Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Saving Seeds: How to save seed of Portulaca moss rose

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 8, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6617171

Have grown moss rose for 30 years but never saved seed. It just comes up volunteer or I buy more plants. Want to save seed this year, if possible, so I can have more choice as to what color. At what stage do you collect the seed pod? Seems like they never get totally dry.

Thanks,
DNP
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6617525

One of my favorite plants in the summer is Purslane, cousin to Moss rose. This year two re-seeded...shocked me since it has neer happened in my yard. No buds or blooms yet though.

I also usually buy more plants but did buy seeds from Park Seed this year. I am beginning those next week after I move.

Thumbnail by booplants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6619188

I'd like to hear from folks with more experience about this, too. Funny that you should ask today, because just today I "harvested" some seed off of my portulaca by just breaking open the seed heads (the small round bulb-looking area right below where the bloom was. I was rewarded with many many tiny seeds. I have put them in a bowl inside to dry completely.

Anyone who has done this before, please speak up and let us know if I did it wrong or if I should do something in addition to what I've done. Inquiring minds want to know!

Tonya
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6621683

The problem I have with saving seed from moss rose is I watch for the bloom to dry but then it just seems to disappear. I'm not sure at which stage I should be trying to collect the seed.

I have one that came up volunteer that is a beautiful coral color and I would love to have more.

DNP
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6621812

I have collected the seeds on some after the flower dried and fell off. They are located in the little round knobby thing that is left after the bloom falls off. I have not tried panting any of mine yet so I am not sure of the viability of the seeds, but they fall right out of that little capsule so they look ripe. Have you seen those little capsules that I am describing? Sorry, I don't know that actual names of all parts of the plant.

Tonya
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6622604

Your description makes perfect sense to me. I think I need to check mine more frequently because it seems that "little knobby thing" disintegrates or disappears very quickly and that's why I'm not finding seed.
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6626142

I bet that is it. If you see a cup there instead of the knobby thing, it has already dispersed it's seeds.
Polyacre
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6646083

Go to this website... Lots of information and every kind of seed ID you could ever want..

http://theseedsite.co.uk/db18.html
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6646963

I had forgotten about that site, thanks. It's on my faves now!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America