AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6658163

This pix isn't current, but I couldn't resist sharing it here as our header for the second thread which was started by Cindy. Hurry back Cindy.

Everyone please join in and share your backyard retreats.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/969946/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6658183

For a more current of the egrets, here is one. I was so thrilled they have returned to the 'posts' after 3 years in counting. Most often I will see the beautiful birds flying by, but they rarely came to our pier because of my furbabies patrol the garden for beavers and chipmonds. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 8, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6658344

Beautiful setting...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6658611

Thanks Genna. Sitting pretty ; meet my furbabies playmate Ali-Bama. She's my neighbor's beloved pet. Whom is very insecure about Ali may decide to adopt us as her new family, for Ali spends most of her days with us on a regular basic. At least she goes home when comes supper time. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6658730

Here is my number one helper. The back door does not open without Charlie shooting outside. He follows me everywhere I go and checks out everything I do. Like Marilyn's furbaby he loves to smell the flowers. He has a big sister, Samantha, that also like to help but sometimes she is lazy and prefers to nap. That's what she was doing this morning.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6658781

Close up of Charlie.

Thumbnail by cperdue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6658815

Charlie is adorable, Charlotte! He reminds me of Copole (spelling?) Clemen's furbaby in NY. :-)

I've a mini-series of the interaction b/w two finches. It appears to me that they were having a dialogue...

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6658832

...the conversation continues:

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6658845

...I eavedrop onto the conversation. It's always tough to learn a new language, lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6658870

...Are they 'Kissing & make up'? lol, in simple intepretation. These two lovebirds were speaking the universal language of love. :-) The end.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6665081

New bird added to my list on backyard's sighting. Eastern Kingbird. Slightly larger bird than Eastern Phoebes, and white breasted, white under chin and tip of tail.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6673227

This turtle came to visit this AM.
An Eastern Box turtle?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 11, 2009

Post #6673423

I am not good with turtle id... but he is a cutie! beautiful shell...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6673474

Hopefully Betty2 will visit and confirm the turtle for us? Has anyone ever found the answer to "Why turtles cross the road"? LOL, DH and I and the whole community has to dodge a small turtle like the one you've posted FOTV driving home the other day.

Then next I saw one about 3 times the size -- slow mosy down across the road -- on rush hours traffic! I was so frustrated to see the hapless slow-poke was left to the mercy of traffikers. I couldn't stop because I would create dozen cars pile up accident! Will you break for turtles crossing the road? I did. lol.

edit to correct my spelling, lol. I meant Brake and not break!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 2:47 PM
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 11, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6673506

Haven't seen any "regular" turtles this year. All I have seen in the road have been the loggerhead turtles - have seen several of them from large to tiny. There was even a baby walking across the walking track at the school one evening. Jessi wants a baby turtle really bad and she wanted me to bring it home...but I knew better than to bring home a loggerhead!!

Genna
tortoisekeeper
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6674144

Looks like a Eastern box turtle to me. I just love boxies. They are so sweet.

Betty

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6674393

Hi Betty, I knew you knew what turtle that was. :-) Thanks for the I.D.

Here are our residential Pekin ducks patrolling the area lake.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6674558

Wow, a turtle expert, thank you for the ID. It was a sweetie but really started to scamper off after I took the photo. Such beautiful shell markings, even those on the head were striking. Guess that's part of their whole camouflage package. I had just been out on the back deck, ran in for a minute to refill my coffee and when I came back there it was already starting to cross the threshold into our garage. DH put in near the woods in a happier place away from the road. This is the 3rd one I've recently seen, hubby says they search for higher ground after it rains, that makes sense since we've had 6-8" in a week. One evening last week we spotted a turtle laying eggs out in the field (may have been the same one, who knows?!) She hissed at me when I got close! It was getting dark, so I put a big rock next to her. The next morning she was gone but had very neatly covered the hole where she'd laid her eggs. Thought that was Amazing!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6674952

Wow had a surprise visitor to the pond awhile ago a White Ibis

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6674955

pic 2

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6675522

How cool is that. I'd invite the visitor to stay awhile. Donna. :-)
Kim

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6675666

Kim I agree that is one cool bird!!!!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6676168

I was so afraid I wasn't going to get a picture. I was inside my duck cage putting clean water in their pools when it landed. I had to wait about 10 minutes for it to move away from the cage so I could get out. Had to go through my plants behind the cage so it wouldn't see me and up to the house to get my camera, then sneak back down. Surprisingly it wasn't that skittish as you can see how close I got by the pic. I was probably about 40' away hiding partially behind my Confederate Rose Tree. I got a few good close up then it flew to the back side of my pond for the rest of the day. Sure hope it comes back. I have only seen them in winter on the river
f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6680267

Nice pics of the Ibis, Donna. I have only seen immature ones.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6681621

Dog and butterflies? uhhhh, no dog and Mallard ducks. Actually I think the furbaby is after chipmond along the river bank. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6682764

We kept these little ones until they were almost grown. Here they are at their new home...

Thumbnail by duckmother

2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6683113

awwwww they are so cute. The hairdo on the white duck is so fluffy. There was a gray duck at our park pond with a gray puff on his or her head. Duckmother, do you know what kind of ducks these are? Laverne
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6683694

Hi Laverne and thank you. We call the two white ones "Top knot and No knot" LOL There are 3 females. The only male is No knot. I just went by for a visit and you would have thought that they were starving! As soon as they saw the can of food, they quacked loudly and ran all the way to the car ;o) I also took lettuce, watermelon, meal worms and earthworms...they are so spoiled...which makes me so happy ;o)) Their new owner takes very good care of them but they still seem to like my visits, I am certain that it is because I bring worms!

Top Knot is a crested duck. There are two ways that a duck may get a crest First, the crest gene is seen in every 10,000-50,000 eggs. The other is to have a parent with the crest...which makes the chances much greater. On occasion, if both parents have a crest, the eggs will hatch but in many cases the skull is too deformed and will not hatch. Let me see if I can explain that better...if each parent passes the crested gene to the egg, it will not hatch. The mutation (which some call it) gene allows fatty tissue to come through a gap in the skull...this causes feathers to grow in a tuft formation. Some are quite pronounced and others are just a few feathers...depending on the size of the gap. Crested ducks which are shown (like dog shows) are usually white, and must follow the waterfowl club criteria. However, because they are so popular, you can see these lovelies mixed with many other breeds, which are sold as yard ducks...for beauty not for a blue ribbon ;o)

Great question. Please ask if you have any others.

2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6685443

Thanks for the information and it is very interesting. Can't wait to tell DH about this info, we have wondered about it for a long time. I miss seeing Fancy(I named her)and we look for her each time we go to the park. I prefer to think she has moved to another pond. DH took a picture of Fancy and I will show it if I can locate it on the computer. She's a doll. Laverne

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6685559

These Mallards coming inland occassionally when my furbabies aren't around. :-) Kim, thanks for sharing your knowledge on ducks. I appreciate you.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6689501

Whoo--I'm way behind--been to Canada to visit friends and just got back on Saturday. Was it ever a shock to come back to the heat and humidity! Great photos everyone!!
Donna: so sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. However, you managed to capture some good photos!
Christine, I loved all the photos of yours and Dave's druise--lovely! It's been 25 years since I went to Nassau on a cruise. I'm sure the place has grown tremendously since I was there.
Kim(duckmother) very interesting info on the crested ducks
Kim(lilylove) your photos of the woodpecker were very good--keep up the good work
Charlotte: your Charlie is so cute--how do you keep his fur so white?

speaking of furbabies, I have to take my Friday to the vet this Monday morning for his booster shots--poor little guy doesn't know what awaits him and I'm not going to tell him, either!

BBL
Marilyn
belledonna
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6689549

Hi,
I have lots of furry babies. I tried to load a GIF animation that I have posted on our web page

http://www.tntchihuahuas,

but I don't think it can load anything that big. One of the pictures shows the puppy coming up behind a baby bunny with his paw up.
I've thought of starting a WET contest. Show us your animals before and after on our web page. I wonder if they have done that on DG in one of the animal forums? That can be really funny. Do any of you remember seeing that posted here before?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6690522

unwelcome visitor that has been terrorizing my birds for the last 2 weeks. Not sure if it is a Sharpie. Have it on ID forum. Bad pic taken from inside my kitchen

Thumbnail by DonnaB

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6690802

Marilyn, glad you had a good time visiting your friends in Canada. Be sure and post your photos!!! Charlie can get dirty with the best of them! He's like a kid, if there is dirt or mud any where around he can find it!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6690813

Wow, the hawk is fearsome looking Donna. Welcome back Belledonna and Marilyn.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6690875

Meet my Percy, he isn't exactly invited (to the feeder) but he decided that he would visit anyway. I've another feeder that I'll changed out after this one is empty. I use one while the other one is down for cleaning/disinfect.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6690927

You have the same problem I do. We had to put up those kind that close up from the weight of a squirrel. They still hang out around the feeders and keep trying to get in in the feeder. They do eat everything the birds knock to the ground. They are fun to watch but we have so many they have become a real nuisance. A couple of years ago chipmunks decided to join the squirrels. Gives the dogs a lot of exercise!!! There are always squirrels sitting on the patio and everytime the dogs go out they have to chase them!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6696866

Charlotte you're right, the feeder that slides down thus closes the feeder opening when the squirrel jumps on it, does work very effectively.

Not many weeks ago when I saw these geese as little babies with their parents, now look like they're big and strong, perhaps will be ready for the journey up North soon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6697129

Eastern Kingbird on Mimosa.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6700252

Thanks Marilyn, glad you had such a wonderful trip.

Donna, shoo that meanie bird away...or should I say, hit him with a shoe and shoo him away! LOL

Kim, those geese are so cute...really makes me miss my Dudley Do-Right!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6700706

ugh!!! Unfortunately it has been ID'd as a Coopers so it is here to stay for summer

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6700868

Donna, sorry about that! Let's hope the hawk will find other interest. I've a family of Redheaded woodpeckers that I was so glad to have taken some pix. Yesterday and today, I saw perhaps crows, perhaps grackles? on the same dead tree that the Woodpeckers were building nest. I hope the smaller birds will and can defend for themselves. I've been worried.
One thing I've noticed though, since I saw the redheaded wp this spring, my Red-bellied wp ceased to come to the feeder in the backyard.
Last year the Red-bellied wp and the downy wp were here together...I don't see the Redbellied, only the Downy and the Redheaded from afar (these have yet come to the feeder).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6706288

Here are my furbabies and the Pekin ducks this am while I tried to water the garden before temp. turns too hot.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

belledonna
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6708904

Two of our babies with flowers picked from the garden.

Thumbnail by belledonna

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6708913

Your two little firball babies are sooooooo cute!!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 19, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6709984

How adorable!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6710085

They are the cutest little angels!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6710109

here are some of my naughty turkeys. i don't like letting them run in the yard, but it's been so hot this week, and i already lost 2 to heat stroke, the only choice left is to let them out

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6710143

Those are the cutest puppies!!! Should send that photo in somewhere!!!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6710210

Bell that pic is just to cute

Jordan I have naughty geese lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6710263

Hi Donna, Kathy how nice it's to live in the country. I love your setting, the flower bed is beautiful. How about some colorful dragonfly? I saw two different kind, this green one stood out. They gray color sort of blended in with the environment so I couldn't get a clear pix.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6710288

kim thanks, but all my flower beds need weeding. if i could only teach the turkeys to eat the weeds and not the flowers
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 19, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6710417

LOL ... I know exactly what you mean . My chickens will scratch up bulbs and undermine my camellias - but won't BOTHER a weed !! How do they know ???

Genna

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6710422

:-), I'm sure Jeri feels the same way about Larry, her Peacock. They're so nice I just love them to pieces. lol.

I myself, I wished if I can train my gardener helper not to be so unfriendly with these Egret(s).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6710443

Here comes charging in the the territory:

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6710451

Just so he can send the Egret on its way ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 19, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6710469

That is funny! My pyrenees chases crows, bluebirds, anything that flies! He doesn't like them flying OVER his yard!! :-) We used to have a big grey crane or herring (sorry i am not sure technically what it was) that flew over every evening to roost behind our home and our previous pyrenees would go WILD every evening trying to get him!! It was an hilarious site this 100 lb dog jumping up into the air like she is going to reach this bird at least a 100 ft in the air !! Now that she is gone, I regret not getting video of it ...

Genna

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6710562

i had to give my pyrenese away. she was killing my peacocks and chickens. when she killed my pet rooster it vwas time to pack up her dog biscuits
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6710941

my girls only chase the big herons. They don't mind the little blue or green herons
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6717196

We just went camping / fishing. Isn't this a Great Blue Heron. Please let me know,,,and can you tell if it's a Male or a Female? This bird was a frequent visitor during the week, perhaps nesting nearby. Here it is in the next campsite only 15' away. The picnic table lends a perspective of its x-lg size.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6717217

Our campsite was at the water's edge, I took this photo from our boat.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6717223

And here it is in flight...what a magnificent bird!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6717366

Great shots of the GB Heron, FOTV, unless Donna can id the gender, I can't. On the bird ID forum maybe others can help?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6717517

Thank you Lily_love, that's a great idea. I always love seeing your frequent GB Heron visitor down on your dock. I live near a lake too but don't see many a mile inland, at least not up close and personal.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6723579

Male Cardinal on the suet feeder...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6723589

...soon thereafter, the Mrs. also arrived. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6723604

Male Downy Woodpecker also visits. I haven't seen the female today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6723861

There are not many butterflies in the garden yet. Thankfully, there are plenty of these guys to help pollinate the flowers in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6723896

Oooops let try that shot again of the intended bee.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6724811

Nice shots of the heron, FOTV! A magnificent bird, indeed!

Kim, nice shots of the cardinals and the downy woodpecker and the bee. Your photos reminded me that I need to get some more suet for my suet cages. The poor birds must think I have abandoned them!

I haven't seen many butterflies at all-just an occasional one flitting about every so often. However, I do have plenty of the bumblebees and also honeybees that visit my flowers. Here's a bumblebee on the beebalm.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6724819

The purple martins were having a "chatfest" on top of the birdhouse the other day.
Unfortunately, they will be leaving in 3 or so weeks. *sniff*

Thumbnail by marsue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6724963

...they are leaving ... ? Are they heading up North. sniff sniff, just as I discover them. :((
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6725001

Kim, the purple martins leave this area sometime around the middle to the end of July. They head back down south or where ever they go to spend the winter.

Thumbnail by marsue

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6725004

That GBH was a charmer!

Here's a Mockingbirds nest with 4 eggs in my Maple tree, low enough so I can keep watching ( ;

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6725048

Ooooh, that's delightful FOTV. The nest with eggs. Yes!!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6726179

All the wonderful critters and birds are so interesting. Kim we have always had the GB herons here. How do you keep them from eating your Koi? This year we have been seeing a lot of the smaller herons. The GB Heron squawks and squawks when he sees the dog in the yard and our dog barks and barks when a boat comes down his river.

Donna you need to get you a slingshot and keep that Hawk from wanting to perch around your place. If you are like me I couldn't hit him in a million shots anyway but might could make things uncomfortable for him to stick around.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6726742

Cindy,
For the past 3-4 years since we have got the Koi pond. I've seen a hawk perched on our the Pond's bridge once. We've thought about decorating the area with colorful flying flags and such to discourage them from coming back. Last Fall, Jim decided to put up a bird net over the pond, primarily to keep the fall leaves out, but also keep any other critters from getting inside. So far he hasn't taken it down because the net sorta blends right into the scene.

As far as herons and egrets? Crows too they prefer the lake for their hunting space, most time.
f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6738572

This grasshopper was peeping at me from behind an elephant ear leaf.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm

f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6738596

Does anyone know if this is fish eggs and if so what kind?

Thumbnail by f_chisolm

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6738685

Cute grasshopper!

I discovered a Carolina Wren's nest in one of my hanging baskets. Here's her 5 eggs I spied Monday while watering.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 5:53 PM

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6738690

All 5 chicks hatched Tuesday and yesterday. I can't pass that basket without taking a peek.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 5:53 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6738979

Congrats FOTV on the Wren's babies! Wooohooo!!! Frank, one mysterious creatures from the deep, lol. I've no idea!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6740942

I have been told that is not fish eggs...but some type of fungus or some type of growth. I will check with hubby and see if he remembers what it is called. Of course, I have had "my leg pulled" many times in my life, so it could be eggs ;o)

Oh boy, baby wrens...I just love 'em!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6741030

Wait 'til those little wrens fledge. They sure are some chatterboxes. lol. Here I've one that found the suet feeder. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6741710

And Loud!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6743165

If they're anything like their mom, they're also gonna sound fussy. She even "sings" and chatters with a worm in her mouth!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6743329

Those wrens they sure do have their own personality. lol.
f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6743484

Duckmother...Just so that thing in the water doesn't get any bigger and become a man-eater.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6743585

Three Mockingbird chicks have hatched...one more to go.
This pic is fuzzy but is the best one I have so far.

2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2009
6:05 AM

Post #6744443

f_chisolm, Just how big is that thing in your picture? It's really weird looking. Hope someone identifies it for you--I don't have a clue. Laverne

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #6744748

Awwwww the mockingbird babies! Cute, cute, cute. Frank, frogs' eggs? They may cover a large river rock. Frog's eggs!!!
f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #6746984

The egg sack resembled a cow intestine. The size I mean. If this came from a frog; I don't want to meet the frog. LOL It was as big around as a stick of bolgna and I don't know how long. Yards long. And there were at least two 50 yards from each other. I plan to check on it tomorrow but it most likely will be gone. If I see a lot of tadpoles then we will know. It had to be millions of eggs in the egg sacks.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6747301

f_chisolm: That's amazing!!

FOTV: what cute mockingbird chicks!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6747725

Frank, I'll have dream about those eggs tonite. lol.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

June 28, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6747768

I have a pond out back and I get whatever these things are in it every year when the water gets warm. They started showing up a few weeks ago. Pretty sure they are not eggs, but not sure what they are.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6749211

Hubby and I went diving yesterday, and those blobs are everywhere in lake Ouachita! I must find out what they are!

f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6750367

If it is not eggs I would guess some type of algae. I would feel safer knowing this has something to do with flora and not fauna.
f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6750369

I'm not going in the water.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2009

Post #6750385

Kim, please keep us posted as to what those slipery things are. They appear slipperty to me. LOL with you Frank. I don't blame you.

Okay back to our backyard's species that we all are familiar with and love, a nuthatch. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6750545

Found it! They are called Bryozoans

"These are jelly-like blobs that can be confused with egg masses. Bryozoans, sometimes seen attached to submerged sticks or docks, are animals similar but unrelated to corals. What looks like an individual is a colony of animals, each with a whorl of swirling tentacles. Different species look different: some are wispy and moss-like (giving rise to a common name of "moss animals"), others are large and round, gelatinous, firm, and slimy to the touch. While they may be unsightly on piers and docks, bryozoans are not a water pollution problem and in fact help to filter water."

Quoted source is from the University of Maine http://www.umaine.edu/WaterResearch/FieldGuide/inthewater.htm#eggs
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6750642

Kim, they may help to filter the water but anything with a "whorl of swirling tentacles" sounds scary to me--LOL

This message was edited Jun 28, 2009 4:34 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6750734

Isn't that the truth. lol, I agreed with you Marilyn. Thank you Kim for researching the subject and shared it with us.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6751430

Kim, what great perseverance & research. I love it when a mystery is solved! I'm still getting the willies though...ick! LOL

This must be my year for birds. I started a new Hosta garden under my cherry tree on Wednesday and finished it Friday. Today while watering, I spotted this Brown Thrasher on her nest. For all I know she may have been there the whole time and was certainly oblivious to me today when I took this pic only 5' away...she never flinched.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2009 8:07 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6751448

FOTV, becareful with those parent brown thrashers. They're very protective of their youngs. I love watching them hopping around on the ground hunting for bugs even for earthworms when they surface after a rain when the soil is wet.

Oh speaking of parental protectiveness in birds. I saw an Eastern Phoebe attacking a chipmond the other day. It was something else. I couldn't believe my eyes the little bird just pecking on the poor chipmond while it didn't know what hitting it.
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6751502

Let's go back to the creepy thing for a second. How big is it? I've never seen anything like that. Thanks for the info on it Duckmother. Very interesting. Laverne
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6751578

FTOV, that is a wonderful picture of the thrasher...I just love those birds! You should put that on the bird files forum.

Hi Laverne! They can be small, about the size of a golf ball, but can grow pretty large about the size of basketball and there can be several attached to each other. If you ever touch one, they are very very slimy! I see them a lot while scuba diving and snorkeling. They will be around until the end of the hottest days and then fade away. However, they will return next year when it becomes very hot.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6751716

Thanks for that compliment, duckmother. That was my 1st photo attempt.

And Lily_Love, I didn't know about their aggression and appreciate your warning since I'll be watering my Hostas every day or two. She was just like a statue today.

Could that be because she's warming her eggs? Guess I better not get my ladder out to see just how many she's hatching!

I'm tickled my Eastern Phoebes are back! After the 4 fledglings & parents flew off a month ago, I felt like an empty-nester but could still hear them calling in our woods nearby. Now during the day, but especially at daybreak, they're perched in various places around our yard and and calling "PHOE-bee...phoe-BEE" incessantly! It looks like they've decided to form a colony under the eave of my porch. At this rate, I may never get my new porch railings and columns installed...LOL. I got my ladder and a mirror out today, since that's a tight space. The nest on the right is the original one and doesn't have any eggs. The other two are new and were in various stages of completion last month. The one in the center now has 1 egg and the one on the left has 3 eggs so far. Stay tuned!

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2009
7:20 AM

Post #6762308

Woo Hoo!!!!! look what came to visit tonight. A Imperial Moth and it looks like a female. I netted her and put her in the Florida room while I wash a cage and let it dry. Hope she lays eggs. I would love to raise these cats. They are so cool looking. They can be 6 different colors or they go through 6 color changes. I don't know for sure which it is.

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6762731

Congrats Donna! Such beauty! Please share pictures if 'she' should change her coloration. How exciting!

Here I've a juvie Downy woodpecker came to visit the suet feeder. My titmice stay and their call woke me up this morning, such cute birds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6763538

oh sorry Kim. The caterpillars change colors

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6763735

Hah, that's how much I know about butterflies, and moths. lol. Thanks Donna for the clarification. :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6767973

Here is a pleasant sight. A papa cardinal is seen feeding his young. He brought the fledgling to the feeder, but still feeds the youngster.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6767990

From the above pix, one can easily 'see' the young bird calling out, "feed me, feed me Dad". lol. And sure enough, here dad coming running. It's "Chow time" lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6768023

Kim what great photos!! You really good at capturing just the right moment!!! Home resting today after a full day in Memphis but had a great time.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6768032

Welcome back home, Charlotte. I'm so glad to hear you and grandson have had a great time in Memphis. Once recoop, perhaps you've got pictures to share. :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009

Post #6768248

Here is another youngster that's calling mama, papa to help feed. At first I thought that was a Moma calling, training, coaxing the young fledglings to come to feed. But, as I watched the bird's behavior closely, it turns out that that is a youngun begging to be fed. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6768272

Another bird pix. This fella doesn't need to be fed, he's a very skilled fisherman himself!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6769032

I love to watch the adult birds feed their juvenile babies. Babies begging and flapping their wings lol
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 2, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6769710

Donna - I didn't know what kind of moth that was, but I see them here at our plant quite often. I work in a power plant and there is something about the vibration that attracts moths. We find all kinds scattered throughout the plant at times. I have seen several Luna Moths here and several of those Imperials ... they are really pretty.

Genna
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6770532

and lights attract them too. They usually go to a light and wait for a mate

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6770671

Here are my furbabies Charlie (grandson Jake holding) and Samantha.

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6773070

Charlie and Samantha are so cute--and grandson, Jake, too! Glad you all had a good time in Memphis!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6773415

Jake is so at home with the furbabies. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6773724

Charlotte, the oxy powder came in the mail today. I will mix some up and let you know how it works on the stain in my carpet. Thanks so much!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6774650

Cute babies & beautiful coats, lots of brushing!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6786355

Woohoooo! I've a Black Swallowtail butterfly visits today!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6790512

Very nice! I'd like to know why we're not seeing as many butterflies here in Virginia as we have in the past?

Today's excitement was watching my Carolina Wren fledglings leave their nest. This one's peeking out.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6790526

An instant later, it hopped on my basket rim.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6790531

Looking up, down, and around.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6790535

Is the World ready for me?

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6790568

Ready, set, fly!

All four chicks took off one-by-one and spent the majority of the day in our garage, just chattering with both mom and dad calling & feeding the babes before they finally coaxed them outside.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6790994

Great pictures!! A wren just finished building a nest in a gourd I hung on a dogwood tree by my koi pond. Keep checking, but nothing going on yet.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6791160

I've a gourd birdhouse hung by my arbor. The CW had made it their home, one or maybe two broods had since fledged (I think). Last time my curiosity got the best of me. I poke my face too close to the opening door -- It scared the you- know- what out of me, and the wren too. So I tried to refrain myself from repeating that mistake. They do chatter nearby and back and forth going in and out the nest still.

Thanks FOTV for sharing those darling pictures of the baby wren.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #6792051

I love the Carolina Wrens. They are so sociable. I have the 2nd nest I have found in my pot of Fennel not good!!

Had 2 of my SweetBay SilkMoths eclose today. Female

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #6792052

side view

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2009

Post #6792053

male

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2009

Post #6792054

male sideview

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6792636

Wow, those Sweetbay Silkmoths are beutiful! Congrats Donna.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6792660

My fish spawned last night and you wouldn't believe the mess and amount of eggs...don't have time now will post pictures later today!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6799217

My hubby spotted this little guy yesterday in my petunias. We really thought it was a Hummingbird other than a Ruby Throated. Clueless I posted pics in the Bird forum and someone kindly said it's a Hummingbird Moth. DonnaB you probably already knew that. Could have fooled me, had the look and sound of a hummer, except it has antennae.

Hummingbird Moth

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6799224

Another view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6799318

love when I see them Fruit. Have not seen any so far this year and no Sphinx Moths either. Really weird. I did see the pair of Quail that have been coming for the last couple of years yesterday. This is the female. The male was to far over near the bushes. Put corn out for them this morning but haven't seen them today

This message was edited Jul 9, 2009 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6799796

Those quails, are they wild ones Donna? FOTV, I raised a similiar moth (Tersa sphinx moth) once last year and I was ectatic when one eclosed. Those do appear - from afar - like a hummer.

Anyone ever seen a Bessy bug ? I've heard the expression
Quoting: Crazy as a bessy bug
. I just now found out this beetle is that Bessybug. I found many of them especially during the winter month, chomping on firelogs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6799836

yes Kim they are wild ones and very skittish

LOL I have heard Crazy as a Bed Bug or a Loon

I raise Tersa every year. They like the Pentas. I keep some in a big pot and a big plant out in the yard

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6799883

They (the quails) they're so fun. I've seen Phesants (spelling?) around here in the country living settings. I love to watch them.

Okay, Sandra and everyone, let's have a discussion about all those "saying" from each different region and compare notes. We begun with what I and Donna has quoted, what's yours? And the stories behind them? Let's share.

Donna,
Quoting: crazy as a loon
maybe has roots from lunatic? word root? How about the bed bug? What's up with that one? LOL, inquiry mind wants to know. lol,lol.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6799959

I don't know about bed bugs. I guess if you get them they will drive you crazy??

Loon from Lunatic

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6799983

Donna, while waiting for others to chime in. Have you notice a decline in butterflies number this year? Or am I too impatience? I saw an occassion butterfly here and there, but not many.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6800207

still a little early Kim. I am just getting them regularly now but not a big number of them
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6801885

I'm behind again--been off here for a few days. Lovely photos of the silk moths, Donna. and the CW babies, FOTV.
Kim, I haven't seen many butterflies at all but I have seen a couple of skippers and one of those little silver-colored bf's this week. I guess that is a start. I saw an absolutely beautiful dragonfly the other day but Friday kept chasing him and I wasn't able to get a good pic. :o(( The dragonfly was black and white and had four wings.

Here's a pic of some bumblebees and a skipper on the coneflowers.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6802705

I just got totally grossed out!!!! I was checking on the nest a wren has been in a gourd. There is a big potted fern on the ground next to it. I noticed what I thoughtttt was a dead bloom that had fallen on it. I reached down to pick it off and suddenly noticed that it was actually a DEAD BIRDS HEAD. Yes just the head...chopped off at the neck!! Sorry but I can't identify dead bird heads, but it was a big head, definitely a full grown bird!!! What on earth would have done this? Not going to take a picture!!!
Have some other pictures to post later today. In a hurry now.
But cute story...yesterday a little neighbor girl knocked on the door...in her hand was a big bucket with a big gold fish. Seems the neighbor kids spied a gold fish in the creek that runs through the neighborhood. It took them several days but they finally rescued it and brought it to me to put in my pond. Couse couldn't turn her down. Earlier this week my fish spawned and I do mean spawned. They have spawned every year but they really outdid themselves this year.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6802817

Sorry to hear that about the baby wren. Charlotte, sad things happen to little ones in nature too.
Yesterday, I noticed a purple finch at the bird feeder. Something wasn't quite right. Its feather was sticking out every which way. I did some burst shots with my camera, when the picture looked at close range, it appears that the bird got some kind of eyes disease and the feathers was devoid around the eyes area. It's said sometimes the disease is so bad that leads to blindness...

About the child finding goldfish; I've several Kois but perhaps I had only, either females or all males, for over 3 years now I haven't seen any new baby kois. But boys, the gold fish they do make many a babies. I've a type of gold fish that when they were young, they appear black, the color will gradually changed into yellow when they grew bigger.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6804678

This is the spawn that was left the next day!!!! I had 7 fry last year. Still have 5 of them. The other 2 just plain disappeared!!! Two of mine were black also. One has already turned a very nice yellow and is also iridescent. Have a couple of iridescent koi - probably a mix of koi and who knows what else. The other black one is in the process of turning - just head so far - will have to see how turns out. Two are just bright red and 1 is sorta light blue with some black - probably a shubunkin. Two summers ago I had hundreds and I mean hundreds of fry after a spawn. At first I thought I had tadpoles and put some in a container to watch. Finally took a jar of them to my koi lady. She said I had fish -- was amazed at how many I had. Could just put a container in the pond and come up with fry. She advised putting some in a separate container and keeping some in pond. Set up a spare rigid liner I had with pump and all and even got special food. They were starting to get some color and then in early fall they just started dying off in both places. Don't know what happened - but probably a good thing - I would have been looking for a lot of homes!

Thumbnail by cperdue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6818401

I was surprised that the pix turned out this well. I was out in the garden & heard the Heron's cry, my dog's bark. Looked up and snapped a pix and it turned out crystal clear. J.B. loves to chase the herons and egrets off the pier dispite my pleading for him not to do so. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6818457

That is a good clear photo, Kim, but it's hard to tell which end is the head and which is the feet! LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6818513

That it is! LOL, Marilyn. Here is the culprit that looks mightily proud having chased the heron off the pier. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6828400

Always love seeing your GBH & what a cute proud pooch with its tongue hanging out!

Early this morning, I found this pretty moth laying eggs, most are on the base of my concrete birdbath and a few fell in the mulch.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6828455

As you can see, a chunk of one of the wings is missing. Possibly to a bird pecking it? This is the 1st time I've actually witnessed a moth laying eggs, before I've only seen the aftermath reduced to wings.

DonnaB or anyone, I'd love to know its name? We have so many birds, is there anything I can do to protect the eggs?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6828487

That is really interesting!!! Amazed that you were actually able to get a photo!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6829243

beautiful Imperial Moth
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6829268

Thanks DonnaB. Is there anything I can do to save the eggs?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #6829506

did you cage it??? If you did and it is female she should lay her eggs in the cage. The eggs hatch in 10 to 14 days. Put them in small container with plenty of small air holes and provide fresh host plant leaves every day
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6830212

Wow, gorgeous moth and great that you were able to photograph it while it was laying eggs!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6831156

The moth was gone a couple hours later, so sorry I didn't know what to do for it.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6831473

FOV put the eggs in a plastic container if you want to raise them or at least move them to one of their host plants in container until they hatch. She must not have been able to make it to a host. If you choose to raise them their host plants are Basswood, Birch, Cedar, Elm, Maple, Oak, Pine, Sassafras, Sweet Gum, Sycamore, Walnut, and others. Must feed them the same plant the whole time. Can't change from one host to another
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6831476

oh forgot to say gently pop eggs off birdbath with a tooth pic into a cup. They glue them on
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6832523

Thanks so much for that advice, I'm going to try to raise them.

I was heartbroken when I found one of my Eastern Phoebes dead in the nest a few mornings ago. Hubby removed her and said she was cold. Remember those 2 new nests up in my eaves? The same bird laid eggs in 2 of them and we enjoyed watching her the previous day and several before that sitting on both. I don't have a clue what could have happened.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6832612

oh how sad.

After about 2 weeks in the container you need to move them to a net cage. I lost 14 of my Sweet Bay cats for leaving them to crowed. You can make a net cage with 2 embroidery hoops and the wedding veil like material. I get it for .50 cents a yard. I like to leave the material doubled. Just wrap it around the piece of hoop leaving about 4 to 6" over lap and put on the top piece and tighten down. Leave about 12" over the top. Twist the excess tight and make a knot in it and tie a string on to hang it with. Repeat for the bottom. The after knotting the bottom hanging it. You can undo the bottom to make it straighter. I have found that 1 1/2 yds. works bets. If you make the cage to tall the side want to gap open. If you need pic be happy to show you mine.

Always rinse yous leaves and make sure there are no spiders or any other bugs on it and shake vigorously. They do not have to be 100% dry. When you move to the net cage you can put a pot drip pan in the bottom and put a container of water with a lid in it to put branches in through tight holes in the lid. This will last you a few days until they get bigger(3 or 4 weeks) then they are eating machines. Make sure to dump the poop everyday. In the end you will probably put in 8 limbs of leave twice a day. Cut the limbs as tall as your cage. Count you caterpillars everyday so you know how many you have and don't accidentally throw one out. I leave the old leaves or branches for a day or 2 in a tray if I am missing any
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6834238

Wow, Donna, you are a veritable gold mine of information on how to care for those caterpillars!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6834318

I appreciate Donna shares her experience with raising butterflies/moths. Your love of nature inspires many, I myself included. Thanks. I've a family of Redheaded Woodpeckers nesting/making their home to a side yard. During my birding trip around our neighborhood I captured this pix.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6836329

Me too, Donna, thanks for your detailed advice & tutorial. Just hope I did everything right.

Nice WP shot. I've a Red Bellied but haven't been able to get close enough for a decent pic, and I often hear a Pileated when I go for a walk in our woods.

Here's a winged creature on a Canna leaf.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2009

Post #6838513

really freaky a Daddy Longlegs convention

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6838516

turtles

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6838620

FOTV, I think your winged friend maybe some sort of fly? The Daddy longlegs are unusually abundant in number. Donna, have they just hatched? I enjoy seeing turtles.

These young wrens are all around me. One got into the garage that needs quite a bit of 'encouragement' to get back to the outdoor.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6838694

lol we have the same problem. They are so noisy. We have to watch because they always want to make a nest on top of a shelf in there
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6847665

Had a visitor

Thumbnail by Riverland

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6847978

cool a soft shell turtle

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6848757

How neat! I've never seen a softshell turtle in person before. I've rescued a cicada out of the water this afternoon. Either it fell off the tree or bird misses their catch. I've heard this noisy critter outdoor. Then it stopped making noises, then my dog barked. As it turned out, fish was trying to have a shot at this poor fella floating on the water surface. I grabbed a stick and fished him out of danger. He was disoriented, thus stayed iddle for a long while there. Tomorrow when I hear him 'calls' for his mate, then I'll ask myself why I intervened. lol.

editted for typos.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2009 9:22 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6848847

Well this was my find this afternoon. This gross flat head worm! I found it in my flower bed on a plant tag. I put him in a jar so I could identify for sure. I've had these things before in my koi pond. Looked him up again, and he eats earthworms. Not good! Also if you cut him up new babies develop every time you cut him. Not good!! One variety eats slugs and snails. That is good! But only 1 variety out of all of them. So what are the chances your have one that eats slugs? Probably not very good!!! LOL

Thumbnail by cperdue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6848885

Okay Charlotte, let's do a science project. While you have it in a jar. Won't you find a snail/slug and put it in there and see what happens? lol.

Okay, this isn't birds nor bees, but a 'shroom' as Peggy would call it. (I like the term). It sure has been hot and humid outdoor.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6848940

Unfortunately that want take me but about 1 minute. I am finding tiny snails every where. Of course I can see those in the day time. Probably should drum up some entertainment and put some beer bait outside and then go out with my flashlight and watch the parade!! Don't laugh but I have done this. One time I will never forget. I was outside in the dark with my flashlight and my husband walks out and gives me the phone and just left without me finding out who was on the phone. When I answered this voice came back that sounded exactly like my mother who had died several months before, it took me several seconds to compose and realize that it was her sister. I had never realized they sounded so much alike.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6848971

It's amazing how family members will resemble another just as closely. Although, I was told when young I looked/took after my father. But the older I become, the more I look like my mother. Go figure! :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6850112

Charlotte, your story reminded me of the time many years ago that I received a phone call at work. When I answered the phone, the voice on the other end said "Hi!" and it sounded just like the way my mother said "Hi" whenever she would call me. My mother had been killed in a car wreck several years before that. I was literally speechless and couldn't say anything. After a long pause,the lady on the other end of the line finally told me who she was and we continued our conversation. Sometime later, I explained to her what had happened and she told me she remembered our conversation and wondered why I couldn't talk. I wanted her to know that I wasn't being rude--I was just shocked into silence!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6850528

Marilyn it is really weird how we notice things that we don't otherwise on the phone. Several years ago my best friend was visiting her daughter in TN and I needed to talk to her so I called her at her daughter's (before cell phones so common). I thought she had answered the phone and started trying to talk to her about whatever reason I had called. She told me she was not Judy but Carrie that Judy had gone out. I kept arguing with her that I knew she was Judy. She finally convinced me otherwise, after I had started getting really peeved at her. The 2 of them have personalities much alike and as I discovered sound exactly alike on the phone.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6850555

Yep, my DH -- to my surprise, said that my sister sounds just like me (over the phone line), minus my Southern accent. lol. Admittedly many others had said that about my sister...

I saw this Redheaded Woodpecker came by to check out on the seed feeder, but quickly decided that wasn't good enough, and took off. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

July 24, 2009

Post #6857477

LOL ... years ago my niece was working for me part time in an office where I worked ... never realized we sounded anything alike, until then. Everyone who called got us confused! Even her boyfriend and my husband - no one could tell us apart. I didn't understand until i came home one evening and was checking the recorder to find a message that I didn't remember leaving (I would sometimes leave messages to myself on the phone to remember to do something)... then I realized I had NOT left the message it was my niece! I laughed out loud at myself - even I couldn't tell our voices apart !! :-) Now, they say that my daughter and I sound alike on the phone - the boys and my husband can't tell us apart either!! So, I guess if we lived in a house where my sister, niece, Jessi and I lived together it would REALLY be a zoo.
I guess those genetics come out no matter what... or is it environment?? :) Charlotte, did you try your experiment???

Genna

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6859088

Welcome back Genna, isn't it wonderful how family turns out?

Look at my Woodpecker today, she looks mightly plumb. One would think she's ready to deliver any time now. Wouldn't you? I can't differentiate b/w the male and female, anyone can help me out here?.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6859664

Well, nature is harsh out there. Today I found some remnants on the above cicada (or one likes it) on my brug's leave! Ouch!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6860589

On the lighter node, I've my first Eastern Tigerswallowtail since early spring when Azaleas were blooming then.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6860930

My wild hobo (Siamese?) kitty behind some old gardening tools.
Here's "Shadow" with night-eye vision.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6860976

Hobo is cutest!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6861164

Cute kitty - looks siamese!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6861236

This was just a few minutes ago while Shadow (confirmed today to be a female) played with a squeaky mouse toy on a string. I splurged a whole $2 on that toy laced with catnip. Everyday she lets us get just a wee bit closer, here she's only 4' away, so focused on the mouse she forgot I was there.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6861296

She's so pretty!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6877052

We think Shadow's a Siamese too, although there are no others in the neighborhood. We're enjoying watching her play and grow.

Here's the first of two photos I took this morning of a gray moth. I'm hoping someone can provide an ID.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2009 5:23 PM

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6877060

Front view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6877113

it is a 5-spotted hawk moth I think if not then it is a Carolina Sphinx
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6877216

Thank you, DonnaB. The 5 orange spots on each side of its body were striking & what really caught my eye.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6878147

Hi Donna and FOTV, could your sphinx moth be this Catalpa sphinx moth? Do you know for instance if you've Catalpa tree growing wild in your area? Bird has brought me a tree couple of year old now, I'm eagerly waiting to see the the cats. as well as those sphinx moths. BTW, I've found one adult moth last year -- though, my young tree doesn't have any caterpillar yet this year. Waiting, waiting...
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/enpl/bulletins/catalpasphinx/photo1.htm

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6915172

A readheaded Woodpecker forages for food, not in my backyard but the front yard today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #6917742

Thanks for that info. My neighbor down the street has those trees, she calls them Catawba and says the "worms" give her the willies.

My hanging baskets had seen betters days so I cleaned them out last week and look what I found.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6918032

FOTV, ha, I haven't seen one in a while. Purple finch on suet feeder:

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

August 7, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6918218

I saw one of those hummingbird moths that ya'll were discussing the other day. It was fun to watch - he (or she) was flitting all over my yellow and red marbles 4:00s. First one that I had ever seen...

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6918234

I had a swam of the hummingbird moths the other day. I had just gotten out of my car and there must have been 25 to 30 of them just dipping and swooping all over the yard. There was one hummingbird in the bunch. Don't know why so many of them showed up.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6918305

Yes, those hummingbird moths are fun to watch. The 'Clearwings' hawk moths love my Butterfly bush for nectars. I often see them during the day light. However, other similiar 'hummingbird' moths seldomly will come out during the day.

Charlotte, it would have been great if you've captured some picture of the swamp.

Here I've a great big wasp. Its size is about twice the size of a yellow jacket, I think.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

August 7, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6918355

I thought about trying to get my camera - but I figured it would be gone before I could go get it so I just watched it for a while. It was late in the evening and I was watering plants...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6918406

Thought they would have been gone before I got back out and frankly I was just in awe - just stood there trying to figure out what was going on. This spring we had a swarm of birds that was just incredible. There were hundreds of birds in the front yard just swooping and swooping. Almost like some horror movie. The neighbor across the street has shrubs that had lots of berries this year. They stripped every berry of fthe shubs in a matter of a couple of hours. I went to church and when I got back all the birds were gone. But in my backyard the flagstone was covered and I mean covered in purple bird poop. Took forever for the stain to wash away.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6919649

What is this bug?

It measured about 2-1/2" long and looked like some sort of beetle dressed in battle gear

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6919652

Another view

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6919846

The hummingbird moths are out again! They are flying in one part of my front yard and in the yard across the street. I don't think there is any way I can get a photo. They never light while I am out. Again lots and lots of them. Not sure what is attracting them. I have turk's cap, obedient plant, crape myrtle, salvia, sweet bay magnolia and a few zinnias in the area they are in.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #6919971

Forgot there is also some lavender, cone flowers and a brug out there. I was just out staking up the obedient plant (not very obedient LOL) and when I turned around I realized one of the hummingbird moths was on the brug. It startled him when I moved and he flew off. Is it possible he could be responsible for some of the holes in my brug leaves?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6936534

FOTV, apparently none of us here recognized your beetle identity. Sorry, perhaps the insects I.D. forum can help out.

Charlotte, hummingbird moths they only take nectar from your flowers I think. Only their larva that may inflict some damage to your brugmansias. I've so many birds in the garden this year, the birds kept the number of insects in check this year. Though, every so often I do noticed some damages from caterpillars, but very minor a problem. Only the slugs and snails that have been proven to be bothersome this year.

Guess what came to the feeder today? I'll use the same pix above for a new thread, brb.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6936650

Kim your photography is so good!!! I could never get a shot like that.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2009

Post #6936687

Thanks Charlotte, the Redheaded Woodpeckers, this one came to the feeder after many days testing out the area for safety. Then finally brought his mate. They made my day!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6938179

We've a new thread! Thanks Genna for the reminder of the link. We went here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1026238/
belledonna
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7663157

I love to see the Bees! It means Spring is here and they are back to feed on the blooms! Yipee!

Thumbnail by belledonna

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7663175

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1079490/
belladonna come join us on our 7th thread

I agree. I was glad to see them but I could not get near my redbud tree.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America