Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: Question Regarding Berry Farms.

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 5, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wheatnbarley
Wharton, NJ

June 6, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6650431

Could anyone tell me how one would go about turning their property into a Berry picking farm if it was never one in the past. I purchased an old home in NJ and it has about three acres of Blueberry, rasberry, etc bushes that the previous owner planted as a hobbie. I thought I'd let the local community come in and pick from the bushes for a small fee. Is this possible?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6652033

There is a blueberry farm in this area that allows the customer to pick their own or the owners will sell picked berries for a higher price. It has been a few years since I went out there and don't remember the pricing structure but they sold berries by weight. I suspect you would lose some to the pickers as they probably would sample as they picked.

Just a couple of thoughts...
I wonder if there would be a need for liability insurance should someone be injured on your property.
You might check with the state and see if NJ requires any licenses or permits.
Does your state require sales tax collected on food products? If so, you would need a sales tax permit also.
Perhaps they would give agricultural breaks on your property taxes.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6667718

wheat i would check into a CSA program if there is one around you. You could offer them that way maybe ? and not have to worry about Gov regulations . I don't know much about all that stuff. I would also check into the Farmers Market forum here at DG .Lots of great info from them folks also . They could direct you . ")
i google CSA and found some in my area. They were very helpful . I m sure some would be more than willing to share there knowledge :)
good luck
man o man i m jealous of your blue berries !!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6667856

Taynors ~ nonsubscribers can't access that forum. Why don't you post a link on that forum and see if any of the market growers will come over here?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6673750

ok
will do
:)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6688738

Is there a farmer's market near you that you could sell your fruit and products made from your fruit?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America