-
AuthorContent
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #6657107

One of my trumpet vines is at least 7 yrs old. It was here when I bought my home- it has never grown nor has it bloomed. It is in full sun so I'm not sure what's up with that, maybe the soil. Anyway, this year it looks terrible. I actually wasn't even certain it was a trumpet vine as I have others and this one looks somewhat different. It was ID'd in the Plant ID forum and I was informed it must have some herbicide damage or disease. I don't use herbicide so I'm wondering if it is a disease or infestation. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by MTnic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #6657120

MT - I'm not sure what that plant it, but it isn't a Trumpet Vine like the ones I've grown - google Campsis radicans and you'll see that the vine can grow 20 to 30 feet in height and it's a very tough and aggressive grower. I can't see the leaves in the photo you posted, but they don't seem to resemble a Trumpet Vine...can you post another photo of the leaves, preferably showing an entire stem?
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2009
4:57 AM

Post #6657142

Sure, I will try this one, there isn't much to take a picture of actually. I never thought it was a trumpet vine as I have several and they look different. All of them, however; are slow to modest in growth and never have any of them bloomed. I have them all in different areas. I noticed one of my newer ones- from last year looks a bit like this pathetic one today, it was looking OK until lately. One of them looks really good, but still nothing near the 20-30 ft. prediction. I know these others are actually campsis radicans as I am the one who purchased them- unless they weren't labeled correctly.

Thumbnail by MTnic

MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6657176

Here is a picture I just took, hopefully you are able to see it better.

Thumbnail by MTnic

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6658092

Looks like somebody's been chewing on the leaves...hard to say what though, I'd suggest going out there at various times of day (including late evening/early morning if you can) and see if you can catch whatever it is in the act, then it'll be easier to figure out what to do about it.
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6658297

That is what I think is happening as well. I went out late last night as well as early this morning and again just a little while ago, I have yet to catch anything nibbling. Do rabbits like trumpetvine? It isn't deer, this is in the only area of my yard that happens to be deer proof. Or is it more likely an insect of some sort?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6659399

The damage to the leaves themselves looks like insects. In a couple of the pictures it looks like some branches may have been chewed off too, that could be deer/rabbits but the leaves definitely look like insects (or maybe snail/slugs)
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6659592

I just saw my first slug last week and now I've unfortunately seen 4 of them. I now kill them with salt just to watch them die. Isn't that mean? They are SO gross. YUCK. Is making slug traps the best way to deal with them? I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way I can go slug hunting in the evenings, they creep me out. Is there something I should spray on them? It is odd I'm having this problem now after 7 years of not seeing any slugs. EEEEEEW.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6661080

They sell slug baits made with iron phosphate (Sluggo is one common brand but there are others), those will work on the slugs. If you have pets definitely avoid things with metaldehyde as the active since it's very toxic to pets. Just sprinkle the iron phosphate around the plants and that should take care of them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America