-
AuthorContent
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6658098

I found your article of interest since I purchased two large Mountain Ash trees last year for my yard. I wanted some shade for the house and loved this particular species. They came through winter fine and have completely leafed out. I only got one flower on one tree this spring but am hopeful as they settle in more they'll bloom better. They were about 12 feet tall when I purchased them. I was sad to read they are a short lived tree. What exactly does that mean? How many years is considered to be "short"?
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6660424

short means 50 years give or take...short-lived compared to maples, oaks and beech!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6676446

Useful reading - as usual.
Thanks
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6677374

I'm glad "short" is 50 years. I bought a Thundercloud Plum tree once. It kicked the bucket at 15 years. I loved that tree. It shaded my whole patio. Nobody told me when I bought it that it's considered a "short lived tree" or I would have made a different choice.

Any tips to keep them healthy? Would you recommend spraying them when we spray all our fruit trees?
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #6689085

We rarely spray our mountain ash in Newfoundland but they are prone to many of the same pests that attack other fruit trees so perhaps the same regime might be advised if fruit pests are a problem in your area. Fire blight is the biggest problem but we thankfully do not have that disease in Newfoundland.
Cindi10
Post Falls, ID

August 4, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8018653

I just found this web site looking for some information on my two little Mountain Ash Trees. These replies are a year old, but I enjoyed reading them and Todd's Article. I hope everyone Good Luck with their Mountain Ash Trees. Cindi10

Thumbnail by Cindi10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #8018670

Thanks for bumping this up. I might as well give an update to my mountain ash trees.

They have both settled in great. This year they were loaded with blooms and now they are loaded with clumps of orange balls. I am so pleased. I do keep them sprayed when I spray the fruit trees. They also benefit some when I put a high nitrogen fertilizer on the lawn in early spring. I just love these two trees.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mountain-ash - A multifaceted Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article Todd! rannveig 4 Jun 9, 2009 7:48 AM
MOUNTAIN ASH kaffsmom 1 Jul 8, 2009 9:10 PM
Mountain Ash Tree Cindi10 0 Aug 4, 2010 3:07 PM
Mountain Ash papa1 0 Sep 26, 2011 10:49 AM
Quebec seedling - in New York State delbertyoung56m 0 Nov 10, 2011 4:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America