Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hydrangeas: Coffee, Tea, or ?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 5, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6653343

Does anyone use coffee grounds or tea bags for hydrangeas? I assume they would cause the soil to be acidic so would produce blue flowers, am I correct? Will tea bags decompose or do they all have to be opened? I have heard of people using coffee grounds for roses but never for other plants.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6653563

You can certainly use those as amendments if you want, any organic material is always good for plants. But at least in the case of coffee (and I suspect it would be the same for tea) most of the acidity comes out during the brewing process, so if you currently have alkaline soil and pink blooms, you're not going to get blue from using coffee grounds.
confussedlady
Columbus, OH

June 7, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6654044

My hydrangea is loaded with blooms which are going to be pink. Is it too late for this season to change the color to blue?
Thanks'
confussedlady
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #6662510

You need to acidify in the spring and fall but it takes a little time for the color to change. If you have endless summer or another that blooms on new wood later you may get some change.

I didn't treat this year and mine are purple rather than deeper blue so next fall and spring I need to acidify. Personally I enjoy the blooms regardless of color.

If you treat them try this:

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/pdf/products/Esp_Soil_acidif.pdf

I am a huge fan of their products.
confussedlady
Columbus, OH

June 9, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6664013

Thanks Bookreader, I have an endless summer, so I am going to apply
the epsoma. Maybe I will get some blue as you said on my old growth.
I am also happy to have the pink for now. I suppose if it wern't for all the kind members of DG my plant would be dead. thanks again

confussedlady
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 10, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6667560

I just posted a thread about the Color Me Blue product from the ES folks. Have you heard of this product or it's success? Like I mentioned in the thread, I have heard horror stories about Aluminum sulphate burning up the root system. And I don't want to kill my new Twist and Shout hydr. - I haven't planted it yet. thanks for any info.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America