Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 130, Views: 928
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #6625322

Everyone is welcome to join in the conversation!

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991994/

Celia - LOL at Isis! Sweet picture of Monty! Callie purrs really loud too.
Kelli - 10% tax? Wow!!
Pepper - Cute squirrel!

72.9 F
Clear
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 66 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in(Rising)
Heat Index: 73 F
Visibility: 5.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Sunny. High 90. Southeast winds 5 mph becoming east 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

It's gonna be a scorcher today...

This message was edited Jun 1, 2009 5:54 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 1, 2009
10:59 AM

Post #6625431

Lovely day today.58 Sunny.
" of rain last evening. Not much, but a start. It is a little on the dry side here.
Installing the base cabinets of a kitchen job today. Maple & turned out beautiful.

Bernie
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6625476

We missed a frost by just a smidge, clear and brisk now, but due to cloud up and rain for later. We actually could use a break - haying is in progress and we need a bit more sun.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #6625536

The "official" rainfall for May was 13". Temps and measurements are always taken at the airport, so for me it's not accurate. I measured 16" in my backyard, St. Augustine received 18", Daytona got 22". Currently we are 10" above normal - which is awesome. Pulled us out of drought mode. We'll (no doubt) be back in drought mode soon.

Bernie - You'll have to post a picture of the new kitchen. I enjoy viewing your work.

Welcome Kathleen! Wow - frost? Have you received a lot of rain recently?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 1, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6625738

There was frost in Northern MN on Saturday morning. One report was 24.
That's why most people only go there in the summer for vacation.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6625816

Frost! WOW!
Looking forward to the finished Cab shots Bernie.

Ceila I love the Sheep Shots!

Mid 80's and Sunny today is the call.
Hosta damage was extensive. The rest of the plants will heal quickly.

Here's our new 'Desk'.
I picked it up at Building Values when we were there looking for Cabs for the Parent Remodel.
20 Bucks, Powdercoated Steel (which will be painted).
The tape is from the original owner...lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6625852

The new desk.
Still have a few improvements to make.
Painting, electric hookup, clad the wall... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6625939

56F under partly sunny skies this morning with a chance of rain this afternoon. Yesterday was a perfect day for outside work.. High in the 60's, low humidity, plenty of sunshine and a nice breeze. High of 72F expected today--the last time we'll hit the 70's until Friday. I was watching the Weather Channel last evening and they showed photos of snow in upstate NY.

Joey...The crappie fishing has been phenomenal here this spring. The bigger ones are in the 16" to 17" range which is pretty good for a crappie.

Bernie...I ran some straw through my chipper/shredder and mulched my strawberries and was wondering if straw is a suitable mulch for tomatoes?

Here's another garden tour "Tea House" photo.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6626572

70.6 F with 81 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy but not right now. It's sunny and pretty. Thunderstorms again this afternoon.
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Glad you liked the sheep pics.

Black Lace Elderberry.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6626686

Thanks for new thread, MySharona. Your plants/flowers are beautiful; first of June and 90*s- how much hotter will it be? Glad the drought is over, for now.
Welcome, Kathleen. Hope the weather holds for haying.

Sunrise:4:27 AM AKDT
Sunset: 11:22 PM AKDT
Civil Twilight 2:28 AM AKDT --1:29 AM AKDT
23h00m visible light.
47* with highs to 60*.
ric~nice find~
CG~sounds good to have a way out of the heat.
kwanjin~beautiful elderberry; the color is gorgeous.
E_B~wonderful setting/sitting area.
hi to all I've missed-have a great day.
A week ago - Portage Valley greens up.

Thumbnail by kiska

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 1, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6626697

We used straw on Strawberries. I the only problem was the straw was full of wheat seed. I pulled wheat for a couple years.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6627536

Very cloudy today, at noon it looked more like 8:30AM. Cloudiness in June is very common. Outside of maybe some Februaries in El Nino years, June is probably the cloudiest month.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 01, 2009
66 F
Haze
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.92 in (Falling)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 1700 ft
(Above Ground Level)

We went hiking this morning and didn't see any flowers that I haven't shown you already recently but you might like this dewy rose snapdragon. I saw more rose snapdragons at this particular park today than everywhere else for the whole rest of my life combined. Rose snapdragons are fire followers and this place burned about three years ago. I know that I'm always saying that such and such a place burned x years ago. Does that come across as strange to you? I think my old PA self would have thought that such a place must be a wild and dangerous land.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6627549

The critter in the middle is a coyote. There must be a lot of coyotes around here. We see their "poo" all of the time, even in our back yard, though we rarely see the animals.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6627569

Kelli, not any stranger than me saying we got more than 25 feet of snow this year. It's all about your perspective.

We live in a semi temperate rain forest it seems. We are not quite as soggy as the NW, but close. I think there are only three places in the country that see less sun than we do.

It turned out that the RAIN predicted was rain, or a little less, barely set the dust. It did manage to put haying back on hold. The only good thing is that we are chopping right now, rather than making dry hay, so the moisture content isn't quite so critical. The difficulty is that the maturity is starting to rush us, better cut a little young.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6627576

CG~sounds like a good use of the straw, despite the problems.
kelli~the rose snapdragon is gorgeous; the water droplets are fantastic. Cool coyote pic, too.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6627583

sorry; crossed, Kathleen. Very interesting to learn of all the rainfall there.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6627584

Kathleen, I grew up in one of those kinds of places. SW PA is one of the cloudiest places in the U.S. - equal with Seattle.

Thanks, Kiska.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6627608

Kathleen, I looked up where Panama, NY is. I know your climate a little. My family had a cabin in Warren County, PA. Up until the mid 1980s, it would rain every time we went up there. We called the place "camp", so we had a saying "camp is damp". It really was. Even when we went up in the summer, we still made a fire in the furnace, if nothing else, to dry our shoes. I'll bet you know exactly where I am coming from.

Old picture circa 1980 - I think it rained the day before and turned to snow overnight.

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6627898

E_B Now that is a spot where I could spend a whole day!
Celia The BLE is very pretty!
Kiska - Well stay in the upper 80s mid 90s through June. Then way up to the upper 90s to possibly a couple of days in the low 100s July and August. Too hot for my taste. I felt cooler just looking at your picture!
Kelli Snaps are one of my favs and those are pretty! Im used to hearing you say a place burned so many years ago so I dont find it strange. Whats interesting is you remember which area actually burned. Nor as interesting as me saying we received 16 of rain during a mini tropical storm a wee ago LOL! Wow a coyotedont see any of them here.
Kathleen youll have to post some pictures of your area. It sounds really pretty!
Kelli What a cool place! I bet you enjoyed going there regardless of the weather.

81.5 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 62 F
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 83 F
Clouds: Few 6500 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Becoming mostly clear. Areas of fog after midnight. Low 68. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

WX has been saying lows in the uppser 60's for a week now, but every morning when I check it's already in the 70's. Hmmm.

basil

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6627914

Camp was my favorite place, back in the day, when I was a kid and didn't have the freedoms of an adult and all.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6628363

Sunny today, breezy and about 56F ... very cool with the breeze. It's June so it must be officially summer now :-) Not hot or humid though ;-) Heard at least two lawn mowers today ... and it's time to get the annuals planted outside :-) Week and a half left of school, I'm soooooo ready for it to be over so we can start sleeping later in the mornings! lol

Kelli - LOVE the dewy rose snapdragon! Gorgeous! Cool cayote photo too - and "camp" looks like a wonderful place to stay ... too bad about all the rain though. I can identify with that ;-) lol Selma's class went on two bike trips last week - Thursday and Friday ... it rained both days ... was sunny rest of the week. It's been sunny today and sun forcasted tomorrow as well. Supposed to start raining on Wednesday ... when Selma's class will be hiking on Mt. Esja. How annoying is that?! lol

Kiska - Was that snow at a high elevation point?

EB - what a peaceful setting!

Sharon - mmmmmmm basil :-)

Hi Kathleen! Welcome!

We bought "cutie" the hamster a cage last week so he's officially moved in ... the girls picked it out for him ... they're all very happy with it! :-) Got him one of those balls to run around in as well .. too funny! lol

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6628800

Hot, sunny and windy. At least at work it was. At home, not so much but I live in a bowl and my job is perched on top of a high hill. It's like a windtunnel there sometimes.

Storms in northern MO tonight but none here. We might get some tomorrow. I need it. Have alot of new plants planted that need the moisture including another tomato I got today at work. Mountain Pride cultivar.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6628882

Rann that looks like Hamster Heaven!

e_b I could hang there all day.

Kelli we're not freaked about the fires.
Well at least I'm not. We're getting more and more of them here too.
Plus ice storms, tornados, hail... and the VERY occasional ground shake...lol!

Celia what a lively bloomscape!
As I said we didn't have much luck w/ that one but...

About 3/4 done w/ the new project.
Ric

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6628991

Welcome, Kathleen! I had no idea that New York was such a wet place. I can't even imagine what 25' of snow must be like.
Joey: gorgeous touch of pink on that peony!
Kelli: next to vacuum cleaners, I think dishwashers must be the best of all modern appliances. Oh, wait, I forgot about washers and dryers and self-cleaning ovens. It's just too hard to choose a "favorite". I like 'em all.! LOL Pretty rose snapdragon!
To those of you who have had frost recently--well, I can't imagine that, either, in Late May or June! However, when Buddy and I took a 3-week driving vacation in June, 2004, we went up Beartooth Mountain in Wyoming and there were folks up there skiiing--not water--but snow! Of course the elevation was 12,000+ feet! Here where I live the elevation is 300 ft. above sea level.
Ric, so sorry about the hail damage to your hostas. Sure hope they recover! Nice desk! The initials on the tape said O.R. Did it come from a hospital?
EB: what a lovely place to sit and relax and have a glass of iced tea!
Celia: that has got to be Lamb Chop from the Shari Lewis show! Monty does not look thrilled with his new companion! LOL Lovely BLE!
Sharon: I've been meaning to ask you about Lady Margaret. Did she survive the move? The lantana will be very nice--looking forward to receiving it.
Rann: Our low tonight is supposed to be 67F. That would be a sweltering high temp for you! LOL The hamster has a really nice "house". I'm sure the girls are really enjoying him.
Kiska: I noticed your high temp was to be 60--that's a regular heat wave for you, too! LOL

Our current temp is 77 and it is now Dyson dark. I got the lawn mowed today. that chore is done for a few days. As badly as I hate to admit it after all the whining I have done because of our wetter than normal spring, we need a rain!! Things are starting to get dry around here.

DGS is spending the night with me again tonight. His 9th birthday is tomorrow. We are going shopping for a new electric scooter. The batteries for his old one cost almost as much as a new scooter and that doesn't include the wires on top that plug into the scooter. Does it make any sense that "they" would sell the batteries without the wires? Not to me, it doesn't!!

Here is a purple coneflower--hope I haven't posted this before.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6629205

Even if you did, Mau, it's still pretty. But I don't remember seeing it recently. (And that IS Lamb Chop! LOL)

Sorry to hear that, Ric. This is my 2nd year with it and I'm very pleased. So far. We'll see how it does in the heat of summer.

A pretty day. It's raining now. Lots of lightning and thunder. Wooo! What fun!

Have I showed you all my dancing bee?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #6629851

Rann - Love Cuties cage! Hamsters are fun to watch.
Pepper I hope you get that rain.
Mau- I didnt think Lady Margaret made it. I had almost given up hope, but then I started to see leaves. She is about 2 tall now with buds. I love coneflowers!
Celia bzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

73.6 F
Clear
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 68 F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 F
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. High 85. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

A cool front is moving through - it will be 85 for the rest of the week LOL! I hear the mosquito truck! YAY!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6630080

Good morning!

It's cloudy this morning, but dry, breezy and 57F ... that's normal summer temp. up here ;-) ...

Marsue - hope you get just enough rain to water the plants! lol Very pretty coneflower. I have some I grew from seed last year that I just planted out ... I don't think they'll manage to flower here ... they're barely out of the ground yet.

Celia - the black lace flowers are sooooo pretty :-) Mine is still not out of the ground ... it's in a deep shade, it might need more sun here to make up for the cool temps ...

Sharon - pretty bloom :-)

I have a busy day ahead ... I'm hosting our "sewing club" tonight ... that's what we call it but there's hardly ever any sewing or knitting done ... it's my old pharmacy class from University, we've kept in touch since graduation and meet about once a month. I think most women in this country are in at least one "sewing club" ... it's a good way to keep in touch with old school friends we'd otherwise never have time to get together. The "sewing" is just a cover nowadays, in most cases it's mostly about gossip and cakes ;-) lol

There are still a few daffs and tulips flowering now ... These are 'Avalon', I think they're such a cool color :-)

Have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6630558

73 and Sunny.

It's getting hard to wrap my brain around Tulips, Daffs and kiska's snow... LOL!
I agree Rann the is a very nice Daff!

Celia I love that Disco Bee!

Sharon is that a Port?

We are seeing Hummers now.
VERY early in the season for us.
Usually we don't see them until the Mimosa blooms.
Could be all the blooms here this year.
Our newest project is about completed.
Then it's RU potting...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 2, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6630846

43* Going to be a beautiful day w/highs to 60's and even, 70*.
Sunrise: 4:25
Sunset: 11:24pm
rann~finding the elevation of the snow pic, I'd taken at Portage Valley, online, the elevation is barely above sea level: 118Ft. (36m). The little hamster and the girls will have a great time - cute setup.
marsue~it's amazing, isn't it, from too much weather to too little rain in a seemingly short time.
ric~very pretty.
MySharona~thanks for the info as to hot, summer days in store there. Sounds great for all the outdoor activities.
Love the Dancing Bee, kwanjin.
hi Pepper~

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6630904

65.9 F with 79 for the high. More thunderstorms later today. Keeps the temps down and we love watching the lightning.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 29.96 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I've been hearing that the hummingbirds are early everywhere this year. Biologists don't know why.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6631102

Went on a little walk with my camera this morning.
72 Partly sunny.
Off to market later.

These are the Iris from last summer Iris Co-op.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6631108

This is the yard in front of the house.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6631116

Hardy Geraniums.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6631128

Flower bed in the "Door Yard".
This term is used here by the old timers. It is the area that the back door of the house, & all main doors of out buildings face.
"Cool"!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6631439

CG: Lovely irises and "Door Yard" garden Love that term, too! The oldtimers were right.
Celia: How about that dancing bee? LOL My hummers didn't seem to be early but the ones that are here now sure are hungry! They go through my sugar water in an amazingly short amount of time. I thought I only had one hummer but one hummer surely couldn't drink that much nectar so fast!
Rann: LOL at the "sewing club". I was going to ask you what you "sewed" but your "gossips and cakes" remark explained it! LOL Love the color of that daffodil!
Ric: nice flowers--have fun at the RU this week-end!

The Weather Channel says it currently is 86 but my thermometer on the back porch says 90.

It's my DGS' 9th birthday today. He had his party last Friday night but I ordered him a Razor Electric Scooter from the internet today. He should have it in about a week. It's what he wanted. He had one but the batteries would no longer re-charge and I could get him a brand new scooter for what the two new batteries plus the wires, etc. would cost!

This is Zachary in his "Emperor" pose. He says "Emperors don't smile". LOL He made the crown and glasses with his "Zoobs" kit.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 2, 2009 12:13 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6631451

I was outside early this morning (6 a.m.) with Friday. This was our sunrise.

Kiska, I noticed you are at about 20 hours of sunlight now.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6632020

I seem to go from one rainy day to the next. I did get my yard mowed and now I'm back to needing to mow again. Life is such a circle.

It's 60 with a cold east wind. Sure sign of rain to come. Yep, it's now raining.

Yesterday, around 5:30 am, we had thunder and lightning in the same breath. I jumped out of bed and checked all the neighbor's houses for fire and hoped someone was looking at mine. Across the street I saw rolling white smoke. The lightning hit my friends shed, which is very close to their house. Luckily we have a volunteer fire department and they put it out. It sure stinks. Their big riding mower is toast, as is all the Christmas decorations. It blew out their phone and computer, blew the irrigation meter box off the little playhouse close by, and most likely broke an irrigation pipe underground. I'm glad it didn't strike their house, or mine!

I'm behind again, but I read everything. Computer is so slow I can hardly open pictures.

Celia, got a big kick out of Monty and the sheep.

Early, I had to squint at all your beautiful pictures.

Kelli, same for your pretty flowers.

Pepper, what did your Dad say about the new rose? LOL!

Sundogs were colorful yesterday!

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6632222

Mau, is it the Rip-Stik from last year that does work anymore? Love the Emperor hat! LOL

Wow, BP! Pretty colorful!

Why is it that, if bindweed is so invasive, it can hide in plain site until I upload pics? Or is that WHY it can be so bad?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6633321

Beautiful day of traveling. Temps in the low 70's. Coming home we crossed a mountain and ran smack-dab into a tropical downpour - one of those 1/2 inch in 7 minute jobs. Drove through it for about 5 miles and entered the no-rain zone - heavy clouds and no rain. Neato! Boy I sure hated driving through that thunderstorm though.

Supposed to be a beautiful day tomorrow. Aren't we lucky?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6633481

Bindweed is a bear!
We have 30 or so different Morning Glories going also.
Right now the Bindweed is way bigger so easy to spot.
In a few weeks... lol!

Well the new project is 'just' about done.
Would be if at exactly 4 PM the skies hadn't opened up.
Pop up T-Storm knocked out our Sat and we had to reset it.
No other issues here at least.
The first bolt was so close I couldn't turn my head to it before the BOOM hit.
Then SPLAT again.
No need to water anyway... lol!

bp I'm glad no one was injured.
Those are pretty sun dogs!
A severe thunderstorm watch remains in effect until 1100 pm.
Looks like a line of showers is about an hour and a 1/2 out.
Temps will go from 86 today to 72 tomorrow.

Looks like Mom and Dad are doing training flights w/ the new youngster.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6633634

Hot and really muggy this morning but now that the rain and cold front has moved in it's in the low 60s and niiiiice.

I have bindweed everywhere here too. Plus a heart shaped leaved vine that I can't get rid of and clover and chickweed.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6633944

Pepper it sounds like Honeyvine Milkweed
http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=ipm1021-6

We finally gotten rid of most of it here.

Lots of lightning to the west now.
Maybe 15 minutes out and we'll have another SPLAT! LOL!

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
8:13 AM

Post #6634828

Good morning!

It's cloudy this morning but dry! Hopefully it'll stay that way so Selma's class won't have to hike on Mt. Esja in the rain :-) It'll be interesting to see how far up they'll manage to climb. Fairly calm and 55F. Good hiking weather.

The sewing club was fun as always, and two of my friends brought their knitting so it actually lived up to it's name :-)

Ric - pretty lilies - they bloom here in Augus ;-)

Mau - lol yeah, the term "sewing club" is old ... I bet there was a lot more sewing and knitting done back when they started whenever that was ;-)

Sally - sorry about your neighbor's shed ... that's pretty scary to have lightning hit so close to your house.

Here's a photo of Mt. Esja - taken in March 2007 - most of the snow has melted now and everything's turned green :-)

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #6634949

Rann - Ahh 57*! We enjoy a good gossip session once in a while here too!
Ric Yes, portaluca/moss rose. Apparently they self seed quite nicely. Beautiful lilies!
Kiska Nice to see you!
Celia/Ric I havent seen hummers here for a month
Bernie Thank you for the tour! Your gardens are very nice! I like the idea of the door yard.
Mau LOL at Zachary! Every Emperor must have a crown LOL! Pretty skies
Sally I love the pic of the sundog! Im so sorry to hear about the fire at your neighbors. Thank God they werent harmed and you.
Se_eds Glad you made it through the storm. I love to watch them, but hate driving through them.
Ric- Neat pic!

73.9 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 83%
Pressure: 30.03 in (Steady)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 83. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Zinnia

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6635305

We have lots of that honeyvine around here, too. Mostly in the undisturbed gravel at the side of the house.

I like the "sewing club" idea, Rann. LOL

Ric, I forgot to mention that I really like your new desk. Have you repainted it yet. After I showed that last pic, I went out and pulled the bindweed. This property had TONS of it when we got here. We've been able to get rid of lots but it still pops up. I pulled some parsley I saw in the shot, too. Been trying to rid myself of that for 2 years.

Love the zinnia, Sharon. No hummers? How sad...

53.9 F with 83 for the high and more thunderstorms. I could live the whole summer like this.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 46 F
Pressure: 30.02 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Sedum 'Fulda Glow' starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6635494

We 'seem' to be having good luck by just breaking the Bindweed.
Then every week or so break it again.
Eventually it dies. It's almost impossible to get the whole root out.
Eric, our neighbor, breaks it and dabs the cut w/ Roundup.
I'm not a Roundup fan but admit I have used it selectively on ocassion.

Rain was still going this morning.
We got a bunch!

Celia I like that Sedum. VERY colorful.
Haven't painted the desk yet.
We have another project going that should complete in a few hours.
Then the painting...maybe.
We'll have company this weekend so need to get some sprucing up done...
And RU Plants potted up.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6635537

I do that, too, Ric. Our problem is the neighbors let it grow.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6636181

BP: very pretty sundog pic! So sorry about your neighbor's shed but thank goodness it wasn't their house--or yours!
Celia: I'm not familiar with the name "bindweed". Is that it with the yellow flower? That flower looks like coreopsis to me but we do have a lot of weeds around here that have a yellow flower similar to that which comes up on a tall stalk from big, fat leaveson the ground. They are all over my front yard! I guess I'll have to resort to having a lawn service come and "do their thing" with the weeds because there is no way I could ever pull them all up by hand! About the "Rip-Stik"--I don't know how long Zach had the old scooter. His mother said the reason the batteries wore out so quickly is because Zach would plug them in every time he used the scooter even if it was only for a few minutes. Very pretty sedum!
Ric: when you get to be my age, Round-Up becomes your best friend when it comes to weeding! LOL I use it on the "garden path" which Buddy put in a couple of years ago as well as spraying it around the edge of the the moss-covered rocks with which Buddy lined all our flower beds. It's the only way I can keep the weeds and bermuda grass out of my flower beds. Are those hawks in your photo?
Rann: I hope Selma's class had a nice hike. Very pretty photo of Mt. Esja. Is that your town in the foreground?
Se-Eds: were you and your DH on vacation or just taking a day trip? Buddy and I drove up Beartooth Mountain in Montana in June 2004 in the middle of rain, sleet, and fog! Due to the fog, I couldn't see down the side of the mountain because heights make me nervous and Beartooth Mountain is 12000 plus feet at the summit! I didn't realize how high up we were! LOL
Sharon: very pretty zinnia. I had a zinnia plant last year but it didn't come back in the same place. However, I found a zinnia seedling the other day coming up in the flower bed about 20 feet away from the original plant! I guess the wind blew the seed over there.

We had a nice rainshower this morning but no thunder and ligtning, thank goodness. We needed the rain! Now I don't have to water the flowers. :o))
Today is to be cooler--"only" 81 for a high.
Yesterday I took Zachary and his big sister, Samantha, who is 15 1/2, to the city park. We went to Subway first, then to the park and afterwards to Tastee Freez for an ice cream sundae! We had a good time.
Here are Zach and Sam at Subway:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6636198

and here they are at the park

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 3, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6637039

Nice to read and see all the posts and photos; will be gone again for awhile as we get ready to go to Seward. Seward is a beautiful town; very nice to go down there for a few days.
24 hrs daylight now; love it.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6637648

Mau, that is coreopsis is the pic. The bindweed is the vining one across the bottom of the shot with heart shaped leaves. It's also called wild morning glory. It gets into EVERYTHING and chokes it.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6637666

We had some bindweed when we moved in here. I kept pulling it out and in about 4 years it was all gone. It can be gotten rid of, just don't let it go to seed.

Very strange weather today - about once every hour, it rains for about 20 seconds or so. There was even a clap of thunder.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on June 03, 2009
68 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 57 F
Wind: 9 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
Clouds: Overcast 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

the ever-popular rose snapdragon

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6637741

Wow, Kelli! I think we have our weather switched again! Now if we could just switch baseball teams...

I've gotten behind again, so I'm not going to comment on everybody's posts. I loved the emperor shot, though, Marilyn! LOLOL

Did Selma and her class have a good hike, Rann?

Charles is in Maine right now. He says they are working very hard, but are having a good time. They're re-roofing the cabin and re-tiling the bathroom, plus changing out the shower, and installing a new water heater under the cabin (taking out the one in the bedroom closet next to the bathroom), and re-wiring the cabin with floor outlets, and repairing the dock, and re-flooring the tool shop/original shack where the old washer leaked and broke through the floor (that is the original building, 70+ years old), and installing a new washer and dryer, and... All in one week, hopefully. So far everything is going as smoothly as can be expected - or at least all of the things that have gone wrong have been relatively minor. :-) There are 6 guys there, and they have the shower ripped out and the hot water uninstalled, so showers are not happening right now. I said "Ewww..." and he laughed. Men! LOL They can jump in the pond if they get too stinky, but that water is COLD!!!

Photos from the cabin: http://picasaweb.google.com/commerce.acct/RalocastleThePeklenkFamilyCabinOnMountDesertIslandMaine?feat=directlink

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CDT (30 min ago)
Temperature 81 F 27 C
Dew Point 66 F 19 C
Humidity 62%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.5 mb
Wind Speed 14 MPH 12 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150
Ceiling 6000 ft 1829 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 84 F 29 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Remarks Wind Shift at 20:26 GMT.
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C

Rest of today Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs around 90. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 3, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6637767

Hi, guys! I'm behind, just trying to catch up. Yesterday we had a big storm, with black clouds and powerful wind. It rained a lot, the power went off...grrr! I'm sending some pics I took when the storm was starting. This is where the black cloud came from.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 3, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6637797

Marylyn, we cross posted. I'll see your pics in the morning.
One more picture of the black cloud coming over our street...it was only 8:30 and still light outside...not anymore!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 3, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6637815

It started to rain and I took this last one from the terrace.
Guys, I guess you all missed my yesterday's article, I'll post the link.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 3, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6637837

Link to my article , I hope you like it :
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2486/
And a normal picture, first rippening strawberry in my garden, ever...yiippeeee!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6637843

Here we go, a blatant advertisement for my articles. there are several pictures of our farm and the area in the articles - some really don't have any relevance to this forum, but many do. I also took some yesterday afternoon and if I ever remember to bring the card up and download them, I will post them.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/by.php?user=Kathleen

It is presently 57 and cloudy. We are just north of the front that is sending rain through the mid-Atlantic states. We've had a few sprinkles, but not enough to notice. Stan mowed hay, hoping that the forecast for tomorrow is correct - partly sunny and dry with highs in the upper 60s to low 70s - hey, summer!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6637848

LOL Adina, here we are pushing our articles together!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6637910

Kathleen - Oh, o.k., you're the one who writes the poems! I like them.

Adina, BTW, I really liked the photos in your article yesterday. Whatever became of Queen Mary? Did the monarchy survive WWI?

Marylyn, I think I'll keep my baseball team, thank you. ;-) Your place in ME looks a lot like "camp" that I mentioned the other day. The building is different but it has the flavor. Camp is 62 years old, but it sounds like your place has more amenities.

We're having some more thunder. I haven't seen any lightning. I got chilly and had to put on long pants.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6638295

Yes, Adina, I read your article yesterday. Very interesting. Amazing what was accomplished at the beginning of the 1900's.
I read every article when I see you gals names as author. You are all very good at it. Thanks for the informative subjects.

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6638679

Adina I apologize I did miss the Article.
I'll be hopping over to read it and Kathleen's here shortly.

Kelli I'd swear those are Foxglove in the Thumbnail.
A shame those won't grow here. It lovely!

Marylyn I thought the cabin was down there!
That's a HAUL!
Lovely place!

Great snaps Mau!

It never stopped raining last night.
What was supposed to be a quick in and out T-Storm was 2 hours of light show.
Then a nice soaking drizzle.
COOL this morning and got cooler all day.
Threatened rain but we never saw more than a sprinkle.

You may remember me posting a shot of our rolling planters shortly after we moved them.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6607112
That area was our old shed/dog run/ junk area until just a few years ago.
We'll here's what we've been working toward.
Still has a bit of tweaking so I'll just post a teaser.

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6638724

I went outside around 11 pm tonight ... still bright as day, cloudy and perfectly calm. Just magical, wished I could stay ouside all night. Like Kiska it doesn't get dark anymore, it's 1 am, a bit dusky but still fairly bright. I just love this time of year. Just wish I could get by with less sleep during the summer, it's so short I always feel I need to cherish every moment of it ... well at least the few moments when the weather's decent ... ;-) lol The girls have been complaining about going to sleep as well because of the bright daylight at 10 pm ... after 9 months of waiting for winter to be over ... summer is finally here :-)

Have a good night all :-)

Rann
petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6638993

Ric

Your old dog room is really neat.

How do you keep it all watered? Tho, you would have much more rain than we do out here on the edge of the Great Plains Desert.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
9:31 AM

Post #6639869

Good morning!

Cloudy, very slight breeze and 56F this morning.

Selma's class had a great hike (thanks for asking!), she made it as far up as they were allowed to go, the last part is a bit too risky for kids her age ... 600 m up (about 1970 feet), the mountain is about 900 m (about 3000 ft) Needless to say they were VERY tired when they got back! lol

Today and tomorrow they'll be filming for a documentary about schools around the world. The 5th grade classes (2 classes) in Selma's school were picked to represent Iceland ... needless to say they're very excited about that! Today they'll be filming at a lake outside of town, tomorrow I think they'll be filming at the school.

On Tuesday I got a call from Hildur Eva's preschool announcing that one of her "class mates" passed away that morning from leukemia ... it was quite a shock, I didn't know he was so seriously ill. They invited the parents to attend a small memorial service with the kids and the priest of the local church came and told the kids what had happened and talked a bit about death. It was very difficult to keep it together during the service to be honest, just seems so horribly unfair ... His best friend burst into tears, just broke my heart. Hildur Eva's hasn't cried (although she said she almost did) ... she doesn't like to show her emotions so she'll be working through this in her own time. She's been wondering about death and heaven and why he had to die of course ... I'm sure it'll take a while for it all to come out. My heart goes out to his family, I just can't imagine the pain they're going through.

Ric - looks great!

Adina - I read your article, sorry I meant to comment on it but forgot ... very interesting, sounds and looks like a wonderful place to visit :-)

Kathleen - your articles are wonderful as well, haven't read them all, but really enjoyed the ones I did :-) Looks like a lovely place you have. Never realised cows could be such caracters! lol

Mau - the "town" in the foreground of the Mt. Esja photo is actually Reykjavk (our capital) lol By international standards it is the size of a small town, but here it's the only "city" in the country. Hafnarfjordur is quite a bit smaller (pop. around 23.000), although it's the 3rd larges town in the country. Looks like you had a great time with your grandkids :-)

Marylyn - sounds like your DH will have plenty to do this week! lol

Darwin Tulips 'Daydream' ... They started out yellow and then gradually turned orange.

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2009
10:08 AM

Post #6639896

Celia We had hummers early in the spring, but I havent seen them lately. I know they have to find us and once they do they come back every year. This house was vacant for a year. It took a couple of years at the old house for them to become regulars.
Mau Cute pics of Zach and Sam!
Kiska- Have fun!
Kelli You had rain! YAY! Every little bit helps.
Marylyn Only men could have fun without showers LOL! Ill check out the pics in a ittle bit. Does the water get warm in Maine (like it does here)?
Adina Thats a very dark cloud. Was it a volatile storm? Yay on the strawberry! Ill check out your article in a little bit too.
Kathleen Ill check yours out too! LOL! I would love to feel a cool 57* again!
Ric Lookin good!
Rann- Happy Summer! That is a long hike for children. Ill bet she slept good LOL! Awww, that is so sad about Hildur Evas classmate. Its always so difficult when a child passes away. Give her hugs from all of us. Love the tulips!

Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 66 F
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Showers and thunderstorms. High 83. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

I found out yesterday that a childhood friend died tragically last September. David was always very athletic. He was a mountain climber and mountain biker. He died while climbing Little Bear in Colorado - he fell off a ridge. Very sad.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
10:23 AM

Post #6639918

Sharon - I'm so sorry about your friend passing away.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #6639951

Rann, children's deaths are always so sad. I had a friend die in a small plane accident when I was in 4th grade and I can still remember how I felt - we had been swimming just an hour before his death. Give Hildur Eva's a hug for me. And Sharon, it's equally hard when you're older!

Rann and Kiska, I think I would not be able to sleep at all. We're at just over 15 hours and, while I go to be at the regular time, I certainly don't go to sleep!

Sunny and a bit breezy here, 46 F. We are due for at least 3 good days. Stan has hay down for today, and will probably mow for tomorrow after breakfast. Our NY sil is coming after school to help chop.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6640360

Good morning! I'm so sorry about Hildur Eva's classmate, Rann, and your friend, Sharon. I'll be praying for both families.

Hi, Kathleen! And welcome back, petralittledog! :-)

Sharon, the water never gets warm in Maine. Even when the air finally warms up (they got up to 72 yesterday.. that's been the warmest day so far this week. Today it will be back down in the 60s during the day and the mid 40s at night.) it doesn't warm up the lake - or "pond" as they call it. It's a very deep pond! The folks who live next door have a little beach where you can actually wade into the pond, and that would be ok on hot days. From our camp, though, you'd have to just jump off of the deck. Brrrrr...

I love the tipped wheelbarrow and the little inset pond, Ric!

The tulips are gorgeous, Rann!

The articles are one of my favorite parts of DG, and I read most of them. Thank you, Kelli, Adina, and Kathleen (and anyone else I might be missing!) for your contributions to them. :-)

Today is Katie's last day of school. Yayyy! I wrapped bars of kathy_ann's goat milk soap for teacher gifts. Yummm... I love that stuff. I always buy an extra bar of Honeysucklekiss for me to keep. :-) Katie only has a half day, so we are going to go out to lunch when she comes home to celebrate. McDonalds with a play place - her choice. :-P I'll bring a book to read.

The weather is the same as usual here. There's a slight chance of rain this afternoon. So far all of the rains this week have missed us, so hopefully we will get some today. In the meantime, I need to go turn the soaker hoses on for a bit.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (14 min ago)
Temperature 73 F 23 C
Dew Point 66 F 19 C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.7 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 70.0F / 21.1C

Today Partly cloudy late then becoming mostly sunny until late afternoon then becoming sunny late in the afternoon. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms late. Highs in the upper 80s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Clear. Lows in the upper 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6641013

I never said WELCOME to Kathleen. Silly me. So...Welcome and enjoy your stay. We're a funny bunch here so have fun! LOL

So sad, Sharon and Rann. Holding your hands in my heart today.

I must take a trip to Decker Lake soon. The pelicans are nesting and I want pics. It's a small man-made "lake" in the middle on West Valley/Salt Lake City. Really a big pond. The white pelicans and other water birds love it.

"This is an ode to the wonderful Pelican
Who's beak can hold more than his belly can."

67.8 F with 85 for the high. I could spend all Summer like this. Thunderstorms again this afternoon and all week, interspersed with sunny days.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 42 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph
Pressure: 29.97 in (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I'm in love with my front yard again.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 4, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6642340

Celia, I'm also in love with your front yard!LOL
Bernie, thanks for reading my articles! How are you feeling?
Katheleen, welcome on the weather thread, nice to see you here! If we don't advertise for our articles, who will?LOL
I can't believe you have so many roses, loved your article !
Kelli, Queen Mary had a tragic death. She came between two of her sons (she had 6 children) who were arguing over a woman...they had guns and she got the shot in her arm. She died a year later from the infection with all the care she had. Her elder son, King Carol came to the throne after his father, king Ferdinand died . He was the King of Romania during the WWI. After he died, his son , King Mihai followed to the throne, although he was under age. He became king before the WWII and was chased away after the war, when the communists won the elections. He lived in Switzerland until after the Revolution in 1989. Now he came back to Romania and is living here with his wife and 4 daughters. They regained some of the properties which were taken from them back then.
Rann, what a terrible thing! Hildur Eva must be so impressed with her colleagues death.
Marylyn, thanks for being our constant reader! Hooray for Katie's vacation!
Ric, you and Robyn have such an imagination of using all the old stuff for planting !
Sharon, what is a volatile storm? Love your purple flowers, what are they?
Today we got ourselves a new toy!LOL DH is so happy he can play with it!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 4, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6642349

I played too!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6642391

Wow, Adina--you have grass--the last time I remember a photo of your yard it was still dirt!
Celia: your front yard is lovely--tell us what the flowers are from left to right,please. LOL
Rann: so sorry to hear about Hildur Eva's friend's death. A child's death is always tragic--I know from personal experience--my oldest son was killed in a motorcycle accident when he was 19.
Sharon: sorry about your friend, too.
I'm leaving for a week's vacation on Saturday so I have to get packing--literally! No time to comment on much else. I'll try to check out the links which everyone has posted a little later. Looking forward to seeing that cabin in the woods, Marylyn!
We've had rain and sunshine today. Rain this morning and sunshine now. Currently 69--it's been cooler today--a welcome relief!

Ric sent me these this week in exchange for some Illustris pups. Two are "Big Dippers"--the other one is a surprise--even Ric doesn't know what it is! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6642520

Thank you all for your welcomes. I was here back at the beginning of the Weather Forum, but am often busy elsewhere. I try to keep up with a precious few forums. This is a lovely place to land again.

The weather is holding nicely and Stan is getting lots of hay in.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6642684

Tanks everyone. David was such a great guy. He was good friends with my brother Steve too.

Kathleen Sounds like you are going to be busy for a couple of days!
Marylyn I think I want to move to Maine for the Summers! Perfect temps for me LOL! Thats so sweet of Katie to give her teachers a gift.
Celia Love the ode! LMBO! Im in love with your front lawn too! Come down here and fix mine!
Adina Volatile means violent. Like a really, really bad storm with thunder and lightening possibly hail. Its a Blue Daze (or so Ive been told and thats what the tag said). An electric lawn mower! Thats so cool!
Mau Vacation?! I was going to mail the lantana, but will hold off for a week! Have fun!
Kathleen Were so glad you decided to drop in again!

71.8 F
Thunderstorm Rain
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 29.89 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 71 F
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 800 ft
Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft
Overcast 5500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Low 70. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

I has been pouring since 3pm. We're soaked LOL! The rainmeter shows 2.3" so far. I went to check the mail (barefoot thank goodness). The street is about 3" under water.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6643536

Sharon: I've been meaning to dmail you and tell you to hold off on mailing the lantana but I've been really busy this week and completely forgot about it. Thanks for thinking of that! Lovely moss rose, is it?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6643538

Well the rain FINALLY stopped.
Hopefully it's gone for 3 or 4 days anyway.
It's supposed to hit the upper 40's tonight.

I got some of Mau's home grown Colocasia 'Illustris' today as she mentioned.
Because of the cool night ahead they're spending it in my GH.
Then it's out to the new space.

Thanks for the comments on the Tease shot.
I planned on showing off the finished project but the rain got us.
Once I broom and wash everything off (mud everywhere) I post it.
We did though get it done in time for the RU.

Petra watering is always an issue w/ us.
We have probably 200 containers and pots, plus hundreds of plants in 10 small beds.
In the Spring thru early Summer they mostly fend for themselves.
Mid Summer to Early Fall we put saucers under all the plants to hold water.
Maybe twice a week at most we have to get out the hoses.
The beds have a flat drip sprinkler hose but we still hit them w/ a bit of water from above.

Adina the first lawn mower we had was electric. I love them!
Course now we have no grass so...lol!

I saw a picture a few minutes ago of Kiska and her Husband at one of my DG Friend's house.
It's her story but I'm SO glad they hooked up!

Celia that looks a lot like the place we had before moving to Cincinnati.
But yours is MUCH Prettier!

Kathleen Welcome Back!

Rann little children are usually pretty resilient.
I lost a few friends along the way as did our sons.
All I have now are the good memories.

Still haven't had a chance to read any articles.
RU is in 2 days and we've been scrambling.
Garden rain out today so we cleaned house.
Tomorrow is potting up and cooking...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6643557

High 70s and mostly sunny today. Got alot of planting done and still have to finish up tomorrow. Now I just need to quit buying plants!! LOL. Will get pics soon and try to post them on here.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 5, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6643886

I am feeling fine. I didn't realize how much it was bothering me. Now that it is gone, I have a whole different feeling. Hard to explain. Like I am relieved.
I have the articles on my home page, so I can check them out every morning.
Market was slow today, then I the way home I saw why. There are three high schools in the city & all were having graduation programs tonight. That entails nearly everybody in town.
66 now & a big moon just up.

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6643967

It's mid sky here Bernie.
We just came in from the Hot Tub and it's like a spotlight.

Already down to 57...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6644003

Ric, where did you live before Cincinnati? I'll bet it was prettier than you let on.

I took some pics of the back this evening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6644022

We've decided to take out the patio and put a rail-less deck along the back of the house extending it out as far as the patio is now. Rounded corners and two steps.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6644030

The other way from the patio. Not going to show th back wall. Not finished yet.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 5, 2009
7:10 AM

Post #6644565

Good morning everyone! I'm on vacation, yiiippeeeee!!!! I have only to go to work on Sunday again though, but officially I'm on vacation starting TODAY! I have lots of work to do, especially pull off the huge grass from the lawn which was brought from the field and covers all the grass I've sown , in some parts of the lawn. The one we've mowed was the already cleaned and had less weeds than the other parts.
Ric, believe me, if it was for me, we had no grass too!LOL
Sharon, thanks for explaining volatile...yes, th estorm it was very volatile, the violent we had since we are here. Everyone got scared of it, even in town where lots of trees were ripped off and they had hail too...lucky we didn't! I love your portulaca, makes me envious!LOL Mine haven't showed up yet from the seeds , ugh!
Celia, wonderful garden! can't wait to see how it looks when finished!
Mau, the bedflower will look great with those plants...what are they?
Bernie, great news , I'm so happy you are feeling so well!
Today is a bit cloudy, but it seems the sun will come out. So, we are going to have a busy day too!LOL
I got this little tree from one of my friends and she doesn't know what it is. I couldn't find it either ... do any of you recognize it? She said it has red blooms.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2009
9:42 AM

Post #6644653

Good morning. There's just enough cloud cover to have shielded the moon, but no rain in sight. Stan plans to get the first cutting chopping done today. We will have another 20 acres to bale. I hope to get my vegetable garden in the rest of the way to day. It will involve a little digging, but most of it is ready and waiting.

Adina, could your little tree be a sumac (Rhus) cultivar? The leaves look like my little "Tiger Eyes". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/102887/
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6644674

Mau MRs sure are pretty and I so surprised at the various colors I have now!
Pepper Famous last words must quit buying plants!
Bernie You can breathe easier knowing you are cancer free!
Celia - Im in love with you back lawn too!
Adian Have fun on your vacation! Are you going anywhere or having what we now call a staycation (stay at home vacation)? Im so glad you didnt get any hail.
Kathleen Youre an early bird like me! LOL! I've already done my workout for the day. Have fun gardening.

71.4 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 88%
Pressure: 29.83 in (Steady)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning... then showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 8. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Mau - Look what came back!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #6644803

Good morning!

I'm not an early bird, I'm 4 hours ahead of you guys and you still beat me to it! lol No workout done either, sigh.

It's cloudy, light breeze and 63F, pretty much the same as yesterday.

Selma's sick with a cold so she couldn't go to school today and missed the second day of filming. She was very disappointed, it's not everyday you get to be in a film... oh well. Here's information about the film project if anyone's interested: http://www.21foundation.com/

Hildur Eva's OK, but there's a lot going on in her head still ... she talks about it every morning when she wakes up. Wonder if she's dreaming something about it. She said this morning that she was sorry it was that particular boy because he was kind of nice and didn't bother the girls at all. He was a really sweet kid.

Celia - you're garden looks great! Mine's a complete mess ... lol

Adina - I'm amazed how quickly your lawn grew green! Sorry about the unwanted grass ... I have a similar problem. I bought grass seed last year to sow in some bald spots and I don't like it at all! It's much coarser than the original grass and so stiff my lawnmower won't mow it! Very annoying, I thought the grass seed blends they sold at the stores were the best grass you could get! What a huge misunderstanding that was. Not sure what I'll do, don't really feel like ripping it all out ...

Sharon - those moss roses are gorgeous!

Have a good day!

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6644926

Rann If I dont do my workout first thing in the morning it wont get done! Too much going on in the evening (or too lazy) to do it later LOL! At least Im honest LOL! Poor Selma. I hope she feels better soon. And Hildur Eva my heart aches for her.

If anyone has unwanted grass, please feel free to send it my way LOL! Ive found the pink moss rose is difficult to photograph. The pictures have to be taken in the shade. The pink is so bright it looks photo-shopped to look luminous. Its pretty, but looks kind of fake.

This is what I mean.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6645697

Sharon - that's HOT pink! Great color. I have plenty of grass! lol Don't think it would survive the Florida heat though!

Mau - I forgot to mention earlier, I'm so sorry about your son. How horrible.

Selma's feeling better already, just a mild cold. Here's a link to photos from yesterday's filming ... you can try and spot Selma in the group photo ;-) lol http://www.21foundation.com/blog/2009/06/iceland-filming-day-1

Heavier clouds and stronger breeze this afternoon, looks like rain is on the way. 64F

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6646125

Sharon, what is that? Besides pretty, I mean.

65.0 F with (they say) 79 for the high. It's much windier than the stated 5mph or the gusts of 12mph.
Overcast
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 5.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph
Pressure: 29.74 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Overcast 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6646213

Mau - I missed the post about your son. I'm sorry. Loosing a child is very traumatic.
Celia - That's a super HOT pink moss rose. They are difficult to photograph due to their brilliance!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6646219

Sorry. I meant the one you said to Mau, "Look what came back."
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6646244

Oh, that's at torch lily she gave me last year

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6646977

That's waht I thought but I wasn't sure. Thanks! What's the name, if it has one?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6647330

That I don't know!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6647359

That's okay. it's pretty even nameless.

Hey! It's raining! No...it stopped. Now, it's raining again. Well...it stopped again...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6647383

It's hot and humid so it must officially be June. LOL!! We have a BBQ company coming tomorrow to do some smoking. I think they will be where I'm at so I might try getting a few pieces here and there. LOL
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6647795

Whew! It's hot out there! The bunnies and I just came back home from store hopping. I wanted two hanging baskets. I ended up buying 2 soaker hoses, a bag of bird seed and some suet so we can feed the birds squirrels (the birds end up getting a little of it, anyway... LOL), some potting soil and a bag of perlite to mix with it, 2 flats of vinca, 4 wicker baskets, 3 clear plastic pots to put in the baskets, some cute faux birds to peek out of the indoor plants, and a wire trellis for my indoor ivy plant. We went from Wal-Mart to Home Depot to Tuesday Morning, to Hobby Lobby, and back across the parking lot to Home Depot again. Home Depot, Tuesday Morning, and Hobby Lobby are in the same strip, so we were walking between those stores. We're all ready for a cold shower and a nap now! LOL I'm going to wait for the morning to plant the vinca and spread out the soaker hoses. I might go clean out the bird feeder and fill it up now, though... There is a robin sitting on the branch above it looking at me hopefully. Maybe it will find the seed before the squirrels.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (20 min ago)
Temperature 89 F 32 C
Dew Point 60 F 16 C
Humidity 37%
Pressure 29.92 in 1013.3 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NNW 330
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 90 F 32 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 64.0F / 17.8C

Tonight Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 60s. East winds around 5 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6648014

The torch lily is called Flamenco torch Lily or "Red Hot Poker" I'll post a photo of mine so you can see the variation in color. Most of mine are orange but one plant has both orange blooms and yellow blooms on it.
Sharon, I was wondering if you had transplanted the torch lily to the new place--glad it made the move! One of my plants had 27 blooms on it at one time earlier in the spring! Most of the blooms are fading now but it will continue to bloom off and on throughout the summer. Be sure to cut back the bloom stalks once the bloom withers. You can also save the seeds that form on the stalk after the bloom dies. That hot pink moss rose is stunning!
Adina: the plants you asked about which Ric sent me are the Big Dipper elephant ears plus another one which ric doesn't know--said he would have to wait until it blooms!. I don't know the difference between an alocasia EE and a colocasia EE--Ric will have to explain that. LOL
Thank you Rann and Sharon for your condolences about my son. However, He died 28 years ago so time has helped heal the wound although I don't think one ever really gets over the death of a child. However, I can think about him now with fond memories rather than tears. I just mentioned it because of Hildur Eva's friend's death. Give Hildur Eva a big hug from me, Rann! So sorry that Selma isn't feeling well. Give her a hug, too!
Celia: your yard is lovely--front and back! I like your curved patio--won't it be a lot of work to take that out? Have you ever thought about staining the concrete?
Marylyn: you and the girls were certainly busy today LOL How fortunate to have Home Depot, Wal-Mart and Tuesday Morning all in close proximity!
Currently it is 78 and sunny.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Canada but I'll have access to a computer while I am away so I will check in from time-to-time to see how your gardens are growing. Everyone have a good week!

I went to Home Depot today and found a sale rack. They had a plants on sale for $1.29 and I bought all they had left which was just 3 blue salvias and two pots of zinnias. I need to get outside and get them planted before it gets dark.
Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6648020

Oh, and here's a pic of my torch lilies

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6648081

So pretty, Mau. I have a plain old red poker plant. No blooms yet.

We could stain the patio but if you look closely at the first pic, under the chairs is a huge crack and there are 2 more in it you can't see. It's slowly sliding down the small hill. It's bigger now than when we moved in in 2004. We like the deck look better using the sythetic decking materials. Low maintenance and pretty, too!

So many plans...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6648107

You all have such neat yards. Ours is such a jungle. When we first moved here, we thought that the guy who lived here wasn't taking good care of the place, but I know now that that is not necessarily the case. The place sat empty for 2 1/2 months and everything ran wild. It doesn't take long.

We got about 0.1 inches of rain today! It must be working up to be an El Nino year.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on June 05, 2009
68 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 17 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Falling)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6648301

I went back and looked at the first pic of your patio, Celia, and I see what you are talking about. With the cracks in the concrete, you already have a head start on demolition. LOL A deck will be pretty there!

I got my new plants in the ground. Now let's hope it does rain some while I'm gone so they won't dry up!
Currently 73F and not quite Dyson dark.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6648584

Mau those are Gorgeous!

Adina the plants Mau and I traded are Aroids.
There are hundreds of them.
The ones you will probably know are Arums and Peace Lily.
The mystery plant is an Upright Elephant Ear.
Their leave point upward after they mature.
In the wild they can get HUGE!
12' Tall at least w/ leaves 6' from the top to the stem.

Here's an example.
It's an Alocasia

Ric

This message was edited Jun 5, 2009 11:13 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6648610

And here's some of Robyn's Colocasia.
Over here many people call them Cannon Balls because of the Bulb.
These are about three weeks away from frost.
At Sharon's you probably wouldn't even see Robyn.

Ric

This message was edited Jun 5, 2009 11:28 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6649389

Robyn looks lost back there! LOL

I love your new flowers, Mau. The zinnias are very bright.

51.2 F with 72 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 42 F
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 29.76 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Busy today. Darrell and I are going to take a ride out to the bird sanctuary north of us.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6649499

Sunny, light breeze and 64F. Gorgeous day ... unfortunately I won't be able to enjoy it out in the garden since we're invited to a birthday party and then I'm taking the girls to see Sound of Music (the stage musical not the movie ;-)) They've seen the movie (several times! lol) and are very excited to see it on stage.
Hope I'll get a chance to spend some time outside this evening at least!

Have a good day!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6649553

Off to the RU.
80 Sunny and Calm.
It don't get no better!

BBL
Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6649680

Sun is shining, clear skies, I think we have had more rain in the last month than we had all of last year. Best to all.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6650462

64 and a couple of hard rains this morn. I've been busy weeding and moving a few plants around. It's going to get hot, faster than I can transplant everything I want to move. It's a good thing we've been watering because we haven't had near the rain these last couple of weeks we were supposed to get.

Kathleen, I don't think I said welcome. I go missing a lot in the spring. Ahhh, You're an original.

Kelli, aren't you pretty much an old timer to Weather too?

I'm too far behind to comment, but I read all of it and made mental comments to everyone.

Freshly mowed and facing southwest.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6651178

I've been coming here for a couple years now, but I don't think I'm an original.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 06, 2009
67 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

hiking pictures from today - cliff swallows

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6651181

We'll be going down into that canyon and back up the road that goes across the center of the picture.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6651186

farewell-to-spring

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6651190

down in the canyon

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6652401

Just got back from the RU.
Marylyn I gave Marcy a big ole hug from you.
We were w/ her and Dave about all day.
They stopped by here after the RU and then we went to Joycet house for an after party.
A LONG Beautiful Day.

Here's a thread I started on RU Pictures.
It will be a while before I get all the shots edited and up.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/998943/

Drop by often, or watch the theard if you've a mind, it will fill in quickly in the next few days.

Tomorrow it's a Local Garden Tour.
So it's off to regroup.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6654353

54.8 F with 63 for the high today. It's overcast and much cooler. We didn't go to the bird refuge. Too wet.
Light Rain
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.87 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1700 ft
Scattered Clouds 3500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft
Overcast 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Gaillardia 'Fanfare'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6654614

Oooooo... Celia, I'm drooling! That is a gorgeous gaillardia!!

Thanks for hugging Marcy for me, Ric! One of these days I'm going to surprise you all and show up at one of those... It would be SOO fun to really meet you all!

Kelli, that last photo makes me want to go down that path, too.

It's going to be hot and dry with no chance of rain and very little humidity all week. I need to finish laying out those soaker hoses today. The garden is definitely going to need them!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CDT (33 min ago)
Temperature 89 F 32 C
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 43%
Pressure 29.91 in 1013 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 22 11 kts
G 19
Wind Dir S 170
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 91 F 33 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 68.0F / 20.0C
6 hour max temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 91.0F / 32.8C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6654951

Sunny Bright and Blue skies. Temp around 80 F.

The squash plants have flowers but I have not seen any fruit setting yet.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6655106

We just got back from the Garden Tour.
If you not done one of these please treat yourself.
Fun, nice ideas to steal, great scenery... what's not to like.

Perfect weather!
mid 80's, mild breeze, not a cloud.

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6655279

So far behind! Great pics everyone! We've had a busy weekend and I haven't had time to think straight. Have to get dinner ready now. It's rained off and on all weekend. No serious thunderboomers though.

75.0 F
Thunderstorm (nu-uh)
Humidity: 77%
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Through 530 PM...showers and thunderstorms continue to develop mostly to the south of Interstate 10 with the heaviest activity near Yulee...Waldo...Camp Blanding and Saint Augustine. These thunderstorms are moving southeast at 15 miles an hour. Heavy rainfall should be expected with the thunderstorms

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then partly cloudy with slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 70. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6656133

Just finished dealing with thunderstorms. Major hail there for awhile. Tornado warnings up north near Savannah or actually just east of it a bit now. Been hot and humid. Gonna be hot and wet all week.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 8, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6656628

Nice rain since early Saturday morning. It is replenishing our dry ground. It's wonderful!

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6656983

You can't show a pretty flower like that , Sharon, and not share what it is! LOL

Overcast and rainy off and on all day. Supposed to be the same all week here, too.

I have an appt. with my orthopedist in the morning. Here's to hoping he doesn't say the 'S' word.

Columbine seed pod.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6656992

Bernie that's GREAT!

We're finally starting to dry out here.
We might be able to get into the veggie garden tomorrow to plant the RU Maters.

Here's the link again for the RU Pictures.
I finally got all of mine on and several others are posting shots.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/998943/

We're whipped!
2 solid days of Garden Party.
What a nice way to spend a weekend.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6656996

Celia that's LOVELY!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6657009

Thanks, Ric. :-)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6657022

I'll post the Garden Tour shots on my album and send a link.
But you have to see this shot.

This is the roadside of a 2.4 acre garden paradise.
She does this just for the passersby.
She puts up safety cones and gets right out the in the road and plays in the dirt.
It's probably 60' of bed and at least 50 yards downhill of her house.
And it's a HILL!
Oh BTW she's 75 years young.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6657041

Here's a closer shot.
This isn't just a throw a few seeds and run garden.
The whole yard is done in this style... by her alone... including cleaning the gutters on the house...lol!
She works out at the Health Club 6 days a week during the down gardening months.
Now she has started a Garden Design business too.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #6657641

We've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/999600/

This is my newest color on the moss rose. The plants are making up their own colors now! I love it!

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 7:49 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6670809

Adina, I am very ar behind - your tree looks like a small pink Mimosa with its feathery branches and leaves.

Several days of severe thunderstorms have left us well supplied with water - Thank Goodness! Currently 70 deg and foggy.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6672380

Thanks, Se_eds! Come on over to the new thread Sharon posted!
Adina

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America