AuthorContent
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6623083

I wanted new kitchen counter tops. Hubby said "No, they are too expensive"
He suggested painting them. So I did. I was a bit scared to do it, but figured if I messed it up too bad he would have to buy me new countertops.
Here is my before picture.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6623092

Here is my after picture. I think they turned out rather well. I'm going to be doing the same thing to both of my bathroom countertops. Anyone else ever do this? Would love to see some pics.

GayLynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom

staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6623095

Here is a close up picture of the painting.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6627586

Here is a pic of the end results and the tape removed.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6635038

Wow, you did such a good job...looks like granite to me!!
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6635662

Thanks!
GoldLeaf91011
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6673588

How did you do that? How did you get them so shiny? I didn't think they looked bad at all before but the after turned out fantastic. I have never heard of doing this before.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6674108

Thanks GoldLeaf91011
After painting them I put on 5 coats of Polyacrylic.
I got the information on how to do it at this website http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html
When you get to the website just keep scrolling down. Lots of "how to" info and lots of pictures. It took a week for the polyacrylic to totally cure but now absolutely no problems. Just can't set hot pots directly on them or cut on them... use hot pads and cutting boards.
GoldLeaf91011
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6674319

Very interesting. I will study the link you provided. It's a big job but yours turned out beautifully. Thanks.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6674937

Thanks again.
Lots of steps to it, but not hard to do.
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6675951

Has anyone put granite12 x12 tiles on the laminate countertops? Or just granite on plywood? My daughter had it installed in her kitchen and it's beautiful. And I imagine a lot cheaper than solid granite. If anyone has tried it, let me know how hard it is to do. Thanks, Laverne
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6698890

GayLinn, You did a fabulous job. How much time do you have into this? You should be very proud of that counter top!
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6702859

anastatia, Thanks so much, I appreciate that. It took several days. Most of the time spent was waiting for the paint and the polycrylic to dry. The actual painting itself went very fast.
GayLynn
janelcd
Stoney Creek, ON
Canada

June 19, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6709612

GayLynn:

Beautiful job!
What product did you use to get this affect? Was it a paint on or spray on? I have a bathroom counter that I'd love to have look as professional as yours.
Jane
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6710238

Jane,
Thanks for the compliment. I used 5 different colors of semi gloss latex paint. For the veining I used watered down craft paint. Then I also added just a bit of gold metalic craft paint.

GayLynn
CaroH
Laval
Canada

June 19, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6711193

WOWZA!!!! great job, girl!!!
Thanks for the link, I will go on over and study it all...
We're renovating our kitchen in a thrifty way, so this would be cool. But I dunno!! Kinda scared!!
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6712275

Thanks CaroH. I was scared to do it too. Especially since my counters weren't in really bad shape. But hubby assured me that if it really didn't turn out that he would get me new counters. Felt really strange and scary when I first started painting them.
janelcd
Stoney Creek, ON
Canada

June 20, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6715840

"Felt really strange and scary" That's how I felt when I read your number of paints that you used. How did you get such a wonderfully finished counter? What colors and method did you use. I thought it was the spray on stone. I didn't realize you had gone to sooooooooo much effort.

Thanks, Jane
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6720632

I went to one of the home improvement stores and picked out a counter top sample chip then matched up the colors and sponged it on. You only need a very small amount of paint. I bought quart size cans of paint and only used about an inch of each color. Some colors I already had at home from painting other rooms. I think next time I may just buy sample jars of paint and that would be enough to do a small bathroom countertop. If you noticed on the site I provided, some people did use spray on paints. I really like that look too... depends on what kind of look you are going for.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6759758

I'm quite impressed. You did a very professional-looking job.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6759787

Thanks katie59! I suprised myself!
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

July 3, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6772326

Excellent job! When I read the first post, I kind of cringed at the thought, but you did amazing work and your countertops look great!

staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6772702

Thanks ooojen!! When hubby first said "paint them" I thought he was out of his mind. I pictured a dull, chipping mess. I'm really pleased with them and they are really tougher than I thought they would be. Had to let them cure for about a week and I babied them, but now I just treat them as normal and they are working great.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7404422

You could do that professionally. They turned out beautifully! How are they holding up? Are you limited as to what cleaners you can use on them?
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7406753

Thank you Gardenwife. I have had a couple of people ask me to do their counter tops. They are holding up very well. No chips, no scratches, no peeling of paint at all. I can't use abrasive cleaners or cleaners like 'Soft Scrub' but I do use any liquid cleaners and disinfectants on them.

GayLynn
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7407024

I just don't have the patience to do something like that. Plus, we are the House O'Hair because of three dogs and two long-haired cats. We redid our kitchen in 2004 and our countertops are formica in a black granite finish, so they're in great shape still. Maybe I can try the technique on a small project sometime, one I can do outside in our shed during the summer.
McBetsy
Trumansburg, NY

July 25, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7995074

Nice Job GayLynn!
Years ago, I found a link to instructions on how to do a thrifty counter-top makeover like this. We used black/grey/white combination and it took about a week to do each coat, sand down and recoat each layer, but it was worth it. It came out really great for a mobile-home counter top and it has lasted about 8 years. This was a huge improvement and much needed money saver since we just weren't financially able to seriously remodel our kitchen other than painting the cabinets and putting down a laminate floor. New counter-tops would have broken into our children's college funds back then!

I am grateful that we found that information and did them that way even though it inconvenienced our kitchen use for a week or so. There really aren't any chips in the counter at all at this point, just a small wear spot where everyone prepares their food on one small spot of the counter by the sink.

Thankfully, we have come to a place in our lives where a complete tear-down and rebuild of our kitchen with new everything is possible. (I thought we'd never get there!) This method helped us love our kitchen for a little while longer while we were waiting to get there.

You did a beautiful job on yours!
I have posted a pic of ours in this post.

McBetsy
http://www.mymobilehomemakeover.com

Thumbnail by McBetsy

Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2012
3:05 AM

Post #9069094

@ GayLinn ~ Great job on the countertops! I also thought they looked like granite. I've got countertops that I'm not crazy about either and at this point with my finances, I can't afford new ones to be installed either. When I'm working again, then I'll have it done. I've heard about a product called "Countertop Solutions" or maybe it's called "Countertop Restoration" ~ anyway, their method & directions are similar to what you did. I also have cats, so not sure if this method will work for me. Your way sounds fairly easy and you used 2 bottles of different craft paints too ~ wow ~ how creative. I also have some of those countertop chip samples too for later. I'll check out the link you posted. Maybe I might work up enough nerve to tackle the countertops after all. Thanks for sharing!

@ McBetsy ~ Yeah, I also live in a mobile home and am currently doing some renovations with it. It's funny how large the rooms all look while they're empty, but when you start getting stuff in them ~ they don't look so large anymore! Like I mentioned in my comment to GayLinn about her countertops, I'd also like to do something like that, but can't tackle that at this time. I'll check out your link you mentioned too. Maybe 'updating' the countertops will go onto my ever growing list of "things to do." Thanks to both of you!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2012
3:06 AM

Post #9069096

Oops! Sorry, I meant to write "GayLynn" ~ minor typo.
Evelyn_65
Hickam Housing, HI

October 16, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9687066

I am also planning to paint my kitchen counter tops. I have gone through the link you have provided. This seems helpful for me. Thanks for the suggestion and really your kitchen looks beautiful.
Jamesdavis
Agawam, MA

November 1, 2013
2:35 AM

Post #9699473

Reading all the content here making me also to change my kitchen counter. I think now I have got a nice ideas from here. Thank you all.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 6, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9722634

Staceysmom , It's been awhile and want to know if the paint is still holding up well .
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 25, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9734088

You did a good job!!!
Belle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 199 Sep 4, 2014 7:05 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America