toad eggs?!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have eggs in my pond. Must be THOUSANDS of them. right overnight.
I think they are toads. I have the understanding that toads lay them in a string? and frogs are in a sort of glob lol ,, is that right?

How long does it take them to hatch? I had toads once before but it was a while back and now I can't remember. I am hoping just a few days. I wanted to work on my filter, clean ect, but they laid them ON the filter. Some of the eggs are whitish looking, I think that is bad?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Congrats Toad Momma! Just gently brush the strings of eggs off the filter. They'll move. White eggs are dead eggs. But that's no big deal. Mother nature way, way over supplies eggs to allot for natural losses. Hatching into tadpoles is roughly 5 -7 days depending on water temps etc. I get so many I sometimes I net some out and toss them. Right now mine are just barely begining to show legs. They've been in the pond about a month to 5 weeks. I love it when they eat every infinitesimal speck of algae from the entire pond. It's never so clean as when the tadpoles finish up their algae binge.

lol but don't they have poopies?!?
Like millions of poopies?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Nope!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

The tadpoles will keep your water crystal clear. If you have fish, they will not eat toad tadpoles (toadpoles?) but will eat frog tadpoles. If the eggs are in long strands, that's usually a toad, frog eggs usually float on the surface in a gel blob.

well the buggers hatched out, all of them seemingly over night. It took about 4 days for them to hatch and start swimming.
Now the water is so murky I can't see a thing in it. we have had LOTS of rainfall and that usually makes clean water, but I guess the tadpoles are dirtying it up lol
It just swarms in little black wiggly things when you look at it.
I wonder what the fish think of all that commotion?
I hope they turn into toads soon and hop out of here LOL !

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Usually the tadpoles will clear up the water for you. They eat all debri and leftover vegetation...so hang in there~
:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.