Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Understanding Koi Varieties: Nice

Communities > Forums > Article: Understanding Koi Varieties
bookmark
Forum: Article: Understanding Koi VarietiesReplies: 4, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6629263

Hi Susanne,
The article came out great. I learned so much from reading it and enjoyed seeing all the pictures.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6629359

Thanks! Love your picture, too, it really shows a water gardener's fish-love. :) Thanks again for letting me show it.
Irony of all ironies, my pond was hit by a heron the night before the article published (took the net off because my largest koi got caught in it and I was worried) and I lost all but 2 koi and 2 goldfish. Sad thing koi keeping can be.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6629372

Oh no! Those Heron are pests! I know it looks silly but my fake heron has kept the real ones away.
Herons are territorial I've been told and the plastic one rules my pond! Hope to have a nice iron statue one of these days. Did you put the net back on. He will be back otherwise.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Click the image for an enlarged view.

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #6629398

I did, and it's tucked even better this time. I'm only assuming it was a heron, but my dogs were sniffing around the pond as soon as they went outside (said my house sitter, I wasn't home over memorial day wknd) We had a hit last year about this time, also unknown for sure, but I figure the time is ripe with newly active fish and no plants to cover. Last year I didn't know about bird nets unfortunately and this year I became a firm believer :( Last year was a lot more heart breaking though...my first fish. This year I just keep kicking myself.
Love your cute fishies and frog!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6630259

Here is a picture of a Koi castle I purchased in CA a few years ago. This is a great way to protect fish until the plants fill in and also makes a great winter retreat for their long winters nap. All 21 piled in this winter to keep "warm". This one resembles a boulder but I have seen them made using various things.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Understanding Koi Varieties Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fantasic Article!!! jeri11 5 Jun 1, 2009 3:10 PM
Ahhhh, well... Sharran 1 May 28, 2009 3:58 PM
You are so fortunate Philjarrah 3 Oct 27, 2009 11:20 PM
Dave's Garden is like finding money you forgot you hide. sylviab123 0 Jun 3, 2009 12:43 AM
WILL KOI DAMAGE MY DAM?? mollyrose64 1 Jun 25, 2009 2:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America