Photo by Melody

Hydrangeas: Best lighting for H. quercifolia?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 12, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6649961

I've got H. quercifolia 'Sikes Dwarf' and 'Little Honey'. The 'Sikes Dwarf' is in high open full shade. It does fine. Lots of blooms. I accidentally killed my first 'Little Honey'. Long story with a dragging hose - :( I've got a beautiful replacement for it waiting to go in the ground. I'd like to put it in a different spot to avoid a repeat of the "hose" incident. How much sun will they tolerate?
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6656423

In the South, the leaves turn all yellow or bleach into an almost white color when exposed to the sun in mid summer for long periods of time. In the northern half of the country, these limitations are somewhat relaxed. Since the time when the problem occurs most often is in mid summer, the only way to know how they react is to keep them in a pot that can be moved if you detect that the leaves are suffering from sunscorch.

Or you can see if this variety is growing elsewhere in conditions similar to the location that you plan to use. This includes city gardens, arboretums and houses near yours.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6656489

That's good advice. I just planted it in a new bed that will get some sun after 7:00 pm, otherwise high shade. We'll see how it does. I'm on the garden tour this year and when I looked around I realized I was fast becoming the queen of pots. So I decided it was time to take the plunge (pardon the pun) and get a lot of stuff in the ground. The tour is in August. Isn't that a terrible time for a garden tour? Around here stuff is starting to look a little ragged.

I've never seen this cultivar any where locally. Not even in the garden centers. It's not a real fast grower. But it sure is a show stopper. The oak shaped leaves are electric lime. I have planted this one as far away from a dragging hose as I could get it. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6657117

Those are nice varieties. Enjoy.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6660828

Greetings,

I am, as you can see, in zone 5a and I have a HQ Snowflake and HQ Alice in full sun, in heat that exceeds 90 degrees. If you keep them watered, and wrap burlap around them in the winter to make sure the flower buds are not zapped, they can look like this.

This is Snowflake.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6660845

And this is Alice. My observation is that Snow Queen peters out. I just read Michael Dirr's fabulous book on hydrangeas. He says that Snow Queen peters out, but that the ones you pick do well.

I find these two cultivars it to be a disease free, as well as beautiful.

Enjoy.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6661196

Thanks Donnamack. Your hydrangeas are sure well grown. They're beautiful. Last winter I didnt protect either H. quercifolia and I'm happy to report that the bitter winter ( -17) didnt bother either of them. The 'Sikes Dwarf' has tons of blooms coming on. "Little Honey" looked good too unitl I drug 100' of hose over it. What an idiot.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6661535

You are very funny. I had a lovely Sikes until a neighbor's dog dug it up. I put a mini fence around the new one.

You know, it's interesting. I think I'm marginal on the zone thing. For 2-3 years the plants came back beautifully but didn't bloom. Then I burlapped them and it seemed to give them new life, despite the fact that our winters are gross. I think you are on the other side of the margin. Lucky you! And you have great taste.

Donna

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6677302

I have HQ "Alice" by the front of my house, where it gets morning shade, sun mid-day and filtered shade most of the afternoon. It's covered with blooms right now and makes a great show all summer as the blooms fade to chartreuse, then pale mauve. In the fall I cut the blooms off and use them in arrangements indoors.

These bushes are really too tall, but I'm afraid to trim them in the fall (I made that mistake 4 years ago and no bloom the next summer) and hate to cut them in the summer, when the blooms are still attractive.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6677320

I'm sorry to hear "Snow Queen" peters out - I put a couple in my shade garden two years ago and was hoping for some long-term 'anchors' in the bed.

These don't get much sun (a little filtered sun mid-day) and like the "Alice" in front of my house, they are on their own in our harsh, zone 5b winters. So far, so good.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6677384

Leawood,

Please forgive me for printing it. I didn't mean to discourage you. I put in five or so and it didn't work in filtered light. But there is a big difference, I am learning, between zone 5a and 5b. And you may have the touch with them I just didn't have - and that Dirr didn't have. Enjoy them - they are lovely.

Donna

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6677457

Oh I wasn't offended (and I'm sure I don't have 'the touch'), I just wanted to show how they look after a couple years. If they are short-lived, so be it. I have enjoyed them and I won't be caught by surprise if they disappear.

For whatever it's worth, I planted six "Endless Summer" in my border garden three years ago. Last year one was still alive (but no blooms) and this year none.

Here is a close-up of the "Snow Queen" bloom - it's not as full as "Alice" but still makes a nice look, I think.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6678436

Oh, what a great attitude! Thank you.

I've had the same problem with Iceberg, the floribunda rose. A no brainer. Grows in sun or shade. Best white rose in the world. ANYBODY can grow it. I put in two - twice! Of the four I put in I lost three. And yes, they were nice while I had them.

And hey! Yours are blooming. Mine never did. They like you better!

Donna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America