-
AuthorContent
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6617814

Purchased this lotus about a month ago. I don't recall the exact species, but recall the tag (which I usually save) had a picture of a light pink bloom. This picture shows it the first week it was placed in my pond. After about two weeks, it started to deteriorate. I called the nursery I bought it from, and they suggested fertilizer, which I did. After that, it began to deteriorate more rapidly. It's current state is reflected in the second picture I'll post. Any ideas as to what is wrong with it? As instructed by the nursery, I placed it in the same container I bought it directly in my pond, where it gets 7+ hours of direct sunlight. There are 2 small goldfish in the pond, and occasionally one of the bullfrogs comes over for a visit (as seen in the first picture). Hubby thinks maybe the fish ate the leaves and gnawed on the roots. :(

I did call the nursery this morning, and they said I could bring it back for them to look it over, and if it's not able to be saved or I'm unhappy, they will replace it. But I thought I'd post on here as well to get some other feedback from lotus owners.

Thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6617816

And here it is today ... a month later.

Thumbnail by jlj072174

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6618816

Well, I took the sickly lotus back to the nursery for a diagnosis. They weren't sure what was wrong with it, but cheerfully exchanged it with a new (and more expensive) one, interestingly enough. I'm now the proud owner of a Mrs. P.D. Slocum lotus, and she's in her new home in the full sun, just eating it up. I didn't put her in the pond this time; rather, an old copper colored beverage container that I had hanging on the side of my barn. I plopped her in the container inside the container she came in, and it was a perfect fit.

Thumbnail by jlj072174

rickinla
Theodore, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6618961

It looks like something ate the leaves which will drown the tuber if they're broken off below the water line. I drown 2 in my natural pond before giving 1 a wire cage for protection against the ducks and turtles.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6618973

Hubby thought it might be the fish nipping at them as well, but the nursery said koi, maybe, but not goldfish (which is all we have in the pond it was in). Hopefully, the new one will do better in its new home. The most it might have is a visit by the frogs on occasion to eat the mosquitos since the water is still.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6619027

For mosquito control get Mosquito dunks. They're harmless to plants and animals but the Bt in the dunks kills the mosquito larvae. I've got koi who tear plants apart. It didn't look to me like you had koi damage but maybe tuber rot. It happens sometimes.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6620275

ok so do hardy lilies die also if you break one off below the water line, or is that just lotus?

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6621774

Just Lotus.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 361 Jun 7, 2014 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America