Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poppies: Papaver alpinum

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 3, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
peony8
Westford, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6626306

I have recently discovered poppies! I didn't think I could grown them in 5 hours sun, max, but I'm going to give it a try.

At a local nursery, I found one very healthy and large Papaver alpinum. I immediately fell in love with its grey-green fern-like foliage and multi-colored blooms, so I bought it. Later I read on PlantFiles that they are a short-lived perennial.

If I want it to survive and make babies, should I leave it alone after the blooms fade (i.e., no deadheading or pruning til next spring)? I assume it will drop seeds ... or is that just wishful thinking?

Is anyone growing this poppy? I'd love to know how long the blooms last and also know if it will be OK with a bit less sun that it would like. I do have several "full sun" perennials that are doing perfectly fine in part sun.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6722065

I have not grown this poppy but I have grown other Papaver perennials, like pilosum, radicatum, lateritium, rhaeticum, and so forth. Do leave it alone and once the pods form, keep an eye on them and let them dry on the plant if possible. Then take them off, open, and save the seeds. Or you can indeed let the pods split on the plant and give it a little help by shaking the pod around. The flower of perennial poppies last longer, in my experience, than those of P. somniferum.
peony8
Westford, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6729469

Thanks, paracelsus. It bloomed a really long time and might still be going strong if not for the rain we've had nearly every day for 3+ weeks.

I fear I have missed the seed window. If I just left it on the plant, and the rain washed it off the leaves, then I imagine (hope) it will make new baby poppies next year? I'd love for this one to spread. I like the ferny, silvery foliage almost as much as the blooms.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6730026

It should reseed some, yes. I too like poppy foliage. A lot of them have a nice whitish bloom to the blue-green leaves.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America