Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June! Part 2

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 169, Views: 853
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6657647

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/996360/

Everyone is welcome to join in the chat!

Pepper Sounds like you are getting our type of weather. Stay safe in those storms.
Bernie Congrats on the rain!
Celia- LOL! It was labeled Blue Days, but Im getting conflicting info on it, so Im not sure LOL! Ill keep calling it that until I get a formal ID. Besides Callie loves Blue Days! Lovely Columbine seed pod.
Ric Looks like you guys had a great time at the RU! Get those maters in the ground LOL! Thats some gorgeous work she does. What an amazing woman!

73.2 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 70 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 F
Visibility: 6.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 300 ft
Scattered Clouds 7500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy early this morning then partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 85. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Another moss rose

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6657830

Good morning, cloudy and cool here. Unfortunately for Stan's haying, it looks like a very iffy week. We had sprinkles off and on yesterday, and much the same is forecast for today. We are supposed to reach the mid-70s today, yesterday we topped out at just over 70. The warmer weather and bit of moisture will get things growing.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 8, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6658420

Sharon, thanks for the new thread! That's a beautiful moss rose.
Ric, thanks for the explanatios, now I know I have a colocasia...I'm a bit slow, but I finally figured out the difference!LOL
The RU really seems like a family reunion, thanks for sharing! Always nice to see Robyn!
Rann, how are the girls? Did they enjoy the play as much as the movie?
Marylyn, I loved the pics from your cabin, it's such a beautiful place! Too bad you couldn't go this year!
Kelli, lovely shots, like always!
Sally, your garden looks great!
Mau, going to Canada, wow! Have a safe trip! Great you can keep in touch while you are there!
It's been raining today after a HOT day yesterday, 95 for sure! Now the rain has stopped and the sun is shinning. At least is only 90 today.
I have eaten the first strawberries from my garden, they were huge, but only 2!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 8, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6658630

Sharon, I forgot to tell you we are having a staycation...very funny !LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6659163

Kathleen, good luck with the haying. We have iffy weather, too. I think most places around this world of ours is, as well.

Strawberries!!! I can taste them now...mmm...

Sharon, I had moss rose at one time. I loved them. Now, I have to get them again.

Ric, all it takes is a little dedication and a small piece of the world is transformed. If only everyone thought that way.

64.0 F with 72 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I had my appt. this morning and opted for a steroid shot in my lower back. It went well and I drove myself home. It feels pretty good right now. I have a follow-up appt. in 2 weeks.

My Voodoo Lily opened! There are four flowers and the smallest one is first.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6659172

Here's the largest one. It is slightly over 2 ft. tall and will be open in a day or so.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 8, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6659209

Wow, Celia, those are so cool! What was the appt for ? Great it went well! How are you feeling?
It's raining again with thunders and lightnings, but only a shower for now...but the dark cloud seems to bring more!
Sunset yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6659237

Adina, I have bulging discs in my back. The longer I sit here at the computer, the more it's starting to twinge. I think I'll pop in a movie and forget doing anything today.

I love those flowers. They stink like bad meat but so worth it (to me) to have them and that only lasts a day or so for each bloom. Fortunately, they're far enough away from the house not to matter.

Black Mondo Grass and Irish Moss. I like how this combo turned out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6659419

Mostly cloudy today, a few rays of sun this morning. Light breeze and 55F, very pleasant. Pretty much the same yesterday, except it rained yesterday evening.

Sharon - your moss roses are such wonderful colors! So neat that the come back different colors :-)

Adina - thanks for asking. We had a GREAT time at the theater despite the amazingly good weather we were missing! lol The girls absolutely loved it ... Hildur Eva enjoyed the play more than the movie because the play was in Icelandic so she understood every word! lol And the lyrics as well ... It was almost 3 hours and on the way out Hildur Eva asked if we could go again! lol That must mean she liked it a lot. :-) Those strawberries look so yummy! It'll be a month before I'll see any, mine are just starting to flower ... Pretty sunset.

Ric - beautiful flower beds ... hearing about a 75 year "young" woman accomplishing so much is inspiring :-)

Kathleen - hope the weather holds for the hay! Again we're a month behind here ... I don't think farmer's start making hay until the end of June at the earliest ... not that I'm an expert in the field ;-) lol

Celia - the voodoo lily is very cool - but I'm glad I don't have to smell it! lol Very pretty combo indeed.

This just started to flower for the first time - raised from seed last year :-) I'm so excited about it! lol Gentiana bavarica is the name.

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6659545

Good afternoon! Is that Bertie's roadside garden, Ric? It's beautiful!

Ohh... that blue is stunning, Rann! I'm so glad the girls had such a good time at the play. ^_^

Adina, my mouth is watering! Those strawberries look very yummy!!

I finally got the soaker hoses laid out and the vincas planted this morning. By the time I was done, I was very glad to come inside and take a shower - it is hot out there! (My fault... I didn't set an alarm, and we all slept in. I didn't get out there until almost 11, so it was after noon when I was done. I'm sure it was considerably cooler at 8:00 when I SHOULD have been doing the work!) I ran both hoses for some time, but I'll do it again tomorrow since most of the water probably evaporated away before getting to the roots, and then start watering every day, rotating through all of the beds. We are supposed to be hot and dry all week, with no real chances of rain in the near future anyway. It's starting to feel like arid San Antonio here instead of subtropical Houston! I still need to get some more soaker hoses for the beds in the back, but at least the front is done now. I like to keep it looking halfway decent out there, since all of the neighbors can see it. The back always gets left to last. :-)

Charles will be home tonight. Yayyy!! The bunnies and I are going to clean the house and make lots of "Welcome Home, Daddy!" signs. ^_^

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CDT (50 min ago)
Temperature 88 F 31 C My outside thermometer says 93, and I think it's probably right!
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 46%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.7 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH
G 18 10 kts
G 16
Wind Dir S 170
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 91 F 33 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 72.0F / 22.2C
6 hour max temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 90.0F / 32.2C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 8, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6660192

Kathleen, thank you for the link, my tree is definately a Tiger eye sumac ! I knew you guys were the best!
I have Gaillardia too!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6660413

Kathleen I hope you guys can get some haying done this week.
Adina 95* you are hotter than we are! Those strawberries look yummy! Id have eaten them too LOL! Staycations are in because no one can afford to do anything! I received an invitation to my 30th (whimper) HS reunion in England. Can you make it? No I cant make it LOL! That costs money!
Celia- I am hooked on the moss roses LOL! Glad your back is better. I cant imagine getting a shot in my back. Beautiful voodoo lily! I remember last year you said they smell pretty bad LOL!
Adina Beautiful sky pic!
Celia I like how that combo turned out too
Rann Im glad you and the girls had such a great time seeing the play! It just came through Jacksonville too. WOW! That is a gorgeous blue bloom!
Marylyn I feel your pain about the heat. I have to work in the yard early or late. I know you and the girls are glad Charles is coming home tonight. Special dinner planned?
Adina Pretty gaillardia! Mine are finished blooming for the season (I guess).

I saw a hummer today so I made some more nectar for them. Maybe Ill start seeing them again. Ive been hearing thunder for about an hour, but no rain yet.

Im having issues with this lawn. The ground is so soft and uneven. The outside chairs and table, the plant stands, everything sinks about an inch. Its very frustrating. I stand on the ladder and it sinks about 3. Whats the use of having a ladder I ask LOL! I was so frustrated yesterday that I started fussing about it and a neighbor heard me. I was a little embarrased because I was alone at the time.

77.7 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 66 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the SW
Pressure: 29.95 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 80 F
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Through 630 PM...scattered showers and a few thunderstorms will continue with the heaviest activity moving into Fernandina Beach...Yulee... Crescent Beach...Palatka and Alachua. The showers will move southeast at 15 miles an hour. Heavy rainfall should be expected with the thunderstorms.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 67. South winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest 5 mph after midnight.

Zinnia

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6660445

I tried growing gaillardia and they didn't survive. I don't know if it was too dry or not enough sun, or what. The same with echinacea.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 08, 2009
69 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 8 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.87 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

more pictures from Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6660456

poison oak turning red - It is "fall" (end of the growing season) for a lot of the wild plants.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6660462

pitcher sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6660464

yellow mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6660474

"Fussing" about it? Or "cussing" about it? LOL

My god-grand-daughter Kassidy's B-Day is Saturday and Grandma CJ has been invited to her BBQ!!! Darrell and I will be going. Hopefully, it won't rain on her party.

I love the Gaillardias. So pretty. I have one out there that is more yellow. Lemons and ...? Maybe. I think Mau has one. Mine is just one bloom, though, so far.

Marylyn, I forgot to say YIPPEE on your man coming home!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6660789

67*F ~ mostly sunny.
We had a great time down in Seward. It's about 180 miles SE of here and being on Resurrection Bay, is a beautiful change from the valley here in Palmer. The bay is surrounded with mountains on 3 sides; they begin at sea-level and go straight up; some have hanging glaciers to add to the beauty of the area. Met another DG'er while there and it was very nice.
Way too far behind today for comments; but did read and follow the new thread here, thanks, Sharon. The moss rose is beautiful.
RV park/Seward, Alaska

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6661556

Well we have some hail damage to our vehicles. My mom has a ton of dents just on the hood alone and one dent broke the paint. I also have a ton of dents on mine and will get it fixed hopefully in a few weeks. We have some damage to the roof vents for sure though not sure how bad total roof damage is yet. Some people who live in my area have to have the whole roof replaced and windows replaced because we got some golf ball sized hail at one point. Luckily my plants at work had very little damage. My coworker and I were really relieved. lol

Mostly cloudy and cool today. Hopefully I can get pics downloaded tomorrow of my hail storm.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #6662091

That's awful!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2009
9:55 AM

Post #6662398

Kelli I always enjoy your hiking pics! The mariposa lily is still one of my favs from your area.
Celia Both LOL! Have fun at the party! I can tell you are excited to see her!
Kiska Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good time. Love all those mountains.
Pepper I 2nd Kelli. That is awful. Luckily no one was hurt.

72.1 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 67 F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.92 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 72 F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Patchy early morning fog...otherwise partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. North winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

The Peruvian Daffs are blooming now. Well, it seems only one plant is blooming. I don't think the others made it. Note to buy more next year.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6662937

Good morning!

Cloudy this morning, with slight rain drizzles. Some rain overnight. Light breeze and temp around 45F. Today's high will probably be around 50F. Yes, this is normal for early June ... lol

Marylyn - thanks! I'm sure it was a happy reunion yesterday when your DH got home :-)

Kiska - what a fantastic view! :-) Glad you had a good trip and good to have you back!

Sharon - thanks :-) Beautiful zinnia and peruvian daff - very cool! I had to laugh about your neighbor overhearing you ... is the problem that the "soil" is just sand? I'd be annoyed too.

Kelli - great hiking photos - I always enjoy your hikes immensly.

Pepper - so sorry about the hail damage. How awful. It's hard for me to imagine hail the size of golfballs ... or marbles for that matter, like Ric's hail earlier.

I haven't had time to harvest the rhubard this spring ... it's flowering now ... sigh. I have enough rhubarb jam from last year so I don't really need any more but I still feel like I need to use it so it won't go to waist... The flower stalk is bigger than Hildur Eva! She thought that was pretty cool ... I've never let it flower before so it was quite a novelty to her. lol

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 9, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6663285

49*F Mostly cloudy with clouds descending down to about 1/3 of Pioneer Peak at this point. The past few days have wonderful; 74* a couple of days ago; the highest temp to date, and was waay too hot for many of us.
Pepper~so sorry about all the hail damage, just can't imagine that; the noise must be overwhelming.
kelli~so nice to see where your hiking takes us all. Always pretty and, informative, too.
MySharona~That's the first Peruivian daffodil I've seen; reminds me of a gangly teenager:))
rann~Hildur Eva looks so pretty there with rhubarb. I'll be harvesting much the same rhubarb today.
Family/friends a few days ago; Seward, Alaska.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6663548

Great pics, Kiska. What's that in the background of your last shot? The metal structure?

Don't have time for many comments, my alcoholic brother is coming by today. He stops by on his way home from his AA meetings about twice a week. It helps him and it helps ME keep my house clean. LOL

59.6 F with 68 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 29.87 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7500 ft
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Baby robin waiting for parents to rescue him from the big, bad lady with the camera.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6664164

82 and pop up T-Storms are popping.

Just got done pruning a 30' rose back.
In getting gauze and ... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6664604

Ric - rose bites! Oh do I know that story.

It's lovely here today after a cloudy morning the sky cleared, the humidity lifted and the breeze blew. A lot of guys were mowing, but most are still putting hay in the silos. Stan's going to wait for more than a day and a half of dry weather at a time before he mows baling hay. He's been catching up on things that need caught up.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6664722

Sharon, mariposa lilies are among my favorites, too.

It's incredible how many days in a row have been cloudy and cool (not hot). It's 70F in the house now, which for me is really chilly, but I refuse to turn on the furnace.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 09, 2009
62 F
Overcast
Humidity: 72%
Wind: 8 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
Clouds: Overcast 2000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

still more goodies from Saturday - wild rose

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6664726

gum plant

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6664729

yucca

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6664733

It took years, but I finally learned to find beauty in the dead grass.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6666225

I'm partial to Yucca.
We're growing 6 of them here at the house.
LOVE the flowers.

77 and 62% Humidity nice 8-10 MPH Breeze is keeping most of the Skeeters at bay.

Kelli I'm now 100% sure that cactus I sent you is Opuntia humifusa.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 10, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6666287

kelli~ the dead grass gives the "Golden State" of California a beautiful nickname.
ric~sounds as if you have battle scars after today's rose trimmings.
kwanjin~it's a conveyer belt used to load coal from the train, onto the ships. The baby robin is sure cute.
kathleen~busy time there; how much land do you harvest?
6pm and 64*.
Sunny and bright for unending hours of daylight.
24 hours daylight - goes on on on~~~love it.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 10, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6666292

ric~that yellow is as pretty a shade of yellow as I've ever seen.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #6666332

Yeah the rose is about 30% smaller.
I cut off or rehung almost all of the wind blown canes.
It looks bare when you look out the window now.
But that will regrow... and I'll regrow skin... and about a quart of blood...lol!
Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I had cut 4 large 20' canes on Friday and took them to the RU.

Here's the new nesting spot in the former dog run.

The area near left and a wooden walkway will be addressed tomorrow.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6666354

In a few days kiska I'll have a clutch of them to show you.
That's shot in full sun and usually that bleeds yellows out.
I agree a perfect yellow.

Here's the backside

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6666369

And another angle showing the North wall

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6666693

Ok, it's still raining here. Still some storms in the area. Tomorrow, same thing. My dad checke the roof today and there was no damage so we got lucky there. We think the trees lessened the impact of the hail.

We had some heavy downpours today and at one point strong straight line winds. Had to take all the plants off the rails at work and put them on the ground. We were freezing by the time we got done cause it was COLD!!! On the way home from meeting my brother tonight we looked north and saw a lowering of the clouds. But it wasn't rotating and it went back up. We drove around and looked at fields which are saturated and full of standing water and once again crops are ruined this year. Getting a little late in the season to plant crops and still expect a decent harvest.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2009
10:02 AM

Post #6667421

Rann The lawn at the other house wasnt like this. It was more solid. This lawn is all soft sand in the back yard. The front is ok. Look how tall Hildur Eva is now! Ive never seen rhubarb bloom, very pretty.
Kiska That is a beautiful picture!
Celia- Did you have a good time with your brother? Cute pic of the young robin.
Ric Gorgeous picture! LOL at the roses!
Kathleen Your temps are perfect for me!
Kelli That is cool for you. Enjoy it while you can! Love that wild rose
Ric I agree that is a beautiful shade of yellow! The old dog run looks great. What kind of epi is that?
Pepper How much rain have yall had? Im glad there was not damage to the roof and that there wasnt a tornado.

74.8 F
Clear
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 66 F
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. High 92. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

Painted Lady Hibiscus bud.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6667511

Good morning!

Partly cloudy, light breeze and temp. around 50F.

Selma's last day of school was yesterday :-) We went this morning to get the grades and now she's officially on summer vacation (which means I'm also officially on summer vacation!) :-) And the alarm will get a vacation as well - we're sleeping in tomorrow! lol :-) Finally!

Ric- wonderful yellow bloom on that cactus :-) And your former dog run area is looking good! LOL at the rose battle - now that's something I can identify with!

Kelli- I like the golden color of that dead grass too :-) Beautiful landscape!

Celia - very cute Robin :-)

Kiska - looks like you had a great time!

Well the sun is out - so I better get out there and enjoy it!

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6667950

T-Storms have been rumbling thru here since about 7:30 AM. So 2 hours now.
No winds just rain and rumble.
We need the rain for the containers... the ground not so much...lol!

Pepper I'm sorry I missed your Hail Saga :-(.
We had damage like that years back.
In fact we were driving home from work when it hit.
It was like traveling thru a driving range at a golf course.
I though the windshield was going to implode.
Glad you all are OK.

Celia Cool Voodoos!
Stinky Cool!
Love the Irish Moss/Black Mondo combo.
We have both ...I will be stealing that idea lol!

Rann that's a lovely little Gentiana bavarica.
The Alpines don't do well here...
we have a few of the hardier ones that can take the Summer heat though.

Gotta get some strawberries going... I just keep forgetting.
Adina RU's ARE like Family Reunions...where you get to pick your Family ;-)
We're lucky most everyone gets along GREAT here.
What variety is that Gaillardia?

Marylyn that's the opening view of the Garden Tour.
Bertie has a very formal entrance...brick column walls.
I'll DMail you some more from her place.

Our new little buddy.
FROG ALERT!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6667984

FROG ALERT!

Rana clamitans melanota (Northern Green Frog)

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6668454

I hate getting a long post written and then bumping the wrong button...

(sigh) The visit with DB went well. We went furniture shopping for him after lunch then phone shopping for me. I found one I like but will have to wait before getting it.

Ric, steal away!!! I must say, I really like the black mondo. I think I need more. I have them in various light and they are all doing just fine.

Sharon, I knew that was Blue Days. I'm such a dork. lol

61.5 F with 68 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 2.0 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.85 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Castor bean.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6670530

Ric, your yard is looking good. Your cactus looks like the one my mom and dad have. I call it the Pennsylvania cactus and I like that name for the seeming irony.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on June 10, 2009
67 F
Overcast
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 52 F
Wind: 6 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3200 ft
Overcast 4500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

We went on a rigourous hike today. We went down into this canyon, up over the ridge you see to the next canyon, up that for two miles, then back over to this one and back to where we started - 7 miles.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6670537

a million subtle colors

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6670547

narrow leaf milkweed

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6670554

Santa Barbara locoweed - What could be more western than that?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6670562

California honeysuckle - no fragrance :-(

(There's better stuff coming in the next allotment of pictures.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6670762

Kelli I notice as the season progresses the colors on the blooms appear to be more muted.
There's still a pretty good selection it appears.

The true name of that cactus is Opuntia humifusa (Raf.) Raf. (Orange Form)...lol!
I've seen it called Pennsylvania and Carolina Cactus.
Devil's Tongue and Eastern Prickly Pear are the usual names
It will be interesting to see how it handles the winters out there.
In form it never gets very tall that I've ever seen but is that because of winter die back? We'll see.

We had a bunch of rain, but a nice slow steady one from 7-4 today.
Lots of rumble till about noon.
We decided to head to Lowe's for some decking that we're going to install betwen the Hot Tub and the Back Door.
Got it precut... they charge now but only $0.25 a cut so not bad.
The $2.25 we spent will save at least an hour or more.
We'll be decking tomorrow.

Ric

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6671048

I saw 34 different kinds of flowers today, so yes, they are still out there. I don't know how they do it.

Pennsylvania cactus is just a name that I made up. My parents have had them since before 1982. If they can take it there (zone 5b or 6a), they should be able to handle it where you are.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2009 6:33 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6671301

Hot and humid today. Misty this morning then just cloudy and muggy all day. Plants are looking a bit beat up at work from the rain but hopefully we will get a break and they will perk up.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6671343

Rainy, rainy, rainy.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6671662

flood watch
national weather service wilmington oh
1023 pm edt wed jun 10 2009

...flooding possible late tonight through thursday evening...

.a moist environment combined with a stationary front in the ohio
valley and a series of upper level disturbances will bring
periods of thunderstorms with heavy rain to the area. the
potential exists for thunderstorms to move repeatedly over the
same areas and produce heavy rain and flooding late tonight
through thursday evening.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6671675

I'm thinking ark supplies...
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2009
9:35 AM

Post #6672176

Good morning!

Mostly cloudy this morning, light breeze and high around 50F today.

The girls and I will be going nursery hopping "east of the mountain" as we call it, to the town of Hverageri. I'm planning on bringing some plants back with us ... how many remains to be seen ;-) lol

Ric and Celia - hope you won't float away! lol

Celia - great photo of the Robin :-)

Kelli - GREAT hiking photos ... unusual to see overcast skies in your photos.

Have a great day!

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6672601

51.4 F with 65 for the high. And, surprise, rain.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 49 F
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Scattered Clouds 3200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6672623

Good morning! It's going to be in the upper 90s today, with still no chance of rain. A friend gave me a bunch of gingers and other tropical plants. I need to get them in the ground this morning, after Joy's recreational therapist comes. In the meantime, I need to uncover the dining room table where they usually do their thing. The dining room is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door, and it gets covered in whatever we happen to be holding in our hands at the time. The bunnies and I have been spending a lot of time at church this week, helping get sets and props ready for vacation Bible school. (Well, I've been helping. They've been playing with friends and having a great time. ^_^ )

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (39 min ago)
Temperature 79 F 26 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 29.88 in 1011.9 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 84 F 29 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
Remarks No remarks this hour.6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 79.0F / 26.1C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6672624

Ric Ive never seen that type of frog. Interesting flats spots next to its eyes.
Kelli Thats a nice long hike! I love those gates in the first picture.
Celia Cute Robin!
Ric You might want to use that wood from Lowes to build an Ark!
Rann - Enjoy the shopping trip! Sounds like fun!
Celia Thats a neat what is it?

80.5 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 72 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the WNW
Pressure: 29.84 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 85 F
Visibility: 6.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon.

It's already 80* - yes that was a whine.

Brug is getting ready to burst. I have 7 buds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6672635

It's a spent gaillardia, Sharon.

Marylyn, all our flat surfaces are the same! LOL "I'll just put this here."
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6672835

Sharon the flat spots are tympanum.
They are the frog's ears.
I noticed our Brugmansia 'Yellow Whiskers' has set but here.
It was given to me by Marcy.

Still under a Flood Watch... though we can't flood here w/o Noah conditions...lol!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6673151

Hi, everyone! Here I am in Canada and having a great time! The weather has been unseasonably cool--even for Canada in June. On Tuesday the high was just 56 F. We went to Niagara Falls yesterday-absolutely awesome!! I will have lots of photos to share with you when I get back home! Gotta go--we are off to a Mennonite "flea market" in a few minutes.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6673541

I'll be in the arch too!LOL It started to rain and it's supposed to rain a lot with all the dark clouds arround.
Celia, I always copy the text I wrote then hit send...if it doesn't work at least I didn't loose the post and I can try again!LOL
I'm trying to catch up with you. I've been busy pulling weeds, yuck! But at least I cleared the flower beds where I sowed seeds. Many of them haven't popped up yet.
I have a few pics to show you what happened in my garden lately.
The bedflowers are clean of grass.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6673739

Mau, that's wonderful! Have a nice trip!
Sharon, your beautiful brug! I'll try to have one from seeds again, it never worked before.
Ric, I love your new buddy! I have one too, a butterfly!LOL
One more from my garden, zinnias .

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6673752

Balsaminas impatiens.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6673757

Sunflowers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6673770

Ooops, those are still zinnias when I transplanted them, sorry! Let's try again with sunflowers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6673802

Some blooms...petunias.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6673811

Gaillardia.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6673815

Hibiscus.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6673819

This is looking great! I can't wait to see the whole thing!!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6673842

Thanks, Celia!
I also have wild poppies in the garden and I decided to keep them. You can see how the path I made looks like now.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6673843

[quote]I need to uncover the dining room table [/quote]
Sounds just like El Rancho Kelli. It must be genetic and skips a generation. My grandma and aunt were just like that. My mom is not. We're all packrats, but my mom is pretty neat about it.

Bible School and Niagara Falls - Ahh... joyful things from my childhood.

Celia - flowers from other planets? ;-)

Incredibly the same as it has been

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on June 11, 2009
63 F
Overcast
Humidity: 70%
Wind: 5 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2000 ft
Overcast 2900 ft
(Above Ground Level)

purple sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6673851

The yard looks great, Adina. Will any of those plants survive the winter?

moth mullein - It is considered a weed but I like it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6673866

Do you know the song "Ghost Riders in the Sky"?

"An old cowboy went riding out one dark and windy day.
Upon a ridge he rested as he went along his way.
When all at once a mighty herd of red-eyed cows he saw,
Plowing through the ragged skies, and up the cloudy draw...
...A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through the sky
For he saw the riders coming hard and he heard their mournful cry.
Yippie-i-oh, yippie-i-ay - ghost riders in the sky..."

If that was a real story, it might have happened in a place like this.

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6673869

Kelli, I was just going to post a salvia, almost same color. Our sage on the field is blue, I have to take a picture of it.
This Salvia pratensis, the wild salvia grows on the field and I decided to take one inside the garden, it'll look great with the poppies and colombines.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 2:05 PM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6673879

Your wild sage kind of looks like what we have here called hedge nettle, but it has smaller white flowers.

fleabane aster - This one is more purple than usual.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6673888

prickly poppy - I don't recall ever seeing these before.

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6673941

Kelli, those are so beautiful! Only Gaillardia is a perennial, but I also have hosta, orange daylily, 2 roses, mums and snapdragon.
Another bloom of the spaghetti squash.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6673981

R-A-I-N
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 11, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6674525

51* overcast ~
ric~loved the "dog run" and the pavers/flowers and tour. Very nice.
kelli~Ghost Riders in the Sky is a perfect title for the photo. Loved the series, too.
Adina~lots going on there; have a great time.
marsue~seems you're also having a great time in Canada. Would love to see Niagra Falls someday.
Dyson~ raining; (not dark?) too?
pepper~what a mess of weather going on there.
Rann~have a great summer vacation and enjoy time w/out the alarm:)
After emptying a bottle of soap, these soap bubble cells remained.

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6674754

Thanks, Kiska! Cool picture!
Some poppies and wild camomille.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6675678

Lots of great photos :-)

Marsue - looking forward to the vacation shots! Glad you're having a good time!

Kelli - love the ghost rider shot :-)

Adina - love seeing the progress in your garden - great looking plants :-)

OK, I decided to try making a video of our little road trip today ... here's the first clip - hope the link works! Sorry about the loud music, the girls don't listen to much other than Eurovision songs these days ;-) lol You can turn the volume down if it gets too much ;-) The first clip takes us a short distance leaving my hometown Hafnarfjrur behind and driving through the neighboring town of Garabr towards Reykjavk. The music is Aserbaijan's entry in Eurovision 2009 ;-) http://www.dropshots.com/ranny#date/2009-06-11/13:40:34

Rann
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6675827

I love it, Rann - very interesting. The music fits, too. It looks like CA in a way. We have a lot of pine trees along the freeways in places. The buildings look totally different, though.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6675917

Cool Rann. Thanks!
I agree Keel. It does have a CA feel.

Adina you've done Wonders!
Great choice saving the Poppies and that Hibiscus works well of off you house color.
It will be VERY colorful there in a month or so.

Kell we have a very similar Aster blooming here now.
I've been trying to ID it for a while now.
Are the blooms harder to find now or are there concentrated in areas?
Mullein is basically a weed here too but I always try to leave one for impact.
They are dramatic.

Kiska are you STILL freezing bubbles? lol!

Mau GREAT to hear from you! Enjoy Enjoy!

Well we worked in the drizzle again today.
One more spot and the backyard mud hole will be a thing of the past.

Here's right outside the back door.
The rubber pads are to keep SOME of the mud out of the house.
Also to keep us from falling. It's like walking on ice.

Before

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6675941

And after.
Still have a little bit of trim left but

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6675984

NO RAIN!!! We had a few drops here and there and threatening clouds but nothing happened. I was at my old job volunteering in the garden and it's pretty wet there. But it makes it easy to pull weeds with out tools. Even dandelions were pulling out with very little effort.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6676011

54*F ~ low clouds/overcast.
loved the video, rann.
ric~looks slippery, too; glad you've nearly finished and look forward to the pics. (bubbles are cool:))
adina~the poppies/camomille are gorgeous.
No darkness tonight, again.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6676024

oops~I missed the "after" pic, ric. Looks beautiful.
Pepper ~ glad the weeding was much easier.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6676085

Ric, the flowers are pretty much done in the grasslands but are still going in the chaparral and to some extent in the woodlands.

scarlet larkspur

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6676093

scarlet bugler - Most of these plants were completely done but it must have been impressive when all the dozens or hundreds of them were blooming.

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 12, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6676094

Beautiful day, about 70 & sunny.
DW waiting for market to open.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6676100

You might remember this one from last year - woolly bluecurls. The blue is not quite as electric looking as it is in the photo.

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 12, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6676102

Hostas for sale.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6676154

They look nice. (Can't grow them, here, though.)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6676204

Looks like your DW needs some coffee.
Good looking Radishes.
Wow Bernie THAT's some Hosta!
Nice job!

Kelli I'd say the Hummers love that Valley!

We just got chased out of the Hot Tub by a T-Storm.
Rain OK...Lightning not so OK :-0

The good news is we raised the Deck so high to eliminate the Door Step that we don't need steps into the Tub any more.
Here's Wu helping out.

Rain's POURING now... Crack BOOM!

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6676475

Here's a video that DH made yesterday. It's very short. http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/travel_and_culture/watch/v18594945gW36GEkK#
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
9:51 AM

Post #6677022

I'm running behind this morning. I'll have to catch up later!

76.5 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 73%
Wind: 3.2 mphfrom the South
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph
Heat Index: 78 F
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. West winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon.

Heat index readings 98 to 102. oh goody

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6677105

Good morning!

Partly cloudy, light breeze and about 52F ... it's not been exactly warm these past days ... still this is normal ... I can't remember what the average temp. for June is but it's somewhere close to 55F.

Glad you liked the video Kelli and Ric :-) Never thought Iceland could look like California though! lol Selma was the videographer on the trip since I was driving ... so that explains the sudden turns of the camera ...lol She was very excited about doing it and tried her best! Sorry the quality of the video isn't better ... don't know if it'd be better on another website ... I didn't want to put the videos on a public website like Youtube.

Bernie - NICE looking Hostas! And I noticed the lables you put on the table - very good! The nurseries I went to yesterday didn't have any lableing on the Hostas ... nurseries here are for the most part not good at keeping track of correct plant names, although some are better than others.

Ric - the new deck looks great!

Sharon - pretty impatiens :-)

Kelli - loved the video! What a neat trail :-)

OK here's the 2nd part ... it's longer almost 6 min, so therefore a bit slower to load on the computer. It starts a short distance from where the other one stopped in Garabr (still the same song playing) and takes us through the town of Kpavogur (past a large mall) to a traffic light between Reykjavk and Kpavogur. Selma had her mp3 player connected to the car radio so you hear her skipping a few songs looking for the Eurovision songs to play ... The first traffic light is on the "border" between Garabr and Kpavogur, the song playing there is Norway's entry (the winnning song this year). You can hear Selma's friend singing along. We turn on a road between the two towns with Kpavogur on the left and Garabr on the right. When we get off the roundabout bridge past the Smralind Mall in Kpavogur she again skips some songs and picks the German song. (Her friend asks when the Greek song comes and Selma tells her to wait! lol) Again you can see the mountain Esja dominating the background a few times ... Hopefully you find it a bit more interesting than Hildur Eva ... she thought it was totally boring! lol
http://www.dropshots.com/ranny#date/2009-06-11/13:46:40

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6677336

Good morning! It's going to be hot and dry here again today. We have company coming tonight, so I'm going to be doing a lot of cleaning. Ugh. LOL I need to turn on a soaker hose or two, too. Joy started sniffing and sneezing on Wednesday, and yesterday I started getting congested, too. I can feel it trying to work its way down to my chest right now... Summer colds - yuck! Hopefully Charles won't get sick; he leaves tomorrow morning for South Korea and it's a LONG plane ride.

I'm going to download your videos and watch them during my first break from cleaning, Rann and Kelli. Something to look forward to. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (55 min ago)
Temperature 77 F 25 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.91 in 1012.9 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir SE 140
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 82 F 28 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 79.0F / 26.1C

Today Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Heat index readings 104 to 107. ugh.
Tonight Mostly clear in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6677435

Marylyn - hope you manage to shake off the cold. I have to say I'm glad to read that my house isn't the only house where every flat surface is covered in stuff that should be somewhere else ;-) lol Hose cleaning is my least favorite thing to do ... the weather is nice today - the sun is out, so there will be very superficial cleaning done here today ;-) lol I need to get some of the plants I bought yesterday in the ground ...

OK, here's the 3rd clip. Through the outskirts of Reykjavk to highway one, which runs in a circle around the country back to Reykjavk. Once out of the city there is a drastic change in vegetation as you'll notice. Again I appologize for the camera shake, zoom and quick turning ... but you'll get the general idea I think. ;-) http://www.dropshots.com/ranny#albums/Trip%20to%20Hverager%F0i/2009-06-11/13:53:32

Have a good day!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6677444

Rann what a pretty scene!
I can see where Hildur Eva would find it boring.
But to people not of the area it gives a good view into the culture there.
The distance shots do indeed remind me of CA around Los Angles in the valleys.
As Kelli said the architecture though is totally wrong.
More like Northern Europe.

Grey, drippy and cool here this morning.
Like gardening in Seattle.
Main rains appears to be over... highs have switched back to the normal low 80's.
After this blanket of clouds burns off I guess.

Sharon w/ heat like that I hunker down w/ that basket!
Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6677939

48*F~~overcast; highs to mid-50's.
"Normal" is usually in the mid-60's; yesterday was below normal with high of 57*F>
CG~the produce looks wonderful; beautifully displayed, bright and clean. Having the carton of eggs open is a great idea.
There are no commercial poultry farms in Alaska; all our eggs are shipped up from Seattle, I, and many others, always open the carton to see how many cracked eggs there'll be.
ric~that's going to be so nice having the deck raised.
rann~like Marylyn, I'll download the next installments and watch this afternoon.
Marylyn, have a good day; once the cleaning is finished, just think how nice it will be to relax. Good trip, too, to Charles.
MySharona~gorgeous, bright basket full of flowers.
kelli~the Wooly Bluecurls are very striking; once more I just have to say I am amazed at the number and variety of wildflowers there. When flying over, it looks as if nothing would be growing in the dry hilly area. I love seeing just how alive it is.
One more of the bubbles.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6678312

I must say, I've had quite the morning. All these wonderful pics to see, the videos to watch, Darrell and I got invited to a car show and a friend of mine got a raise this morning!!! AND THE SUN CAME OUT!!! I was out playing in it earlier.

The videos are great, Rann!!! I loved the tours of your country! So beautiful. And I liked the music. It was fun!

Mau, nice to hear from you! We missed you. I can't wait to hear about your trip.

Ric, that is looking so great! Love the hot tub area. I was looking to put some rubber mats like that in the gh but the kind with holes in it for drainage. Where does one find that?

Marylyn, sorry you and the bunny are sick. I hope Charles doesn't get it, either. So aweful to deal with on a flight. Makes the congestion worse and you can't enjoy the trip.

Kiska, I love those bubbles! LOL

61.0 F with 72 for the high. Very pretty out now. We have mushrooms growing all over the lawn and the ground is very squishy underfoot. More rain coming later.
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Mushrooms. These are everywhere. We usually only get a couple thru the season.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6678326

Sally Holmes rose that is supposed to be white. I hope it changes color when it opens.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6678327

Shasta daisy opening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6678333

This is getting better every day.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6678339

These poor minis had their faces in the mud but they're still pretty.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6678349

Coreopsis 'Moonbeam'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6678353

The purple coneflowers are opening finally.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6679099

Celia - glad you enjoyed it :-) So many pretty blooms!

Ric - thanks! Yeah it was a bit too ordinary for her. And we're not happy about the video quality in the uploaded clips, the camera is much better than that ... just haven't found another site where you can control who watches your videos ... anyone know?

Here's a link to the folder with all the clips from our trip: http://www.dropshots.com/ranny#albums/Trip%20to%20Hverager%F0i

Rann
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6679315

Rann, I love the videos. DH likes them too. He is surprised at how big your cars are. Your second one doesn't look like CA at all. Parts of your third one kind of remind me of Yellowstone. The Eurovision songs are fun, and so it hearing the girls talk. DH says that it sounds like they're speaking Italian. With my camera, the quality of still photos is much, much better than the quality of videos. I guess they have to cut back on quality to get enough frames to make a video of any length.

Marylyn, I hope you all get to feeling better. I'm having allergy problems myself.

Still getting that Alaska weather. I think people are going to start getting cranky if the sun doesn't come out soon.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on June 12, 2009
65 F
Overcast
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 7 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.95 in (Falling)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2300 ft
Overcast 3000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

a lot of rose snapdragon

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6679317

dinosaur

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6679321

perezia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6679323

tarweed

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6679958

Thanks Kelli :-) Glad to hear that and good you didn't mind the music ... I like it too, but I have to listen to it A LOT! lol Pretty flowers and cool lizard! What is it?

There are a total of 7 clips now if anyone has the stamina for it ... first 3 take you out of the city, 2 short clips along the way, one clip driving past the geothermal electric plant and up on the Hellisheii moor with some great views of the lava fields there, and then the last coming down the other side bringing us "east of the mountain" to Hverageri, with some good views along the way. Well they would be if the quality was better. I should have said we filmed this on our camcorder, not camera and watching it in Windows Media Player the quality is much, much better ... it's the website. They compress the files too much ... If you hold the cursor over the thumbnails you get a description of each clip.

Off to bed now.

Rann
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6680024

The lizard is a coast horned lizard.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6680303

Rain - 13 out of the past 17 days have been rainy. Did get Snapshot and Preen down around the place as a preeminent . Need to spray for bugs and spray for grasses but can't until the rain stops. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6680415

Well it 'appears' the rains are over for a while.
Good news is the Green Beans we planted Monday are already up!
Didn't need to soak them Nature did it.

Cool 'Toad' Kelli!
I use to raise them when I was a kid. Mom called them the Meal Worm Monsters.
The perezia looks a lot like a toadlily bloom.
Tarweed what an ugly name for such a beautiful bloom.

Celia you yard is looking lovely!
From the progress on your perennials it looks like we are just about at the same level now.
Next week we should both have a yard full of blooms.

I have two gardens worth of tour uploaded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157619640663888/

Off to the Tub.
Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2009

Post #6680457

Finished the 2 apartment kitchens today.
Here is one, they are both the same.
One side.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6680462

This side for range & refrigerator.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6680525

Sunny and nice today. Enjoyed the weather and came home and did alot of planting. Put the last of my cannas in the ground, made up another container for myself and another one for a friend of mine. Still have more plants to plant. LOL. I have about 5 mums I got at PG yesterday to plant and a Mina Lobata.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6680813

Bernie that's some serious work for an Apt.
Most I've been in were pressboard and formica.
Is that floor rock?
Nice Looking set!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #6681099

Very nice, Bernie. Better than any apt. I was ever in, too!

Ric, yours is more packed than mine. I still have LOOOOOOOONG way to go.

We had pretty day today. Started out sun-shiny then progressed to cloudy but warm. We had some thunder a bit ago but no rain.

This little feller likes to watch while I fill the feeder.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #6681398

Good morning!

Mostly cloudy, but a fairly thin cloud cover so it's pretty bright despite the clouds. Temp about 52F, rain in the forecast.

Ric - EXCELLENT photo tours! Enjoyed them a lot! Can't beleve how HUGE those gardens are - are they both privately owned?

Celia - cute bird - they get fed during the summer too??! lol The birds over here wouldn't come to a feeder this time of year ... I think they only eat bugs and earthworms during the summer.

Here's a link to the video's again if anyone missed it ... you really should check out at least the last two, it gives you a good idea of the landscape out in the open ... there's not a tree to be found anywhere. http://www.dropshots.com/ranny#albums/Trip%20to%20Hverageri

Have a good day!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6681839

I SEE THE SUN! lol!

64 and sunny going for 80

Thanks Rann!
All of the gardens in the Tour are privately owned.
Three of them are far larger than most lots in the area.
Because of the hills, valleys and rivers Cincinnati is laid out a bit strangely.
Eric and we have 1/8 acre. Our neighbor Jon has almost 3/4 acre. (An acre is .4 hectares)

The first garden is 2.5 acres, the second about 1.2 acres neither has more than our 1/8 acre in flat land.
The last one I'll post has well over 5 acres but dates from the 1860's.
How it didn't get broken up into a subdivision is a mystery.
Taxes alone would kill most people.
We pay a bit over 1000 dollars a year for our little place.
The first place would probably sell for 20 times ours...
The last place is easily a million in land alone!

Celia I'm sure you'll fill it in nicely!
Hope you got that feeder toppped of quickly!

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6681938

Well, the forecast was right ... it's raining. POURING down ... what we call "foreign rain" because it usually doesn't rain that hard here. lol

Ric - looking forward to the last one :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6681963

46*F
Rain
Just lost one of the longest posts in a long time~
To be brief; hope everyone has a good weekend.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6681980

One of the plants I bought on Thursday was this fern. No one in the nursery knew the name of it ... anyone have any ideas? Ric - I think I saw a photo of a very similar looking fern in one of your photos.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6682194

A Sunny, nice day for my niece's Graduation and the picnic that follows.
Everything is ready I am just waiting for the call to start the grill.

In the garden this morning I noted that I have got a squash (not ready yet but will not be long) and hot peppers.

Yesterday at work we had a cook-out for lunch and I won the "best Hawaiian shirt contest". This honor earned me a travel coffee mug with the company emblem, an enormous beach towel and a gallon of Hawaiian punch.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6682283

LOL Too bad you didn't get a free trip to Hawaii instead, Dyson. :-) I hope you have a wonderful time at the picnic. :-)

That's much prettier than any apartment kitchen I've ever had, too, Bernie! Great job, as usual. :-)

Charles left this morning for South Korea. It's going to be a long week! He hooked up a webcam and microphone, though, and bought one for his work laptop, too, so hopefully we'll be able to chat with him. He'll be landing in Los Angeles in about 20 minutes. I should have told him to wave at you, Kelli. :-)

There's no change in our weather. It's going to be really hot with amazingly low humidity for us, and no chance of rain in the near future.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CDT (21 min ago)
Temperature 89 F 32 C
Dew Point 71 F 22 C
Humidity 55%
Pressure 29.99 in 1015.5 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 96 F 36 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6684130

Rann it's for sure a Japanese Painted Fern.
I'd say Athyrium niponicum var. pictum 'Ursula's Red' but it's hard to tell from pictures.
Check here to try and narrow it down.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Dryopteridaceae/Athyrium/niponicum%20var.%20pictum/cultivar/0/

72 here now after a lovely day.
Well after the last few any one w/o rain is a lovely day! lol!

We have almost finished the next project.
Should have shots tomorrow.
Design differences have really slowed this one down... but now we're both happy... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2009

Post #6684157

It rained very hard for about 15 minutes today and AFTER we left the car show.

I have one pic to share for now...I've never seen a Wildcat in it's native habitat.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6684259

Mostly cloudy today and a bit cool. Tomorrow a chance of storms which we don't need. I have to be at PG for the grand opening of our new Heartland Harvest Garden and we don't want it to rain then. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6684547

Beautiful car Celia!
One of my buddies had one in HS.
I drove a Buick then too.
Not a Muscle Car though just a 4 door 65 Special Deluxe but it did have a V-8... lol!

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 14, 2009
7:54 AM

Post #6684989

HI, guys! I so enjoyed your videos and pics! Still have a few to see! I am working everyday on pulling grass from everywhere in the garden, seems it will never finish!
I have a few pics to post from the storm we had the other day.
First when it got cloudy...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 14, 2009
7:56 AM

Post #6684993

The dark clouds came to cover the white ones...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 14, 2009
7:58 AM

Post #6684995

A close-up.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 14, 2009
8:02 AM

Post #6684998

The strange light on the sky afterwards.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 14, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #6685013

It's been cooled off a little, only 90 these days, but 70 at night and windy.
I could see the light over our neighbor's house.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6685228

Good morning!

Beautiful photos Adina! :-)

Ric - thanks! Never seen this kind of fern before ... very excited to have it in my garden :-) Just hope it'll live. That cactus is a beauty :-)

We just had another downpour like yesterday ... the sun came out between showers a minute ago then it started raining again. Guess it's going to be one of those days... Light breeze, temp around 52F. According to the forecast, it looks like the next 3 - 4 days will be wet. And I spent most of Friday watering the garden :-( ARRGGHH

Celia - glad it rained AFTER the show! Nice car :-)

I think this is Anemone multifida 'Major'

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6685323

It is HOT~ we're about 7* higher than where we should be.

We were at 93 yesterday suppoed to be 95* today.

76.8 F
Scattered Clouds
Wind: 3.2 mphfrom the South
Wind Gust: 9.4 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. High 95. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 98 to 102.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6685347

66 and partly cloudy going for 80 w/ a slight chance of rain.
This is the warmest rainy cycle I can remember for late Spring.
Wet and cool and we loose plants.
Our giant Miscanthus is taller than the fence now.

The veggies are loving it.
Our small RU Tomato seedlings have more than doubled in size in a week.

Adina that is a colorful sky!
If that strange light were a bit greener I'd be looking for tornados.

Rann Japanese Ferns used to be fairly rare at garden centers here in the States.
In the last decade they are found about everywhere.
We have, I think, 6 different varieties in the yard.
Robyn LOVES Ferns.

These actually will get quite large. Maybe 1/2 Meter tall by a Meter wide after 3 years.

Here's a shot for the Garden Tour.
They are being used for edging and are still young.
I'll get a shot of ours today if the light's right.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6685393

Good morning! It's going to be hot and dry today again today. We hit 99 here at the house yesterday. I haven't heard from Charles yet... Maybe the motel they are staying in doesn't have internet access. Hopefully he will e-mail when he wakes up. (It's 8:06 am here, so it's 10:06 pm there.)

Those are beautiful sky photos, Adina!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6685417

This is why we love living in Minnesota!
" rain Friday, 70 right now, beautiful sunrise, dew sparkling on everything. Fresh mowed grass, lovely flowers, birds singing. What more could you ask for. OK maybe a nice beach, but we have them , too!

So, what's first to do today? Call Prizer Point, KY to reserve our cabin for KY Round Up in Sept.

Today I get to work on flower beds & maybe my new pond. DW wants to get the window boxes planted, I guess it is time. All veggie gardens are planted & producing very well.

Weather guy is on, he says high of 80. Love it!

Time to feed my face.
Bernie

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6687156

Marylyn, I don't know what route planes take to get to Korea, but if they go to the north or northwest, Charles would have been pretty close to my area.

The sun was out for a while today.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on June 14, 2009
73 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 49%
Wind: 9 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

a couple pictures left from Wednesday
I had to alter the colors on this one in order to have all of the layers of hills to show up.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #6687161

tarantula hawk http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/sep/papr/thawk.html This one is a male.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6687167

a very contorted oak tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6687183

Kelli, according the the flight tracking website I was watching, the plane went north, way up the California Pacific coast, almost to the Oregon border, before turning west into the ocean. Why a plane going west would head north first is beyond me, so I have no clue if that is really what the plane did or if the website was just whacky. The website only tracks planes in the US and in parts of Europe, so it lost contact with the airplane pretty quickly once it headed out to sea.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6687465

If you have a globe (I don't), stretch a string from Los Angeles to Korea and you'll see the shortest route. It may not look anything like what would appear to be the direct route on a flat map.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 15, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6687683

When I was in Fairbanks, Alaska during the Vietnam war, Fairbanks was the closest air base to Vietnam. Like Kelli said, look on a globe. It isn't very far going north to south as compared to east to west.

Got a lot done today. I just finished cultivating all the rows covered with plastic. I made my own cultivator for doing this. It does both sides of the plastic. I straddle the row with my tractor. Works good as long as I drive right. Some are on the hillside, so that is real tricky.

Any of you farmers have hillsides?

Tore out an old rose bush. It came with the place & was full of volunteer trees.
Finished mulching my new Iris bed.
Window boxes got planted.
Transplanted some Kohlrabi into the field, about 200.
Called Prizer Point. Reserved a cottage for Wed. through Sat. night. Plan on going down to Nashville on Thursday. Never been there & would like to see it. Also going to visit a couple DG people at their homes.
Kathleen, are you going to make it this year ? It would be fun meeting you.

Supper awaits,
Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6687852

Bernie we do Nashville a bit.
You must see Opryland Hotel.
There is no better or bigger indoor garden/arboretum/water feature/restaurant/...
There's a very small charge to get in but WELL worth it.
And it's across from a giant outlet mall... lol!

Well except for the trim the decking project is done.
T-Strom (Monsoon actually) even hit just as we were finishing.
It washed off the mud we've been tracking all over it.
How polite was that!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6687865

The backdoor deck is 8 x 6, each pad is 4 x 4 so 96 square feet total.
I'd rather do a 8 x 12 deck any day... this went thru 3 design changes at least.
Originally it was going to be ramped.
I like the stepped version better.
When we finished connecting the 'steps' to the Patio and Deck we were off by only 1/8" in length and height.
I was VERY pleased! LOL!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6688032

How great is that, Ric!!! I love it!

Bernie, have a good time at the cottage. I looked up Prizer Point and it looks like lots of fun!

I started a new project to be finished later this year or next. I still have the GH to get up. I decided that, instead of leaving this area to weeds, I'll plant a shade garden. This is the north side. My niece gave me all the slate. It will go along the sides of the GH.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009

Post #6688040

There was weed fabric under this and I got it all out. I need to till in some amendment so I may wait until next year to plant. The East side.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6688050

Thanks Celia!
No more mud hole.
We'll try to get the sideyard step tomorrow.
Then it's done.
We're trying an experiment w/ the paths. We'll see how well it works.

Wish I had a niece like that.
I love slate!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6688052

And...our sunset last evening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009

Post #6688061

Bet Kelli is VERY familiar w/ views like that!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6688072

I love slate, too. Jean is a great Friend, as well. We'll be putting a slate pathway around the yard from garden spot to garden spot. A sort of wandering tour.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6688140

Hot and humid today. Was only supposed to be in the mid 70s but it shot way past that.

Here's a shot from the big hail storm. Finally got them downloaded today.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6688183

Ouch! That's lots of hail!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6688196

Yeah, and that's not even the worse of it. At it's peak I couldn't get pics.

Here's a closer look.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6688201

Oh, man! I see lots of broken plant material! Sad!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6688348

Yeow Pepper you really did get whacked!
Love to watch it in the Fall AFTER the plants are all done.
HATE this!

We will be seeing the affects from ours for the rest of the Summer.
The Hosta don't heal and don't grow new leaves.

Ric
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6688351

High 90's here, no clouds during day so the garden is baking, the plants wilting. Stage 2 water restrictions, Exceptional Drought. Nearby San Antonio is expecting triple digits for the next few days. I hate summer! It's June, but more like July right now.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6688409

Sorry to hear that Linda!
We're drowning here... well not really but a few days of nothing but Sun would be nice.
Last Saturday, the RU, was the last 24 hour period w/o rain.

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #6689077

we've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1002809/
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6711724

Rann, that was interesting what Selma had to say. In the U.S., we get the impression that certain countries are dangerous because all the news we hear about them is bad. I often wonder what impression people in other countries have of the safety in the U.S. Do guidebooks tell them to stay away from certain places or make things sound more dangerous than the residents think they are? I think of Scandanavia as a very safe place, but are there bad parts of town in Reykjavik?

It is 89F here at the house.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 19, 2009
84 F
Clear
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 6 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.71 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 84 F
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Doing my part to show you that L.A. is more than gangs and crime. There is probably a waterfall here when it rains.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6711741

This is called Spanish clover but it is American. DH wonders how I see little things like that, but I guess I've trained myself.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6711748

Lorquin's admiral

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6711755

creek with water - No, it isn't redundant to say that, not out here. The trees are coyote willows or arroyo willows.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 1:32 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6711854

Kelli, we've moved on. Great pics!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1002809/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America