Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cameras and Photography: walmart cameras

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 12, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6623632

I have been told that the cameras sold at walmart, even though they are the same brands that other higher end electronic stores carry, may have cheaper parts inside. They are made to look the same on the outside, but are made cheaper internally.
Does anyone know if that is true?
Is it safe to buy a camera at walmart? My other option is Radio Shack or Best Buy?
and what about pawn shops?
I have a camera, I am just wanting an extra for standby lol

comments?

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 6:38 PM
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6624105

I am not a camera expert but the story about WM does not ring true. A model number is a
model number no matter where you buy it, or that is the way it seems to me. There is a
difference in where it is made regardless of the make and model. Supposedly, a Canon
xxxx imported does not carry an american warranty. The american model does. Check
this out with a major vendor before you buy any expensive camera.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6624133

I doubt that rumor is true. I'd say it is safe to buy a camera there. The problem is you are wanting a faster camera which Walmart may not carry. Nothing wrong with looking though.

It sounds like you want to move up to a DSLR which can take several pictures in rapid succession without any (noticeable) delay.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6624550

ok lol but I want cheap, especially since it will be an extra camera and I really do already have one that works.
So the faster ones are how much $ ??

What would be a price range for something like that?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #6625333

There are entry DSLR cameras for a few hundred dollars. Canon and Nikon are the biggest sellers but Olympus, Pentax, and Sony are some other names to look at too. Entry level isn't much more (if anything it might be less) than a top of the line compact camera. Granted you won't have a lens that does it all on a DSLR (the reason for interchangeable lenses) but the speed and versatility are worth every penny.

When you buy a DSLR you are buying into a system of lenses and accessories so make sure you know which camera you want to start with. When you want to upgrade your camera body then the lenses and accessories can still be used if you stay with the same manufacturer.

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-buy-a-dslr-camera

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6639104

ok I bought a little Olympus camera and it takes XD memory.
I am wondering with a XD 1 card, how many pictures will it hold?
the XD2 card is quite a bit more money, so I thought if the 1 is big enough, I will just get that. The camera is an 8M.
I would like it to hold maybe 3 or 4 hundred pics, is that far fetched ? lol I do not know anything about what I am doing :)
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6641539

The camera display should show you how many shots it can hold (depends on size and quality you set in the camera) based on how much memory is left on the card. Also the owner's manual should give you a good idea on how many it can take.

I would think you should get over 200 shots on a 1 GB card in an 8 MP camera.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6641835

I have a 6 meg Fuji using the 1 meg XD card. It holds 341 pics at the high resolution. 600+ at
the medium resolution. 3 m versus 1.5 m file size.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6641914

ok I bought the SDHCmicro card because my camera came with a converter for that.

I got the 4 GB card.

I hope all that works!
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
10:19 AM

Post #6649121

I bought an Olympus SP-310 from Walmart three years ago. Two day sale. $40 off the best price anywhere else. Camera has been fine. Has two macro settings and is better on extreme close ups than a Panasonic I bought a couple months ago.

The XD card is 512 MB (they were even more expensive back then).

The card holds:

329 photos at 3072 x 2045

1030 photos at 1600 x 1200"

The Olympus is 7.1-megapixel. I assume more megapixels would mean fewer shots per card.

For the best deals on cameras, I would suggest monitoring this site:

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/

I picked up a Lumix FZ28 at B&H for $60 off the best price elsewhere and a Lumix FX500 at Amazon for $75 off the best price elsewhere thanks to alerts from 1001noisycameras.

A lot of very good deals only last one or two days. It pays to watch and wait. Both of the Lumix cameras are, 8 and 3 months later, still considerably more than I paid for them.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2009 6:21 AM
justaguy2
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2009
8:55 AM

Post #6809170

Walmart has become notorious for advertising 'look alike products' that cost less than competitors while not being the same. Often the differences are of no real consequence, some times they are.

WalMart has done this with a lot of stuff in their electronics department. The popular video game 'Guitar Hero' is just one example. A new version came out and was bundled with a wireless guitar. Walmart sold what appeared to be the exact same thing for less than anyone else, but was bundled with the previous generations wired guitar. Nothing on the box drew attention to this fact. Most purchasers were clueless parents trying to get their kids what they wanted for Christmas without breaking the bank.

In other words, yes, Walmart does intentionally market look alike products for less that aren't really the same as what everyone else is selling.

The moral? When thinking of spending a significant amount of money on something, don't consider Wal-Mart an option. If they have the lowest price, it's often because they aren't selling the same thing as everyone else.

'
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6809361

If Walmart has the Nikon, Olympus, Canon or whatever name on it, that is what it is. Looking at the assortment now. There is a Nikon D7000 for $2500--more than some places but $200 less than the two best known camera dealers. You can bet that isn't a fake. Same with the Nikon Walmart carries for $120.

Walmart does seem to specialize in under $200 cameras .
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2009
6:30 AM

Post #6845175

Not many serious camera buyers purchase at Wal-Mart. They are wise to carry relatively inexpensive cameras. They are there to sell things, not have them sit on the shelf because Wal-Mart shoppers tend to purchase lower end models of all electronic equipment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America