Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Upper Midwest Gardening: Bamboo in Madison

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 1, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6626698

I have always wanted to grow bamboo but it somehow did not work out. Last year I got some low growing bamboosa from Marcia and braved to plant my yellow grove outside too. I was really not sure would could come out of this experiment. But they are all back! It's too early to tell what happens to the yellow grove eventually, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and wishing for them to spread.

You don't really see much of the yellow grove, it died to the ground. The little spikes up (I counded 3) are the new growth.

Does anybody else grow bamboos?

Thumbnail by enya_34
Click the image for an enlarged view.

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 1, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6626833

Just found the picture from late last summer of the same area.
Now that I am looking at it, I don't see increase. Must be too early in the season...

Thumbnail by enya_34

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6630207

It took my bamboo several years to take off. I don't remember it's name, but it's growing in deep shade. I took the picture this morning in the rain.

Thumbnail by pastime

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 2, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6631138

So it's the same trick - patience :) I love the yellow variegation of your bamboo.
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 5, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6645739

pastime,
I'd like my shorter bamboo to spread and form a clump, but am not sure if I picked the right spot for it.
Mine is growing in deep shade too. I planted it there to shield it from winter winds. It went through winter without loosing leaves. Does yours do the same?

It seems to me that your and my variegated bamboos are very similar except mine has white variegation and yours has yellow. Is that right?

duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6648392

Through DG I've seen so many area gardens. Great ideas and other people who get passionate about mulch, seeds, and little buds. I know there is going to be a gathering on June 13 at Olbrich. Well, because I'm a local. Olbrich is sort of a been there done that sort of thing. I'd really rather see your garden. Is there any plan to visit your or jassmer's beautiful gardens?

I'm worried about complaining or suggesting ideas because I'm not sure if I can even make it. It is the summer of high school graduations for us. But I'd love to see the bamboo.
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 6, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #6649283

My garden is really small and disorganized so I am not sure if people would be interested to come and see it really. So I don't feel comfortable offering a tour for fear of disappointing the visitors.

You are so close that it won't be a problem to just stop by some time over the summer.
I am taking two weeks off starting June 29, so you are welcome to come over and have a look any time :)
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6649448

enya_34: I went out this morning and picked a piece. My bamboo is chartreuse with dark green stripes. I scanned a piece for you to see.

Thumbnail by pastime

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6652596

I am going to try to get mine cleaned up a bit..I don't mean tidy..I mean get the pots and hose off the lawn. ..so maybe a visit place to cruise through on way to wadesinwater.
I had the name of the bamboo somewhere. I gathered most up and planted it in litter pan, so that it would be easy to move (still house hunting), did bring a bit indoors--that was a wonderful thing as the bamboo outdoors didn't like the gathering up and I have yet one more holding pot to dump. Guessing at name--Pleisoblastus variegatus. If you look up dwarf bamboo-can find it--mine varies in color intensity.
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 7, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6655600

Pastime, thank you for the picture. It seems we have the same bamboo :) I am very hopeful it will start spreading too.

I've see Marcia's garden. It's not big, but it is very very nice. She has created various areas in the garden that
transition so naturally. I really like the way it is layed out - it's very inviting.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America