Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: brown murk at the bottom

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 9, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6605183

I have recently restarted my stream/pond. After a few weeks I had sting algae of course. I put the Mean Green Aglae Team stuff in from Best Nest. I used it with great success last year. You sprinkle the white granular stuff on the algae (looks like power detergent) and later add the bacteria. Within a week or so my water looked the color of ice tea. I called the company who referred me to the manufacturer - she had never heard of water this color. I had used the same product last year.

I took pics but haven't sent them to her yet. But now there is the dead algae (apparently) on the bottom of the stream and on top of rocks in the pond. Do I buy a vac to clean my pond muck? Is there a cheaper system or what would anyone recommend?

Kathy
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6605672

Kathy

My husband bought a toilet bowl brush for just this thing. He even has one attached to a long pole for the places he cannot reach. Hubby even went so far as to buy a small wire brush and has it attached to another pole so he can reach some of the crevices in the waterfalls to remove algae.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6605699

I've used the toilet brush and that works great. I need something to get the brown, dead stuff off the bottom after the algae is killed. The toilet brush is great to roll around and grab all the algae but the Mean Green Algae stuff kills it right away and keeps it clear for a long time. The bacteria that comes with the kit then takes over. But I need the dead brown stuff out.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6605751

Kathy -

Sorry, I guess I misread your posting.

I know there was one year where there was some type of particulate that was in the water. So we bought a large tub with a top at Lowes. DH then hooked up an 'in' hose into the upper portion of one side and an 'out' hose on the lower part of the bottom of the tub. He went to Walmart and purchased quilt batting and filled the tub with the quilt batting. He then ran the water through the tub and back into the pond. This went a long way to removing those little particles that were in the water. I know he had to stop and clean off the quilt batting from time to time. I think everything all together cost less than $20.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6608630

That is a great idea. I assume he used a pump to pull the water from the pond into the tub and the water simply drained from the lower hose back into the pond. I put some filter mess at the water fall PVC pipe where it enters the stream and that helped but the stuff I need removed is the sediment on the bottom of the stream - deal algae I assume. I guess getting a water hose and flushing it down stream into the pond and letting it come through the mess filter would work. I hate to spend the money for the pond vac
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6611481

Kathy

DH did have a pump involved with the set up. I can't remember what was in the water, but the quilt batting did go a long way to taking the stuff out of the water.

Carolyn
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6613465

And it was the murky brown stuff at the bottom of the water?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6615850

Kathy

No it wasn't. Not sure what to tell you - We do use one of those water powered pond leaf eaters, but I don't know if that would take care of the problem. We use it both in the spring when the water is about 55-60 degrees and in the fall just before we shut down. http://www.watergarden.org/s.nl/it.A/id.130/.f?partner=froogle

shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6618075

I think mine is the sediment from the dead algae.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6618489

Kathy

It probably is. Sediments do occur naturally in the bottom of a pond.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America