Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Share your Birds, Furbabies, other Backyard Wildlife II

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This pix isn't current, but I couldn't resist sharing it here as our header for the second thread which was started by Cindy. Hurry back Cindy.

Everyone please join in and share your backyard retreats.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/969946/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

For a more current of the egrets, here is one. I was so thrilled they have returned to the 'posts' after 3 years in counting. Most often I will see the beautiful birds flying by, but they rarely came to our pier because of my furbabies patrol the garden for beavers and chipmonds. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful setting....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Genna. Sitting pretty ; meet my furbabies playmate Ali-Bama. She's my neighbor's beloved pet. Whom is very insecure about Ali may decide to adopt us as her new family, for Ali spends most of her days with us on a regular basic. At least she goes home when comes supper time. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is my number one helper. The back door does not open without Charlie shooting outside. He follows me everywhere I go and checks out everything I do. Like Marilyn's furbaby he loves to smell the flowers. He has a big sister, Samantha, that also like to help but sometimes she is lazy and prefers to nap. That's what she was doing this morning.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Close up of Charlie.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Charlie is adorable, Charlotte! He reminds me of Copole (spelling?) Clemen's furbaby in NY. :-)

I've a mini-series of the interaction b/w two finches. It appears to me that they were having a dialogue....

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

...the conversation continues:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

...I eavedrop onto the conversation. It's always tough to learn a new language, lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

...Are they 'Kissing & make up'? lol, in simple intepretation. These two lovebirds were speaking the universal language of love. ^_^ The end.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

New bird added to my list on backyard's sighting. Eastern Kingbird. Slightly larger bird than Eastern Phoebes, and white breasted, white under chin and tip of tail.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

This turtle came to visit this AM.
An Eastern Box turtle?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I am not good with turtle id..... but he is a cutie! beautiful shell......

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hopefully Betty2 will visit and confirm the turtle for us? Has anyone ever found the answer to "Why turtles cross the road"? LOL, DH and I and the whole community has to dodge a small turtle like the one you've posted FOTV driving home the other day.

Then next I saw one about 3 times the size -- slow mosy down across the road -- on rush hours traffic! I was so frustrated to see the hapless slow-poke was left to the mercy of traffikers. I couldn't stop because I would create dozen cars pile up accident! Will you break for turtles crossing the road? I did. lol.

edit to correct my spelling, lol. I meant Brake and not break!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 2:47 PM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Haven't seen any "regular" turtles this year. All I have seen in the road have been the loggerhead turtles - have seen several of them from large to tiny. There was even a baby walking across the walking track at the school one evening. Jessi wants a baby turtle really bad and she wanted me to bring it home....but I knew better than to bring home a loggerhead!!

Genna

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Looks like a Eastern box turtle to me. I just love boxies. They are so sweet.

Betty

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Betty, I knew you knew what turtle that was. ^_^ Thanks for the I.D.

Here are our residential Pekin ducks patrolling the area lake.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, a turtle expert, thank you for the ID. It was a sweetie but really started to scamper off after I took the photo. Such beautiful shell markings, even those on the head were striking. Guess that's part of their whole camouflage package. I had just been out on the back deck, ran in for a minute to refill my coffee and when I came back there it was already starting to cross the threshold into our garage. DH put in near the woods in a happier place away from the road. This is the 3rd one I've recently seen, hubby says they search for higher ground after it rains, that makes sense since we've had 6-8" in a week. One evening last week we spotted a turtle laying eggs out in the field (may have been the same one, who knows?!) She hissed at me when I got close! It was getting dark, so I put a big rock next to her. The next morning she was gone but had very neatly covered the hole where she'd laid her eggs. Thought that was Amazing!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Wow had a surprise visitor to the pond awhile ago a White Ibis

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

pic 2

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How cool is that. I'd invite the visitor to stay awhile. Donna. :-)
Kim

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim I agree that is one cool bird!!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I was so afraid I wasn't going to get a picture. I was inside my duck cage putting clean water in their pools when it landed. I had to wait about 10 minutes for it to move away from the cage so I could get out. Had to go through my plants behind the cage so it wouldn't see me and up to the house to get my camera, then sneak back down. Surprisingly it wasn't that skittish as you can see how close I got by the pic. I was probably about 40' away hiding partially behind my Confederate Rose Tree. I got a few good close up then it flew to the back side of my pond for the rest of the day. Sure hope it comes back. I have only seen them in winter on the river

Richland, MS(Zone 8b)

Nice pics of the Ibis, Donna. I have only seen immature ones.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dog and butterflies? uhhhh, no dog and Mallard ducks. Actually I think the furbaby is after chipmond along the river bank. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We kept these little ones until they were almost grown. Here they are at their new home...

Thumbnail by duckmother
Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

awwwww they are so cute. The hairdo on the white duck is so fluffy. There was a gray duck at our park pond with a gray puff on his or her head. Duckmother, do you know what kind of ducks these are? Laverne

Hi Laverne and thank you. We call the two white ones "Top knot and No knot" LOL There are 3 females. The only male is No knot. I just went by for a visit and you would have thought that they were starving! As soon as they saw the can of food, they quacked loudly and ran all the way to the car ;o) I also took lettuce, watermelon, meal worms and earthworms...they are so spoiled...which makes me so happy ;o)) Their new owner takes very good care of them but they still seem to like my visits, I am certain that it is because I bring worms!

Top Knot is a crested duck. There are two ways that a duck may get a crest First, the crest gene is seen in every 10,000-50,000 eggs. The other is to have a parent with the crest...which makes the chances much greater. On occasion, if both parents have a crest, the eggs will hatch but in many cases the skull is too deformed and will not hatch. Let me see if I can explain that better...if each parent passes the crested gene to the egg, it will not hatch. The mutation (which some call it) gene allows fatty tissue to come through a gap in the skull...this causes feathers to grow in a tuft formation. Some are quite pronounced and others are just a few feathers...depending on the size of the gap. Crested ducks which are shown (like dog shows) are usually white, and must follow the waterfowl club criteria. However, because they are so popular, you can see these lovelies mixed with many other breeds, which are sold as yard ducks...for beauty not for a blue ribbon ;o)

Great question. Please ask if you have any others.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the information and it is very interesting. Can't wait to tell DH about this info, we have wondered about it for a long time. I miss seeing Fancy(I named her)and we look for her each time we go to the park. I prefer to think she has moved to another pond. DH took a picture of Fancy and I will show it if I can locate it on the computer. She's a doll. Laverne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

These Mallards coming inland occassionally when my furbabies aren't around. :-) Kim, thanks for sharing your knowledge on ducks. I appreciate you.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whoo--I'm way behind--been to Canada to visit friends and just got back on Saturday. Was it ever a shock to come back to the heat and humidity! Great photos everyone!!
Donna: so sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. However, you managed to capture some good photos!
Christine, I loved all the photos of yours and Dave's druise--lovely! It's been 25 years since I went to Nassau on a cruise. I'm sure the place has grown tremendously since I was there.
Kim(duckmother) very interesting info on the crested ducks
Kim(lilylove) your photos of the woodpecker were very good--keep up the good work
Charlotte: your Charlie is so cute--how do you keep his fur so white?

speaking of furbabies, I have to take my Friday to the vet this Monday morning for his booster shots--poor little guy doesn't know what awaits him and I'm not going to tell him, either!

BBL
Marilyn

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi,
I have lots of furry babies. I tried to load a GIF animation that I have posted on our web page

www.tntchihuahuas,

but I don't think it can load anything that big. One of the pictures shows the puppy coming up behind a baby bunny with his paw up.
I've thought of starting a WET contest. Show us your animals before and after on our web page. I wonder if they have done that on DG in one of the animal forums? That can be really funny. Do any of you remember seeing that posted here before?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

unwelcome visitor that has been terrorizing my birds for the last 2 weeks. Not sure if it is a Sharpie. Have it on ID forum. Bad pic taken from inside my kitchen

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn, glad you had a good time visiting your friends in Canada. Be sure and post your photos!!! Charlie can get dirty with the best of them! He's like a kid, if there is dirt or mud any where around he can find it!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, the hawk is fearsome looking Donna. Welcome back Belledonna and Marilyn.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Meet my Percy, he isn't exactly invited (to the feeder) but he decided that he would visit anyway. I've another feeder that I'll changed out after this one is empty. I use one while the other one is down for cleaning/disinfect.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You have the same problem I do. We had to put up those kind that close up from the weight of a squirrel. They still hang out around the feeders and keep trying to get in in the feeder. They do eat everything the birds knock to the ground. They are fun to watch but we have so many they have become a real nuisance. A couple of years ago chipmunks decided to join the squirrels. Gives the dogs a lot of exercise!!! There are always squirrels sitting on the patio and everytime the dogs go out they have to chase them!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Charlotte you're right, the feeder that slides down thus closes the feeder opening when the squirrel jumps on it, does work very effectively.

Not many weeks ago when I saw these geese as little babies with their parents, now look like they're big and strong, perhaps will be ready for the journey up North soon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Eastern Kingbird on Mimosa.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Thanks Marilyn, glad you had such a wonderful trip.

Donna, shoo that meanie bird away...or should I say, hit him with a shoe and shoo him away! LOL

Kim, those geese are so cute...really makes me miss my Dudley Do-Right!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.