Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

June is busting out all over...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

This video made me laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVqZOlt8AMA
It features Gisele MacKenzie, circa 1956, and if you don't know the name this might be amusing or entertaining. It's certainly cheerful and far more appealing than either Rap or Hip Hop!

Anyhow, it's June and many gardens are showing the lush looks I love to see. Here's the June page from Zuzu's calendar and it's the kind of lush look we usually associate with gardening magazines that feature the impossible to attain look, which Zuzu has achieved so beautifully.

Show us your lush garden spots.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll take some shots tomorrow or the next day of the lusher spots in my garden, but I just have to show you this wonderful clematis. It was supposed to be c. sieboldii, and I don't know whether this is a case of mislabeling or mutation, but look at this little treasure.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

And, of course, June is the month that the poppies are busting out all over. This is one of the opium poppies that came with the house when I bought it 25 years ago. They're still coming up all over the place. I didn't know what it was, but my mother recognized it right away because she was raised in China.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another one. I love this color.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This one's Drama Queen, from Annie's Annuals.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Z: That first clematis looks like a dahlia or a mum growing on a vine. It's VERY cool !

Great poppies, too.
OK...so what DON'T you have growing there ? LOL

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

No Kniphofia or anything resembling it.

No vegetables.

No Marigolds or Echinaceas, because they just attract every snail in the neighborhood and disappear the first night after they're planted.

No cacti or carnivorous plants.

No ornamental grasses or bamboo.

No Agave, Cotoneaster, Holly, or Pyracantha, because they're too painful.

No ivy.

No blackberry vines.

Your "no" list is excellent and yet I do love my tomatoes and cabbage and broccoli and asparagus, of course!

Duchess of Edinburgh is the name of your white/green clematis. I have a few of them and love the ones growing on the andromeda in the rose garden because it flowers in white and these clematis give it a second bloom that puzzles some people.

Thumbnail by pirl

This little hosta garden is our favorite of all the gardens and is lush (to me).

Thumbnail by pirl
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

It's gorgeous, isn't it? Okay, now I know it was mislabeled and not a mutant.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That's very lush, indeed, Pirl, and it's just the kind of garden I like. It's a lot easier to tend a garden when there's no room for weeds.

I used to grow tomatoes, corn, zucchini and some other vegetables, but they produced too much food for me to eat, and the neighbors eventually started hiding when they saw me coming with bags full of zucchini.

As for broccoli, never, never, never, never will I eat broccoli.

It appears quite green when it opens and then ages to white (and then just plain old ugly white).

Hmmm...do you just not like broccoli or did you have too much of it at some point in your life?

I grew it with the dahlias last year and it was a great support for them.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I would grow it to support dahlias if I could grow tall dahlias. When I moved here and planted dahlias, I immediately attracted every gopher for miles around to my garden. Gophers love dahlias. They don't last a day here. Now I only grow the small ones because I can keep them in containers.

I don't like anything in the broccoli family. Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cooked cabbage... I actually could eat them all raw, I suppose, because it's the smell of them cooking that I can't stand.

I recently heard a doctor say that most cases of morning sickness are caused by broccoli. I'm inclined to believe that theory because I never had a single twinge of morning sickness when I was carrying Michael.

At the time of pregnancy I wasn't a broccoli eater but I did have a lot of morning sickness with one child (and weight gain) but, shockingly, with another child had not a twinge of morning sickness and didn't gain an ounce. Nature is amazing.

Asparagus has this after effect I'm sure you've heard about and the fresher it is the more pronounced the odor is.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, I know that one because I eat asparagus almost every day when it drops down below $3 a pound. I used to grow it too, but I needed the space for other things, so now it's just included in my grocery delivery.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just to say hi
Lime Sorbet
noid Iris DD's pink
Verbascum Purple

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Arlene,

I love your hosta garden. Hope all is well. Here is a lil something from hot, humid florida. LOL! ^_^

Thumbnail by Gardenia731
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW Beautiful Gardinea

Hi, Arlene!

Wow! That's some eye popping color you have there!

Arlene

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a purple and white just opening up and I can't wait. I planted over 300 bulbs all over the yard. Thank you Arlene & GE!

The excitement of the end of spring and start of summer seems to be across the country now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just love these two together.
Hosta Mister Watson and ger.Rozanne

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nothing wrong with Veronica Royal Candles either

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The poppies are bustin
Corel Reef

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Black Iris

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Not much in bloom yet, but lots of foliage color.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just beautiful Polly.The verigated grass is a nice touch.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jo Ann. I just love the ornamental grasses.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I refuse to give up on Picasa.
Here is another collage.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks OK Hope I can do it again

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks good. You did it!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks I have to take time out in order to calm down befor I give it another try.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Are you still working on the new iris garden?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, it's aboput 1/3 full already. It's 23 X 80, and by the time I get done dividing in the fall it's going to be full. I do have 3 foot fabric mats down each row, so that takes up a lot of room. But I couldn't possibly have weeded the whole thing otherwise.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It will be splendid. I cant wait to see pictures.
Will you wait for blooms?
or
Let us dream?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is todays collage

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Martagons are blooming

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Poppies Corel Reef
Verigated coriopses noid