What is this surrounding a bud?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's almost like a cage .. does it have a purpose? This is my first year growing passiflora so I am unfamiliar with it's parts.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

is that a may pop passion flower? Paul

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I dunno .. it's a passion flower, I planted 5 different species from seed and when I repotted I got them all mixed up. I can't wait to see your Lady Margaret cross. I guess I'll know what's what when they start to bloom.

I just thought this was an amazing structure .. almost looks like it has structures like a carnivorous plant. I haven't seen ants all over so I'm sure it is not EFN's (extra floral nectary).

X

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i belive its love in the mist

That is an excellent close-up photo Zeramtheum! I looked this species up (P. foetida), and the bulbs on the ends of the hairs are scent glands that supposedly give off a noxious smell when touched. Maybe they protect the bud from being eaten by catepillars?

Mark

noonamah, Australia

It is definitely P foetida, an invasive weed in our area, The fruits are very thin skinned and are eaten by birds. The seeds go straight through their system and are passed out all over the place. The lacy structure persists around the fruit until after it ripens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.