Bamboo in Madison

Madison, WI

I have always wanted to grow bamboo but it somehow did not work out. Last year I got some low growing bamboosa from Marcia and braved to plant my yellow grove outside too. I was really not sure would could come out of this experiment. But they are all back! It's too early to tell what happens to the yellow grove eventually, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and wishing for them to spread.

You don't really see much of the yellow grove, it died to the ground. The little spikes up (I counded 3) are the new growth.

Does anybody else grow bamboos?

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

Just found the picture from late last summer of the same area.
Now that I am looking at it, I don't see increase. Must be too early in the season...

Thumbnail by enya_34
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It took my bamboo several years to take off. I don't remember it's name, but it's growing in deep shade. I took the picture this morning in the rain.

Thumbnail by pastime
Madison, WI

So it's the same trick - patience :) I love the yellow variegation of your bamboo.

Madison, WI

pastime,
I'd like my shorter bamboo to spread and form a clump, but am not sure if I picked the right spot for it.
Mine is growing in deep shade too. I planted it there to shield it from winter winds. It went through winter without loosing leaves. Does yours do the same?

It seems to me that your and my variegated bamboos are very similar except mine has white variegation and yours has yellow. Is that right?

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

Through DG I've seen so many area gardens. Great ideas and other people who get passionate about mulch, seeds, and little buds. I know there is going to be a gathering on June 13 at Olbrich. Well, because I'm a local. Olbrich is sort of a been there done that sort of thing. I'd really rather see your garden. Is there any plan to visit your or jassmer's beautiful gardens?

I'm worried about complaining or suggesting ideas because I'm not sure if I can even make it. It is the summer of high school graduations for us. But I'd love to see the bamboo.

Madison, WI

My garden is really small and disorganized so I am not sure if people would be interested to come and see it really. So I don't feel comfortable offering a tour for fear of disappointing the visitors.

You are so close that it won't be a problem to just stop by some time over the summer.
I am taking two weeks off starting June 29, so you are welcome to come over and have a look any time :)

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

enya_34: I went out this morning and picked a piece. My bamboo is chartreuse with dark green stripes. I scanned a piece for you to see.

Thumbnail by pastime
south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I am going to try to get mine cleaned up a bit..I don't mean tidy..I mean get the pots and hose off the lawn. ..so maybe a visit place to cruise through on way to wadesinwater.
I had the name of the bamboo somewhere. I gathered most up and planted it in litter pan, so that it would be easy to move (still house hunting), did bring a bit indoors--that was a wonderful thing as the bamboo outdoors didn't like the gathering up and I have yet one more holding pot to dump. Guessing at name--Pleisoblastus variegatus. If you look up dwarf bamboo-can find it--mine varies in color intensity.

Madison, WI

Pastime, thank you for the picture. It seems we have the same bamboo :) I am very hopeful it will start spreading too.

I've see Marcia's garden. It's not big, but it is very very nice. She has created various areas in the garden that
transition so naturally. I really like the way it is layed out - it's very inviting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.