Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: Newbie here i have questions

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6619657

I had seen this forum before and looked but moved on to photos LOL

But today i stopped in and saw all the wonderful straw gardens and thought "duh" why not try it.

Okay i have access to at least 4 kinds of hay which is best Rye, Timothy, Bermuda, Alfalfa ?
We are fixin to go into the sweltering heat of (dry) summer so for a fall garden when would i start the breaking down process?
Can i use organic fertilizer to break it down?
I have access to rabbit manure can i add that to the bales?

Does lettuce and other greens grow well in these bales?
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

June 1, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6626823

No experience with hay/grass bales, but everyone who's used them have been very pleased.

With the hot weather, I'd just keep the bales wet and forego the added nitrogen since hay/grass bales are already pre-loaded with their natural nitrogen.

My neighbors grew some great looking lettuce and greens.

Get going!!!!!! :-)
green_green
Terrebonne, OR

June 2, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6629245

Lettuce/mixed greens/chard grows well. I have 6 bales of greens planted from seed! Spread the seed , add some peat moss to help retain the moisture. Seeds emerged after a few days.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America