Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Do you subscribe to the weekly DG newsletter?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 52, Views: 712
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

June 1, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #6625321

There are a total of 388 votes:

Yes, I anxiously await it every Monday morning.
(117 votes, 30%)
Red dot

Yes, but I sometimes do not have time to read it.
(192 votes, 49%)
Red dot

No, I do not subscribe to the newsletter. (Why?)
(38 votes, 9%)
Red dot

There is a newsletter? (How do I sign up?)
(41 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #6625338

I had no idea there was a news letter
laurawege
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
10:05 AM

Post #6625350

Yes, I get the newsletter and I enjoy skimming through it.

I learn things about gardening that I wouldn't have known about on my own.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6625587

I don't read it because Dave's is usually my first stop to read every morning anyway.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6625624

i received it for a while but i only have so much time in the day and i found i wasn't reading it. i'm either on dg or in the garden...or going through the motions of a "real" life outside of gardening! lol

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6625676

You can easily subscribe to the newsletter.

1) Click the My Info tab at the top of the page.
2) Select the Manage your preferences link.
3) You'll see the Newsletter option in the column at the side of the page.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6625795

I receive the newsletter, but don't always read it, since I'm here most of my free time, anyway!

Most of the info is "old stuff" (since I've already viewed it), by the time I get the newsletter.

I do, however, think it's a great resource for those members who don't have the opportunity to spend much time on DG.

Sasha
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6625879

I subscribe to it but as time is a factor I can't always read it. I do eventually read it all when I get on Dg and then I remember seeing things on the news letter and then I will read. Mostly late at night.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6626516

Sometimes I get to read it, and when I do - sometimes it's pertinent, and sometimes not (different zones in Canada, and a lot of it is for US zones...)
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6626714

I'm subscribed to the newsletter and absolutely love it, but since the week I changed my email address, I have not received it.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6626737

I enjoy the weekly newsletter! I do spend a lot of time browsing forums on DG, but it's still nice to get the newsletter every Monday morning when I open e-mail. Only thing missing from the newsletter is a crossword puzzle, LOL! :-) Every morning I read our local newspaper while having my coffee and then I do the crossword puzzles before starting the day!

hmm .. a crossword puzzle pertaining to plants, flowers and trees sounds like it might be fun!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6626758

Hmm...crossword puzzle? That might be fun...I'll see if we can do something about that. Anyone else interested in such a feature, ...if we can pull it off?

Candyce, you have mail. We'll get you back on the list.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6627337

In enjoy the newsletter, too. Sometimes I'm reminded of an article I wanted to read, but missed, or I see a photo I want to check out on PlantFiles. Oh, and of course I ALWAYS want to know how many postings we had the previous week on the Ceramics & Pottery forum!!
rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT
(Zone 3a)

June 1, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6627340

It is fun to see what is posted and learn about new plants or new tips for plants animals etc. You never know what might be in it each week and have enjoyed and klearned from many of the articles.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6627358

I usually just skim the newsletter, since one of the first places I go in the morning is to DG; but I look to see if there's an article I've missed, or check out the featured plant. I love the idea of a crossword puzzle, but I know they're a lot of work to put together. Maybe we could have one at the beginning of each month?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6627359

A bit of DG trivia for those who weren't around.

In the 'prehistoric' version of the newsletter, the most sought after statistic was how many members had signed up. Sometimes we had as many as 5 new members in a whole week! (cause for celebration) Of course we counted down to the 500th member and the 1000th member with great anticipation and interest as well. (Dave even gave us a fireworks show for the 1000th member.)

This was early 2001.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6627367

Nope. I generally prefer to go find the information I want when I need it.
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6627593

I really enjoy the newsletter. Wish I was with DG from 2001.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6627620

Neat on the fireworks... I missed them. :(

Yes on the crossword puzzle. I go to Jigzone.com and do a puzzle every day, and I'd love to see one here at DG.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6627669

Gee, I didn't know the newsletter had been around that long! I joined in 2005 and I don't think I started getting the newsletter till a couple of years ago. Huh, must have missed a box to check or something. :-)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6627691

The newsletter in its present form has only been around a few years. The 'prehistoric' one was simply a list of statistics and a gardening quote or two. No nice images or articles.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6627839

I don't have time to read every article. I scan through it and manage to read one or two of the articles, but I do save each newsletter. All the articles I've read are wonderful and informative articles!
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6627968

Like some of the others have said, I have usually already read the articles throught the previous week, but it's still nice to see them again and open one if, for some reason, I hadn't had a chance to read that article already.

It's kind of a nice way for me to ease back into the work week . . .

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 2, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6628389

ah - Jigsaw puzzles would be nice. I like crossword puzzles all right, but would really enjoy jigsaw puzzles.

-Susan-
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6628409

I wonder what # I signed at?
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6628718

I looked at the newsletter a lot more when I had first subscribed as it helped me find my way around, actually, but these days though I still have the subscription active I almost never look at it. Found what I wanted I reckon. ;-)
valrita

June 2, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6629542

I get the newsletter but usually don't read it. I just skim down through the articles to see if there's any that I missed that I want to read. I don't think I've ever read the whole newsletter. Only bits and pieces sometimes.

I like the idea of a crossword. That's something that I'd definitely look forward to getting.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6630822

I got the newsletter when it first started. Lots of stats, didn't find much of interest. I usually just deleted it without looking, so eventually unsubscribed.

Maybe a word search, to alternate with the jigsaw puzzle!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6631246

I like the of the crossword puzzle..and also the word search..like momcat said!
I always skim the newsletter when it comes...sometimes read more than others.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6631656

I read it to make sure that the Northeast Forum is still #1 in posts. Woo hoo!!!!
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6631673

Hee hee. I check that too.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6631865

I read it to follow one writer's work. Only occasional articles really grab my attention from the others.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6632021

This is an interesting poll.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6632525

I read it to check any articles I may have missed during the week.. I usually have read them all but you never know.. I also enjoy the stats.. fun info.

Edited to say.. I never realized it came out on monday morning... just noticed it was in my e-mail occasionally. LOL Shows how observant I am.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2009 4:23 PM
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6633825

Discovery and improved interests come from reading and chatting on a site like this. You and I may not like pineapple but eat and just love peaches. Then one day a pineapple use will be so good you need to learn how it was grown or cooked. That is basically how most things are learned. Our articles have great width with enough teasing information to encourage us to try that which to date we may not have had interest in.
rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6633880

I agree. Not all the articles may interest me, but some I did not think much about peak my interest when I see it there and I read on and have learned quite a bit from them and have used some of the advice I never would have gotten otherwise.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6636800

I really appreciate the Newsletter in the summer when I don't have time to read all the articles everyday. I can catch up in the Newsletter. As a Forum Floozy I always check to see what Forum has the most posts just in case I might have missed something exciting. Dear flowerjen do you think you might be just a teensy, weensy competative? :-)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6636876

Who me???? nahhhhh... lol
skiekitty
Parker, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6639464

I love getting the newsletter as I'm usually stuck at work and it's my escape to one of my passions: gardening! However, I truly wish that it showed more plants (especially the Bloom of the Day) for more .. temperate? zones. Usually every single drop-dead gorgeous plant that is shown is almost ALWAYS a zone 8-11.. you know, there's more to the world than the equator! Some of us poor schmucks that live in "colder" zones love plants too! (and I find it incredibly unfair that most of Washington state all the way up into Canada and on the eastern seaboard is classified as a "warmer" zone than poor pathetic me, in the Denver CO metro! *sigh* I hate being a zone 4-5 :( :( :( Especially when one of my co-workers, who lives, as the crow flies, about 12 miles north is a zone 6! We have winter here for only about.. oh.. 2 months, and, of that, only a few days are bitterly (-10 to -20) cold. Yet, that's enough to wipe out most cool plants. :( )

I love reading all the articles.. I have just SOOO much to learn!

This message was edited Jun 3, 2009 9:49 PM

Thumbnail by skiekitty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6640259

Have you read this one? I think it was before you were a member...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/486/
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 4, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6640958

Are you calling me a schmuck skiekitty? :O LOL totally just kiddin :-) I really appreciate that alot of writers chose subject and plant matter for their articles that is applicable for the cooler climate gardeners. Susanne and Todd, for example, (who I think could be classed as borderline schmucks tee hee) often feature wonderfully hardy plants in their articles with fabby photos that sure help me alot. I'm not sure how the photos of the day of selected. Melody??? I do see alot that are hardy in the lower zones and I like droooooling over the luvlies from the higher zones. I think there is a good mix for all members.
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6641996

Never signed up for it --- don't have time to read it, so what would be the point?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6642403

I enjoy it because it brings to my attention some articles I missed, and I love the Blooms of the Day, since that's not an area I normally visit on DG. I also like seeing how our membership is growing. I think we oughta have a party when we hit half a million!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6642452

We have a great number of members who only participate by getting the newsletter. We send out nearly 70,000 copies each week. The newsletter is their window into DG. Those of us who are here each and every day don't miss much, but for many, DG is a once a week email. Many folks are not interested in participating in the community, but still enjoy the information in the newsletter.

If for some reason the newsletter does not get delivered, we hear howls of dismay from every corner of the world (literally)

Anyone can nominate a PlantFiles image for the Bloom of the Day. We would love to have some suggestions from you.

Whenever you visit the PlantFiles and see an especially stunning image, there is a link right there to nominate it for consideration. Dave will take a look and put it in the line up. Please do make sure that the images are extraordinary. Sometimes it is the first impression that a visitor gets from us.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6642480

Thanks, Melody, I didn't know how that worked!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 4, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6642592

I so didn't know that's how it worked either. I will definitely nominate some that I've been particularly impressed with.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6646746

Yes, I do even saving some that may concern my garden
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2009
6:20 AM

Post #6648949

Yes, I just recently re-subscribed to the newsletter, so that I could get reacquainted with DG after being away for a few years.

Back then, I hardly ever looked at the newsletter. Now, I forward the newsletter to my work email address. There's always something in the newsletter that I missed reading during the week, and it's a great way to escape from my bookkeeping work for 5 minutes, several times a week, without having to leave my desk. I especially enjoy plant of the week, and bloom of the day, because I usually forget to check those when browsing DG in the evenings.

I agree with momcat, tallulah, and some of the others...that a puzzle of some kind, be it a crossword, jigsaw, or word search, would be fun, especially if it's gardening themed!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6669792

Yes
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 20, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8109450

Does anyone know how one can save the Weekly Newsletter to ones computer 'favourites'? Or is there a Weekly Newsletter thread where one can access past newsletters? Thanks.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8109501

Here's the Newsletter Archive: http://davesgarden.com/weekly.php

Just save the link in your favorites and you'll have access to all of them at any time.
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 21, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #8111301

Thank you very much for the Newsletter Archive Melody. Much appreciated.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #8111731

You're quite welcome!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America