Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Plants safe for chickens???

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 7, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6621352

I want to plant some things for my girls to nibble on, lay under, etc in their pen. They don't get to get out too often because of dogs. The list of no no's is pretty extensive. Any suggestions? Also looking for shade tree suggestions for just outside...or should we just cover the pen with some sort of roof? The pen is 16x20 and I have 4 girls.

Catscan
Lodi
United States

May 31, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6621797

The lists are long, ascholz, but sometimes not too accurate (my chickens have been roosting in a wisteria arbour for two years and have removed every new leaf each spring and are fine, although everyone lists wisteria as poisonous to them). The wisteria does look a bit stressed. They also love oxalis--again listed as poisonous.

I think, on the whole, they stay away from truly poisonous plants and can tolerate some as long as they are not forced to eat them exclusively. So you wouldn't want to pen them up with potentially toxic plants--but if they are just free-ranging a bit in the yard--they will probably be fine.

There are some plants, like Oleander, that are extremely toxic to almost every living thing, and I would concentrate on keeping them away from that sort of plant. I wish someone would make a more realistic list of toxic plants
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6622573

I ordered some of this to plant for my chicken yard..
http://www.groworganic.com/item_SPI800_Omega3_Chicken_Forage_Blend_Irri.html?welcome=T&theses=4850562
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6625760

Thanks Cat and ZZ! I ordered some of the chicken forage.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

June 1, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6625974

I also ordered some of this chicken forage. I have only four hens. I was going to put a row of sod for them to walk around on. I also heard that if your hens eat marigolds, their egg yokes will be a nicer yellow. Is that true?
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6627493

Foxglove is also listed as poisonous and we have had chickens mow it to the ground and not a problem one, so who knows?
Elleisn
Denver, CO

June 2, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #6630197

I ordered some of the chicken forage too. Now if it just stops raining long enough so we can pull our weeds, and plant it, that will be great. I'm just worried that when we finally get out of the cool rainy weather, it will turn 90 and dry every day and cook everything.
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6630565

Images: I've not heard of that but I'm willing to try! At least it would add some color to their pen.

Elleisn: Thats exactly what happened here; it rained for three weeks straight then into the high 80's and dry! I've been watering like crazy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America