Painted Kitchen Counters

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Just wanted to show off my latest project. I painted my kitchen counters. I wanted new ones and can't afford to be paying the prices they want for new counters so I took matters into my own hands and painted them. I still need to put about 3 to 4 coats of poly on them but thought I would post this now. This is the before pic.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

And here is the after pic.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Here is a close up of the paint job.
What do you think? Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.
Thanks for looking.

GayLynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

one word: PERFECT

love the veining too (...ok more than one word)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks really nice! I love it!

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

OK.......Excellent Job!!!!! Now I need step by step instructions...........I need new ones BAD and can't afford them.PLEASE tell how to do it.

South of Winnipeg, MB(Zone 3a)

Excellent job. They look great.

Thanks for all the compliments. I was worried that it looked kind of bad. I think I may do the bathroom countertops next. I was scared to try it but figured if it didn't work out my DH would have to break down and buy me new counters since it was his idea. I got all the info on how to do it at this site http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html .
I cleaned the counters with TSP... it cleans them well and gives the counters a little bit of a roughness for the paint to grab.
Then I primed them all with 2 coats of Zinssers primer and let them dry over night.
Then I painted my base coat. (I used taupe) and let dry over night.
Then I sponged on the other colors. I used some latex paint, some craft paint. Letting each color dry before applying the next color or it tends to get muddy. The paint drys really fast in this stage so not a lot waiting.
I let that dry over night and am now applying my Polyacrylic. On the website they talk about a product called Enviro Tek to seal it. That sounded hard to work with and scary to me so am using a water based Poly and my then top with an oil based Poly.

GayLynn

When you go to the website just scroll down a bit. They have tons of pictures and other suggestions for painting on there too.
Now I need new drawer pulls and cabinet knobs. Also need to paint the kitchen walls. It just keep snowballing!

This message was edited May 30, 2009 12:25 PM

Here is a pic of them after I put on 5 coats of polyacrylic and the tape removed. I'm pleased with results.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

looks brand new and very professional. How do you have to treat? cleaning different, can you set warm stuff on or do you need something under if the plate is warm?

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

One word, Wow!

With the finish I chose to use, you can not set hot pots and pans directly on them or cut directly on them. I never did any way. I've always used trivets, hotpads and cutting boards. You can't use abrasive cleaners either. There is another type of protective finish that they talk about on the website where you can set hot pans on them though.

Thanks for the kind words!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

AWESOME!

Thanks you flowerjen!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I agree- your paint job technique looks super!
The most daring I have been is to paint over my backsplash tile. I had this ultra 70's style random shaped stone look tile in brown shades. I put a coat of white semigloss trim paint over it. Nothing very attractive but turned it neutral white instead of very dated ugly brown.
Kind of funny (or not) now brown is back in style big time

Isn't that the way it goes!!? Like the old saying... 'everything old is new again'!

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

Sally~ that is LOL funny.. I love that saying, Kind of funny (or NOT) .. lol.. and its so true.. I am so glad to see Brown colors and tones are back in style.. Brown is my fav color, and of course we have those WHITE countertops with tile and grout.. I HATE them.. but the last owners were so proud of their work.. In my dreams I am taking a crow bar to them.. lol.. I want them gone, I don't think you can do anything with them except break them up and start all over with a new counter top..

Very nice Job Stacy.. I love your paint job..

Thank you Dirt_Road!

Marshalls Creek, PA(Zone 6b)

Stacy,
I saw this done on one of those home shows! I was wandering how well they would hold up? being it's painted and all.

You have quite a talent they are beautiful looks like real marble or granite!

Darleen

(Darla) Dubuque, IA(Zone 5a)

Nice work Stacy. Looks professionally done.

Darla

This message was edited Jul 28, 2009 4:10 PM

Thanks for the compliments Darleen and Darla. I too saw this done on one of those home shows long ago and was really skeptical at the time but so far the counters are holding up fine. Though it has only been a few months. I don't 'baby' my counters, but I don't set hot items on them or cut on them. No problems, no regrets so far.

GayLynn

Marshalls Creek, PA(Zone 6b)

Well they look wonderful!!!!!!!!

^_^ Thanks

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It's very tempting. How many days did you need to keep it totally clear to complete the job? The hardest part would be keeping the counter clear and clean.

That was the hardest part for me too sallyg. It took a good week before I was able to use the counter again. In the mean-time I used our dining room table or had the DH take me out to dinner.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

I am just wandering through forums I don't normally read, and had to open this thread because of the subject. I was all "what a mistake that is going to be" -- but I am converted! Wow, I think that is the best "FAUX" finish I have ever seen painted, and your instructions to do it are so clear! I'm not in the market for new countertop, but if I were I'd be hiring you!

~'spin!~

I wonder if this would work for a walk in shower? Has anyone tried? I'm still kicking this idea around.. I mean our shower is great.. Works perfect, I just hate the color.. Then I was told that those are a prefab thing and it was placed in there as the house was being built.. So really don't need a new one just a new color...

New Smyrna Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful work. Absolutely stunning faux finish. Like crystalspin I was just browsing around the forums. Sure am glad I had a chance to see your counter tops.

What made you choose this finish instead of the one that allows you to place hot items on the counter?

Bonnie

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think if you're starting off with Formica underneath, you wouldn't be able to put hot things on it regardless of what sort of paint/coating you used on it.

Thanks for all the compliments spin and greersfolly. I chose this finish because it seemed easier to apply. Also if it didn't work out hubby said he would buy me new counter tops.
Dirt_Road I would think that if this were done in a shower area you would have to use a marine type acrylic to really protect it. Not sure if it would work there. I have noticed that if I let water sit too long in an area that it gets a funny look to it.... kind of like it takes the finish off. But then after a few hours it goes back to normal and you can't see where it was. Kind of scared me at first.

Medford, NJ

Wow - I had no idea that this could even be done! You did a great job, it looks like granite in the photos...I have these horrible bathroom counters, supposed to look like stone. I hate it. I wonder if I could do this, do you mind saying how much it cost for materials?

Stacy.. That info helps.. Thanks.. Because I didnt think about standing water in places.. Hmmm Thanks for the info..

jmp24 ... I had the primer, used about a quart. Then I painted a solid base coat color... I had that too but used less than a quart. Then I bought 4 different colors of latex paint in quarts. However I used so very little of the 4 colors because it is sponged on... I used less than an inch of paint out of each can. I barely dipped my sponge into the paint and blotted most of it off on paper towel. When sponging on be sure to turn your wrist in different directions or you'll get a pattern of the sponge going. If I do this again I would buy little samples of colors and that would be plenty. For the veining I used off white craft paint in those little bottles and watered it down real thin. Then dipped the whole brush in the paint and took most of it off by blotting it a paper towel then would lay my brush down and roll it between my fingers and pull at the same time. I used a little craft brush with long hairs to do it. Then I used the polycrylic. Used a little over a quart of that because I put on 5 coats. My total cost was around $75. Seeing that you are thinking about doing bathroom counters I would see if you could get the sample size paints. Then the cost would come down quite a bit. Not sure if you could get all the colors you want in samples though. Did you visit the web site I linked to in an earlier post? Tons of information and pictures there. Go for it. Very easy to do. I was scared to get started but am pleased with the results.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

GayLynn, I'm getting ready to paint my counters and found your threads! I wish I had found your threads sooner though - I bought one of these kits http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/giani/index.html and I probably could have saved a little money if I had just bought the supplies myself. Hoping to get started this week - I'm going to paint the island first because it's easier and then I'll tackle the rest of the countertop when I feel a little more confident! I hope mine turn out as nice as yours - beautiful job :)

I didn't know these kits existed. Cool. Helps take the guess work out of which colors to get. Good Luck!!! I was scared to death to paint mine but figured if I messed it up I could just paint over it and try again or get brand new counter tops. My sister-in-law has since painted her bathroom counter top too. Please post pictures when you are done, would love to see them.

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Staceysmom...

What you did to those countertops is truly amazing! I found this thread today and shared it with my office Staff...they were just blown away!

Thank-you so much for posting your experience...LOVE IT!

Kat

Thanks Kat! :)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow! Love it! I too was just perusing around DG and found this thread, and I'm so glad I did! I like the kits, too... I think that is a very fair price ($40 for 16 running feet of countertop!). We can't afford to replace our countertops right now, but we could afford to do this and I am quite good at faux painting... I'm excited! Thanks for sharing!

Brenda

Thanks Brenda, if you do decide to do this, would love to see some pictures!
$40 is a very fair price! I want to do my bathroom counter tops next. I think I may pick up the kit. That's less expensive than what it cost me, plus the colors are all picked out already.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.