Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Introduction to Agaves: Cutting the stem on Agaves?

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Agaves
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to AgavesReplies: 6, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bruceged
Sydney
Australia

June 8, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6657442

Hi,

I have had a couple of Agave's in pots for several years, they are going fine but the stem is outgrowing the pot and im wondering if its possible to replant them in another bigger pot or perhaps in the ground, also is it ok to cut the stem above the roots, or will that kill them?

Thanks
Bruce

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6658181

Do you mean a rhizome is growing out of the pot, or the actual trunk of the agave itself? You can easily repot Agaves- they are quite tolerant (in most cases) of root abuse. But if you cut off the head that might be a bit much for some, though you might be able to reroot it.
bruceged
Sydney
Australia

June 9, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #6662129

Hi Palmbob,

Sorry I'm a bit of a novice at plants but am learning and enjoying my new garden.

What I meant was that the trunk is getting so long that the plant is becoming top heavy in the pot and is likely to fall over soon.

I would like to put the plant in another pot but i would need to cut the trunk above the soil line and also above where the roots currently are. If I cut the trunk there would still be about 1-2 foot of trunk left before the head of the plant but there are no roots currently growing on that part of the trunk.

Will it re-sprout new roots or will I kill it if I do this?

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards
Bruce

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 12:46 AM
bruceged
Sydney
Australia

June 9, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #6662130

Hi Palmbob,

Sorry I'm a bit of a novice at plants but am learning and enjoying my new garden.

What I meant was that the trunk is getting so long that the plant is becoming top heavy in the pot and is likely to fall over soon.

I would like to put the plant in another pot but i would need to cut the trunk above the soil line and also above where the roots currently are. If I cut the trunk there would still be about 1-2 foot of trunk left before the head of the plant but there are no roots currently growing on that part of the trunk.

Will it re-sprout new roots or will I kill it if I do this?

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards
Bruce

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 12:47 AM

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #6662160

OK, I need either a photo or an ID... only Agave I can think of that will even grow a trunk like your are talking about is Agave attenuata... if that is it, then you can cut it off at the base without any roots at all, and it should regrow roots fairly readily in a new pot... but I would probably cut it a bit closer to the leaves or it will rapidly become top heavy again... leave maybe 12" to 16" of trunk and bury nearly all of it in the soil. dont water right away (wait 1-2 weeks).
bruceged
Sydney
Australia

June 9, 2009
9:45 AM

Post #6662388

Yes, it is Agave attentua, just confirmed with the pics on here!!

Thanks heaps, will take your advice and cut the trunk with a hack-saw i suppose. Its just coming into winter here in Australia, hope that doesn't make a difference to the outcome?

Anyway, thanks again, had those two Agave's for a while and I want to keep them but they were becoming an eyesore and unbalanced. Will look much better when 2 foot shorter.

Cheers
Bruce
Mugz
Gosford
Australia

August 9, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #8028328

Hi
Came online searching for information about cutting off the long stem and if the Agave would reroot and survive. Bruceged, can you tell me if it worked please?
Thanks
Mugz

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Agaves Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And what an obsession it is! podster 11 Oct 20, 2007 1:16 AM
podster and palmbob ceeadsalaskazone3 0 Oct 19, 2007 1:23 PM
great article-thanks dreamingflowers 5 Dec 7, 2012 9:26 PM
Thx from a Newbie - ? Agaves vs Yucca ? HoustonRick 1 Oct 22, 2007 7:32 PM
Plant names, genus effjayy101 1 Jun 1, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America