Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: Book Recommendation

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 2, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wheatnbarley
Wharton, NJ

June 5, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6645406

I just wanted to give a book I read recently a plug. I am a farmer from rural Pennsylvania so, I really related to it and thought you all might as well. It's titled "Savers of the Soul," by Richard Slayton. It's a nice little story about the selling off of rural land to developers. I think everyone who subscribes to this forum would enjoy the book. Anyway, just thought I' let you know.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 7, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6654775

I question whether it is possible to write anything nice about selling rural land to developers!
wheatnbarley
Wharton, NJ

June 8, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6659764

I know!! However, the story is really about how these men got together to protest in their own little way. It was rather spiritual in the sense that these men were very conscious about their connection with the land and how change forced itself on all of them without their consent. I really related to it because, coming from the east coast and once an owner of a small farm myself, I saw big developers turn our lives inside and out and very few people did anything to stop them. The book hits home.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America