Photo by Melody

Article: Mountain-ash - A multifaceted Tree: Great article Todd!

Communities > Forums > Article: Mountain-ash - A multifaceted Tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mountain-ash - A multifaceted TreeReplies: 4, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6657562

Thanks for a wonderful article Todd :-) Rowans are very popular garden trees here, S. aucuparia is native and the most widely grown species, but S. kashmeriana and what was beleived to be S. koehneana (has now been identified as S. frutescens) have become very popular in the last 10 -15 years or so. They are both wonderful garden trees. I'm growing several species from seed, among them S. wilmorini, S. matsumurata, S. khumbuensis, S. rhederiana and S. rosea. I collected seed last fall from a species with yellow fruit in the Botanical garden in Reykjavík but it was an unidentified species so I don't know the name of it. The seeds of S. bizetti haven't sprouted yet, I really do hope they do next spring, it has such wonderful colored berries ... I also have S. commixta which has brilliant red fall foliage. I hadn't heard that the non-pinnate leaved species had been split from the Sorbus genus ... they're still named Sorbus here ... I have grown S. mougeotii and S. x ambigua from seed, they're both very small. S. intermedia and S. hostii are also widely grown here. Do you know what genus they belong to now? Of the american species, they're relatively new introductions here, both S. americana and S. decora thrive well here ... if I had the room I'd grow them both ;-) I saw a spectacular specimen of S. americana growing outside one of the garden centers here ... brilliant fall colour. I think S. sitchensis and S. scopulina both grow in the botanical garden in Reykjavik. Of the two small species I had S. reducta but it was trampled to death ... lol Haven't seen it for sale since, but when I do I'll get a new on for sure. S. poteriifolia grows in the Reykjavik botanical garden (which has an excelent collection of Rowans) but I haven't been able to find seed of it yet ... I want that one REALLY bad! lol Another interesting species is S. lancifolia which has very unusally shaped leaves ... probably a different genus now ?

Thanks again for a great article! :-)

Sorbus frutescens in full fall glory :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6660415

Hey Rann, I'm heading out of town tomorrow but I'll get back to you in regards to the recent name changes. I am growing a bunch of Sorbus from seed as well...they are at our BG so I'll make a list next week. I don't think we have as many as you! I have several S. rosea up now...they actually came as seed from your BG! Small world! So far, I love the foliage of S. sambucifolia the best...my plant is only 2 two years old but the foliage is exquisite. Again, I'll get pics later. Stay tuned!

By the way, I think all the koehniana (aka frutescens) being grown originated from one plant located in a BG in Sweden I think.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6660569

Thanks Todd - looking forward to the info and pics :-) Have a good trip! It IS a small world! That's pretty funny about the S. rosea ... my seedlings are from berries I picked in the BG. So we have plants from the same tree ;-) lol I'd read that about the S. koehniana mix-up ... also read that the real S. koehniana is grown in Britain.

Rann
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6660663

Rann that picture is fantastic!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
7:48 AM

Post #6662320

plutodrive - thank you - it's a pretty fantastic subject ;-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mountain-ash - A multifaceted Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for the article Loon 6 Aug 4, 2010 3:28 PM
MOUNTAIN ASH kaffsmom 1 Jul 8, 2009 9:10 PM
Mountain Ash Tree Cindi10 0 Aug 4, 2010 3:07 PM
Mountain Ash papa1 0 Sep 26, 2011 10:49 AM
Quebec seedling - in New York State delbertyoung56m 0 Nov 10, 2011 4:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America