Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Leak in streambed

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6636277

I have a leak in this streambed but after inspecting the liner all around the stream edges just can not locate the area it is leaking from.The streambed has a seperate pump from the pond and if the streambed pump is turned off I do not seem to be losing water,so I am pretty sure the pond is not the problem.I checked all the rocks around the streambed and they all seem to be dry.So any ideas as to locate the leak without taking the whole stream apart?
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6637303

streams are tough because of the moving water.. I just re-laid mine, but it was a rather short run. How big is your stream, and does water stay in it when the pumps are off, or drain to the pond
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6638909

Pretty short run,8 feet maybe and the water does drain towards the pond
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6640052

wow, the draining makes it tough and 8 feet is a bit long to epoxy a new liner over. sounds like you probably have internal filters, I have seen a few threads here where people with external pumps, filters and fittings have leaks, small ones i guess - but everyone is always surprised when a small external leak can drain a pond so fast. put news paper under any lines and fittings you can, you may hit a wet spot. I found my leaks (i've had 2 -I used plastic instead of a liner ) when the liner was dry. hard to spot when wet.

-joe-
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6641749

Joe,what an awesome idea,newspapers! I will try this asap and I will let you know.Personally I think the leak is where streamliner and pondliner meet,thought I had rectified that problem but I still lost 2 inches of water overnight.Now I just have to find the time to do the newspapertest.Bernadette
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6641954

good luck. I had a lot of problems at seams as well..when I was first installing. I ended up using several tubes of silicone than epoxy on a layer to cover the seam..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America