL
I think I need to replace the dryer vent.
I too want to try making a large ball. Its been a while since I did any Hypertufa.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6703070

TaRogers, Love that angel very beautiful. What is it made of?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America