Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: An ode to....

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 8, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 6, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6650390

I was doing my weekly shopping yesterday which involves a drive on a major highway to a nearby town. It's a nice drive, with slopes on either side where native plants grow. At different times of the year, the hills turn bright with wildflowers, blue with Ceanothus (our Mountain Lilac), etc.

Yesterday I realized the Eriogonum (buckwheat) was in full bloom. I have a thing about buckwheat - it's an underrated plant in my opinion. And to see it covering the roadside as I did yesterday, I wished I was a writer so I could describe it. Hence the title of this thread.

We have buckwheat growing naturally on our property that thankfully disguises some ugly (to me) cactus each spring. Also, we have a St Catherine's lace (Eriogonum giganteum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59548/) that is one of my favorite plants. When it blooms I will post a picture - right now she is sneaking up on us, getting ready to knock our eyes out.

What do you see in your neighborhood or on the highways and byways that make you sigh or want to jump for joy or grab someone and say, "Isn't that beautiful?"

Kathleen
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6650587

Ahhhh, Kathleen, you always show us plants that make me sigh, if only they would grow in my world. How very pretty.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 6, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6650611

Glad you like it, Sharon. The first time I saw the full cycle of St Catherine's lace, I thought someone had switched plants on us, really. There are lots of buckwheats - are you sure none will grow in your little spot of heaven? What rocks your world?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6650685

I am looking frantically to see if anything like it grows here. No luck so far. Right now the old fashioned wild ditch lilies are in full bloom, so it's an orange world along many country roads. Along the interstates red poppies spring up as if overnight, beautiful, but not native. (Well designed though, by the KDOT landscapers, :) )

I think we always take great delight in what we can't have.

Wild honeysuckle is everywhere, too, and some in reds and oranges are wonderful, with a few yellows and whites mixed in. Not many people like their choking vines, but their scent and beauty is lovely to me.

Hydrangeas are good, too right now.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 6, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6651249

I love red poppies. Our orange ones are beautiful, especially when a hillside is covered with them, but as you say...what we don't have. :-)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6651423

The older I get the more I find myself obsessed with illusive things...things I can't possibly get to grow here. But I try, then feel like I murdered them when they meet their demise.
I need to quit thinking I'm magic.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6651949

But here after 2 years is a crazy success story. It is very hot, very dry, for about 4 months of the year here. Things might get started, but never last long even with babying. These hollyhocks were started from seed in April 07. Didn't do a thing that year. The second year they came up for the first time in April, had one bloom about 2 inches above ground, and I thought they were miniatures, died back in May with only the one bloom. This year there are about 8 stalks, white, 2 shades of pink, 2 shades of rose and a lovely lavender. They are much taller than I am, so over 5 feet. And I thought I had lost them after that first year.
It's always a surprise around here.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 7, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6652311

Yes, I've had a few of those surprises. Hot and dry 4 months of the year but zone 6, wow, I had no idea.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6652495

Much closer to zone 7, and in fact 10 miles down the road it is zoned 7, where Melody lives. We are very close to Nashville, just a little farther west, and slightly north.
And of course our weather patterns are changing, as are those in a lot of places.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America